Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New things you’ve tried or discovered in the last year

Comments

• Options
    Since the turn of the year we are having one vegan meal a week , my wife’s mission is to do a year of it ...
    I have the blandest taste buds  , no interest in any veg except , peas , broccoli, brussel sprouts , cauliflower at a push and they all need a roast dinner   ....

fucking hell it’s rank , no wonder these vegan types are angry fuckers , she’s made some good efforts  but butternuts and whatever other guff she has attempted is rank and with 4 lame sons like me , the faces that get pulled as this healthy shit is served up 
    fuck that
    I so think the same as you about nearly everything :-)
  • Options
    CEI 
  • Options
    Selling my Vinyl LP's & singles on eBay. It's quite an art form to suss the appropriate price, check to ensure they play well, whether to auction or do 'Buy it now' (or both) and then post the discs so they look great when they arrive. Also sold books and other unwanted clobber from my attic, including banjo and electric guitar. 
    I've also been selling some old stuff that was stuck away in the loft, mainly things that I've had for 50+ years that have been in the loft for well over half that time.

Generally gone well with only one person not paying after bidding what I thought was too much anyway. Wish I'd kept more, its amazing what some people will buy. 

• Options
    CEI 
    Crack, Ecstasy and Ibuprofen?
  • Options
    Mowing the lawn.

Taking ownership of the log burner.

Washing up, loading and unloading dishwasher.

Getting OCD on the above and doing Mrs Sunburys nut in.
  • Options
    Making model aircraft and LEGO Architecture kit
  • Options
    Working from home, saving money by not going out, valley pass, a pair of 501s wear out a lot quicker if you are also wearing them during the day Monday to Friday, electricity and gas bills are a lot bigger if everybody is at home all day and night 
  • Options
    Spotify 
    Amazon Prime 
    Netflix 

Not sure I’d have got through the last year without Netflix!
  • Options
    Spotify 
    Amazon Prime 
    Netflix 

Not sure I’d have got through the last year without Netflix!
    Yeah with you on that - Netflix is superb

I have also spent far more time on YouTube looking up stuff I am interested in (mainly historic military vehicles) - amazed at how much is on there
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The joys (and frustrations) of creating a landscaped 00 scale model railway layout without any real prior experience. Thank God for YouTube....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    The joys (and frustrations) of creating a landscaped 00 scale model railway layout without any real prior experience. Thank God for YouTube....
    Proper Charlton....
  • Options
    Those Le Creuset oven trays are £35! Madness for a bit of oven metal!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    There are so many alternatives to making banana bread. Try banana and chocolate chip muffins:

https://www.bakingmad.com/recipe/banana-and-chocolate-chip-muffins

Or go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/food and type banana in the search bar for over 400 different recipes - although many of those are also banana bread! 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Those Le Creuset oven trays are £35! Madness for a bit of oven metal!
    especially when they turn your culinary creations into lumps of anthracite 
  • Options
    Peanut butter. Had always convinced myself that I somehow hated it. Have got through several kilos of it since last July.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    If you have not come across it Everard Junction is very good on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=everard+junction+2020
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

You ain't really Charlton till you've come across a railway website
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That I’m a generally lazy fecker.
  • Options
    Making my own roast potatoes and mash.

Don't think I'll ever buy frozen roasts or microwave mash again.
  • Options
    Peanut butter. Had always convinced myself that I somehow hated it. Have got through several kilos of it since last July.
    I’ve only tried it for the first time in the last year too 
  • Options
    Doing a (very modest, senior) workout nearly every morning since the autumn set in. Managed to not put on weight at all
    Virtual beers on Zoom. Spoken to my best mate at Poly (who is now in Sydney) more in the last year than in the previous 30.
    Learning to use a soldering iron. Never used one before. (mainly for the model railway)
    Growing more and new veg. Chillies a major success. 
    Making soups (which often have chilli in them)
    Not setting foot in a regular supermarket for a year. Devoted user and fan of our local version of Ocado. This will be permanent.
  • Options
    Especially in the last 6 weeks or so,  I have found I am using my 2021 calendar a lot.
    Don't think I even looked at it pre Covid.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Simonsen said:

Yes, Mr Everard Junction has taught me a lot, as has Mr Charlie Chadwick. Seriously, without people like that, there's no way I would've attempted it! Good job there's been no football....it's proper expensive (I had to get a shed built for it first!) 
  • Options
    Looks like I've got something new thanks to a tip from mates, very interested to know if anyone else is using it or similar: Radio Garden. millions of radio stations around the globe, sorted, loosely, but based on a globe visualisation which is quite entrancing.

Just been using it a couple of days but so far my favourite is this one out of Kiev which is designated as blues, but plays the type of blues I like, mean guitar-led blues -rock. And so far nothing, but nothing, has interrupted the music.

Anyone got any  foreign stations to share that you found on a site like this? (Need to know what music you like to start off with of course)

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

Yes, Mr Everard Junction has taught me a lot, as has Mr Charlie Chadwick. Seriously, without people like that, there's no way I would've attempted it! Good job there's been no football....it's proper expensive (I had to get a shed built for it first!) 
    I know all about the expense, I have built a couple of layouts myself. Good luck with yours.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

I know all about the expense, I have built a couple of layouts myself. Good luck with yours.
    Wait til' you are tempted to move up to G Scale, in the garden...
  • Options
    Looks like I've got something new thanks to a tip from mates, very interested to know if anyone else is using it or similar: Radio Garden. millions of radio stations around the globe, sorted, loosely, but based on a globe visualisation which is quite entrancing.

Just been using it a couple of days but so far my favourite is this one out of Kiev which is designated as blues, but plays the type of blues I like, mean guitar-led blues -rock. And so far nothing, but nothing, has interrupted the music.

Anyone got any  foreign stations to share that you found on a site like this? (Need to know what music you like to start off with of course)

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/91077/radio-garden-website