Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your biggest disappointment of a wasted musical talent?

Mine is Noddy Holder......it would be fair to say that he has done pretty well out of the dross pop that Slade dished up.
However, this guy has/had one of the greatest voices out there.
I would love to have seen him go into a studio with some of the worlds finest session musicians, a top drawer producer, along with flagging up some respected song writers who could join the project and raise the platform.
I never quite understood why Noddy shied away from this path?
Joe Cocker, Stevie Nicks and Robert Palmer were examples of the kind of material I would love to have seen him rival......I am certain he could have attained world fame and attention.
He had a great stage presence too, would love to have seen him backed by real talented session musicians and even a string section and toured selling out major arenas, yet strangely he tied his horse to the world of pop.......IMHO a sadly missed opportunity of the first order.
Oh Noddy......what might have been!

Comments

• Take a listen to Terry Reid.

He was asked to join Led Zeppelin before Robert Plant, but turned them down. What a waste...
  • SoundAsa£ said: up
    Mine is Noddy Holder......it would be fair to say that he has done pretty well out of the dross pop that Slade dished up.
    I would love to have seen him go into a studio with some of the worlds finest session musicians, a top drawer producer, along with flagging up some respected song writers who could join the project and raise the platform.
    Joe Cocker, Stevie Nicks and Robert Palmer were examples of the kind of material I would love to have seen him rival......I am certain he could have attained world fame and attention.
    He had a great stage presence too, would love to have seen him backed by real talented session musicians and even a string section and toured selling out major arenas, yet strangely he tied his horse to the world of pop.......IMHO a sadly missed opportunity of the first order.
    I think his voice just gave up on him. 
    Have you read his biography? Apparently when Slade did the Beatles thing and went to Hamburg as young musicians, they were playing a couple of shows a day every day, and the whole band had to share £25. A promoter took a shine to Nod and he would go to the promoters house a couple of times a week, the promoter would lay under his glass coffee table and Noddy would curl one out on the coffee table while the promoter would,....er ‘promote’ himself! He paid Noddy £25 every time he went round, Holder said he realised that there’s not that much money in music........!
  • The tramp from Gavin Brier's 'Jesus blood never failed  me yet' when they came back under the bridge to talk royalties,  he was no longer there
  • Greenie said:
    SoundAsa£ said: up
    Have you read his biography? Apparently when Slade did the Beatles thing and went to Hamburg as young musicians, they were playing a couple of shows a day every day, and the whole band had to share £25. A promoter took a shine to Nod and he would go to the promoters house a couple of times a week, the promoter would lay under his glass coffee table and Noddy would curl one out on the coffee table while the promoter would,....er ‘promote’ himself! He paid Noddy £25 every time he went round, Holder said he realised that there’s not that much money in music........!
    Come on we’ve all been there!
  • Danny Kirwan. Incredible talent but sadly his demons stopped him achieving the fame and recognition he deserved.
  • Greenie said:
    @oohaahmortimer could have been effing minted.
    Unless he was feeling fruity at 4am, I’m not sure a soft smear would have brought home the dollars 
  • Sponsored links:

• A loss of musical fortune perhaps, rather than a lost talent - Pete Best.

Tough to argue against Syd Barrett though @Dave Rudd
  • Metallica 
  • Pedro45 said:
    Take a listen to Terry Reid.

He was asked to join Led Zeppelin before Robert Plant, but turned them down. What a waste...
    Not quite, but perhaps it’s even worse. Jimmy Page approached Terry Reid to be the vocalist in The Yardbirds Pt ll. Reid turned him down because he was about to go on tour supporting The Stones. But, he said, this kid supported me in the Midlands the other week - he’s got a great voice and he’s got a fantastic drummer, too. So not only did he turn down the chance to be in what became Led Zeppelin, he helped form them too. There’s a great quote from Robert Plant: ‘Terry Reid should have had my life.’
  • David McWilliam
  • edited May 2021
    Greenie said:
    Very strange .. there is a scene in one of Philip Roth's novels which is the same scenario, except the one passing the stools was female
  • Me ... I was in a fledgling rock band in 1985. I was the singer and we used to practice every Saturday. We weren’t half bad. We managed to get our first gig but it clashed with Huddersfield away. I had to make a choice. A gig at the local working mans club or Huddersfield away. I chose the latter and was kicked out of the band. 
  • I know it's not quite the purpose of this thread but can I nominate my wife? Grade 8 flute and clarinet, played them both beautifully and could have had a decent career but lost interest and now only drags them out (the instruments) to play once or twice a year when she's pissed. Steadfastly refuses to play them if she's sober.... as someone with no musical ability whatsoever it drives me mad to see her waste such a gift.
    I was a pretty decent flautist when I was a kid. Started learning when I was 11 at school and also had private lessons. Got in the school orchestra but by the time I got to 14 or so, lost interest and have never played since.

Always regretted it 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2021
    Greenie said:
    Very strange .. there is a scene in one of Philip Roth's novels which is the same scenario, except the one passing the stools was female
    Which is only slightly more acceptable.🥴🥴🥴
  • I know it's not quite the purpose of this thread but can I nominate my wife? Grade 8 flute and clarinet, played them both beautifully and could have had a decent career but lost interest and now only drags them out (the instruments) to play once or twice a year when she's pissed. Steadfastly refuses to play them if she's sober.... as someone with no musical ability whatsoever it drives me mad to see her waste such a gift.
    I was a pretty decent flautist when I was a kid. Started learning when I was 11 at school and also had private lessons. Got in the school orchestra but by the time I got to 14 or so, lost interest and have never played since.

Always regretted it 
    Well there’s a post I didn’t expect!
    Yep but knowing DM there's probably a story in there about a pink oboe!
  • Jake Bugg seemed like the new Don McLean when he first appeared. But he wasn’t writing his own stuff back then. At least not on his own. Whatever he’s churning out now is a long way from what I was hoping to hear from him. 

Also, the first Stereophonics album was was incredible. But as soon as Jones left his home town his lyric writing went to shit. He started telling stories about his holidays. And Dakota has a great melody but I cannot get over how bad the lyrics are. “Thinking about thinking of you. I think it was June.... yeah... I think it was June”

Always regretted it 
    Grade 8 on the pink oboe now though 👍🏼
  • Stone Roses. One amazing album and a few great songs. Massive waste, consider how good squire and Reni were. Ian Brown has had a decent solo career to be fair
  • So much choice, sadly
    Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Warren Zevon to name but a few.
  • cblock said:
    Amy Winehouse, saw her at the Eden project in Cornwall, would be one of her last performances.

She lasted half a set before walking out, sad to see but understandable with her  mental condition at the time,
    hang your head in shame any one there that night who abused her.
    Yup I have to second this. Absolutely amazing talent taken far too early by the demons within. It can only be guessed what Amy would have gone onto achieve. The ones who abused her at that show are in a long line of people who did the same to her mate, many of them closest to her