Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electric guitar recommendation for beginner

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    T_C_E said:
    Trying to get my fat fingers on an A cord ffs, nigh impossible 😂😂😂
    We've all been there ... ha ha

If you're trying to play the usual 2nd fret A shape and struggling, there's other ways.
    Apart from bar chords  or  flattening 1 finger fretting 3 strings, here's one suggestion:

All on 2nd fret:
    1st finger on G string
    2nd finger on D string
    3rd finger on B string

It works for me!

Trying both ways @OggyRed
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Oggy Red said:
    T_C_E said:

If you're trying to play the usual 2nd fret A shape and struggling, there's other ways.
    Apart from bar chords  or  flattening 1 finger fretting 3 strings, here's one suggestion:

All on 2nd fret:
    1st finger on G string
    2nd finger on D string
    3rd finger on B string

It works for me!

Or as you get used to it you can block all three strings with one finger.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    PopIcon said:
    Vintage make some excellent and affordable guitars. 

https://vintageguitarsus.com/electric-acoustic/
    Another shout out here for Vintage guitars. They really should make me an endorsee - I love 'em. They are incredible value for money. They're made gawd knows where - Vietnam? China? Korea? Anyway, all the hardware is Wilkinson and so is better quality than you'd expect at the money they're selling for. Plus, I hear Trev Wilkinson himself personally visits the factories to ensure quality. Harley Benton are ok and may even be made in the same factory, but they don't benefit from Wilkinson hardware.

If you are on a budget you can't get better. I use a couple of Vintage guitars for gigs (remember them?), because they look good, they sound good and if they got nicked it's not the end of the world. 
    Where can you buy them in the UK, @Saga Lout? I have been aware of this brand for years - they look really good, and yet it's very difficult to find a supplier that I am aware of.  Andertons don't touch them, Thomann obviously don't want a brand that competes with Harley Benton.  And yet, they crop up on eBay and Reverb from time to time.  

It's almost impossible to Google them without seeing a range of 'vintage guitars' from other brands.  Where do I get one?  (Or, more honestly, two or three...). 

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Chizz said:
    Saga Lout said:
    PopIcon said:

Another shout out here for Vintage guitars. They really should make me an endorsee - I love 'em. They are incredible value for money. They're made gawd knows where - Vietnam? China? Korea? Anyway, all the hardware is Wilkinson and so is better quality than you'd expect at the money they're selling for. Plus, I hear Trev Wilkinson himself personally visits the factories to ensure quality. Harley Benton are ok and may even be made in the same factory, but they don't benefit from Wilkinson hardware.

If you are on a budget you can't get better. I use a couple of Vintage guitars for gigs (remember them?), because they look good, they sound good and if they got nicked it's not the end of the world. 
    Where can you buy them in the UK, @Saga Lout? I have been aware of this brand for years - they look really good, and yet it's very difficult to find a supplier that I am aware of.  Andertons don't touch them, Thomann obviously don't want a brand that competes with Harley Benton.  And yet, they crop up on eBay and Reverb from time to time.  

It's almost impossible to Google them without seeing a range of 'vintage guitars' from other brands.  Where do I get one?  (Or, more honestly, two or three...). 

@Chizz

https://www.hoganmusic.co.uk/brands-vintage.irc

https://www.hotroxuk.com/guitars-ukuleles/vintage-guitars-4176-0.html

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Saga Lout said:
    PopIcon said:

Gak in Brighton do them.
  • Options

Someone on here recently wrote they were going to buy something from Thonmann, did this go smoothly? - curious as to whether there is any post Brexit red-tape / hidden import charges / delays.
  • Options
    milo said:
    Chizz said:
    Saga Lout said:
    PopIcon said:

Gak in Brighton do them.
    I don't even know where to begin with that phrase. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    Saga Lout said:
    PopIcon said:

@Chizz

https://www.hoganmusic.co.uk/brands-vintage.irc

https://www.hotroxuk.com/guitars-ukuleles/vintage-guitars-4176-0.html

I thank you. (My bank manager won't). 
  • Options
    https://www.ivormairants.co.uk/guitar-and-bass/brands/vintage.html

I looked up their site, and sadly their shop in Rathbone Place is no more, I spent a great afternoon in there picking out an acoustic about 15 years ago. But, plenty online.
  • Options
    milo said:

Someone on here recently wrote they were going to buy something from Thonmann, did this go smoothly? - curious as to whether there is any post Brexit red-tape / hidden import charges / delays.
    All Thomann prices are now, thanks to Brexit, excluding VAT.

Take their advertised price ...... and add on shipping, customs charges, plus 20% VAT.
    And don't forget Royal Mail want their £8 extra for handling the above.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Saga Lout said:
    PopIcon said:

I think others have answered for me. I've bought Vintage guitars from: Kent Instrument Swap shop Facebook page (2nd hand), ebay (x2 - 1 new, 1 2nd hand) and I won one from the Vintage Guitar Players Facebook page.

For help and advice I would definitely recommend the Vintage Guitar Players FB page, if you use Facebook.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Chizz said:
    Saga Lout said:
    PopIcon said:

I think others have answered for me. I've bought Vintage guitars from: Kent Instrument Swap shop Facebook page (2nd hand), ebay (x2 - 1 new, 1 2nd hand) and I won one from the Vintage Guitar Players Facebook page.

For help and advice I would definitely recommend the Vintage Guitar Players FB page, if you use Facebook.
    Thank you
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    T_C_E said:
    Oggy Red said:
    T_C_E said:

All on 2nd fret:
    1st finger on G string
    2nd finger on D string
    3rd finger on B string

It works for me!

Or as you get used to it you can block all three strings with one finger.
    Great shout, that works for me.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    milo said:

Me! Second purchase from them. Yup, guitar advertised as £50 came to about £76 with shipping and VAT. Still an incredibly low price for a decent sounding & playing acoustic. Came a week after I ordered. 

For a first timer, or someone (like me) who loves to play but doesn't have the free time to warrant paying more, they really are a good deal. 

This is the one: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbcg45.htm
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    milo said:

Me! Second purchase from them. Yup, guitar advertised as £50 came to about £76 with shipping and VAT. Still an incredibly low price for a decent sounding & playing acoustic. Came a week after I ordered. 

For a first timer, or someone (like me) who loves to play but doesn't have the free time to warrant paying more, they really are a good deal. 

Did you have to pay anything on receipt of the guitar, as well as the charges from Thomann? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    EastStand said:
    milo said:

Did you have to pay anything on receipt of the guitar, as well as the charges from Thomann? 
    Apologies for butting in on the conversation, but for info - I bought a guitar at Christmas from Thomann. Between purchase and delivery the Brexit deal kicked in. They refunded the VAT that I had paid but I had to pay duty charges on line prior to delivery. It ended up costing me more than buying the same guitar in the UK. Maybe I was unlucky. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    EastStand said:
    milo said:

Nope! Just paid everything up front. Guitar + VAT + shipping.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    EastStand said:
    Chizz said:
    EastStand said:
    milo said:

I have used them before and they can be very competitive price wise however avoided them recently because they had removed the VAT from the price the headline price and I was a bit cautious having heard of some horror stories post Brexit. So do they add the VAT at the checkout?
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    EastStand said:
    Chizz said:
    EastStand said:
    milo said:

I have used them before and they can be very competitive price wise however avoided them recently because they had removed the VAT from the price the headline price and I was a bit cautious having heard of some horror stories post Brexit. So do they add the VAT at the checkout?
    From what I remember yeah. When you select shipping country I believe. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IAgree said:
    EastStand said:
    Chizz said:
    EastStand said:
    milo said:

Same here.  (I wanted to post 'I agree', but couldn't bring myself to do so to one of your posts). 
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    Chizz said:
    EastStand said:
    milo said:

Thomann must have now made arrangement with HMRC to collect VAT payment at source.

Many EU based companies are refusing to do so, because of the extra paperwork involved.