Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• It looks like we will be relying on loans after stating we won't be relying on loans this season.

The LB situation is just odd. At least Roddy will get a runout against Gillingham. 
  • se9addick said:
    I wonder if TS is going to do the RD season review plan in January i.e if there's a chance of promotion in January, boost the squad, if it's not likely keep your money in your pocket for the summer. 

RD was an arse (we all agree), but one who tended to think as a businessman and not a fan. What kind of an owner is TS on financial risk and the acceptance of financial loss?
    He’s more likely to be doing a “season review plan” in January to see what he needs to invest to avoid relegation at this rate!

Is there an award for most disappointing (not worst) transfer window ever? Does this one win it?
    The summer Dowie (I think) brought in Traore, Faye and an old lazy Hasselbaink was disappointing. Although I think we did bring in Carson too, so there was a positive.
  • Lot of managers across the country are saying they want another 3/4 before the close but it’s proving very difficult this year … bit of a stalemate as teams want to get a player in before they release anyone 
  • What I can't understand is how it is difficult to get the loan signings in, surely that is the same as every other bloody year? Chelsea must still have about 400 youth players kicking around
  • mendonca said:
    It looks like we will be relying on loans after stating we won't be relying on loans this season.

The LB situation is just odd. At least Roddy will get a runout against Gillingham. 
    Why it odd ? Purrington and Gunter are more then capable in that position why waste budget plus Matthews can play there as well so can Barker . At most it was always and only going to be a loan coming never a perm left back 
    1) Purrington is injured
    2) Yes Gunter is capable but only to an OK extent. A more natural left footer would get the ball quicker to the forward players and, more importantly, give us options to change formations between and during matches.

I feel the lack of a decent LB who can also perform well as a LWB is the biggest contributor to us looking so one dimensional at the moment.
  • Scoham said:
    We’re gambling on loans at the end of the window. And maybe players like Sims accepting a squad player wage.
    Yep, seems that way! 
  • Valley11 said:
    And while we’re on bizarre decisions; why was Maynard-Brewer sent to Ross County to sit on the bench?! He could do that here. 
    We give game time to kids who aren’t ready but a keeper who was number two all last season, is sent to Scotland.
    Something definitely feels awry with our recruitment team. 
    Broadly agree but a player’s development isn’t only about game time although that’s the most important aspect. Maynard-Brewer has been at Charlton a long time. Getting out to any other football environment where things are different and done differently will benefit his experience. I think it’s obvious quite early that the club wanted AMB to get out on loan and perhaps after extensive enquiries, Ross County were the only option. Regardless of how many games he plays, he’ll come back better for the time spent there. 
  • mendonca said:
    It looks like we will be relying on loans after stating we won't be relying on loans this season.

Why it odd ? Purrington and Gunter are more then capable in that position why waste budget plus Matthews can play there as well so can Barker . At most it was always and only going to be a loan coming never a perm left back 
    I don't know what you've been watching but as much as he tries, Gunter is not more than capable in that position 
  • Sponsored links:

• What I can't understand is how it is difficult to get the loan signings in, surely that is the same as every other bloody year? Chelsea must still have about 400 youth players kicking around
    You still have to pay to take players on loan. It would be more difficult for us if we're not willing to pay as much.

I would hazard a guess that Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc. would rather send players to us over the likes of MK Dons, Cambridge and Lincoln given the loan fee is the same.
  • Gunter is currently our first choice right back, centre back cover AND left back cover. Not ideal in the slightest.
  • se9addick said:
    I wonder if TS is going to do the RD season review plan in January i.e if there's a chance of promotion in January, boost the squad, if it's not likely keep your money in your pocket for the summer. 

RD was an arse (we all agree), but one who tended to think as a businessman and not a fan. What kind of an owner is TS on financial risk and the acceptance of financial loss?
    He’s more likely to be doing a “season review plan” in January to see what he needs to invest to avoid relegation at this rate!

Is there an award for most disappointing (not worst) transfer window ever? Does this one win it?
    The summer Dowie (I think) brought in Traore, Faye and an old lazy Hasselbaink was disappointing. Although I think we did bring in Carson too, so there was a positive.
    Also Andy Reid. On the down side we also signed Simon Walton that summer as well.
  • mendonca said:

I’m certain a LB will arrive and will be first choice not cover. 
  • mendonca said:

Got to be on a wind up. Gunter isn't even a good right back let alone left back, i'm sure he was a few years ago but not now. One of the most limited footballers i've seen at Charlton for a long time.
  • edited August 2021
    mendonca said:

Gunter is dreadful at Left Back. It says a lot about him that we can’t wait for Purrington to get back in the team. As for Matthews and Barker - why would you want to play another 2 right footed players out of position? Have you not learned anything over the years? Playing people on their weaker side is an accident waiting to happen.

Should Gunter play LB again on Saturday, watch him. He just slows things down whilst he gets the ball on to his right foot. When he does use his left it tends to go to nobody or out of play. We need a left back and we have done since pre season - not signing one is laughable. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Scoham said:
    We’re gambling on loans at the end of the window. And maybe players like Sims accepting a squad player wage.

There will be a lot of players willing to accept a squad player wage - the alternative will be unemployment. The current state of lower league football is parlous.
    There are and I don't think I would describe it as gambling on loans and cheap frees. 

I believe they have a value they are prepared to pay in both wages and fee.  If they don't get it at that value they don't do it.  It took us 8 months to get Kirk at the value we  wanted.

On its own that approach is to be applauded and almost everyone has said they don't want to see us paying outrageous wages, like it is alleged Ipswich and others are doing.

You don't also spend your last 100k on Clare if your skint.

However the lack of urgency and agility shown is worrying.   Even it if it is compounded by the absence of Gilbey, Purrington and Schwartz.

In the round it isn't good enough, yet.  There is still time to fix it, but it is fast running out.  Will it be enough?  None of us really know we are only guessing. 
  • Ross said:
    Gunter is currently our first choice right back, centre back cover AND left back cover. Not ideal in the slightest.
    We all dream of a team of Chris Gunter’s………
  • masicat said:
    This is starting to feel like a previous window when we were all set up to believe our twat of a Chairman was trying to sign many players, and we couldn’t sign any because we had an embargo on. Whilst it’s understandable that some want to defend TS at all costs, it does feel as though we have been played and something is seriously wrong. For the first time in this division we have a relegation team. A couple of additions won’t change things, the planning has gone.

I don't think too many people are defending the owner at all costs. It's a matter of trying to be balanced. The guy has a company worth (I believe) around 500m USD. This isn't unending wealth, in fact it's pretty similar to RD. I think around 99.9% of the fanbase are between very angry and unimpressed with the way the transfer window has spun out - we all expected much much better. But bear in mind we can't compete with the wages Ipswich and Wigan are splashing - and I don't see anyone volunteering to make that happen.
    I don't know the exact procedure behind the transfer commitee, but it looks unwieldy and incompetent as it stands. gallen has bought both good and bad players in but the addition of ged Roddy has added nothing good to the mix. Too late now but TS badly needs to revamp our scouting. But bear in mind we had a very good scouting system which RD unravelled to cut costs. People want instant success but we lost a lot of personell at the club as RD sought to make it cheaper for potential buyers, and that infrastructure needs to be put back into place.
    So yeah, we have built a squad nobody wanted, and unless we have a major turnaround, this season is pretty much wasted. But nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes.
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:

Isn’t the game going to be called off as we have 3 away on international duty?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    What about Carney Chukwuemeka and Caleb Chukwuemeka from Villa? 

If they get knocked down they will get back up again.......... 
    That was terrible, but for some reason tickled me!

On a serious note, the younger one looks a real prospect, but only 18 in a couple of months so a big gamble. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    What about Carney Chukwuemeka and Caleb Chukwuemeka from Villa? 

If they get knocked down they will get back up again.......... 
    That was terrible, but for some reason tickled me!

On a serious note, the younger one looks a real prospect, but only 18 in a couple of months so a big gamble. 
    If it was that bad let me buy you a drink.  Whisky, vodka, larger, cider? 
  • mendonca said:

• My expectation (based upon some guesstimates and looking at the probably-Mickey-Mouse-but-might-have-something SalarySport numbers) is that we are going to get a couple of loans in and maybe one more permanent squad player. Maybe a couple of permanents if you count a second keeper picked up on a free. The very clear objective of this transfer window was to keep within the salary budget and fill some of the gaps in the squad.

Not all of those gaps will be filled. I suspect that decisions are currently being made as to which loans are being made and in which positions. I would hope that we move heaven and earth to ensure that one of them is a quality midfielder, preferably with the capacity to play week in, week out until JFC/Gilbey are back. After what happened with Gallagher, I suspect most PL sides probably don't want us doing that with anyone super young. So another around the age of Morgan might be better.

As for the others, a two-footed, truly versatile full back with pace would also be perfect, but at a push, it needs to be a left back to support Kirk. Not a journeyman like Gunter, someone with something to prove. I'd love to see a pacey centre forward come in like Leko, but that'll be over the limit of our wage bill.

NA has said he's looking to get a handful of players - honestly, that says to me 2-3, plus a freebie, cheap keeper. It won't be the 5-7 people have spoken about previously. If they don't come in before Crewe on Saturday, I'll be disappointed, but I suspect that it'll be brinksmanship until deadline day.
  • In hindsight there's been a few red flags for me -

- Not signing CB cover last January and continuing to play Gunter as cover.
    - Taking too long to sign Stockley last January.
    - Again taking too long to sign Stockley this summer and almost losing him to Portsmouth.
    - Not signing LB cover and playing Gunter out of position.
    - Giving Albie Morgan the number 10 shirt.

We're trying to do things on the cheap.
    But how does that tie in with signing DJ, Stockley (eventually) and Kirk?
  • I wonder if TS is going to do the RD season review plan in January i.e if there's a chance of promotion in January, boost the squad, if it's not likely keep your money in your pocket for the summer. 

He'll be needing a lot of it next summer given the amount of players that we have out of contract (as it stands) an even bigger rebuild than this window.

Was hoping for 4 Kirk level signings throughout the spine to cut out the summer overhauls but doesn't look likely now. 

• Does anyone think that any League 1 side is currently happy with their squad ? - seems all are looking for the same type of players now. 
  • Any rumours today?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!