Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Northampton Town | Tues 9 March | 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    We've gone from having a goal threat but being vulnerable at the back, to being tighter at the back but a bit toothless up front

I can see this being another dull match, a narrow victory for either side perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a draw, 0-0 or 1-1.
  • Options
    The interruption to Charlton's string of shitty results and worse performances will be brought to an abrupt halt on Tuesday evening.  About 7:10pm by my estimation.
    The Cobblers are on a run of form, the likes of which Charlton hasn't managed since October.
    Northampton scored more goals in their last 2 games than the total number of shots on target Charlton managed against the team then at the bottom of the division (Wigan) and the team in equal worst form (Oxford), that's against a side in administration with no recruitment possible for more than a year and a team with at least half a dozen first teamers unavailable.
    Bowyer has to resist putting Famewo back in the starting lineup unless they are all convinced he's absolutely 100% fit - if he pops his hamstring that's it for the season.  Like it or not Pratley's likely to be in the back 4 - the least bad option - Oshilaja & Pearce would truly be the stuff of nightmares and  a Northampton cricket score.
    All this handwringing and despondancy somewhat fatuous in light of the fact that tomorrow's result is as near to irrelevant as possible.  The playoffs are realistically out of reach - yes it's mathematically possible, just, but requires more than 2 points per match thru to the end of the season, a feat no team has sustained in this division this season.  There is no chance whatever of relegation as there is so much abysmal sludge below us in the division.  If Bowyer and team are serious about building for the coming seasons the only sensible thing to do is to play the blokes whose contracts extend beyond this season and work thorugh the youngsters to find out which of them might be best equipped to step up .
    The ST cadre will inevitably be streaming tomorrow's débacle, we're all blighted by this obsession/addicktion/disease and one of us might even feel the need to vent on here at whichever pisstaking shirkers defame the shirt - there's plenty if them currently.
    We'll have to try to detach any notion that tomorrows game has any meaningful relevance at all and - for Charlton - is nothing more than a contractual obligation - it has far greater (any at all) significance for the Cobblers and that will inevitably be all too clear from what plays out in SE7.
     - Editor's note - today's scribe has occasionally been known to get the odd thing wrong but she's always a good read -
  • Options
    We've gone from having a goal threat but being vulnerable at the back, to being tighter at the back but a bit toothless up front
    They say defence starts with the attack. If the attack and midfield are playing their part defensively by pressing etc, then they’ll be less fresh for breakaway attacks?
  • Options
    Think we will win tomorrow. Not concerned about performances if we get the 3 points.

2-0 win which keeps our hopes of finish 6th alive for another couple of days.
  • Options
    Cobblers all around.

0-4 to Northamptom.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Can't believe some of these negative forcasts and score lines for tomorrow , i mean apart from a one off freak result against Portsmouth Saturday Northampton have had a very average league one so far, admit we ain't been at it regarding home results, understatement i hear you all say, we are still in a position where we could, just, make it to the playoffs, and our home form must change soon.
    I am generally a positive regarding us, and 4 points(could have been 6) from the last two games, we have every reason to feel the corner could have been turned, so come on, let's just get behind the lads for at least the next three matches at Fortress Valley, as we used to call it.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I don't think we are going to be closing any gaps.  We might maintain mid table security.  We've been beaten by worse teams than Northampton this season.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Can't believe some of these negative forcasts and score lines for tomorrow , i mean apart from a one off freak result against Portsmouth Saturday Northampton have had a very average league one so far, admit we ain't been at it regarding home results, understatement i hear you all say, we are still in a position where we could, just, make it to the playoffs, and our home form must change soon.
    I am generally a positive regarding us, and 4 points(could have been 6) from the last two games, we have every reason to feel the corner could have been turned, so come on, let's just get behind the lads for at least the next three matches at Fortress Valley, as we used to call it.
    Northampton have won their last 2 games, and decent opponents too (Plymouth and Portsmouth) which suggests they've also turned the corner
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Unfortunately this is unlikely IMO. Far more likely that it is due to going from zero football to lots of football in the space of a few weeks. I believe his prep to get him match fit would have been along the FITT protocols of progression, but I expect with the schedule he's had the opportunity to maintain that approach. 

It could be tight glutes, calfs or lower back muscles giving a feel of tight hamstrings too. All of which can contribute to other rear leg muscle injuries. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few top teams playing each other tomorrow. 

Ipswich v Lincoln
    Peterborough v Hull
    Portsmouth v Sunderland 
  • Options
    A few top teams playing each other tomorrow. 

Ipswich v Lincoln
    Peterborough v Hull
    Portsmouth v Sunderland 
    Ideal opportunity for us to gain some ground then hopefully
  • Options
    Northampton have won their last 2 games, and decent opponents too (Plymouth and Portsmouth) which suggests they've also turned the corner
    Is that the same corner we missed  a few miles back?
  • Options
    Good to hear that we will be using the Home dressing room and coming out the tunnel .. never understood why we had to get changed in the bar and walk down 100 steps to get on the pitch .. we should be making it uncomfortable as best we can for the away team...

Got a feeling there will be a number of changes tomorrow .. think both Famewo and Pearce might miss out 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Is that the same corner we missed  a few miles back?
    Boom Boom every one a winner ;)
  • Options
    Just some of the things Jon Fortune will be discussing on Valley Pass Live tomorrow night...
    THAT goal against Palace
    The cult legend that is Jorge Costa Make sure you've got your streaming pass and catch all the action! #cafc

• Options
    Could be a good chance for Fortune to watch one of his Client's in action (Jaiyesimi)
  • Options
    If the team Sage has suggested starts I think we will win comfortably.
  • Options
    Seriously guys, anyone know what’s happened to Morgan. He’d be in my team but he’s not even making the bench. Injured or bombed out?
  • Options
    happy with FA's line up - whether its his favoured line up or his prediction of bowyers line up or just a conversation starter - anyway, i like it - please don't spoilt it LB by putting pratley back in - i like him, i like his attitude, i have a lot of respect for him but please do not put him back in the team 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seriously guys, anyone know what’s happened to Morgan. He’d be in my team but he’s not even making the bench. Injured or bombed out?
    Lee Bowyer said on the 1st March:
     “He’s okay. We have got competition for places.
    “He is still a young lad learning the game.”

So basically Bowyer is giving Shinnie and Smith a run ahead of Morgan (not entirely working to have Smith ahead of Morgan IMO)

• Options
    I'm going for 1-1, finishing the game with 10 men, but who will get sent off this time?
  • Options
    Sadly with Morgan, when he gets a chance he doesn't seem to grab it. Maybe he needs a run in the side, but I don't think our major issue in relation to poor results has been Morgan.
  • Options
    Sadly with Morgan, when he gets a chance he doesn't seem to grab it. Maybe he needs a run in the side, but I don't think our major issue in relation to poor results has been Morgan.
    I'd agree but then Bowyer drops him next game whether he has had a good game or not. 

It's madness and must be demoralising. 
  • Options
    Time to start the run please lads
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    I'm going for 1-1, finishing the game with 10 men, but who will get sent off this time?
    Ben Amos.  2 yellows both for time wasting first when we are 1 - 0 down then 2-0 down.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Comfortable home win 
    4-0
    @happyvalley style.
    Where is happyvalley  by the way?  Hope he’s ok.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Time to start the run please lads
    OK, Curbs.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Comfortable home win 
    4-0
    @happyvalley style.
    Where is happyvalley  by the way?  Hope he’s ok.
    Last active over a month ago... 

Final post was: 

Clump
    on 30/01 on the Word Game thread, same day he also posted 
    Comfortable away win!4-0
     Maybe Pompey being waterlogged was the final straw for him.