Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2021

Comments

• Options
    Jordan Cox studies the ball out of Murtagh's hand and all the way on to his off peg without making any attempt whatsoever to play it

7-1 
  • Options
    Wonder how often the combined age of two players in a CC game has surpassed that of Murtagh and Stevens - 85 
  • Options
    39-2

Crawley out for 20 to Ethan Bamber, son of the actor David
  • Options
    39-2

Crawley out for 20 to Ethan Bamber, son of the actor David
    Caught behind by John Simpson, the BBC Foreign Correspondent
  • Options
    57-3

DBD LBW Old Man Murtagh 20
  • Options
    Leaning out for 27

82-4
  • Options
    Leaning out for 27

82-4
    That was unlucky.

Sometimes you just have to tuck your bat under your arm and trudge off the pitch saying "bugger, I wasn't quite good enough to get a touch on that".
  • Options
    Leaning out for 27

82-4
    That was unlucky.

Sometimes you just have to tuck your bat under your arm and trudge off the pitch saying "bugger, I wasn't quite good enough to get a touch on that".
    Yep it was a very good ball
  • Options
    82-4 at close

Robinson 11* (43)
    Milnes 0* (6)

Really not sure who is in front at the moment but would take, nevertheless, our situation given that they were 121-2
  • Options
    I genuinely hope Kent can keep Denly around in some capacity. I could see him transferring to a white ball only contract.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the challenges he faced in his later career. Having produced a range of top class performances he earned the right to another crack at international cricket but was completely mishandled by England who tried to turn a fluent attractive stroke player into a modern day version of Tavare.

As to Kents position on Denly I suggest much will depend on whether Heino Kuhn is to stay and whether the finances will run to another overseas player.

I had a lot of time of young Mr Northeast but in his latter years his demeanour did everything to send the message we were holding him back. My expectation is he will still believe there are better opportunities out there. For someone who David English described as one of the most outstanding young talents ever seen at Bunbury he must be bewildered as to just quite his planned England career went. 

In terms of looking around Robinson deserves a chance to secure a settled spot. He is an excellent keeper and a good batsmen.

As an aside another nice reflection on our success and the state of cricket today

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/sep/21/kents-blast-triumph-a-rare-authentic-moment-in-an-endless-sprawl-of-cricket
    Kuhn won't be staying. He qualifies as an overseas player, hasn't produced enough to warrant filling one of those roles and he's 37 now anyway. His calf injury, by all accounts, hasn't been good either.

Agree that Robinson deserves to move up the order. Like a lot of keepers his opportunities to take a prominent position in the order has been stifled by having that second discipline. It shouldn't but it does. Even without Denly or Kuhn we still have Crawley, Cox, Leaning, Billings, Muyeye (playing today), DBD and Robinson so one of those has to miss out when everyone is available. That's not to say that Northeast wouldn't be a very good recruit to bolster our numbers but can't see him being signed if Denly is going to fulfil his contract.

The bowling attack more or less sorts itself though one more player will be signed in the course of the next few weeks. 
    I see you mention we are signing another bowler, are we going down the route of it being someone with potential or an experienced pro ? Really confused with the signing of Quinn though, four year contract seemed a tad too long. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NZ are touring yet again next summer, which realistically rules out bringing Matt Henry back
  • Options
    As an aside, looks like the Chelmsford pitch was a bit of a road.....

ESSEX BEAT NORTHANTS BY AN INNINGS & 44 RUNS

Essex 170, Northants 81 and 45

• Options
    90-5

The actor's son sends Robinson's stumps in different directions!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Proctor made a Bradmanesque 24 out of that 45, with nobody else getting into double figures!
  • Options
    Kent 112-6
    Milnes gone

• Options
    Stevens in at 8 to knock it around for a 70 ball ton
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

A new record!

• Options
    I genuinely hope Kent can keep Denly around in some capacity. I could see him transferring to a white ball only contract.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the challenges he faced in his later career. Having produced a range of top class performances he earned the right to another crack at international cricket but was completely mishandled by England who tried to turn a fluent attractive stroke player into a modern day version of Tavare.

As to Kents position on Denly I suggest much will depend on whether Heino Kuhn is to stay and whether the finances will run to another overseas player.

I had a lot of time of young Mr Northeast but in his latter years his demeanour did everything to send the message we were holding him back. My expectation is he will still believe there are better opportunities out there. For someone who David English described as one of the most outstanding young talents ever seen at Bunbury he must be bewildered as to just quite his planned England career went. 

In terms of looking around Robinson deserves a chance to secure a settled spot. He is an excellent keeper and a good batsmen.

As an aside another nice reflection on our success and the state of cricket today

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/sep/21/kents-blast-triumph-a-rare-authentic-moment-in-an-endless-sprawl-of-cricket
    Kuhn won't be staying. He qualifies as an overseas player, hasn't produced enough to warrant filling one of those roles and he's 37 now anyway. His calf injury, by all accounts, hasn't been good either.

Agree that Robinson deserves to move up the order. Like a lot of keepers his opportunities to take a prominent position in the order has been stifled by having that second discipline. It shouldn't but it does. Even without Denly or Kuhn we still have Crawley, Cox, Leaning, Billings, Muyeye (playing today), DBD and Robinson so one of those has to miss out when everyone is available. That's not to say that Northeast wouldn't be a very good recruit to bolster our numbers but can't see him being signed if Denly is going to fulfil his contract.

The bowling attack more or less sorts itself though one more player will be signed in the course of the next few weeks. 
    I see you mention we are signing another bowler, are we going down the route of it being someone with potential or an experienced pro ? Really confused with the signing of Quinn though, four year contract seemed a tad too long. 
    Quinn is a good CC bowler but has had a few injuries. Even so, it's difficult to argue with 18 wickets at 22.94 especially when the overseas has 6 at 101.00! The bowler I mentioned has now signed and I would imagine that the County will make the announcement in the next few days. It is a signing more for the future rather than someone who is likely to walk into the team as a permanent fixture next season. This is a definite signing rather than an announcement from Denly that he is retiring which, once again, I should reiterate is just a rumour.
  • Options
    Can we eke out a lead ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can we eke out a lead ?

When one sees that question being posed and we are talking about passing 147 and then you see that Essex and Northants couldn't average 100 in three completed innings, do people really still struggle to see why we aren't producing red ball batsmen. I know one person in particular has stated that they couldn't care less about the County Championship but unless you play games when batsmen have a chance of making big scores you end up with ones that aren't good enough to play Test cricket. Which is clearly what the ECB want because they decide that most of the games are played in April, May and September.
    It's still disappointing as the weather is pretty decent. It's sunny and quite pleasant outside

Glamorgan are 435-5 at the moment at the Oval, Derbyshire 438-7 at Hove
  • Options
    130-9

O'Riordan and Stewart out

Muyeye 22*
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Proctor made a Bradmanesque 24 out of that 45, with nobody else getting into double figures!
    I would like to think the ECB pitch inspectors will be paying them a visit. Most games there this season have ended with ridiculous fiest Innings scores. Mainly by the opposition When batting first. 
    I have no doubt if it was one of our County grounds the ECB would be there in a flash and deducting points ( suspended until we return to a two division format).
    I have a mate who’s a member he’s fuming as he wants to be able to watch decent cricket and hasn’t been able to. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can we eke out a lead ?

When one sees that question being posed and we are talking about passing 147 and then you see that Essex and Northants couldn't average 100 in three completed innings, do people really still struggle to see why we aren't producing red ball batsmen. I know one person in particular has stated that they couldn't care less about the County Championship but unless you play games when batsmen have a chance of making big scores you end up with ones that aren't good enough to play Test cricket. Which is clearly what the ECB want because they decide that most of the games are played in April, May and September.
    It's still disappointing as the weather is pretty decent. It's sunny and quite pleasant outside

Glamorgan are 435-5 at the moment at the Oval, Derbyshire 438-7 at Hove
    The Oval is, typically, a road. And the Sussex bowling attack is the same youthful one (aged 17, 19, 19, 20, 20 and 22 have bowled all bar 4 o the overs) that was taken for over 600 the other week. When Stevens (45) and Murtagh (40) are bowling at 70mph and getting something out of these tracks there is something seriously wrong. It might not be the overhead conditions but as much the quality of the pitches prevalent at a lot of the county grounds

• Options
    138 all out 

Muyeye top scored with 30
  • Options

Quinn is a good CC bowler but has had a few injuries. Even so, it's difficult to argue with 18 wickets at 22.94 especially when the overseas has 6 at 101.00! The bowler I mentioned has now signed and I would imagine that the County will make the announcement in the next few days. It is a signing more for the future rather than someone who is likely to walk into the team as a permanent fixture next season. This is a definite signing rather than an announcement from Denly that he is retiring which, once again, I should reiterate is just a rumour.
    I agree about Quinn. He has skills to offer in red and white ball. Though Groenewald had a very good career he offered us very little on the field. Quinn offers good competition and support. He has very decent career numbers.

Are you able to reference whether the new acquisition may be a recent debutant or an external recruit?
  • Options
    Completed innings in this round

Essex 170
    North 81
    North 45
    Glos 218
    Durham 140
    Kent 138
    Middx 147
    Hants 143
    Notts 296
    warks 367
    Leics 222
    Average 178.81 per innings

innings still in progress
    Lancs 93/7
    York 51/6
    Glam 456/5
    derby 465/9
    Somerset 25/0
    worcs 120/1

• Options
    Middx taking this piss and rushed to 17-0
  • Options

I agree about Quinn. He has skills to offer in red and white ball. Though Groenewald had a very good career he offered us very little on the field. Quinn offers good competition and support. He has very decent career numbers.

Are you able to reference whether the new acquisition may be a recent debutant or an external recruit?
    I'd rather not narrow it down too much as I've probably said too much already. He has a Wiki entry contains a reference which is complete and utter rubbish!!!! That's all I'm going to say on the subject for now.