Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The murder of PSCO Julia James

2»

Comments

• Options
    cafcfan said:
    Curb_It said:

21 women have been murdered here since Sarah Everard was murdered. Shocking.

https://twitter.com/timeslucy/status/1390979340968546304?s=21 
    Yep and hardly any coverage of them anywhere.

Thats the real outrage.

Women of all ages in the UK are being murdered in broad daylight and nothing.

Disgusting.
    I do not disagree with you: the lack of coverage is an outrage. As ever, however, I suspect it's what the media understand that their audience want to watch/hear about.

First off, it might be worth mentioning that back in the 1960s there were a fairly equal number of male/female victims.  Today, well as at last year, it was 73% male, 27% female. (A figure slightly distorted by the Essex lorry deaths.)

But let's look at female murders. Only 13% of female victims are unknown to their murderers. (At least in cases which are solved anyway.)  And 78% of female victims die in or around their dwelling.  I hate to say this but that makes such cases mundane and not really something of newsworthy importance.  The average TV News watcher or newspaper reader will know what it means when a woman has been found dead at home.  Of course, the Sarah Everard case and the recent one have very different characteristics and that's why they get coverage: because they are actually rare events.

In researching this on the ONS website I was shocked to find a truly terrible piece of information. It concerned the people most likely be the victim of a homicide.  When I started reading this section I had kind of thought in my own mind that it would be males in their teens/twenties.  It turns out that the most dangerous thing to be in this country is a child under 1 year old.  And that's something which is also pretty much ignored by the media. 
    And when you discovered this horrific statistic did it tell you who is most responsible for it?
    I don’t know, so I’m genuinely interested.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Curb_It said:

21 women have been murdered here since Sarah Everard was murdered. Shocking.

https://twitter.com/timeslucy/status/1390979340968546304?s=21 
    Yep and hardly any coverage of them anywhere.

Thats the real outrage.

Women of all ages in the UK are being murdered in broad daylight and nothing.

Disgusting.
    I do not disagree with you: the lack of coverage is an outrage. As ever, however, I suspect it's what the media understand that their audience want to watch/hear about.

First off, it might be worth mentioning that back in the 1960s there were a fairly equal number of male/female victims.  Today, well as at last year, it was 73% male, 27% female. (A figure slightly distorted by the Essex lorry deaths.)

But let's look at female murders. Only 13% of female victims are unknown to their murderers. (At least in cases which are solved anyway.)  And 78% of female victims die in or around their dwelling.  I hate to say this but that makes such cases mundane and not really something of newsworthy importance.  The average TV News watcher or newspaper reader will know what it means when a woman has been found dead at home.  Of course, the Sarah Everard case and the recent one have very different characteristics and that's why they get coverage: because they are actually rare events.

In researching this on the ONS website I was shocked to find a truly terrible piece of information. It concerned the people most likely be the victim of a homicide.  When I started reading this section I had kind of thought in my own mind that it would be males in their teens/twenties.  It turns out that the most dangerous thing to be in this country is a child under 1 year old.  And that's something which is also pretty much ignored by the media. 
    And when you discovered this horrific statistic did it tell you who is most responsible for it?
    I don’t know, so I’m genuinely interested.
    I could not find specific data. There might be more information deep in the appendices. If you want to look it is here https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/homicideinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2020#suspects-in-homicide-cases

What it does say is that for children under 16, 27% were killed by a parent or step-parent. But there is also a hint of something else which on the surface does not have an explanation.  Of known homicides generally, 29% - a percentage the same for both men and women - remain unsolved.  But for child homicides, that percentage leaps to 44%.  This is just stated with no explanation. The only thing I can think of is that couples are refusing to testify against a partner. Leaving a case with a choice of two suspects and no way of pinning down the blame.  But that is just my hypothesis.

There is more information here. https://learning.nspcc.org.uk/research-resources/statistics-briefings/child-deaths-abuse-neglect

It suggests some homicides in children go unreported and explains why. And stresses that at least one child a week is killed in the UK.
  • Options
    Jesus 😞
  • Options

Police investigating the death of community support officer Julia James have charged a 21-year-old man with her murder.

Ms James, 53, was found dead on 27 April near Akholt Wood, Snowdown, near Dover, having suffered serious head injuries.

Callum Wheeler, from Aylesham, was arrested at 21:30 BST on Friday.

He remains in custody and is due to appear via video link at Medway Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.

Ms James had worked for Kent Police since 2008, and her family said she was "fiercely loyal" and "loved with her whole heart".

She died from severe head injuries and had been walking her dog near her home at the time, police said.

Police officers were in the Aylesham area, about a mile from where Ms James' body was found, on Monday as the probe into her death continued.

• Options
    "Callum Wheeler, 21, from Aylesham, was formally accused of killing the 53-year-old at the hearing. He appeared at Medway Magistrates Court in person before being remanded back into custody ahead of his case at Maidstone Crown Court on Thursday".

It would appear that it is the man in the picture on the original post.
  • Options
    "Callum Wheeler, 21, from Aylesham, was formally accused of killing the 53-year-old at the hearing. He appeared at Medway Magistrates Court in person before being remanded back into custody ahead of his case at Maidstone Crown Court on Thursday".

I’ve not seen that been confirmed anywhere yet.
    I’m just grateful they have charged him and now let’s see justice done.
  • Options
    Scrub my last, just seen footage of the suspect.
    Looks pretty much the same Geezer in the photo.
  • Options
    Saw on the lunchtime news him coming out of Chatham Court & poking his tongue out to the waiting media. Nice guy.....not  !

Couldn't say for certain it was him & most of the time he had his back /side to the camera & there was gate in the way. 
  • Options

I don't know if there are reporting restrictions in place as I would have thought by now there would have been a bit of info of him out there. Did he live with parents ?  A Girlfriend  ?  I know they searched his house but no other info about who he is, where he worked etc.