Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British savoury foods

I like the chaos these normally cause, so, what do we think?:

Black pudding and bubble and squeak way too low for me, and crumpets and yorkshires are nice but nowhere near God tier.

Comments

• Options
    Pie and mash has to be a lot higher than that surely. Can tell that list has been made by younger generation, as most of the crap tier are things that were more popular in the past.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Definitely agree with the crap tier, don't like anything on that. Do enjoy a beef wellington and pork pie so would have them up one. Crumpets shouldn't be at the god, would move it down at least one. 
  • Options
    Yorkshire pudding, crumpets, cauliflower cheese, Welsh rarebit, lava bread, bubble and squeak, depending on exact ingredients would all be mid to low tier for me.
    All the rest automatically in the crap tier, lower if there was a 0% category.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yorkshire pudding, crumpets, cauliflower cheese, Welsh rarebit, lava bread, bubble and squeak, depending on exact ingredients would all be mid to low tier for me.
    What the hell do you eat?
  • Options
    No meat no fish.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Welsh rarebit is basically nicer cheese on toast!  Top tier for me.
  • Options
    Steak & Kidney Pie and Pudding up to the God tier.

Liver to the top tier, along with Scotch eggs, black pudding and pork pies.

Bacon sandwich is a waste of a spot - a full English (rightly in the God tier) plus a couple of slices of bread gives you two for the price of one.

Yorkshire Puddings and crumpets can both do one!
  • Options
    Agree with the god tier although toad in the hole could also be included.

Wouldn't put faggots or haggis anywhere near the crap tier, am partial to both of them.

Meat & Potato pie should also be in there somewhere (near the top)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    No meat no fish.
    Because it's all crap or because you are a vegetarian? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bubble & Squeak should not be on a low tier. Exceptional stuff.

And surely scotch eggs should get some sort of honorary status for enabling us to go to the pub before Christmas.

Anything with liver or kidney should have its own category, specifically for people with cannibalistic tendencies.
  • Options
    Kippers and haggis are great
  • Options
    Pie and mash has to be a lot higher than that surely. Can tell that list has been made by younger generation, as most of the crap tier are things that were more popular in the past.
    Unpopular opinion from me as a Londoner: Pie and mash is bang average, really bland.

Basically 90% of other pies, served with gravy, are better than the traditional pie, mash and liquor.  Give me steak and ale over it any day.

I share that unpopular opinion - certainly soggy Manzes pies. My wife loves them (Deptford girl) and has indoctrinated our boys - I have to get them delivered along with the liquor!

• Options
    Beef Wellington and tikka both deserve to be much higher too.
  • Options
    Chicken tikka masala  should be in the crap tier, not a proper curry, which, depending on how it was done, would in the top tier for me. I'd move crumpets and Yorkshires down one, steak and kidney pie up two, (very top if done really well), toad in the hole and pie and mash down one, Ploughman's is a bit meh so that too. Bubble and squeak up one, black pudding, kippers, haggis and steak and kidney pudding up two and faggots up one. 
    Added to the "crap" tier I'd have spam, most sausage rolls, anything from a motorway service station. And there's not enough cheese on that list, British cheeses are often excellent - a proper farmhouse matured cheddar easily in top tier for me, with a nice bit of pickle. 

• Options
    Also cornish pasty - most aren't great but when you get a proper one they are really good.
  • Options
    Better than talking about tomorrow's game, eh?

• Options
    all god tier.

apart from Chicken Tikka and crumpets. mid tier for me. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Bratwurst, Schnitzel and Sauerkraut more your thing? 
    Now, now!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Deep fried Mars bars didn't make the list?

Edit - Just spotted it's a savoury list 🤭.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    No meat no fish.
    Because it's all crap or because you are a vegetarian? 

I'm afraid it's because I am a vegetarian.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Better than talking about tomorrow's game, eh?

Less depressing certainly!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    No. They're all meat based as far as I know, so not my thing if you're genuinely interested.
  • Options
    Swap crumpets with pork pie

Move shepherds pie and cottage pie down and replace with scotch egg and bubble & squeak

I agree with everything on the bottom row! 
  • Options
    Liver and kidney are both awful.

Always so disappointing to see "Steak and..." and then it's kidney rather than ale, mushroom etc.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    No. They're all meat based as far as I know, so not my thing if you're genuinely interested.
    Sauerkraut isn't.
  • Options
    Massively disagree with those findings  :D

Yorkshire Pudding and crumpets to me would be Low Tier - how can a Yorkshire Pudding be higher than Toad in the Hole? Fish and chips mid tier
    All 3 in the Top tier would be Mid Tier
    Cauliflower Cheese, Pie and Mash, Ploughmans and Welsh Rarebit should be low
    Cornish pasties need to be split between proper ones which would be God, and Ginsters type ones which would be low
    EVERYTHING in Low should be Mid, except Lancashire Hotpot and Steak and Kidney pie which would be Top
    Steak and Kidney pudding, black pudding, liver and onions would be top, Haggis and Faggots mid tier, kippers low

• Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Sauerkraut isn't.
    Fair enough. It seems to be cabbage based.
    Does it qualify on a 'British savoury foods' thread?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Most things on there I'd have agreed with 6 months ago (with a different tier for most). Now though most of them are automatically in the 'crap tier' as I remind myself that an animal had to die for me to eat that product.  

Cheese and Marmite swirls are probably my most favourite savoury snack. I also loved Chicken snacks, but mostly they're off the menu now.

Chicken replacements out there are actually pretty decent now. So anything with the replacements these days is automatically good.

Anything else is beneath those.