Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your biggest disappointment of a wasted musical talent?

Comments

• The Redskins. Absolute quality band but gave it up because pop stardom wasn't compatible with their political ideology. 
  • Stig said:
    The Redskins. Absolute quality band but gave it up because pop stardom wasn't compatible with their political ideology. 
    UKIP ? 🤭
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Jake Bugg seemed like the new Don McLean when he first appeared. But he wasn’t writing his own stuff back then. At least not on his own. Whatever he’s churning out now is a long way from what I was hoping to hear from him. 

Also, the first Stereophonics album was was incredible. But as soon as Jones left his home town his lyric writing went to shit. He started telling stories about his holidays. And Dakota has a great melody but I cannot get over how bad the lyrics are. “Thinking about thinking of you. I think it was June.... yeah... I think it was June”

They had a wobble but over the last 10 years Kelly Jones songwriting has gone up another level. Before anyone knew our name, c'est la vie, mr and Mrs Smith just off the top of my head. The first 2 albums are why I love them but still his voice is amazing and while the albums now are a bit more for him than the charts they are wonderful. Dakota is a good example of him trying to fart stuff out but once he got that out of his system he truly hit his stride 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Terence Trent Darby 

amazing voice, fantastic first album then disappeared up his own arse. 
    You just watched that top of the pops program as well didn't you?
  • edited May 2021
    Stig said:
    The Redskins. Absolute quality band but gave it up because pop stardom wasn't compatible with their political ideology. 
    Great band, but I thought they split up because they thought they’d reached their peak and could only go downhill, so called it a day. 
  • Roy Ayers! I know for a fact he has turned down Pharrell, Kanye, Tyler and Pete Rock producing a whole album for him on many occasions  cos Roy still got it!? Such a shame as the legend he is has had no revelance with new music since maybe 88? I know the above mentioned producers were desperate to recreate the ubiquity sound with Roy but was left to late until he collaborated with Adrian Young on Jazz is dead, last year. Sadly the vocals and the vibe playing is long gone. But Roy will always live in through his back catalogue and being the most sampled man in hip-hop! Poo Poo La La!
  • Roy Ayers! I know for a fact he has turned down Pharrell, Kanye, Tyler and Pete Rock producing a whole album for him on many occasions  cos Roy still got it!? Such a shame as the legend he is has had no revelance with new music since maybe 88? I know the above mentioned producers were desperate to recreate the ubiquity sound with Roy but was left to late until he collaborated with Adrian Young on Jazz is dead, last year. Sadly the vocals and the vibe playing is long gone. But Roy will always live in through his back catalogue and being the most sampled man in hip-hop! Poo Poo La La!
    One of my favourite artists, seen him live countless times since the 80’s. His last decent album was I’m the One in ‘87 but he always puts on a good show.

I was listening to West Coast Vibes, his first album from ‘63 during the week. Bought it to complete the collection years ago but didn’t have a turntable to play it on until recently. It’s about twice the thickness of modern vinyl and has absolutely no give.

He’s playing the Jazz Cafe in August this year.
  • Pete Doherty
    Interesting, Peter Doherty is one hell of a songsmith. The first two Libertines records are superb. Certainly glimmers in both Babyshambles and the solo stuff. The guy really wasted a lot of time on the brown and the crack. 
  • Uboat said:
    Stig said:
    Great band, but I thought they split up because they thought they’d reached their peak and could only go downhill, so called it a day. 
    My understanding was that the SWP put a lot of pressure on them to stop. Could be wrong though. Either way, it's a shame they didn't do more - unless they were right and knew they didn't have any more in them 😉
  • Sponsored links:

One of my favourite artists, seen him live countless times since the 80’s. His last decent album was I’m the One in ‘87 but he always puts on a good show.

I was listening to West Coast Vibes, his first album from ‘63 during the week. Bought it to complete the collection years ago but didn’t have a turntable to play it on until recently. It’s about twice the thickness of modern vinyl and has absolutely no give.

My favorite artist! Comparing I'm the one to west coast vibes confirms what a musical journey he Made! Just a shame he ended up down the smooth jazz vibe when many influential hip-hop producers wanted to work with him. 
    Many a happy night seeing Roy at Ronnie's or the Jazz cafe!
  • Lee Mavers. The La's is a 35 minute masterpiece. Not a wasted note or beat on the whole record.
  • McBobbin said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Terence Trent Darby 

amazing voice, fantastic first album then disappeared up his own arse. 
    You just watched that top of the pops program as well didn't you?
    Nope. Wife’s birthday and her brothers family were over. Earlier asked “Alexa, play some classic 80’s music’ and one of the songs that played was Dance Little Sister 
  • Not a waste,but Albert lee has spent his career as a backing musician and playing with his various bands at small clubs usually in front of around 200 people.He remains one of the finest musicians to have lived and certainly deserves the same accolades that have been bestowed upon the likes of Jimmy Page,Clapton,Knopfler etc.
  • Not a waste,but Albert lee has spent his career as a backing musician and playing with his various bands at small clubs usually in front of around 200 people.He remains one of the finest musicians to have lived and certainly deserves the same accolades that have been bestowed upon the likes of Jimmy Page,Clapton,Knopfler etc.
    and he lived in Charlton.
    and he lived in Charlton.
    Yes he did,I was fortunate enough to hear him play when he was about 17 at a friends house near blackheath Standard,and new straight away that this kid was something special.
  • edited May 2021
    Not sure about wasted but Gavin Clarke was such a talented vocalist and writer, like so many it was the raw edge he felt inside that made his songs so powerful and sadly led him, to a far too early death.

@DaveMehmet you can still get stuff released on heavyweight vinyl if you go to the right places, you aint seen me right ;)

I have to say Hendrix, imagine if he’d still been around all these years...

Muse have become an over bloated self satisfied parody now, as someone said earlier.

Just want the nice breads.
  • 10cc....3 fantastic albums then split just as they made it big. Although they all went on and had hits and other projects, but they were never the same. There was a documentary 5 years ago about it, and it's worth watching.
  • Sponsored links:

• siblers said:
    Muse. They were amazing, absolutely loved them and then they released The Resistance in 09 and it  was the start of the decline, the stuff they're releasing now is like a parody of themselves. It's awful garbage 
    The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread. I’m actually listening to a podcast series about them at the moment which is very good.

Origin of Symmetry, Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations were strong enough to make me think that we were on the verge of having the next dominating rock band for our generation, and then it just petered out so quickly.
  • Elliott Smith. Although he made several amazing albums it's a tragic story. There is a great documentary on him called Heaven Adores You.

Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel comes to mind too.
  • The tramp from Gavin Brier's 'Jesus blood never failed  me yet' when they came back under the bridge to talk royalties,  he was no longer there
    That is such a great track
  • Amy was a genius songwriter and singer.

Certainly a wasted, in both senses, talent.
  • edited May 2021
    Stig said:
    Uboat said:
    Stig said:
    My understanding was that the SWP put a lot of pressure on them to stop. Could be wrong though. Either way, it's a shame they didn't do more - unless they were right and knew they didn't have any more in them 😉
    Didn't know that - I had him down as an excellent striker, not a political activist. I still think Bradley was better.
  • edited May 2021
    Bucks Fizz were never the same after Jay left, who knows what other classics they could have produced....
  • Jeff Buckley.

Such as shame.  Such a waste.
    And part of surely a unique father-and-son combo for this topic.
  • Jeff Buckley.

Such as shame.  Such a waste.
    This is who I came here to say
  • edited May 2021
    Syd Barrett. Cooked his brain with LSD, would spend pink floyd gigs staring into space and eventually the band stopped picking him up before gigs. He then randomly turned up to the studio when they were recording “wish you were here” - an album dedicated to their friend, overweight and bald, trying to brush his teeth by jumping up and down whilst holding his toothbrush still.

his rhythm guitar playing was great and his lyrics had a delicate English charm to them. What a waste.
  • Apartment.
    Loved 'The Dreamer Evasive' album....then they split up.