Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread: Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 06 Feb 2021| 3pm

Comments

• So we are playing a diamond with no width when we have two huge strikers who thrive off crosses... come on Lee pls use brain.
    Or he's playing Shinnie and Millar on the flanks in a flat 4-4-2 the same way we faced Milton Keynes
    Just play Jayesimi then. Then drop Pratley and have Shinnie and JFC in the centre. 
    I imagine he will when Jaiyesimi is up to speed once he gets used to his new team mates
  • Useless fecking manager. 

Bring in players & then don't start them. Smith must be scratching his head  & wondering why he has done. Started virtually every game for Swindon & now gone 2 games starting in the bench.Might as well just loan them back to Swindon. 

Really glad I didn't part with my tenner to watch it on VP. Only wanted to see DJ play....
    Yeah he's gone from starting for a team that is in a relegation scrap to one fighting further up the table...

Or do you think our squad is as bad as Swindon's
    The way a section of fans see it, 'the wage cap', 'rebuilding the squad', 'the last few years' - we apparently do. 
  • Leuth said:
    Ah, so Maatsen WAS the scapegoat! Excellent stuff Lee, maybe Chelsea will quietly ditch us as a loan club now
    If you look at comments after last match fans were calling for Purrington over Maatsen.

Bring in players & then don't start them. Smith must be scratching his head  & wondering why he has done. Started virtually every game for Swindon & now gone 2 games starting in the bench.Might as well just loan them back to Swindon. 

Really glad I didn't part with my tenner to watch it on VP. Only wanted to see DJ play....
    Yeah he's gone from starting for a team that is in a relegation scrap to one fighting further up the table...

Or do you think our squad is as bad as Swindon's, two games against them it might be but not over the season so far
    You must do, you were quite insistant that a Desmond was a good result :wink:

Bollocks you edited it as I was typing 
  • Jfc was poor last outing, should have been giving smith a try, and Pearce fills me with utter dread!!. Hope to be proven wrong obviously. But tinkering again= no consistency, no team formation and passage of play being built. Hope the 3 departments of our squad manage to try and play as a team.
  • I forsee 45 mins of quite turgid football, with changes necessary at half time. If I'm right, I can say 'I knew it.' If I'm wrong, it's all been a masterful reverse jinx and you're welcome.
  • We’ve never not conceded this season when Pearce has started....
  • On paper that team should wipe the floor with Rochdale. But then I think that most weeks...
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    Jfc was poor last outing, should have been giving smith a try, and Pearce fills me with utter dread!!. Hope to be proven wrong obviously. But tinkering again= no consistency, no team formation and passage of play being built. Hope the 3 departments of our squad manage to try and play as a team.
    JFC is a wasted spot imo, we need a box to box type in his place.
  • redbuttle said:
    Leuth said:
    Ah, so Maatsen WAS the scapegoat! Excellent stuff Lee, maybe Chelsea will quietly ditch us as a loan club now
    If you look at comments after last match fans were calling for Purrington over Maatsen.
    Glad you pointed it out. Everyone said Purington deserves a start after he played and Maatsen not playing too well last week. 

Good time or have competition for a position. So fingers crossed it goes well
  • I really hope we are not going to witness 20 minutes of aimless passing and squandering possession followed by slightly desperate punting in the general direction of Stockley and Chuks.
    Lets see some purpose and guile and quick tempo movement
  • Thought it was tough on Purrington not to be involved last week after his prior performance.
    Maatsans performance v Pompey certainly didn't justify the decision. I thought he was poor.
  • redbuttle said:
    Leuth said:
    Yes - comments based on a combination of 'as good as your last game' and 'better when not in the team' - Maatsen is obviously far better a player in just about every regard
  • Tinker tinker tinker........can’t resist it can he?
    Would you seriously play the same 11 twice a week? For how long before they pull up injured?

Tell me why you wouldn't rotate the squad in this league 
  • Tinker, Tinker, Tinker

i hope I am wrong but this set up doesn’t look right to me.

Why get the two Swindon lads in if your going to start them.
    Our current players have hardly set the world alight in their recent games.

Unless I am mistaken more grief heading Bowyers way at 5.00pm
  • Other teams start their new signings straight away. Ours always seem to start on the bench.
    Better to drain them completely of confidence before setting them loose on the opposition.
  • Really disappointed not to see Jaiyesimi start. He's match fit. We desperately need some positivity injected into the side - we know we need to score first too.
    he will come on at half time when we are chasing the game........again
  • I think box to box is less important if you get the ball forwards more quickly and cut out the number of passes. What would be troubling is if we carry on playing the same way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyway it's not the dropping of Maatsen I'm taking issue with so much as not even having him on the bench. Presumably we need all 3 central midfielders and Matthews can do a job at left-back if required
  • Wasn't going to buy the game but at around 1 I changed my mind. Still haven't bought it yet and after seeing that line up I'm wavering.
  • paulfox said:
    Jfc was poor last outing, should have been giving smith a try, and Pearce fills me with utter dread!!. Hope to be proven wrong obviously. But tinkering again= no consistency, no team formation and passage of play being built. Hope the 3 departments of our squad manage to try and play as a team.
    Smith isn't a box to box type.  They don't exist.  Bowyer talked about it in the "disappearing quotes" in the article announcing Smith.  He was spot on as well. 

Maybe @Ollywozere could shed some light as to what happened to those quotes? 
  • It's the team I was hoping for, taking into account the ex Swindon lads were unlikely to start.
    I prefer Pearce at CB to Gunter.
    I prefer Purrington at LB to Maatsen.
    Pratley needs to play as it's raining ad heavy going.
    Aneke & Stockley up front look better than Schwartz.
  • We’ve never not conceded this season when Pearce has started....
    That's done it...
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Smith isn't a box to box type.  They don't exist.  Bowyer talked about it in the "disappearing quotes" in the article announcing Smith.  He was spot on as well. 

Maybe @Ollywozere could shed some light as to what happened to those quotes? 
     They do at Rangers!

Or do you think our squad is as bad as Swindon's, two games against them it might be but not over the season so far
    Blimey, didn't take the apologists long to reply.

Its got nothing to do with League placings. I could (sort of) understand it if it was Sorba Thomas but both players have been playing in this league, against the same opposition. 

Wondering if its Bowyers way of sticking 2 fingers up to TS. 
  • Leuth said:
    Anyway it's not the dropping of Maatsen I'm taking issue with so much as not even having him on the bench. Presumably we need all 3 central midfielders and Matthews can do a job at left-back if required
    Its why I feel there is more to it than being a scapegoat, if Bowyer just wanted to replace him I'd have expected him to be on the bench at the very least
  • edited February 2021
    Leuth said:
    Anyway it's not the dropping of Maatsen I'm taking issue with so much as not even having him on the bench. Presumably we need all 3 central midfielders and Matthews can do a job at left-back if required
    God knows why you need 3 center mids on the bench.  Surely one of those places could have gone to an u23 center half or striker for the experience if nothing else? 
  • I am happy enough to see Aneke and Stockley start as in my opinion they are probably the two best strikers at the club.

I just hope that Bowyer continues to start the upfront together form here on out and let them build a partnership and understanding. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!