Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

greatest show on turf Cheltenham 2021

Comments

• Options
    I've heard the elliott thing is personal, someone close and more to come
  • Options
    Good on Cheveley Park and hopefully more will follow out of the yard. Hopefully just O'Leary left and both scumbags can rot together and the better off racing will be without them! 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Exactly that Bob. I don’t even really follow racing, mainly just this Cheltenham thread each year, but you don’t attack all doctors and health workers just because of Harold Shipman and the same should apply to racing. 
    Not really a fair comparison. For some the act of forcing an animal to run for the sake of gambling is a serious moral issue. You really can’t compare it to one monster practicing medicine. 

The fact Elliott and James feel confident enough to do this in front of others speaks volumes.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Exactly that Bob. I don’t even really follow racing, mainly just this Cheltenham thread each year, but you don’t attack all doctors and health workers just because of Harold Shipman and the same should apply to racing. 
    Not really a fair comparison. For some the act of forcing an animal to run for the sake of gambling is a serious moral issue. You really can’t compare it to one monster practicing medicine. 

The fact Elliott and James feel confident enough to do this in front of others speaks volumes.
    Speaks volumes about them or about an entire industry ?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MrOneLung said:

I really don't think it reflects an entire industry. We know that from all the trainers, owners, commentators who have condemned it without hesitation. Having known a number in the business (I’ve had horses with 5 trainers) I have no doubt that Elliott is in a very small minority, even though there will sadly be others. 
    And I'm not defending anyone in involved in that Elliott photo - they should all have to account for themselves.
    But you have to allow for the fact that Elliott is (presumably) their boss.
    It sets an atrocious example and has no doubt encouraged copycat attitudes but, to be fair, it would take a lad with a very strong character (they're probably feeling lucky to be employed at the yard) to object to it to his face.
    I wouldn’t extrapolate conclusions about an entire industry from it.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I really don't think it reflects an entire industry. We know that from all the trainers, owners, commentators who have condemned it without hesitation. Having known a number in the business (I’ve had horses with 5 trainers) I have no doubt that Elliott is in a very small minority, even though there will sadly be others. 
    And I'm not defending anyone in involved in that Elliott photo - they should all have to account for themselves.
    But you have to allow for the fact that Elliott is (presumably) their boss.
    It sets an atrocious example and has no doubt encouraged copycat attitudes but, to be fair, it would take a lad with a very strong character (they're probably feeling lucky to be employed at the yard) to object to it to his face.
    I wouldn’t extrapolate conclusions about an entire industry from it.
    I agree completely, Peanuts. I’m not sure who the poster was referring to though. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

On the yards. I work in the industry and 99% are outraged.
    Both pics have others laughing as it’s the norm. That’s inhuman and they’ve run the horses to death too. I could go on about the the Grand Nat and others but all in the sport on any race can expect their horse to break its neck and suffer a horrible death! Right? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Both pics have others laughing as it’s the norm. That’s inhuman and they’ve run the horses to death too. I could go on about the the Grand Nat and others but all in the sport on any race can expect their horse to break its neck and suffer a horrible death! Right? 
    ‘It’s the norm’

Evidence please.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

‘It’s the norm’

Evidence please.
    I suspect they meant "as if it's the norm". And if you're straddling dead horses or pretending to ride them, like an absolute sick prick, then maybe that sort of behaviour - in certain yards, not all - is in some way normalised?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    MrOneLung said:

‘It’s the norm’

Evidence please.
    I suspect they meant "as if it's the norm". And if you're straddling dead horses or pretending to ride them, like an absolute sick prick, then maybe that sort of behaviour - in certain yards, not all - is in some way normalised?
    Perhaps, but the same poster earlier on accused another poster of a similar thing and was way off the mark, so I don’t know what to suspect.
  • Options
    Yeah ElliotCAFC said:
    MrOneLung said:

“It’s the norm”. Absolute nonsense. I understand not being a fan of horse racing, although I don’t feel the same I understand that point of view. To suggest this is normal behaviour is ridiculous though, you can see it’s not from the industries reaction. 
  • Options
    not to gloss over elliots appauling behaviour but watched the attheraces preview - load of crap just spoke about faves and covered 9 races i didnt need half hour telling me good envoi is. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Is there any evidence that they hurt the animals? Or are they just taking really, really tasteless pictures once the animals are dead?

I don't understand why on earth you would want to be in a picture like that... 
    Just saying goodbye to his horse.
  • Options
    6 month ban and a 15k fine for Elliot 
  • Options
    6 month ban and a 15k fine for Elliot 
    Not good enough tbh. Bloke needs to see the owners vote with their feet and I hope they do.
  • Options
    Of course what Elliot done is sick but I do feel for the stable staff who earn f all and horses they’ve cared for all there life’s - not fair really 
    Were they the ones laughing and taking the picture???
    And who is to say he doesn’t do it everytime a horse has a heart attack on his watch? 
    More to come ... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Denise Foster is taking over the Elliott operation, so the jobs are safe(ish) .. I'll wager that Big G still has a big influence from the 'sidelines'
  • Options
    Denise Foster is taking over the Elliott operation, so the jobs are safe(ish) .. I'll wager that Big G still has a big influence from the 'sidelines'
    I would say so too but it’s good move the poor staff don’t deserve it what that prick done he’s only sorry he’s been caught 
  • Options
    Paddy Power giving three free £5 bets.
    • First Free Bet must be used on the 13:20 Supreme Novices Hurdle at Cheltenham on Tuesday (March 16th).
    • Second Free Bet must be used on the 13:20 Ballymore Novices Hurdle at Cheltenham on Wednesday (March 17th).
    • Third Free Bet is open to all races that day and must be used by the 16:50 Kim Muir Challenge Cup Handicap Chase at Cheltenham on Thursday (March 18th).
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Paddy Power giving three free £5 bets.
    • First Free Bet must be used on the 13:20 Supreme Novices Hurdle at Cheltenham on Tuesday (March 16th).
    • Second Free Bet must be used on the 13:20 Ballymore Novices Hurdle at Cheltenham on Wednesday (March 17th).
    • Third Free Bet is open to all races that day and must be used by the 16:50 Kim Muir Challenge Cup Handicap Chase at Cheltenham on Thursday (March 18th).
    there must be a catch !!! .. but I can't see it  B)
  • Options
    SkyBet offering money back if your horse loses in the first race on the Tuesday. Max £10.
    win only or the win part of an each way bet.

I’m sure they had the same offer on the first race each day last year.
    Only seen it advertised for the Tuesday so far though.
  • Options
    Right then, let's all have a brag. For those of us playing antepost, what's the best bet you have?

For me, it's 25/1 about Happygolucky for the Ultima (now 6s), followed by 25/1 about Zanza for the Grand Annual (now mainly 9s, a couple 10s). I have them both in singles and doubles. Be a very happy man if even one of them slams home!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Right then, let's all have a brag. For those of us playing antepost, what's the best bet you have?

For me, it's 25/1 about Happygolucky for the Ultima (now 6s), followed by 25/1 about Zanza for the Grand Annual (now mainly 9s, a couple 10s). I have them both in singles and doubles. Be a very happy man if even one of them slams home!
    I’m on Happygolucky too but only 18s, a massive £3!

Not a massive drop in price but I took 13/2 for Paisley Park, 3/1 now and I think it will beat Thyme Hill. 

• Options
    Shishkin and envoi Allen to win any race 10/1
    Shishkin any race at 6/1 

out of the faves who do you see getting beat - this year there are 7 even or better faves last year was same as only 1 won ( envoi Allen ) 
  • Options
    Nice one @PaddyP17
    One AP bet for the Festival for me - The Storyteller at 20s e/w in the Stayers Hurdle (now 12s).