Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Decimal day-fifty years ago today

1235»

Comments

• Getting back to old weights and measures - do you still buy eggs by the dozen/half dozen?
    Never mind that, the real question is do you go to work on an egg...
    Do you need to, if wfh?
  • Can’t believe this was two score and ten years ago 
  • edited February 2021
    There were complaints about how small the new coins were, small and light. Mind you a handful of the old coins could tether a blimp.
  • When I was at school there was a small shop in a little bungalow we passed on the way home that sold sweets, cigarettes and home knitted items (including toilet roll covers!). It was run by a little old lady, who probably wasn't actually that old, and she couldn't get the hang of decimal currency.

If you bought some sweets, gave her 10p you would more often than not get more back in change than you gave her. Of course we knew she had got it wrong but didn't say anything. Looking back that was obviously a very mean thing to do, be we were young.

The shop closed soon after.

• I was born post monetary decimalisation, and would have learnt metric at school, but use metric very rarely for anything. 

Height in feet and inches
    Weight in pound and ounces
    Distance in miles and yards
    Length in metres and centimetres (apart from the obvious)
    Milk and Beer in pints
    Eggs by the dozen 
    Hot weather - Fahrenheit
    Cold Weather - Celcius

My eldest is early teens. I just asked her all of the above, and she was imperial with everything except:-
    All weather - Celcius.
    Eggs -  "in boxes".

• seth plum said:
    Brill.
    Are we allowed a brexit debate on this thread now the Republic of Ireland has been mentioned by others?
    OK then brexit supporters who scorn Ireland, tell us your plan for the border on the island of Ireland that separates the UK from the EU that you voted to 'leave'.
    I'll give the thread 10 mins....

We have left the EU, the border is still there, it's imperfect but pragmatic. I'm not sure as a leaver that "I" need a plan - that's what the elected politicians have put in place and signed off on. It clearly hasn't been the barrier that you implied throughout or that our friends in the EU politicised.
    Don't know what happened but I posted a reply to this around noon today. Might have been deleted by the mods. Who knows. Not the thread for discussing the Irish border so I'll leave it there.