Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electric guitar recommendation for beginner

Comments

• Options
    One thing that is worth buying is a chromatic tuner for less than a tenner.
  • Options
    Thanks all. Gonna have a slow read through this thread tonight and cheer myself up after today's result.
  • Options
    Thanks all. Gonna have a slow read through this thread tonight and cheer myself up after today's result.
    Yeah, today's result has left us all playing Bflat. :neutral:

• Options
    Would also recommend a Harley Benton from Thomann https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton.html. I’ve got a short scale bass from there to teach myself the 4 finger fandango and it only cost me £80! Amazing for the orice
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    Would also recommend a Harley Benton from Thomann https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton.html. I’ve got a short scale bass from there to teach myself the 4 finger fandango and it only cost me £80! Amazing for the orice

• Options
    The Squier Classic Vibe series are very good. Comparable to the Mexican Fenders
  • Options
    It was a mistake to go onto thomann’s site again, just bought an acoustic haha. Tbf mine broke months ago and I was looking to replace it. A semi acoustic for £70, it would be rude not to buy it.
  • Options
    EastStand said:
    It was a mistake to go onto thomann’s site again, just bought an acoustic haha. Tbf mine broke months ago and I was looking to replace it. A semi acoustic for £70, it would be rude not to buy it.
    An acoustic haha?  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    EastStand said:
    An acoustic haha?  
    Apparently! My phone thinks it knows what I’m trying to say better than I do.
  • Options
    Did you buy yet RCT? What did you go for?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Markg2004 said:

Yes I did thanks mate.  Got in touch with Andertons after the recommendations on here.  Didn't want to buy blind on amazon or ebay and can't see myself going to a shop for a while so it seemed the best bet.

They were good with the advice (I presume) and very helpful and recommended a Squier Affinity Strat bundle with a Fender Frontman 15g amp.  Ordered it and have to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive and am looking forward to getting started.

Also registered on the JustinGuitar website which is an excellent free resource and has got even better in the past 4 years since I looked at it.

Ordered a couple of his books and music stand and guitar stand along with a bunch of pics so I when it all arrives I will be the definition of "all the gear and no idea" ;-)

Thanks again for all the advice on here as narrowed down a minefield. 

Really looking forward to getting started.

One more, very, very important piece of advice that you have to understand, sooner rather than later. 

There is an ideal number of guitars to own.

That number is however many guitars you currently have, plus one. 

So, with that in mind, what are you going to buy next? 

You joke, I've already been eyeing up loads thinking "how good do i have to get before I can justify that!" :-)
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Markg2004 said:

Yes I did thanks mate.  Got in touch with Andertons after the recommendations on here.  Didn't want to buy blind on amazon or ebay and can't see myself going to a shop for a while so it seemed the best bet.

They were good with the advice (I presume) and very helpful and recommended a Squier Affinity Strat bundle with a Fender Frontman 15g amp.  Ordered it and have to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive and am looking forward to getting started.

Also registered on the JustinGuitar website which is an excellent free resource and has got even better in the past 4 years since I looked at it.

Ordered a couple of his books and music stand and guitar stand along with a bunch of pics so I when it all arrives I will be the definition of "all the gear and no idea" ;-)

One more, very, very important piece of advice that you have to understand, sooner rather than later. 

There is an ideal number of guitars to own.

That number is however many guitars you currently have, plus one. 

So, with that in mind, what are you going to buy next? 

You joke, I've already been eyeing up loads thinking "how good do i have to get much do I have to enjoy it before I can justify that!" :-)
    Fixed because enjoying it is all that matters  B)
  • Options
    Markg2004 said:

Nice, i've gone very beginner with an Eastcoast Strat bundle. Never played before but with so much time on my hands I wanted to try playing without an huge cost. View is if I enjoy it and get into it then improve my set up.

Watched a few Andertons videos and JustinGuitar too so Eastcoast seemed ideal for me to get a feel for playing without the worry of 'oh sh*t I spent xyz and used it twice!'.

Like you, wanted to go to a music shop rather than Amazon etc as can always talk and get advice. I was happy with the overall style, how the setup sounded on videos, the choice of pickups etc. as well as eyeing up the next guitar if I really take to it as Chizz states.

Can't wait for it to come...not sure if the missus agrees though!

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Markg2004 said:
    Markg2004 said:

Nice, i've gone very beginner with an Eastcoast Strat bundle. Never played before but with so much time on my hands I wanted to try playing without an huge cost. View is if I enjoy it and get into it then improve my set up.

Watched a few Andertons videos and JustinGuitar too so Eastcoast seemed ideal for me to get a feel for playing without the worry of 'oh sh*t I spent xyz and used it twice!'.

Like you, wanted to go to a music shop rather than Amazon etc as can always talk and get advice. I was happy with the overall style, how the setup sounded on videos, the choice of pickups etc. as well as eyeing up the next guitar if I really take to it as Chizz states.

Can't wait for it to come...not sure if the missus agrees though!

You and me both, I’ve got very badly arthritic hands and I’ve been told to exercise them. I saw this thread and after watching guitar videos the exercising is pretty similar to playing so it was either try and learn the guitar or go down the @DaveMehmet route 😳
    So I went for the East coast 12 pack. 
  • Options
    Anyone looking for some guitar bits i have a Boss GT1 processor and a Marshall amp in the classifieds.
  • Options
    I'd recommend a guitar that gives the beginner all the options to play different styles at all levels.

Image result for triple neck guitar
  • Options
    Trying to get my fat fingers on an A cord ffs, nigh impossible 😂😂😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When they bring this out as American made I’m getting one! Bit more expensive 

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fender-offset-series-duo-sonic-hs-644390
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Keep going TCE. It's a bugger at first and it's amazing how learning the guitar leads everyone to believe they have fat fingers. With practice you'll soon find the A pretty easy and you'll move on to wondering if you can ever perfect a B. Then you'll master that that and the B7 will become your new bête  noir. They're all doable; practicing little and often is the key.
  • Options
    And a last option Gretch Jet - I have one brought upon the basis of this review and it’s astoundingly good 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPTy21FDvU

pacifica is in list after list although I’ve never tried one and Squire produce some great guitars although I tend to prefer short scale lengths as I have fingers like sausages.

Go on Guitar.Com (don’t subscribe to the Magazine) Guitar Interactive (free), Music Radar (free) and Justin Guitar (free and absolutely superb tutorial site).
  • Options
    Stig said:
    T_C_E said:
    Keep going TCE. It's a bugger at first and it's amazing how learning the guitar leads everyone to believe they have fat fingers. With practice you'll soon find the A pretty easy and you'll move on to wondering if you can ever perfect a B. Then you'll master that that and the B7 will become your new bête  noir. They're all doable; practicing little and often is the key.
    PS - if you're seriously struggling, try starting about with an A7 or an Asus2 which are considerably easier because they only require two fingers. Once you've got them under your belt, it's easier to step up.
  • Options
    I’ve been lent this for the weekend and it really is superb. Recommended for anyone who doesn’t want to buy amps and effects.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I’ve been following Justin guitar, or at least trying to follow his lessons. He’s right about finger pain, I’d thought I’d be ok but obviously five years off the tools has given me soft hands. I limit my practice to 15/20 minutes per day. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I’ve been following Justin guitar, or at least trying to follow his lessons. He’s right about finger pain, I’d thought I’d be ok but obviously five years off the tools has given me soft hands. I limit my practice to 15/20 per day. 
    Hours?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:
    I’ve been following Justin guitar, or at least trying to follow his lessons. He’s right about finger pain, I’d thought I’d be ok but obviously five years off the tools has given me soft hands. I limit my practice to 15/20 per day. 
    Hours?
    😉
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Vintage make some excellent and affordable guitars. 

https://vintageguitarsus.com/electric-acoustic/
    Another shout out here for Vintage guitars. They really should make me an endorsee - I love 'em. They are incredible value for money. They're made gawd knows where - Vietnam? China? Korea? Anyway, all the hardware is Wilkinson and so is better quality than you'd expect at the money they're selling for. Plus, I hear Trev Wilkinson himself personally visits the factories to ensure quality. Harley Benton are ok and may even be made in the same factory, but they don't benefit from Wilkinson hardware.

If you are on a budget you can't get better. I use a couple of Vintage guitars for gigs (remember them?), because they look good, they sound good and if they got nicked it's not the end of the world. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    We've all been there ... ha ha

If you're trying to play the usual 2nd fret A shape and struggling, there's other ways.
    Apart from bar chords  or  flattening 1 finger fretting 3 strings, here's one suggestion:

All on 2nd fret:
    1st finger on G string
    2nd finger on D string
    3rd finger on B string

It works for me!