Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Thus is still a "Covid" season.  With so many games in League 1 and such a thin squad, we have no chance of promotion as it stands.

The other teams in the same position as us will find the same thing.   That's why we need a minimum of 6-8 signings, including loans in, very quickly. 

• Plenty of people on here said if we kept Inniss and Famewo in the defence we would piss this league, well they are…. An we won’t be.  Still hanging on just a little hope …. But, playoffs looking height of our ambition. 
    We won't piss the league but if those 2 stay fit (big if of course), then i'd expect us to concede at least 15 less goals over the course of the season.

Inniss started 12 games last season and we conceded 6 goals.
    In the other 34 games, we conceded 50.

A lot of people (myself included) are asking where are the goals going to come from, but with a much more solid defence that doesn't have Pratley and Gunter as it's centre backs, we'll be conceding a lot less and will pick up more points that way, rather than needing to beat teams 3-2 or 4-3.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Plenty of people on here said if we kept Inniss and Famewo in the defence we would piss this league, well they are…. An we won’t be.  Still hanging on just a little hope …. But, playoffs looking height of our ambition. 
    We haven’t played a competitive game and the window is still open. We are slightly behind where we thought but so are most teams.

Anything is possible.
    Personally I think we are “slightly behind “ having the same squad as last year, which failed to get promoted.

From what I have seen we have not improved any positions, we have just replaced players we have sold with a similar standard of player apart of course Chuks who we haven’t replaced at all.

• ButtleJR said:
    There are some crazy people out there.

Adkins came in, managed 10 games, lost 1. Clearly hasn't been given the transfer funds he was promised and there's plenty of stories/rumours about the budget being cut. But yes let's sack him! 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Plenty of people on here said if we kept Inniss and Famewo in the defence we would piss this league, well they are…. An we won’t be.  Still hanging on just a little hope …. But, playoffs looking height of our ambition. 
    We haven’t played a competitive game and the window is still open. We are slightly behind where we thought but so are most teams.

Anything is possible.
    Personally I think we are “slightly behind “ having the same squad as last year, which failed to get promoted.

From what I have seen we have not improved any positions, we have just replaced players we have sold with a similar standard of player apart of course Chuks who we haven’t replaced at all.

So you don't think that Clare and Dobson are an improvement on Pratley and Watson? 
    Maybe slightly but still early days. As things stand any injuries especially to Stockley or suspensions will cripple us.  Based on the comments of TS and NA I was not expecting to be in this position. 

I was commenting on the “slightly behind “ comment above, we are not, we are a long way behind of having squad depth to mount a promotion challenge 
    I agree we do not have the squad strength to mount a promotion challenge at the moment. A couple of injuries and we are in big trouble. And as ever I don't think TS or NA, or clearly many of clubs, predicted how difficult the transfer market would be this year.

Thankfully, looking at pre season, we have a strong first XI who seem to be playing good football and still 4 weeks of transfer window left.

Players will come in, a if they are in the mould of Clare and Dobson then we will be in a very good place. 
  • The starting 11 I'd rate at being the same as the one that finished last season.

Gilbey - B2B(ish)
    pratson - Ball winner
    JFC - B2B

So far this season we have better balance,

Morgan -passer
    Dobson - Ball winner 
    Clare - B2B

Younger, fitter better. And we still have Gilbey and JFC.

Midfield +1  on last season

Forwards... We had 2.5 really, with Washington playing out wide most.of the time and Schwartz not fancied

Stockley
    Aneke
    Washington
    Schwartz

As it stands we're heading into this season with, effectively, 2.

Stockley
    Davisson
    Washington
    Schwartz

Washington is still 1st choice winger and Schwartz is busy running around a bit and doing sports science stuff.

Forward -1 on last season
  • At least our subs won't be overly defensive from the first game to the end of the transfer window! 

...they might not be overly attacking either ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• The starting 11 I'd rate at being the same as the one that finished last season.

Gilbey - B2B(ish)
    pratson - Ball winner
    JFC - B2B

So far this season we have better balance,

Morgan -passer
    Dobson - Ball winner 
    Clare - B2B

Younger, fitter better. And we still have Gilbey and JFC.

Midfield +1  on last season

Forwards... We had 2.5 really, with Washington playing out wide most.of the time and Schwartz not fancied

Stockley
    Aneke
    Washington
    Schwartz

As it stands we're heading into this season with, effectively, 2.

Stockley
    Davisson
    Washington
    Schwartz

Washington is still 1st choice winger and Schwartz is busy running around a bit and doing sports science stuff.

Forward -1 on last season
    Forward -1 our top goal scorer. I know we’re working on transfers but atm we’re miles behind where I thought we’d be now.  
  • ButtleJR said:
    I’m pretty certain it’s real and that’s not his first account. I doubt it’s a wind up because he’s been doing it for so long and other fans rarely interact. Can’t see many fake accounts going so long when they don’t get many bites. Probably muted or blocked by a lot of fans.
  • Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    There are some crazy people out there.

Adkins came in, managed 10 games, lost 1. Clearly hasn't been given the transfer funds he was promised and there's plenty of stories/rumours about the budget being cut. But yes let's sack him! 
    Ignoring the tweet why is it clear NA hasn’t been given the funds promised? Regardless of budget if clubs are asking for £1m or £2m+ for good young L1 players then even Ipswich probably aren’t going to pay it.

I think the rumours about budget cuts are likely to be speculation which becomes accepted as the truth because it appears to fit what’s going on. If the budget really had been cut NA won’t be here long, he said himself he wanted the right job. He didn’t stay at Hull, another club who have had ownership issues.

Most other clubs in the division are having the same problem. That suggests it’s caused by the market rather than the budget.

This year is very different to 10 years ago when we were able to sign Stephens, Green Wiggins, Hamer and Morrison for a rumoured £1m between them. Transfer fees are higher, we’ve had the Euros and Copa America in the same summer, Brexit limiting signings from abroad, the impact of Covid and new owners at Ipswich and Wigan paying big wages.

I’m expecting a busy end to the window across all leagues, including from us. Hopefully we’ll bring in a couple of exciting young permanent signings and end the speculation about budget cuts.
    There was a post on here last week from someone who had a contact within the club who said Nige was reportedly not overly impressed as the budget had been cut. 

Of course it might be complete nonsense but after all it is a rumour and this is the rumour thread. 
  • So I guess, in an ideal world, a manager who loses/gets rid of half his squad in the close season would bring in just a few players, play a few games and see where the gaps really are and what type of players he then actually needs then start looking to bring them in rather than bring a load of players in and hope they all fit together. Obviously balancing that approach with a looming season start is the tricky part but if you can get a pretty decent team out for the first few games then having back up for spaces isn’t such a pressing urgency.
  • There was one I shared from Twitter but it was then pointed out where it likely came from which put doubts on how reliable it was.

As you say it might be complete nonsense, which is why I questioned why you said it was clear he hasn’t been given the budget he was promised. The lack of activity isn’t proof of that, it might simply be clubs, players and agents asking for a lot more than we want to pay. It would explain why so many other clubs also need several more signings.
  • Leuth said:
    Spotted some seriously exciting talent... 

...but eventually got around to the important business of tribal expression 
    You look different without your cloak & broomstick
  • Scoham said:
    There was one I shared from Twitter but it was then pointed out where it likely came from which put doubts on how reliable it was.

As you say it might be complete nonsense, which is why I questioned why you said it was clear he hasn’t been given the budget he was promised. The lack of activity isn’t proof of that, it might simply be clubs, players and agents asking for a lot more than we want to pay. It would explain why so many other clubs also need several more signings.
    This side of the start of the season clubs and agents will be asking silly money for players because they know there will be mugs that will pay it. Come Saturday the window starts counting down and those clubs that desperately need to bring transfer fee money in or get a player off their payroll to survive, ie most clubs outside the PL, will begin to be more and more realistic in what they can get.
  • Addickted said:
    mendonca said:
    What happened to the player who definitely signed 2 Friday's ago now? 
    He's isolating round Ronnies.
    It appears Ronnie is isolated now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    There was one I shared from Twitter but it was then pointed out where it likely came from which put doubts on how reliable it was.

This side of the start of the season clubs and agents will be asking silly money for players because they know there will be mugs that will pay it. Come Saturday the window starts counting down and those clubs that desperately need to bring transfer fee money in or get a player off their payroll to survive, ie most clubs outside the PL, will begin to be more and more realistic in what they can get.
    Clubs will also be wanting to upgrade their squads, but will not be letting them go until they have replacements. The Premier League has been slow so far, but when they make their moves the market will liven up down the pyramid. As always.

• Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:

Clubs will also be wanting to upgrade their squads, but will not be letting them go until they have replacements. The Premier League has been slow so far, but when they make their moves the market will liven up down the pyramid. As always.

A good performance on and off the pitch on Saturday, live on Sky, might go a long way to opening up a few opportunities to getting some PL loans coming our way that might otherwise go elsewhere 
  • To be honest I don’t want more than one PL youngster. Much prefer to get some experienced but surplus Championship loans in. Adkins needs players that can regularly start not ones that are just arriving for experience. There are always exceptions of course but that’s what I’d prefer as a strategy.
  • ButtleJR said:
    What does he expect NA to do ? Rob Thomas and buy players or spend his money behind his back hoping he won't notice the new players. 
    Clough did that at Derby... 
  • Scoham said:

Hope so. Some clubs may have a few players they could sell but might only need to sell one. We probably need a long list of options per position to work through as we’ll likely be competing with several clubs for the same players.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Hope so. Some clubs may have a few players they could sell but might only need to sell one. We probably need a long list of options per position to work through as we’ll likely be competing with several clubs for the same players.
    Given what’s happened because of COVID I doubt there are that many clubs in a position to sign players. Finances are probably shot to pieces across the leagues. TS has brought stability and a boost to Charlton and he he has seen his main business put in a good performance. I suspect those two scenarios aren’t being matched at too many clubs at the moment, certainly not in our league and the ones where there has been some money thrown at the transfer budget look like they gone out and been spending it like kids in a sweet shop. 
  • Jac_52 said:
    mendonca said:
    Are we backing NA in the transfer market? 

Just something does not seem right to me at the moment. You don't bring in an experienced and proven manager like him, get everybody on board about a huge rebuild. We have 3 "Senior" pros in Ronnie, Gilbey and Watson who have hardly played any pre-season minutes, let alone the new boys. The AMB situation still looms. 

One thing NA wanted at the end of last season - to replace squad players with first team players and reduce the average age of the team. Recently Gallen mentioned how we might bring in some experienced players to help for a season or two. We might have grossly misread and understood the transfer market this season. I feel we have.

I think we are very unprepared and weaker than how we ended the season.

I think we're very prepared in terms of the actual football. I also don't think we're really weaker than last year. Our midfield is such a huge upgrade already in terms of mobility and playing style, we're just severely lacking depth.

Hope you're right mate and hope we have less injuries than we seemed to have past few years as the lack of depth really concerns me.
    I should imagine the lack of depth concerns Adkins also.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!