Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Which Conceded Goal Has Upset You Most?

Comments

• I've just remembered one that killed me as a kid, the last minute Dion Dublin goal in the FA Cup against Leicester. Leicester were terrible that year, they finished 15th in the Championship. We were so poor that day but we improved a bit in the second half and you felt like we had enough to see them off. Nope, last minute corner and Dublin gently nodded the ball in to put them into the Quarters, where they played a struggling Blackburn side. I remember being absolutely crushed leaving the stadium that day.

Another one that drove me insane was the Sheff Wed game at The Valley in 2013. We went 1-0 up early in the second half and both Morrison and Wagstaff hit the woodwork. Waggy's one in particular was a ridiculous shot to not go in. Then they equalised on 84 and won it through Leroy bloody Lita on 89 for one of the least deserved away wins you'll ever see. We were so in control before that. The worst thing is I'd stupidly brought some housemates who weren't that bothered about football, and one of them proceeded to dig at me for the rest of the journey home about how exciting the end of the game was. I hated him.
    I refused to go to any cup games for a few years after that performance, we were terrible
    Me too. Didn't help that I'd gone to Gillingham the year before
    Oh in that case you have zero sympathy from me... You knew what you were getting into, you knew the risks ;)
  • Can I have 4 goals please ?

Charlton vs Derby at the Valley in the 90’s - we were 3-0 up at half time - lost 4-3 - I had a terrible hangover, it was a cold and wet miserable day, but I felt chipper at half time - walked out the ground feeling like dog shite
    That was my 15th birthday. On loan Tom Hovi didn't buy me a present, but he gave Derby's Marco Gabbiadini loads of gifts that day.

For me, Palace in the play-offs, mid-90s. 1-0 up after 56 seconds, pummelled them for the rest of the half, but the lack of a genuine goalscorer cost us that day, as it had done on several other occasions that season. Somehow managed to lose 2-1, and then Ray Houghton scored after 4 minutes in the second leg. 

We played them 4 times that season and were the better side on 3 occasions but only had 2 draws to show for it.
  • I've just remembered one that killed me as a kid, the last minute Dion Dublin goal in the FA Cup against Leicester. Leicester were terrible that year, they finished 15th in the Championship. We were so poor that day but we improved a bit in the second half and you felt like we had enough to see them off. Nope, last minute corner and Dublin gently nodded the ball in to put them into the Quarters, where they played a struggling Blackburn side. I remember being absolutely crushed leaving the stadium that day.

Another one that drove me insane was the Sheff Wed game at The Valley in 2013. We went 1-0 up early in the second half and both Morrison and Wagstaff hit the woodwork. Waggy's one in particular was a ridiculous shot to not go in. Then they equalised on 84 and won it through Leroy bloody Lita on 89 for one of the least deserved away wins you'll ever see. We were so in control before that. The worst thing is I'd stupidly brought some housemates who weren't that bothered about football, and one of them proceeded to dig at me for the rest of the journey home about how exciting the end of the game was. I hated him.
    I refused to go to any cup games for a few years after that performance, we were terrible
    Me too. Didn't help that I'd gone to Gillingham the year before
    Oh in that case you have zero sympathy from me... You knew what you were getting into, you knew the risks ;)
    I was also 14 years old for the Leicester match so I hadn't properly learned never to hope yet. Sorted that now mind
  • This is going to be a rather big list.

Lot of it will be Premier League orientated.

Used to absolutely hate losing to pretty anyone in childhood/teen years. All kinds of bad memories.

The 06/07 season relegation was more of a gradual confirmation after the painful 2&2 Fulham equaliser. 

No real shocks going on.

I remember Bellamy scoring a 2nd for Blackburn. Sitting in the lower north, we was all just singing for Charlton and clapping. Pretty much ignoring what just happened as we already knew we were down.

The premier League years were something else.
  • MrLargo said:
    Can I have 4 goals please ?

Charlton vs Derby at the Valley in the 90’s - we were 3-0 up at half time - lost 4-3 - I had a terrible hangover, it was a cold and wet miserable day, but I felt chipper at half time - walked out the ground feeling like dog shite
    That was my 15th birthday. On loan Tom Hovi didn't buy me a present, but he gave Derby's Marco Gabbiadini loads of gifts that day.

For me, Palace in the play-offs, mid-90s. 1-0 up after 56 seconds, pummelled them for the rest of the half, but the lack of a genuine goalscorer cost us that day, as it had done on several other occasions that season. Somehow managed to lose 2-1, and then Ray Houghton scored after 4 minutes in the second leg. 

We played them 4 times that season and were the better side on 3 occasions but only had 2 draws to show for it.
    Gabbiadini had the Indian sign over us - got a hat trick for Sunderland when they thumped us 4-1 at Upton Park - that was a pretty shocking performance by Charlton

Tom Hovi - I had forgotten about him !!!
  • MrLargo said:

Gabbiadini had the Indian sign over us - got a hat trick for Sunderland when they thumped us 4-1 at Upton Park - that was a pretty shocking performance by Charlton

Even his mum has trouble recalling him... 
  • A completely unimportant goal but an annoying one was the penalty equaliser Liverpool got in our Premier League game

We played really well against a distracted Liverpool side about to play a CL final, and going down with a win would have been a nice ending to the PL adventure. Instead we concede a 90th minute penalty

And to make it worse, there wasn't even the fairy tale moment for Robbie Fowler in his final game for Liverpool, as he had been subbed 2 minutes earlier!
  • The right answer is the Fulham goal, but I also remember a match on TV against Leicester in the mid-90s. Sweaty had just got a late headed equaliser for us I think, when Iwan Roberts went up the other end and scored the winner. Hated the gapped-toothed prick ever since.  
  • A really mundane one sticks in my head.
    99/00 season, we got promoted to the Premier League as champions. We limped over the line, after having been leading the division by 16 points at one stage. Didn't win any of our final ten or so games.
    The final match of the season was away to mid-table West Brom. I went up there with my brother, hoping for a good end to the season. Dean Kiely, one of my favourite players, would have broken our clean sheet record if we didn't let in any goals.
    We lost 2-0.
    It was a really cruddy match.
    I think if you watch the highlights, Kiely looks so angry when the goals go in.

So not a massive heartbreak, just a bit of a let down. Football-based despair comes in all sorts of guises.
  • Away at Bramall Lane 2006/07 Darren Ambrose meekly gave the ball away 3/4 of the way up the left touchline, jogged slowly after the gleeful Blade, watched him cross it into the box for the winner, the pisstaking lightweight just shrugged and carried on hiding for the rest of the season as we got relegated.  Charlton's trajectory was by no means set in stone before that game but DA's performance (while typical of him) typified the deepening malaise.

Robin Van Persie shinning in a volley at the Valley minutes after the cheating smug arsehole should have been sent off for an agricultural shoeing of Jimmy Fat Hasselwank - Charlton simply didn't get those sorts of decisions against premier league aristocracy at the time.  I had no issue with one smug cheating dutchman attacking the other, cos I hated that fat sponger, but RVP got away with it scot free and rubbed it in with despicable glee.

Also the premier league relegation season as I recall: that high profile poseur referee (Graham Poll was it? or Barber?) giving a throw in the wrong way, he was the only organism out of 27000 in the stadium who thought it was a visitor's throw in.  The visitors to their credit, took the unwarranted gift, shot up the wing and scored while all in red went postal.  The smug unaccountable wanker in black even had the sheer gall to admit shortly afterwards that he knew he'd got it wrong 'but it's one of those things'.  I hope he's had tinnitus, arthritis, and piles ever since and has to live next door to a wretch that plays incomprehensible jazz at deafening volume 24/7.  Arse.
  • Sponsored links:

• I still haven't forgotten that goal v Fulham. Yep, their guy handles the ball which that muppet Poll missed, therefore comes off that player for a throw which the lino gives to us and Poll overrules and gives a free kick we don't defend it blah blah

The one that killed us that year was McFadden scoring for Everton after Darren Bent got us back in it for a very valuable point 
  • Injury time equaliser at Brum - sent us down into this hell hole division.
  • MrLargo said:

*gabbradini, as John Fuller called him on the end of season video commentary for that painful defeat! 

Was 3-1 at half time for the pedants amongst us, not 3-0, but either way, it was a calamitous second half capitulation!
  • MrLargo said:

*gabbradini, as John Fuller called him on the end of season video commentary for that painful defeat! 

Was 3-1 at half time for the pedants amongst us, not 3-0, but either way, it was a calamitous second half capitulation!
    I stand corrected - should have consulted ‘Home and Away’ book first 
  • Away at Bramall Lane 2006/07 Darren Ambrose meekly gave the ball away 3/4 of the way up the left touchline, jogged slowly after the gleeful Blade, watched him cross it into the box for the winner, the pisstaking lightweight just shrugged and carried on hiding for the rest of the season as we got relegated.  Charlton's trajectory was by no means set in stone before that game but DA's performance (while typical of him) typified the deepening malaise.

Robin Van Persie shinning in a volley at the Valley minutes after the cheating smug arsehole should have been sent off for an agricultural shoeing of Jimmy Fat Hasselwank - Charlton simply didn't get those sorts of decisions against premier league aristocracy at the time.  I had no issue with one smug cheating dutchman attacking the other, cos I hated that fat sponger, but RVP got away with it scot free and rubbed it in with despicable glee.

Also the premier league relegation season as I recall: that high profile poseur referee (Graham Poll was it? or Barber?) giving a throw in the wrong way, he was the only organism out of 27000 in the stadium who thought it was a visitor's throw in.  The visitors to their credit, took the unwarranted gift, shot up the wing and scored while all in red went postal.  The smug unaccountable wanker in black even had the sheer gall to admit shortly afterwards that he knew he'd got it wrong 'but it's one of those things'.  I hope he's had tinnitus, arthritis, and piles ever since and has to live next door to a wretch that plays incomprehensible jazz at deafening volume 24/7.  Arse.
    To add insult to injury it is often shown as one of the greatest Premiership goals, every time they show it I point out to anyone who will listen both the points you make about the red card he should have had minutes before, and the fact that you can clearly see he shins the fucking thing... 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    And to cap it all, it was carnage after the game. Horrible night ... 
  • Can I have 4 goals please ?

I’ll see your derby match and raise you Charlton v Blackpool in 1971. 2-0 up and lost 3-2. 

Scrub that ... 4-1 up at Burnley only to draw 4-4. 
  • _MrDick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    And to cap it all, it was carnage after the game. Horrible night ... 
    Yes - I was at that one - never nice leaving the Den in the dark - the knuckle draggers were out in force that night - I think this was the game I walked to Queens Road, Peckham, rather than to New Cross Gate, to get the train home, to avoid the brain dead
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Think that hurt more now than it did then
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I can't even watch the equaliser, all these years later.  We almost conceded a third, too.

in the Plume after the game, it felt like a loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Apart from all of last seasons last minute foot shooting and the capitulations against Millwall and Palace.  3 stand out.

Nabby at Wembley I actually felt sick. 

Dwight Yorke when I thought we had got a point against the best team in the world then walking down the steps at the back of the Covered End to be offered a free Yorkie bar!!!

And bizarrely there is a goal we scored that always saddens me somewhat when I see it now.  That's Euall's goal against Chelsea on boxing day.  That was the peek of the mountain, I am just glad I didn't know it at the time. 
    The Man Utd one was a sickener. We went down and they won the league by a point I think. Walking up the steps in the JS Stand at the final whistle their fans were really being dicks and I got right in the face of one them, realising at the last second that he was a parent of kids at the school where I taught. Embarrassed hand shakes ensued. 
  • _MrDick said:

I’ll see your derby match and raise you Charlton v Blackpool in 1971. 2-0 up and lost 3-2. 

How about 4-2 and 5-3 up away at Bristol Rovers, only to draw 5-5.

Eloquently put, young Stig.  I wasn't at the Sheff Utd game but you have expressed my thoughts on the other two very well.
  • _MrDick said:

Also remember a game at Hillsborough, think we were 4-1 up but managed to lose 5-4, Tony Cunningham changed the game for them in the second half.
  • edited March 2021
    Most of the ones I had in mind have been said. One that came to mind though was the winner in a league cup game against Blackburn where we'd been 2-0 up with 15 minutes to go and managed to lose 3-2. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but I think a win would have taken us to the quarter finals
    99/00 season, we got promoted to the Premier League as champions. We limped over the line, after having been leading the division by 16 points at one stage. Didn't win any of our final ten or so games.
    The final match of the season was away to mid-table West Brom. I went up there with my brother, hoping for a good end to the season. Dean Kiely, one of my favourite players, would have broken our clean sheet record if we didn't let in any goals.
    We lost 2-0.

So not a massive heartbreak, just a bit of a let down. Football-based despair comes in all sorts of guises.
    I was also there, but I seem to remember West Brom had to win to stay up. Maybe I remember it wrong.
  • The game where Charlie Wright let a really soft one go through his legs and we lost 1-0. Ipswich Town were the opponents, I think.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I was watching this on teletext in an Amsterdam bar. Thought we'd won as the score hadn't changed from 2-0 for well after the final whistle must have gone. Couldn't believe it when the final score finally came up. Was so gutted as it went straight from 2-0 to 2-.

To be fair after another hour or so of more sampling of Amsterdam's products I didn't really give a shit.
    We lost 2-0.

.. and we sang ‘ we’ll never play you again ‘ to the West Brom supporters, that went well..
  • iaitch said:
    _MrDick said:

Also remember a game at Hillsborough, think we were 4-1 up but managed to lose 5-4, Tony Cunningham changed the game for them in the second half.
    Yep. Was there too. It's games like that, that traumatise and stay with you from childhood. Beating Wednesday at Hillsborough, is like winning at Wembley for some (me).