Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Obscure football teams that you follow (for no apparent reason)

Do you (like me) ever find yourself casually scrolling down the LiveScore app when suddenly a team or result jumps out of you for no apparent reason?

It happened to me tonight. The match was Club Eagles 2 Thimphu City 0 in the Qualifying round of the AFC Cup. For the latter I didn’t even realised they had a professional football league in Bhutan until I started researching them on Wikipedia. All very pointless but I still find it interesting reading about these World football outposts.

Got me thinking about other obscure football teams that lifers choose to follow for no apparent reason so I thought it write a post about it.

Personally all the teams I follow have some kind of story behind it (usually linked to places I have lived) but I do know a handful of people who decided to support a team purely based on some kind of odd bet or random encounter.

Any of you lifers got a good story to share? 

Comments

• I am a big fan of spanish football ( and spain as a whole ) and Andorra have a team in the lower leagues that always stood out to me as of course Andorra is a country.  Havent seen them in a while.
  • I am a big fan of spanish football ( and spain as a whole ) and Andorra have a team in the lower leagues that always stood out to me as of course Andorra is a country.  Havent seen them in a while.
    Didn't Ruben Bover (sp?) play for them? 
  • I have actually favourited on flashscore a German team called Bonner.
    Owned by Barcelona’s Pique I believe 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I am a big fan of spanish football ( and spain as a whole ) and Andorra have a team in the lower leagues that always stood out to me as of course Andorra is a country.  Havent seen them in a while.
    Didn't Ruben Bover (sp?) play for them? 
    Playing for them currently, quick Google search says they are in 3rd tier
  • Do you (like me) ever find yourself casually scrolling down the LiveScore app when suddenly a team or result jumps out of you for no apparent reason?

It happened to me tonight. The match was Club Eagles 1 Thimphu City 0 in the Qualifying round of the AFC Cup. For the latter I didn’t even realised they had a professional football league in Bhutan until I started researching them on Wikipedia. All very pointless but I still find it interesting reading about these World football outposts.

Got me thinking about other obscure football teams that lifers choose to follow for no apparent reason so I thought it write a post about it.

Personally all the teams I follow have some kind of story behind it (usually linked to places I have lived) but I do know a handful of people who decided to support a team purely based on some kind of odd bet or random encounter.

That is so wrong. I can only hope it was Thimphu City you water to win.
  • I like to follow all the World Cup Qualifiers rather than any club teams as have a fascination with how the Qualification works for each continent.

I do have a soft spot for American Samoa ever since their 31-0 defeat to Australia and their Next Goal Wins Documentary

• Stig said:
    Do you (like me) ever find yourself casually scrolling down the LiveScore app when suddenly a team or result jumps out of you for no apparent reason?

It happened to me tonight. The match was Club Eagles 1 Thimphu City 0 in the Qualifying round of the AFC Cup. For the latter I didn’t even realised they had a professional football league in Bhutan until I started researching them on Wikipedia. All very pointless but I still find it interesting reading about these World football outposts.

That is so wrong. I can only hope it was Thimphu City you water to win.
    Of course. I didn’t even bother to look up the other team 
  • I do tend to use flashscore to check random results,  them their lineups to see if recognise any names  then about 3hrs later im link locked on searching random footballers. 

• I like to follow all the World Cup Qualifiers rather than any club teams as have a fascination with how the Qualification works for each continent.

I do have a soft spot for American Samoa ever since their 31-0 defeat to Australia and their Next Goal Wins Documentary

There is a nice article on them in this month's 442 magazine. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dumbarton. I'm unsure why.
    Perhaps I liked the yellow & black colour on the football ladder tables I had as a kid. 
  • Berwick rangers as they were an English club playing in the Scottish leagie
  • edited April 2021
    I've got a few. I'm not a big follower of Scottish football,  but I look out for St Mirren's results. I also started looking at the Highland league,  as a club called Fort William was regularly shipping between 8 and 14 goals every week. In Holland I follow RKC Waalwijk (shagged a girl from there years ago), and look out gor Toulouse in France. Finally there was a club in minor football here called Bada Bing or something equally daft. Their players were all Boixos Nois (FC Barcelona hooligans) and they had a far right political leaning that lead them to attack opposition players they thought were immigrants. Their games often ended in fights, and teams regularly refused to play them  for which they got sll three points. Horrible club.
  • Not really an obscure team but I used to check the results for Hearts results after goalkeeper Willie Duff transferred to the Valley following Sam Bartram’s retirement.  Cann’t say I followed them that closely.  Willie Duff was pretty good as I recall and stayed with us a few years.
  • Dumbarton. I'm unsure why.
    Perhaps I liked the yellow & black colour on the football ladder tables I had as a kid. 

You have impeccable taste ;)
  • Berwick rangers as they were an English club playing in the Scottish leagie
    I've managed then as a challenge on Football Manager before, normally start in the bottom league and I find it funny winning the Scottish league with an English team.
  • Mines Aalborg in northern Denmark. Worked there for a bit early nineties and loved it. Thought about making it permanent but it never happened. Always look for their result.
  • I've got a few teams in Scotland I've got a soft spot for because of pretty minor reasons.

Hibs for Sunshine on Leith (brilliant terrace song) & Irvine Welsh.
    Queens Park for being amateur, the randomness of them playing in Hampden with about 600 fans (both of which are sadly.coming to an end) and Irn Bru sponsoring them.
    Berwick as above 
    Fort William after that time they didn't win for 2 years.

There is a nice article on them in this month's 442 magazine. 
    Yeah saw and read it thanks :) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton Athletic
    Came to post the same.

Probably one of the best documentries I have ever seen. If anyone has not watched it - make sure you do as it is a real journey
  • I was sort of expecting that famous club from Chile, Deportivo Wanka. I used to follow the results, but they got relegated and I can't find them anymore. I remember the old Charlton blogger Frankie Valley claimed he owned a Wanka shirt.
  • cafc999 said:
    I like to follow all the World Cup Qualifiers rather than any club teams as have a fascination with how the Qualification works for each continent.

Probably one of the best documentries I have ever seen. If anyone has not watched it - make sure you do as it is a real journey
    Taika Waititi is producing a film version of it which will be interesting to watch

Michael Fassbender will be playing Thomas Rongen the coach with Armie Hammer also involved
  • Have always followed St Johnstone for some unknown reason, probably since I was about 9/10. Would always look out for their results, etc but had no idea where they were based in Scotland.

Fast forward 20 years and I'm doing some work in Perth, ask a local if there were any decent teams nearby and he's like yeah, Saints are just around the corner! Get in! Turn up, watch my first match and they spank Hamilton 4-1!

Couple of days later in the office, I get chatting to a girl who is on the project I'm on. All goes well and doesn't take too long for her to up sticks and come live with me on the sunny south coast. So now whenever we go visit her family, I ensure we go when they are at home and sack off seeing most of her family & friends to go watch the football with her brother!
  • I follow West Side in the Lewis and Harris league, my uncle hasn't missed a game in years.
  • I've got a few and hardly any idea why I "follow" some of them

Hartlepool - largely because they were so crap years ago that I felt a soft spot for them
    Aberdeen - Because I like the underdog and couldn't bring myself to go with the Glasgow clubs
    Montpellier (fr) and Nurnberg (Ger) - In German lessons at school the teacher wold assign us each a club in France and Germany and we had to follow them and report back on how they got on at the weekend in the respective language.  That was over 30 years ago but I still keep an eye out for them now. (Andy Delort plays for Montpellier!)
    Clermont Foot - French L2 side.  I stayed there once and loved the place.  Nice stadium too

This season's team will be Philadelphia Union because they have a young (17 y/o) player there I think is a fantastic talent and I want to see how he develops (Jack McGlynn is anyone is interested.)
  • I was sort of expecting that famous club from Chile, Deportivo Wanka. I used to follow the results, but they got relegated and I can't find them anymore. I remember the old Charlton blogger Frankie Valley claimed he owned a Wanka shirt.
    @ricky_otto has a top.
  • edited April 2021
    when i was younger i used to have a few teams that i followed. none anymore. apart from the national side of Italy and the great Faroe Islands. who at one stage had Allan Simonsen as their manager.