Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 06 Feb | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• I favour a 4-4-2 as with the new players in as it is a system that everyone understands, and their role within it.

I would drop Maatsen for Purrington as he is defensively more aware. 

Amos
    Mathews Gunter Oshi Purrington 

DJ   Smith JFC Millar

Stockley Schwartz 
  • edited February 2021
    I think I’d rather see Pratley at centre back and Gunter out wide rather than Matthews again.

I’d also like to see the bright enthusiasm of youngsters Millar, Smith and Jaiyesimi in midfield alongside the older head that still has an engine on him (Shinnie). 

Keep getting minutes into the partnership of Stockley and Schwartz. Once they get a proper understanding, they’ll be lethal together.

———————Amos

Gunter - Pratley - Oshilaja - Purrington

—Jaiyesimi - Smith - Shinnie - Millar

————Schwartz - Stockley
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Gunter at CB has conceded the least out of everyone but Inniss, Famewo and ahem Purrington (1 game as part of a 3)

Hate to prove Bowyer's meddling right, but Gunter & Pratley have been our most consistent partnership since Inniss & Famewo have been out. 

Burton aside, they were actually fairly solid in the other 3 conceding just 1 goal each in 2 of the 3 games. 

The pairing to avoid like the plague is Pearce & Pratley. 

PartnershipPlayed Conceded CPG
    Inniss & Famewo400.00
    Oshilaja & Gunter451.25
    Pratley & Gunter461.50
    Pratley & Pearce
    Oshilaja & Pratley381.67
    Pratley, Famewo & Purrington100.00
    Gunter & Famewo100.00
    Pearce & Famewo111.00
    Oshilaja & Famewo122.00
    Pratley & Inniss122.00
    Oshilaja, Gunter & Pearce122.00
    Oshilaja & Pearce144.00
    Its Oshilaja and Pratley at 8 in 3 games. You CPG should be 2.67 not 1.67 mate.
  • There has been an incredible amount of rain up here in Yorkshire through the night. I really do hope today is not rained off again. 
  • Weather prediction for Rochdale. 

• Decent pitch, decent result

Up the Addicks 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Weather prediction for Rochdale. 

Fingers crossed. Was gutted last week when ours was called off late. 

It’s a shame as this would have been a local away day out for me. 30 minute train towards Manchester and then head to the big Spoons for breakfast. 

Then onto a few pubs for some decent ale. 
  • edited February 2021
    Let’s call it off, 90 minutes of Minto, Curbishley and Nelson sounds a lot more stress-free and relaxing for a Saturday afternoon!
  • Will be massively disappointing to be called off and no football again on a Saturday but I guess we have played more games than all those around us and it will give Famewo more time. However could be rescheduled soon like the Pompey game. Hope it goes ahead today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Feeling positive about this one. Reckon we do them 4 - 2. Ronnie scores a brace, Millar and one other.
  • Like us Rochdale have a few new players in and I think we'll find rather a different style from them, don't expect another open game, this will be tight, as we always concede I'm going for 1-2
  • amos 

matthews
    gunter
    oshalaja
    purrington

jayesimi
    shinnie
    jfc
    millar

chucks
    stockley

all guns blazing, let jfc anchor the midfield and let everybody else go on the rampage - nothing to lose 
  • Because of the weather forecast I’ve yet to buy the valley pass steam for this one so fully expect the game to be called off once I make the purchase 
  • i only ever buy it an hour before ko - why buy it before that? 
  • I'm really looking forward to seeing the seating lineup today. It will be very interesting now we have so many different options in midfield and upfront. Like most I hope we go all out attack but we will see. The one player that most seem to have as a starter in their teams is JFC. I wouldnt start him today ahead of smith. I think he has been poor lately
  • I’d like to see Purrington back in to stiffen our wobbly defence and, after Tuesday, I think Pearce for Gunter might be worth considering. That would also enable Deji to play on the right side. Gunter could use a rest, in my view.

I am pretty sure that Pratley will start on a heavy pitch. I’d like to see Smith and Shinnie alongside him to introduce some tempo and forward passing through the lines, although Bowyer will be reluctant to omit JFC.

Millar on the wing and Aneke up top with Stockley, with DJ on for Chuks in the later stages. Rochdale have a particular weakness at left back, although if DJ starts the game, I’d be a bit concerned about long balls being pumped up to Stockley and no one getting close enough to him for the second ball.

The fact that we’re odds on to win this game only adds to my sense of foreboding but you never know, the team may surprise us.
  • i think he was poor last time out and was going to pick smith and shinnie but they both want to attack so looked at jfc as the better option when compared to pratley or watson - i really don't want to see pratley in the starting line up coz he can't play football and i don't want to see watson coz we can't afford to have a plodder who just sits and does nothing else, albeit he is a much better passer than pratley - i see jfc as being the better of the 3 options for that role - smith can come on for one of the 3 attacking midfielders later and schwartz probably for aneke and maatsen for one of the 3 to maintain the pace threat out wide if anybody is flagging 
  • At some point it will all click for us. Depends what team and formation Bowyer plays. I’m going for 4-1, Ronnie with a double to show us that he’s a baller 
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    i only ever buy it an hour before ko - why buy it before that? 
     - Use my CAFC Cash so have to buy long before the game
     - Dont care what the team is, almost didnt have a Charlton, never going to be a fair weather supporter based on a line up
     - Even if the game gets called off the re-arranged game is sorted because I dont bother getting a refund
    ok - i've just left my cafc cash in the pot, happy to give it to the club or use it at a later date 
  • 2-0 defeat. DJ at centre back just won’t work. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i only ever buy it an hour before ko - why buy it before that? 
     - Use my CAFC Cash so have to buy long before the game
     - Dont care what the team is, almost didnt have a Charlton, never going to be a fair weather supporter based on a line up
     - Even if the game gets called off the re-arranged game is sorted because I dont bother getting a refund
    ok - i've just left my cafc cash in the pot, happy to give it to the club or use it at a later date 
    Nah thats understandable, completely understand those not wanting to pay the £1.50 each game
  • Just know Bowyer will be more cautious and leave both DJ and Smith on the bench, and at least one of Pratley or Watson will start, maybe even both.

Hope for 4-4-2 if that happens, if 4-5-1 it needs to be with Millar and DJ on the wings, not Morgan or someone else out of position.

Don’t know what to expect other than plenty of goals and both teams to score.
  • Scoham said:
    Just know Bowyer will be more cautious and leave both DJ and Smith on the bench, and at least one of Pratley or Watson will start, maybe even both.

Hope for 4-4-2 if that happens, if 4-5-1 it needs to be with Millar and DJ on the wings, not Morgan or someone else out of position.

It’s time for Bowyer to stop piss balling about. He’s bought Smith and DJ to give us more of a cutting edge. defensively we are shocking so personally think we just have to go with the attitude “if they score 2, we will score 3”. 
  • I think Bowyer will keep it simple today, no real surprises with the lineup.

As long as we're not losing by half time, I think we'll win today.
  • edited February 2021
    Here is a bit of "cheer" for Charlton fans if you want to lump on a home win

Rochdale's wins at home this season... A...BIG...FAT...ONE!! - Although dont lose much at home either

• I was talking to my friend who supports AFC Wimbledon today.  I mentioned how frustrating this season has been so far and they’re on an awful run with 2 pts out of 36.  He was asking me how we set up the other night as he couldn’t work it out looking at the defence (3 full backs and one CB).  I explained Gunter has been covering at CB alongside Oshilaja at the moment.  

He was asking me why I felt we have been so poor when I said it’s 5 wins in 15 games which he said, quite rightly, is mid table form.  I talked about the soft goals we’ve conceded, but I think chopping and changing has a lot to do with it.  We talked about how difficult it is for a team to win if they don’t have a settled side/identity.  I really think that’s impacted our season, because I do feel that we try a lot of combinations, all with little effect.  

The other thing he asked was how have the performances been in general.  It’s just my opinion, but I don’t think of those 5 wins in 15 games, there’s been hand on heart, a good performance.  Wimbledon was one of those games, and it was more a convincing 30 minutes, and we agreed that the last 10-15 of those, AFC had capitulated.  After that I think we beat Ipswich, I think we caught them in a poor run.  The wins against MK Dons and Bristol Rovers for me were ones we deserved, but I wouldn’t call them convincing performances.  I can’t even remember the other win out the 5, that’s how memorable it was :-:smile:

the only reason I mention this, is that someone mentioned earlier about a convincing performance.  We are absolutely at the stage of the season given how mediocre we’ve been that we need a convincing performance today.  Limping to a 1-0 or a 2-1 win isn’t going to be enough to instill confidence for me 
  • Scoham said:
    Just know Bowyer will be more cautious and leave both DJ and Smith on the bench, and at least one of Pratley or Watson will start, maybe even both.

Yes I agree I think LB will stick to his defensive mode and we wont see him starting an attacking option. However how he will explain why we signed more attacking players that can provide a bit of pace and cutting edge but not start them will be interesting! I would love to see Miller, DJ, Smith and Swartz all start but I doubt they will
  • cs1986 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Gunter at CB has conceded the least out of everyone but Inniss, Famewo and ahem Purrington (1 game as part of a 3)

Hate to prove Bowyer's meddling right, but Gunter & Pratley have been our most consistent partnership since Inniss & Famewo have been out. 

Burton aside, they were actually fairly solid in the other 3 conceding just 1 goal each in 2 of the 3 games. 

The pairing to avoid like the plague is Pearce & Pratley. 

PartnershipPlayed Conceded CPG
    Inniss & Famewo400.00
    Oshilaja & Gunter451.25
    Pratley & Gunter461.50
    Pratley & Pearce
    Oshilaja & Pratley381.67
    Pratley, Famewo & Purrington100.00
    Gunter & Famewo100.00
    Pearce & Famewo111.00
    Oshilaja & Famewo122.00
    Pratley & Inniss122.00
    Oshilaja, Gunter & Pearce122.00
    Oshilaja & Pearce144.00
    Its Oshilaja and Pratley at 8 in 3 games. You CPG should be 2.67 not 1.67 mate.
    It's right on my spready. 5 in 3.