Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Battersea Poltergeist

Comments

• Options
    2121 said:
    My mum, her siblings and parents have genuine terror when they talk about the house when they lived in in Tanzania. Some crazy stories from that house. They moved out when found out it was on a tribal burial ground amongst other ghost stories. Grandparents went back a few years ago and learnt that two subsequent owners were the same, left and the house has been borded ever since. 

Cant say I've ever experienced a ghost, i think sometimes its trick of the mind hallucinations etc... 
    Never doubt your mum mate.
    They are always right 
    😂
  • Options
    out of interest @Chizz do you believe in curses?
    No
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    No
    fair enough. i sometimes in a way see a correlation between ghosts, curses, pagan rituals and religion where the persons mind is more accepting to it than say others. that was all. 

i dont know a huge amount of this particular haunting apart from it went on i think for years. If it was the girl that was some dedication. I also know the house itself is no longer there. Do i think there was a poltergeist? no idea. 

• Options
    Strange things happen in my gaff.  I put a family sized bar of Galaxy in my fridge and the next day,  GONE!  I kid you not...  EVERY fucking time.  
    There should be a thread on whether chocolate should go in the fridge or cupboard 
    Fridge - warm chocolate makes the back of my throat itch.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Yes it is complete Brian Ollocks. If it wasn't they would be f*ng everywhere!
    Do you have a suggestion as to what might have caused the various odd things that happened at the house and elsewhere?
    I reckon someone was doing it, and saying that it was a ghost or a poltergeist or something.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Has anyone watched Ghosthunting the Krays with Jonathan Acworth on YouTube? (Yes, THE J.A.).

I watch that bit in the cellar and quite clearly can see how a group of people could believe in something that's not there. 

I've also just read that the two sisters admitted they faked stuff. So some stuff they faked, some was real, even their parents asked if it was them? Doesn't sound exactly authentic. 

https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/five-reasons-why-londons-most-famous-poltergeist-case-is-a-hoax-061616
  • Options
    have changed my mind. 

Doris Stokes just messaged me and it is actually really a poltergeist 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Do you have a suggestion as to what might have caused the various odd things that happened at the house and elsewhere?
    I reckon someone was doing it, and saying that it was a ghost or a poltergeist or something.
    For seven years? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    No
    Eh? Eh! What about our record against the Spanners then, how do you explain that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    For seven years? 
    Obviously - poltergeists don't exist.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    For seven years? 
    Was any of it caught on camera? If the journalist honestly thought it was real then that could have been some exclusive. 

In the 100 plus years that film has been in existence there hasn't been one shot with any real credence.
    This is despite a large proportion of people in the UK having access to a HD camera.

To validate the existence of something it is up to that person to provide evidence. I'm genuinely surprised the debate still rolls on.

It's a great story, it captured the imagination of the nation. I'm guessing that it also sold a lot of newspapers. 

I genuinely love a good ghost film, the genre is one of my favourites, but I also like the Christmas film Elf.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    For seven years? 
    Was any of it caught on camera? If the journalist honestly thought it was real then that could have been some exclusive. 

In the 100 plus years that film has been in existence there hasn't been one shot with any real credence.
    This is despite a large proportion of people in the UK having access to a HD camera.

To validate the existence of something it is up to that person to provide evidence. I'm genuinely surprised the debate still rolls on.

It's a great story, it captured the imagination of the nation. I'm guessing that it also sold a lot of newspapers. 

I genuinely love a good ghost film, the genre is one of my favourites, but I also like the Christmas film Elf.
    In answer to your first question, yes. And, to your second point, it was an exclusive, of sorts. The story has already been written about, extensively, in the newspapers. But this was the first time a journalist had actually witnessed levitation and other phenomena. 

I think the onus lies less on the people who say "'x' has happened', and more on those who say 'the reason something has happened cannot be "y".' 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    For seven years? 

In answer to your first question, yes. And, to your second point, it was an exclusive, of sorts. The story has already been written about, extensively, in the newspapers. But this was the first time a journalist had actually witnessed levitation and other phenomena. 

I think the onus lies less on the people who say "'x' has happened', and more on those who say 'the reason something has happened cannot be "y".' 
    Having been on this site for years, you get a view on regular posters, and Chizz, you are one of the "memorable" posters - challenging, questioning, strong views, and I've often wondered if, given the forensic nature of some of your questions, you have some sort of legal background.

But its all unraveling. You think a journalist, who's job is to sell papers, saw someone levitate.

Let's be clear, levitation isn't possible. You do know that don't you?

As I write this, I'm beginning to realise this is a whoosh moment.....
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    For seven years? 

Having been on this site for years, you get a view on regular posters, and Chizz, you are one of the "memorable" posters - challenging, questioning, strong views, and I've often wondered if, given the forensic nature of some of your questions, you have some sort of legal background.

But its all unraveling. You think a journalist, who's job is to sell papers, saw someone levitate.

Let's be clear, levitation isn't possible. You do know that don't you?

As I write this, I'm beginning to realise this is a whoosh moment.....
    A journalist claims to have seen a levitation. 

Specifically, a journalist who doubted the story, spent the night with the girl in such a manner to prevent the girl causing the phenomena. And then witnessed it happening, despite the actions she took. 

Let me put my cards on the table (no pun intended). I am utterly convinced that the phenomena were not caused by "ghosts". I don't think ghosts destroyed the furniture in the house, wrote on the walls, left notes, produced loud, persistent noises for years on end, set light to the building and caused objects and people to levitate and move. 

I do, however, believe some or all of those things happened. And I don't know how. But I enjoy investigating it with an open mind, rather than picking an outlandish reason and dismissing it out of hand. 

I also think that "Poltergeist" can - should - refer to unexplained movements or noises. That leaves room for there to be an accommodation between the known facts and my view that it wasn't a ghost. 

What I'm most interested in is what caused it. And the more anyone finds out about the story, the less convinced I am they have an answer. 
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Probably not entirely the right thread for this but I once saw a documentary about people training to walk on red-hot coals. The idea was that they had to fool themselves into thinking they were walking on cool, wet grass. Before each walk on the coals they would chant’, ‘Cool, wet grass. Cool, wet grass.’ And then they would continue chanting as they walked across the coals, except it would go something like this, ‘Cool, wet grass, coolwetgrass, cool, wet, F*CK, SHIT!!!!
    I wanted to "like" and "LOL" this post. 

I think it's exactly the right thread for this, insofar as there may be a bit of auto suggestion going on in the Battersea case. That is, people convinced something is happening and becoming so fixed on it that it actually happens. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    For seven years? 

Are you able to share a link to the video? I googled it, but had no joy. I've had countless pieces of PR/news stores covered on and in everything from Radio 4, the Mail Online to Black Diamond FM. Basically, I create a piece of prose on what I feel resonates at that particular time. The truth is often bent beyond fact to reflect an agenda. I don't want to patronize you, but I wouldn't believe what every journalist says or does. A good journalist tells a good story. Even biographical and autobiographical books only need to be 51% accurate, it's up to the author what they choose to omit and often it's the key parts that are changed.

The onus is entirely on people who say 'x' happened. There's a clear difference between saying "i saw someone levitate" and "I'm sure I saw someone levitate". Without validation you are open to ridicule. 
  • Options
    Lol this thread. All of it. 🤣
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    For seven years? 

Are you able to share a link to the video? I googled it, but had no joy. I've had countless pieces of PR/news stores covered in everything from the Radio 4, the Mail Online to Black Diamond FM. Basically, I create a piece of prose on what I feel resonates at that particular time. The truth is often bent beyond fact to reflect an agenda. I don't want to patronize you, but I wouldn't believe what every journalist says or does. A good journalist tells a good story. Even biographical and autobiographical books only need to be 51% accurate, it's up to the author what they choose to omit and often it's the key parts that are changed.

The onus is entirely on people who say 'x' happened. There's a clear difference between saying "i saw someone levitate" and "I'm sure I saw someone levitate". Without validation you are open to ridicule. 
    There's no video, as far as I'm aware (this was seventy-odd years ago). 

I'll see if I can dig up the journalist's story. It was in most of the national papers, but this particular one was the "South London Advertiser", which I am guessing is the precursor to the South London Press. 

I get your point about the difference between saying something definitely happened and saying you saw what you thought was something happening. But the person to whom it happened still claims it (she's still alive). And contemporaneous press reports claim it to have happened. I can't say, because I went there, for obvious reasons. 

On a related note, I'm sure Charlton won at Doncaster recently...
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Probably not entirely the right thread for this but I once saw a documentary about people training to walk on red-hot coals. The idea was that they had to fool themselves into thinking they were walking on cool, wet grass. Before each walk on the coals they would chant’, ‘Cool, wet grass. Cool, wet grass.’ And then they would continue chanting as they walked across the coals, except it would go something like this, ‘Cool, wet grass, coolwetgrass, cool, wet, F*CK, SHIT!!!!’
    I've done similar (though not quite as extreme) as the "cool wet grass" thing, as I'm sure many have, on a management course. F*ck knows what the detail of the course was (probably nonsense) , but a colleague and I bent a c. 4ft steel rod, by putting each end of the rod on the soft (and vulnerable) flesh below the Adam's Apple, and committing to move forward at the same time. Of course the rod bent rather than piercing our necks. Commitment gets you through, and science means you don't get hurt..
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Probably not entirely the right thread for this but I once saw a documentary about people training to walk on red-hot coals. The idea was that they had to fool themselves into thinking they were walking on cool, wet grass. Before each walk on the coals they would chant’, ‘Cool, wet grass. Cool, wet grass.’ And then they would continue chanting as they walked across the coals, except it would go something like this, ‘Cool, wet grass, coolwetgrass, cool, wet, F*CK, SHIT!!!!’
    I've done similar (though not quite as extreme) as the "cool wet grass" thing, as I'm sure many have, on a management course. F*ck knows what the detail of the course was (probably nonsense) , but a colleague and I bent a c. 4ft steel rod, by putting each end of the rod on the soft (and vulnerable) flesh below the Adam's Apple, and committing to move forward at the same time. Of course the rod bent rather than piercing our necks. Commitment gets you through, and science means you don't get hurt..
    Let's be clear, that's not possible 

;) 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Never heard of it 
    A teenage girl, living with her family, in Battersea, in the 1950s, was subjected to a harrowing haunting, by a Poltergeist. 

It was extensively covered in the media at the time, but the story is less well known now. 

Objects moved. The Poltergeist caused knocking and other loud noises that could be heard by neighbours. The girl levitated. The house was set alight, hospitalising her father. The Poltergeist communicated with them, via a ouija board and written notes. 

Journalists reported on the story and were convinced there was paranormal, inexplicable activity taking place. 

The Poltergeist activity continued when she went to work, resulting in her being sacked. And it continued at the house, even when she wasn't there. 
    PWR.

The teenage girl was doing it herself.

Glad to help.
    Brilliant. Thanks for clearing that up. Thank goodness someone's been able to. 

Just a few minor bits to clear up though. How did she move furniture during the night when a journalist was in bed with her, holding her hands and feet? How did she scrawl words across the width and breadth of the ceiling? How did she levitate? How did she predict the harm that was about to happen to the actor? And how did the noises and movement of items continue when she wasn't there? 
    The bigger story here is why was a journalist in bed with a teenage girl?
    Because she took up the family's offer to spend a night in the house and chose to sleep in the bedroom, with her boyfriend outside the room, on the landing. 
    Isn’t that called Cuckolding???
  • Options
    Episode 5 on radio 4 now.
    23.30 start for the enthusiasts interested in a podcast or catch up type service.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Never heard of it 
    A teenage girl, living with her family, in Battersea, in the 1950s, was subjected to a harrowing haunting, by a Poltergeist. 

It was extensively covered in the media at the time, but the story is less well known now. 

Objects moved. The Poltergeist caused knocking and other loud noises that could be heard by neighbours. The girl levitated. The house was set alight, hospitalising her father. The Poltergeist communicated with them, via a ouija board and written notes. 

Journalists reported on the story and were convinced there was paranormal, inexplicable activity taking place. 

The Poltergeist activity continued when she went to work, resulting in her being sacked. And it continued at the house, even when she wasn't there. 
    PWR.

Glad to help.

Just a few minor bits to clear up though. How did she move furniture during the night when a journalist was in bed with her, holding her hands and feet? How did she scrawl words across the width and breadth of the ceiling? How did she levitate? How did she predict the harm that was about to happen to the actor? And how did the noises and movement of items continue when she wasn't there? 
    Because she took up the family's offer to spend a night in the house and chose to sleep in the bedroom, with her boyfriend outside the room, on the landing. 
    Only if there's a camcorder and a wardrobe involved. Or so I've been told... 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Never heard of it 

PWR.

Glad to help.

Only if there's a camcorder and a wardrobe involved. Or so I've been told afterwards.

• Options
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1bdovq

This video , although proving nothing did gain some traction 
  • Options
    Hey I've been following this forum for 5 years, and I finally made an account on the weekend specifically to add to this thread.

I have an experience with poltergiest activity, when I was 18, I've always had stomach trouble, and for this one particular year, a few times, I would wake up in the morning and throw up, and I couldn't feel well, until after throwing up, then I could eat breakfast and get on with my day as normal, it stopped thankfully, probably too much cigarettes before bed whilst being quite underweight.

One morning I was home alone, I was throwing up, which by now I was used to, casual morning routine.

I was on my knees at the toilet, hunched over, I'd just about finished vommiting, I was recovering and gathering myself, you know just sitting there, thinking ''ugh'' and wiping the sweat off my brow, catching my breath.

Suddenly, SMACK, ''something'' hit the light fixture directly above me, the toilet light which had a lampshade around it, the light swang in circles really hard from the impact, I stood up and walked out backwards, confused, the light lost its swinging momentum and steadied itself.

Heres some more details, the light never flickered, the electrical integrity of the light stayed fine, the light bulb was fine, when I heard the impact, it was literally as if something had physically hit it from the outside, because the lamp shade had the vibrating sound.

This is the gospel honest truth, zero exaggeration. it 100% happened. I was throwing up, something hit the light above me and it swang in circles violently, I was no where near it, on my knees over the toilet, it's over a meter above my head, nothing fell on it, nothing in there to touch it.

I think poltergiest activity is 100% real, but by the time investigators are called, people are faking it, I suspsect alot of these famous poltergiest happenings, started with a very real event, and then people want attention and answers even, so they continue the activity. Especially easy if you have multiple witnesses to one instance of the genuine phenomena. Then you can just start throwing objects at them until the investigator realizes it's you, and the whole science, becomes a joke.

Do I think it's a spirit, or entity? Impossible to say, I didn't feel haunted, I felt bamboozled. When this stuff happens it will just confuse you, it's never happened again since. You never get answers.

• Options
    What type of bulb was it? Occasionally incandescent light bulb filaments can “blow” and the remaining pieces of the filament can fuse together so they still work.