Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Q&A with Nigel Adkins - May 5th

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I thought it was cool he quoted Dylan Thomas.
    Misquoted him!
    Only slightly :smile:
    However I think he might be the only manager we've ever had, or I can remember, who has quoted poetry.
    Totally cool.
  • Options
    Very good evening. I've got to be honest I was sceptical beforehand, thinking what's he going to talk about that's so interesting for all that time, but he did. Thanks to everyone who helped organise it.

For me the best bit was when he said that he's heard the 'we want to be in the Premiership' line from other chairmen and still turned them down. There's obviously something a bit more realistic about Thomas' claims to want Premiership football. I like that.

I probably wouldn't put it as strongly as CE, but I kind of agree with his general feelings about the pop questions. They do seem a bit needless. It reminds me when they do some topic on the BBC and follow it up with what do you think, tweet now. And I'm sitting there thinking there's no way I'm joining in with that malarky because it is not and shouldn't be about what I think, it's about what I am being told.  
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    seth plum said:
    Misquoted him!
    Did Nads say anything about trains (if so steam, diesel, or electric)? 
  • Options
    Thank you to those for hosting, I thought it was really good, can’t believe know one asked Nige if he’d see the clubs bank statements a la other thread.

Loved the story about the old fella, the goalie and the walking stick.
  • Options
    Very enjoyable evening, the polls seem to be a useful way to break up the questions and give the guest a breather- well done CAST and if you are not a member do join - it's worth it
  • Options
    I think we could have a poll to see if the majority like the "fun" polls.
    I find them utterly bizarre, cringeworthy and kind of embarrassing.

Could anyone imagine Jonathan Ross/Graham Norton/Piers Morgan interviewing let's say Tom Cruise and stopping the interview 3 times, to poll the studio audience on what time Tom Cruise gets up in the morning or some other such trivial nonsense?
    Plus some question about when we will beat Millwall.
    If the audience were 10 years old maybe it would be ok.

Whilst then not having time to pose over 100 questions which I surmise would be far more interesting.

Sorry for being forthright but I find it nearly as annoying as the cameraman missing the Charlton goal on Charlton TV.
    Sounds like they tried something different to break things up and keep it light hearted, but it didn’t quite work. Reaction above feels a bit strong though!
  • Options
    Thanks very much to all who attended and enjoyed. Appreciate the sharing of notes on here and feedback. 

Absolutely no truth to the rumour we've carried out a hostile take over of Bromley Addicks  ;)

The slight delay at the start was a minor technical glitch getting the star guest online. 

The polls are just a bit of fun to break things up and give everyone a chance to participate.

Thought Nigel was an excellent guest and I'm well convinced by him now, having been pretty neutral at the time of the appointment. I resisted the temptation to comment on Stockley's tackle. Was a bit concerned that Nigel fell for @Pico's wicked humour and was going to get straight on the phone afterwards to Thomas to ask for a pay rise!

We'll have a full write-up out in next couple of days.
    For those not on the call, @Pico posed a question purporting to be from "Thomas, in Colorado" and NA seemed to believe that. Just hope he didn't call TS afterwards to follow up.  :D

Very enjoyable evening. Have emailed some feedback to CAST but overall very good and much appreciated. More please CAST.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think one of the best reveals from last night was that Nigel lived in Hampshire. 

I had assumed that given that his last two jobs were Hull and Sheffield and that he was based up north. This is obviously a legacy from his Southampton / Reading days. 

Although he probably needs to stay close to SL during the week, it is good to know he is not commuting to the other end of the country at weekends and is relatively close. 
  • Options
    It was an excellent evening and provided a number of interesting insights. On why he chose us after rejecting a number of offers he talked about being approached out of the blue by Thomas and liked the idea of “getting Charlton Premier League ready” and hoped to be with us  when that happened!

• Options
    clive said:
    seth plum said:
    Misquoted him!
    Did Nads say anything about trains (if so steam, diesel, or electric)? 
    No, but after a slight delay caused by a signal failure, Nigel made some very good points.
    I would like to express my thanks to C.A.S.T for providing the platform & despite my earlier reservations it was a first class event.
    The polls were unneeded but Nigel never let them derail him or lose track.
    I look forward to future meetings when perhaps a normal service can resume & bar/buffet facilities reopen.
    Filthy bastard 
  • Options
    Thanks to CAST for getting the two most positive people in the history of Charlton Athletic as their last two guests. Thomas and Nigel.
    Apparently Nigel was locked out of his house last night after his wife overheard him say "No Holidays"  but Nads being a positive person lay on the grass looking up to the stars and recited poetry.

I'm fine with polls, to keep the interaction going and the opening gambit was spot on to see if Nigel had any chinks of darkness in his world of light.

We could have a poll to see if the membership want to have polls. Covered end would abstain in fear of being called a hypocrite.

Disappointed that Nigel forgot the name of the book" how to improve your memory"

Even Nigel admitted we are only 3rd favourites as we all know what happens when we play Champions or promoted teams on the last day.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    We have nearly 300 signed up so far. 

will I see all their little faces on my screen of just Nigel's?
    All their little faces of just Nigels ? 

Urgghhh

Can we not refer to him as Adder or something like that? After all, we always said Curbs, Pards and Parky, and lately Bows. We never said Alan, Alan, Phil and Lee.
    Why now insist on Nigel? Hence the ugly photo.

• Options
    @jimmymelrose - has the helicopter been delivered yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, just took it for a spin, and like the damage to poor Adder's wallet, it went through the roof.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    One considered poll option waa what should we get Nigel to change his name to.  :wink:
    How about Zaha?

• Options
    We have nearly 300 signed up so far. 

will I see all their little faces on my screen of just Nigel's?
    All their little faces of just Nigels ? 

Urgghhh

Can we not refer to him as Adder or something like that? After all, we always said Curbs, Pards and Parky, and lately Bows. We never said Alan, Alan, Phil and Lee.
    Why now insist on Nigel? Hence the ugly photo.

Nads?
  • Options
    Was always convinced we'd see a much fitter, younger squad next season with a more attacking style of play.

Adkins comments from last night confirm that
  • Options
    @Weegie Addick
    A poll would be quite fun, but embarrassing with the man himself present.
    How about these suggestions:

Nads
    Adder
    Nadder
    Nadders
    Adkins
    NHA
    Mr Chatterbox
  • Options
    We now have a really good proven manager and a really good owner.

Not so long ago...it was the combination of Roland and Russel Slade!

If we don't knick a play off spot...I believe the start of next season will move forward quickly. Might maybe go the 1st 10-15 games unbeaten.

I think if and or when we lose, it will likely be marginal scorelines. Basically just the likes of Swindon sitting back for 90mins and nicking a result.
  • Options
    Nadkins?