Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Which Conceded Goal Has Upset You Most?

Comments

• Defoe sealing our fate at the Valley, at the time it didn't bother me the slightest as we sang always look on the bright side of life  throughout the last part of the game.

It sunk in on the journey home what it actually meant and who condemned us to relegation.
  • That Leeds game last year would have been the worst footballing experience for Charlton bar none, if we would have been able to attend in person. Was awful from the first minute.

only two goals I have seen in person have made me feel sick. Neither actually mattered in the end. non Charlton was Leigh Griffiths second free kick for Scotland against England.

John Marquis goal to put Doncaster 4-3 up in the play offs. Can remember feel absolutely sick that we have messed it and was struggling to consider where we would be next season when Taylor, Bowyer and all that left in the summer. 
  • cafctom said:
    Will also add, that goals against England in major tournaments tend to leave the biggest scars. Proper dream dashing stuff.
    Club before country for me.

Always this.
  • Defoe sealing our fate at the Valley, at the time it didn't bother me the slightest as we sang always look on the bright side of life  throughout the last part of the game.

It sunk in on the journey home what it actually meant and who condemned us to relegation.
    Never understood the hate for Defoe. He was a school kid who never played a game for us and left when he was a child. 

• For me the 4-4 at the Valley,I think Basey made a cock up and they equalised,if I recall they only had ten men.

The 2-2  at the Den was a crippler when they came back from 2-0 in the last few minutes.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Defoe sealing our fate at the Valley, at the time it didn't bother me the slightest as we sang always look on the bright side of life  throughout the last part of the game.

Never understood the hate for Defoe. He was a school kid who never played a game for us and left when he was a child. 

Agree. That move was down to his parents as much as anything but who can blame them? This was his chance to set himself (and them) up for life and it's not like he just made a quick buck and got out of the game...the bloke is still playing at 38. 

But back to the goal question; probably the Stuart Slater goal for West Ham to knock us out of the cup at Selhurst in the 5th Round. A Quarter-Final place was just begging to be taken....
  • Simonsen said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Defoe sealing our fate at the Valley, at the time it didn't bother me the slightest as we sang always look on the bright side of life  throughout the last part of the game.

Agree. That move was down to his parents as much as anything but who can blame them? This was his chance to set himself (and them) up for life and it's not like he just made a quick buck and got out of the game...the bloke is still playing at 38. 

But back to the goal question; probably the Stuart Slater goal for West Ham to knock us out of the cup at Selhurst in the 5th Round. A Quarter-Final place was just begging to be taken....
    It was the 3Rd Round. 
  • MrOneLung said:

And whenever we boo him he seems to score. MInd you that happens with everyone we boo.
  • edited March 2021
    Simonsen said:
    MrOneLung said:

It was the 3Rd Round. 
    https://youtu.be/nYl3AHCQgBM

This one was the 3rd round and Tony Cottee scored.

https://youtu.be/QP36Nvv-dBQ

This one is Stuart Slater in the 5th round
  • Simonsen said:
    MrOneLung said:

It was the 3Rd Round. 
    We'd beaten Oldham and Kettering at home and it felt like we were finally getting a bit of luck in the cup. Even more so when Mark Ward was dubiously sent off just before half-time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry guys I forgot about that one somehow.
  • Fulham goal. Burst into tears. Wasn't even that young, think maybe 11 lol. Quite old to be crying at football anyway. 

That isn't to say I haven't cried since mind you. 
  • Millwall equaliser at The Old Den when standing on the half way line with my Millwall mate.
    0-2 to Charlton on 85 mins, he says I'll give you this one & laughs.
    We amble towards the exit and they score twice in 5 mins.
    Yes this one, and the one in March 94 where they got the winner in injury time.

Agree entirely about the effect the Fulham one had on our whole season/rest of our life.
  • Sorry guys I forgot about that one somehow.
    The previous West Ham game in Jan 1986 was pretty gutting too. We'd held our own against a really top side that afternoon (maybe the bad pitch helped) and were looking forward to a replay where no doubt we would have taken a really big following. In the end, it was just another in a long line of cup disappointments. 
  • Millwall equaliser at The Old Den when standing on the half way line with my Millwall mate.
    0-2 to Charlton on 85 mins, he says I'll give you this one & laughs.
    We amble towards the exit and they score twice in 5 mins.
    Always this game. I was sitting in the kerb, head in hands afterwards.

Plus Birmingham last season. When that went in, you just knew our fate was sealed.
  • Theres been plenty for me but recently it would be Millwall last season. As soon as Bow took Pratters off all our attacking threat evaporated and only one thing was going to happen when they won that corner. 
  • Seen too many bad goals against us over the years but wasn't too happy with the first goal we let in against P'boro when both centre backs went up for the same ball, cocked it up and their guy just ran through to finish. We had looked totally in command up until then.
  • Conceding that equaliser against Hull in the last minute on the same week as letting in a last minute winner to Swansea iirc was quite demoralising 
  • edited March 2021
    If talking about upset in terms of anger then the most recent would be the first Lincoln goal

How any of that could be given was beyond ridiculous... Wasnt handball, wasnt a penalty, was offside!!

Nearly started throwing furniture
  • John Sheridan's extra time goal in the play off final against Leeds was a real kick in the gut. Thankfully turned out ok though!

Was in Rotterdam for the Holland England WCQ game in '93 and both their goals were sickeners. Remember fans were just sitting in silence after the game. The fact we had the long coach trip home didn't help. Luckily we met up with mates who'd been staying in Amsterdam and had brought some of the city's herbal delights with them that numbed the pain a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2021
    I've just remembered one that killed me as a kid, the last minute Dion Dublin goal in the FA Cup against Leicester. Leicester were terrible that year, they finished 15th in the Championship. We were so poor that day but we improved a bit in the second half and you felt like we had enough to see them off. Nope, last minute corner and Dublin gently nodded the ball in to put them into the Quarters, where they played a struggling Blackburn side. I remember being absolutely crushed leaving the stadium that day.

Another one that drove me insane was the Sheff Wed game at The Valley in 2013. We went 1-0 up early in the second half and both Morrison and Wagstaff hit the woodwork. Waggy's one in particular was a ridiculous shot to not go in. Then they equalised on 84 and won it through Leroy bloody Lita on 89 for one of the least deserved away wins you'll ever see. We were so in control before that. The worst thing is I'd stupidly brought some housemates who weren't that bothered about football, and one of them proceeded to dig at me for the rest of the journey home about how exciting the end of the game was. I hated him.
  • edited March 2021
    I've just remembered one that killed me as a kid, the last minute Dion Dublin goal in the FA Cup against Leicester. Leicester were terrible that year, they finished 15th in the Championship. We were so poor that day but we improved a bit in the second half and you felt like we had enough to see them off. Nope, last minute corner and Dublin gently nodded the ball in to put them into the Quarters, where they played a struggling Blackburn side. I remember being absolutely crushed leaving the stadium that day
    I took a mate to that game and it was dire. They scored first and somehow we equalised.

My mate said 'at least you'll get a draw and replay out of this'. Dublin then promptly scored the winner.
  • cafctom said:
    Will also add, that goals against England in major tournaments tend to leave the biggest scars. Proper dream dashing stuff.
    Club before country for me.
    Naaaa
  • At home to Fulham in the prem, when it clearly went out of play for a throw in. 

Absolutely fucked us. Convinced the rot set in from that one piss poor decision. 
    That was literally right in front of me. To make it even more gutting. 
  • hawksmoor said:
    At home to Fulham in the prem, when it clearly went out of play for a throw in. 

Absolutely fucked us. Convinced the rot set in from that one piss poor decision. 
    That was literally right in front of me. To make it even more gutting. 
    Particularly hurt that Hermann headed his clearance from that free kick into the back of Talal's head which made the ball drop for them. Just awful
  • I've just remembered one that killed me as a kid, the last minute Dion Dublin goal in the FA Cup against Leicester. Leicester were terrible that year, they finished 15th in the Championship. We were so poor that day but we improved a bit in the second half and you felt like we had enough to see them off. Nope, last minute corner and Dublin gently nodded the ball in to put them into the Quarters, where they played a struggling Blackburn side. I remember being absolutely crushed leaving the stadium that day.

Another one that drove me insane was the Sheff Wed game at The Valley in 2013. We went 1-0 up early in the second half and both Morrison and Wagstaff hit the woodwork. Waggy's one in particular was a ridiculous shot to not go in. Then they equalised on 84 and won it through Leroy bloody Lita on 89 for one of the least deserved away wins you'll ever see. We were so in control before that. The worst thing is I'd stupidly brought some housemates who weren't that bothered about football, and one of them proceeded to dig at me for the rest of the journey home about how exciting the end of the game was. I hated him.
    I refused to go to any cup games for a few years after that performance, we were terrible
  • We have to be honest and say most conceded goals that involve errors are annoying. I think this season was Shrewsbury away as it was so clear it was coming and so avoidable on a number of levels.
  • I've just remembered one that killed me as a kid, the last minute Dion Dublin goal in the FA Cup against Leicester. Leicester were terrible that year, they finished 15th in the Championship. We were so poor that day but we improved a bit in the second half and you felt like we had enough to see them off. Nope, last minute corner and Dublin gently nodded the ball in to put them into the Quarters, where they played a struggling Blackburn side. I remember being absolutely crushed leaving the stadium that day.

I refused to go to any cup games for a few years after that performance, we were terrible
    Me too. Didn't help that I'd gone to Gillingham the year before
  • Can I have 4 goals please ?

Charlton vs Derby at the Valley in the 90’s - we were 3-0 up at half time - lost 4-3 - I had a terrible hangover, it was a cold and wet miserable day, but I felt chipper at half time - walked out the ground feeling like dog shite