Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swindon Town on Brink of Collapse: Lee Power

Comments

• Lots of moans about the wage cap again. 

I've said it before but I'll say again if the club is really that vexed about the cap, and clubs won't vote to change it, they should take it to the courts. On the face of it, the cap is a clear restraint of trade. 

My sentiments exactly.  Upper limits in pay are not fixed by an industry controller anywhere else as far as I am aware , but by the employer. 
    I’m unsure why the PFA haven’t yet challenged it in the courts. They represent their members and their is a clear restraint of trade. Why do the players pay their subs otherwise?
  • Lots said about only one vote in it re the L1 salary cap. Not correct acc to this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/07/league-one-and-league-two-clubs-pass-vote-to-bring-in-salary-cap

I think the one vote may have been because a bigger than 50% majority was required.
    Well they got that with 16 votes didn’t they?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Was the vote for the cap secret or is there a list of for and against?
    I don't think there is a list but most clubs were quite vocal about it at the time.

It's pretty clear, from a quick Google, that clubs who's wage bill was less than the cap think it's a brilliant idea and those who's is/was higher don't agree.

Reason #3864 the wage cap is stupid.  Next season (assuming we are still in league 1 and the wage cap increases). 

Next season Albie Morgan will count, and count as the league average, or less (no idea what he is on but I doubt its much).  Say a Lincoln, possibly the smallest club in the championship fancy him, and make it known they will pay him 5k a week in January. We can't give him a pay rise, because of the cap.

How is that right?  How is that fair?  I wonder if Accrington Stanley will be so keen on it when St Mirran and Motherwell start tapping their players up for 3k a week. 

I agree with you. Have you ever been accepted on Mastermind?
  • edited February 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't think there is a list but most clubs were quite vocal about it at the time.

It's pretty clear, from a quick Google, that clubs who's wage bill was less than the cap think it's a brilliant idea and those who's is/was higher don't agree.

Reason #3864 the wage cap is stupid.  Next season (assuming we are still in league 1 and the wage cap increases). 

Next season Albie Morgan will count, and count as the league average, or less (no idea what he is on but I doubt its much).  Say a Lincoln, possibly the smallest club in the championship fancy him, and make it known they will pay him 5k a week in January. We can't give him a pay rise, because of the cap.

How is that right?  How is that fair?  I wonder if Accrington Stanley will be so keen on it when St Mirran and Motherwell start tapping their players up for 3k a week. 

Piss off and troll someone else.

Or actually watch the club you claim to support! 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

The language is not called for.
    140+ grounds, 7 different countries.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What do want a medal? 
  • Lads, give it a rest eh?
  • edited February 2021
    aliwibble said:
    Lads, give it a rest eh?
    No because if someone wants to tell me everything is wonderful, but hasn't seen the team play since Derek Hales hung up his boots or thinks I want Charlton to ever not win to prove some petty little point, I think I have right to to say he is wrong. 

How dare anyone suggest I or anyone else wants us to not win to prove some silly point?

We want to be wrong, we ALL want to be promoted.  Today could be the first step on that road.  To deliberately call "the boo boys" out, after that, who is the troll?
  • aliwibble said:
    Yep, you've got the right to say he's wrong. Bickering over multiple threads as the two of you have been doing tonight (plus the random smattering of name-calling) is tedious for everybody else and doesn't make either of you look good. Be the bigger man (no Elfsborg that wasn't a dig) and just let it go.
    My final word.

I was not the one being abusive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems like football is awash with chancers these days. So many clubs have had and are having massive problems with shady characters. How long will it be before a famous name (apologies to Bury) goes pop ? I’d imagine that the pandemic has crippled even some of the well run clubs. Next year or so will be interesting.
  • I don't want them to go bust but had we not paid them the DJ money and they went bust, we have dropped four points against them this season!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What do want a medal? 
    Why not... he obviously  watches football all over. 

Hope he hasn't included the home countries though !
    He has been to 4 countries to watch Biggleswade Town. 
  • BARRY OWED MONEY AFTER BOTCHED SWINDON DEAL 

Gareth Barry and his agent Michael Standing are owed over £3.7m in repayments after a botched deal to buy 50 per cent of Swindon Town that has ended up in the High Court. 

Standing and Swindon's chairman Lee Power are involved in a dispute over an oral contract for the pair to buy a stake in the club in a series of payments, which began with an £800,000 investment in March 2013 and eventually totalled just over £6m, £2.3m of which has been repaid. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9454729/AHEAD-GAME-Premier-League-Championship-clash-extended-summer-transfer-window.html

• This is out of date now, but David Squires' take on the Swindon mess is too good not to share...
  • Sponsored links:

• Awful reading in that Guardian article.
    Can still remember their brief spell in the top flight with Hoddle player manager and Fjortoft, Hazard, Moncur and Summerbee.
    Hopefull the guy approved by the EFL can sort them out. 
  • EFL statement: Swindon Town

In June 2021, Swindon Town Football Club, when under previous ownership, failed to pay their Players as per the contractual agreement and were charged under EFL Regulations.

The Regulations permit the EFL to enter into Agreed Decisions with Clubs in order to settle disciplinary matters without them being referred to a commission for determination. 

Upon consideration the Board determined that it would be appropriate to do so in these circumstances and offered the Club the following sanction, which was subsequently agreed
     A suspended three points deduction to be immediately activated in the event that the Club breaches Regulation 63.7 on or before 30 June 2022.

An EFL Spokesperson said: “Whilst this decision relates to a period when the Club was under different ownership, the EFL has a responsibility to treat all cases of misconduct equally and has taken the appropriate course of action in line with its Regulations. 

“The EFL is continuing its investigations relating to matters involving the previous ownership of the Club. Moving forwards the League is looking forward to working with Mr Morfuni and the new management team as they seek to ensure a successful and viable long-term future for the Club.” 
    https://www.efl.com/news/2021/september/efl-statement-swindon-town/
  • Not enough benefactor owners exist for the clubs that need them. Grim future, me thinks, for many.
  • edited September 2021
    clive said:

EFL statement: Swindon Town

In June 2021, Swindon Town Football Club, when under previous ownership, failed to pay their Players as per the contractual agreement and were charged under EFL Regulations.

The Regulations permit the EFL to enter into Agreed Decisions with Clubs in order to settle disciplinary matters without them being referred to a commission for determination. 

Upon consideration the Board determined that it would be appropriate to do so in these circumstances and offered the Club the following sanction, which was subsequently agreed
     A suspended three points deduction to be immediately activated in the event that the Club breaches Regulation 63.7 on or before 30 June 2022.

An EFL Spokesperson said: “Whilst this decision relates to a period when the Club was under different ownership, the EFL has a responsibility to treat all cases of misconduct equally and has taken the appropriate course of action in line with its Regulations. 

“The EFL is continuing its investigations relating to matters involving the previous ownership of the Club. Moving forwards the League is looking forward to working with Mr Morfuni and the new management team as they seek to ensure a successful and viable long-term future for the Club.” 
    I'm sure a few bigger clubs have failed to pay players in the past but I dont recall them ever having a suspended 3 point deduction. Sheff W come to mind.....
  • Fortunately the punishment is suspended, as the new owners seem decent and shouldn't be punished for the failings of their predecessor

• clive said:

EFL statement: Swindon Town

I'm sure a few bigger clubs have failed to pay players in the past but I dont recall them ever having a suspended 3 point deduction. Sheff W come to mind.....
    Sheffield Wednesday currently have a 6 point suspended deduction for not paying players on time, Derby have a 3 point suspended deduction for the same reason
  • Gareth Barry has been charged with breaching FA ownership regulations over an alleged £800,000 investment in Swindon Town in 2013.

The former England midfielder, 40, has previously denied being an investor in the League Two club.

A High Court judgement involving former Robins chairman Lee Power first revealed the allegation in May 2020.

Barry has until 1 December to respond to two alleged breaches of regulations around working with intermediaries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59309251

• Sounds like another club along with Derby and Reading getting a points deduction.
  • More deductions then my payslip right now....