Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The good ol’ days

Callers to a NZ talkback station were complaining about the cold and the high cost of running heat pumps and central heating.  They were reminded of kids in the old days walking to school in bare feet through ice and frost who would stand in fresh cow pats to warm their feet up.  Kids these days, don’t know they’re alive do they.

Comments

• Options
    The nuns would beat you in the good old days.
  • Options
    Aaah, the good old days. ... outside toilets, tin baths in the scullery, mumps, measles and rubella. 

On second thoughts, nope. 
  • Options
    Peanuts were a tanner a bag...
  • Options
    Down at the Old Bull and Bush - what a load of old shite.
  • Options
    Callers to a NZ talkback station were complaining about the cold and the high cost of running heat pumps and central heating.  They were reminded of kids in the old days walking to school in bare feet through ice and frost who would stand in fresh cow pats to warm their feet up.  Kids these days, don’t know they’re alive do they.
    Cow pats to warm your feet?  Sheer bloody luxury!
  • Options
    The good old days. When people respected each other. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    redbuttle said:
    Oh, it was also when women dressed like women and men dressed like men...

• Options
    Walking home from Sherrington Road Junior School with my sister (me age 7, her 9) in a pea-souper fog around 1962 when the school was closed early. I know there wasn’t as much road traffic then but cannot imagine a school allowing that nowadays!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Walking home from Sherrington Road Junior School with my sister (me age 7, her 9) in a pea-souper fog around 1962 when the school was closed early. I know there wasn’t as much road traffic then but cannot imagine a school allowing that nowadays!
    I went to SJB around that time and recall there was one week where my mum told me I didn’t have to go to school because of the fog and regularly keeping watch out the window to make sure I still couldn’t see the other side the of the road... happy days 

• Options
    I was telling my kids about my memories of getting to school in the mid 60s. The 3 of us used to take turns to wash in a bowl around the fire, where we got dressed. 

It was always so cold that a balaclava was mandatory under your parka coat as were woollens. It was nearly always foggy, but on route to school, sightings of hedgehogs and stray dogs were regular occurrences.

• Options
    I was telling my kids about my memories of getting to school in the mid 60s. The 3 of us used to take turns to wash in a bowl around the fire, where we got dressed. 

It was always so cold that a balaclava was mandatory under your parka coat as were woollens. It was nearly always foggy, but on route to school, sightings of hedgehogs and stray dogs were regular occurrences.

Balaclavas...blimey, that brings back memories 
  • Options
    I remember that ... walking from Our Lady of Grace primary to Victoria Way ... couldn’t even see the other side of the road.  
  • Options
    edited May 2021

But do they believe you, our don’t really, they can’t believe that we survived, and things like the cane actually happened, and that we look back fondly on those days, let’s be honest it was hard but we had the freedom to go out and play for all the daylight hours, if you got yourselves into trouble you got punished, if you were lucky it might have been a clip round the ear by the local Bobby, but if you crossed the line then the copper came round and told your parents, that when it got a bit naughty. But that what all we knew, it was a totally different world to now. As an example I vividly remember seeing my first coloured person, i was around 10, but he stuck in my mind, nice lad called Dyer and he made everyone laugh in registration, you had your name called out and had to say here, well a group of 30 boys hearing Dyer here, caused chaos, think we got a hundred lines each, saying “we must laugh in registration. Things were so much simpler then.
  • Options
    I think people make up the “we used to walk 20 miles to school in our bare feet” stuff. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dipheria and ricketts was pretty cool by all accounts but the one my old grandparents missed most was the black death.  Now there was a disease...
  • Options

But do they believe you, our don’t really, they can’t believe that we survived, and things like the cane actually happened, and that we look back fondly on those days, let’s be honest it was hard but we had the freedom to go out and play for all the daylight hours, if you got yourselves into trouble you got punished, if you were lucky it might have been a clip round the ear by the local Bobby, but if you crossed the line then the copper came round and told your parents, that when it got a bit naughty. But that what all we knew, it was a totally different world to now. As an example I vividly remember seeing my first coloured person, i was around 10, but he stuck in my mind, nice lad called Dyer and he made everyone laugh in registration, you had your name called out and had to say here, well a group of 30 boys hearing Dyer here, caused chaos, think we got a hundred lines each, saying “we must laugh in registration. Things were so much simpler then.
    Sounds amazing. Nothing like this was happening when I was a kid 🙄
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think people make up the “we used to walk 20 miles to school in our bare feet” stuff. 
    I agree - most people had shoes, or at least socks.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Nope, our parents walked bare foot to school.
    But that was rural Ireland in the 30\40’s.
    And because of that they were never in too much of a hurry to modernise.
    By the time I was going to school in the 70’s I was still waking up to ice inside the windows. Dressing in front of the gas fire listening to the Hairy Cornflake and realising my one pair of school shoes per term had already worn a hole in the sole & that until Dad could get to Woolworths to get a new sole, the cut out from the tissue box would have to do.

Was it better? I didn’t know any different but I have only fond memories of my young childhood. It was only when my siblings left & it was just myself & my parents & all my friends had moved on (central heating, video recorders etc) that it felt a bit shite tbh.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    redbuttle said:
    Yeaaaahhh and you could call a poof a poof, be openly racist and hit children. What a time to be alive...

It was a serious comment. All those things still happen today.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    se9addick said:
    Kids can't walk 20 yards to school now, mummy has to transport them in a massive 4x4 vehicle with mum ensuring that have a bottle of water so they don't dehydrate.
  • Options
    I’ve got a genuine one:

Buying a house, surely this was easier/better back in the good ole days??  
  • Options
    I’ve got a genuine one:

Buying a house, surely this was easier/better back in the good ole days??  
    Say good ole days I mean 80s/90s, low deposits and easier to get on the ladder.