Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Kent get £175,000

MOM (Cox presumably) in the final will get £2,500
    Do the club receive that prize money or is it being shared with the squad ? 
  • Options
    Kent get £175,000

MOM (Cox presumably) in the final will get £2,500
    Do the club receive that prize money or is it being shared with the squad ? 
    The players don't get the money unless the County Board decide to give them some by way of a bonus. Apart from MOM awards of course. It will help the general finances of course 
  • Options
    No Billings, Denly, Qais or Klaassen from the Blast winning side in the squad for the CC game against Middlesex starting tomorrow:

• Options
    Billings will be off to the IPL
    Denly is out of form
    Qais and Klassen are white ball bowlers
  • Options
    There are rumours that Denly is about to announce his retirement. On the one hand, given that he only signed a new contract at the beginning of the season to the end of 2023, that would be a surprise but, on the other, with his loss of form this season, he might just have had enough. He will be 36 by the start of next season and not everyone wants to play forever like Stevens especially if it's becoming more and more of a struggle to perform. 

The rumour might be totally wrong but the fact that he isn't playing tomorrow would also mean that his last match in a Kent shirt will be as a winner. And given that he made such a significant contribution in taking the significant wickets of Banton, Smead and Lammonby he can feel that he contributed in a meaningful way to one of the greatest nights in our history.
  • Options
    There are rumours that Denly is about to announce his retirement. On the one hand, given that he only signed a new contract at the beginning of the season to the end of 2023, that would be a surprise but, on the other, with his loss of form this season, he might just have had enough. He will be 36 by the start of next season and not everyone wants to play forever like Stevens especially if it's becoming more and more of a struggle to perform. 

The rumour might be totally wrong but the fact that he isn't playing tomorrow would also mean that his last match in a Kent shirt will be as a winner. And given that he made such a significant contribution in taking the significant wickets of Banton, Smead and Lammonby he can feel that he contributed in a meaningful way to one of the greatest nights in our history.
    He'll leave a big hole, especially in our white ball team with his bowling

His batting has been poor though, maybe he feels he's turned a corner 
  • Options
    As sad it is to hear the news regarding Denly, think that’s the right call to make. Heard he has some private issues going on hence why he missed a few games during the season but that shot he played in the final, pretty much summed up his season. 

We are looking very light in the batting department for next season with regards to four day cricket… Hope they are actively looking for what is out there at the minute, personally feel we definitely need a number 3-4. 

Sam northeast anyone ? 
  • Options
    As sad it is to hear the news regarding Denly, think that’s the right call to make. Heard he has some private issues going on hence why he missed a few games during the season but that shot he played in the final, pretty much summed up his season. 

We are looking very light in the batting department for next season with regards to four day cricket… Hope they are actively looking for what is out there at the minute, personally feel we definitely need a number 3-4. 

Sam northeast anyone ? 
    As I say I haven't seen anything concrete to that effect. Let's not forget a rumour was put round before the start of the season the he was going to Surrey - within 24 hours he signed a new 3 year contract!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I genuinely hope Kent can keep Denly around in some capacity. I could see him transferring to a white ball only contract.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the challenges he faced in his later career. Having produced a range of top class performances he earned the right to another crack at international cricket but was completely mishandled by England who tried to turn a fluent attractive stroke player into a modern day version of Tavare.

As to Kents position on Denly I suggest much will depend on whether Heino Kuhn is to stay and whether the finances will run to another overseas player.

I had a lot of time of young Mr Northeast but in his latter years his demeanour did everything to send the message we were holding him back. My expectation is he will still believe there are better opportunities out there. For someone who David English described as one of the most outstanding young talents ever seen at Bunbury he must be bewildered as to just quite his planned England career went. 

In terms of looking around Robinson deserves a chance to secure a settled spot. He is an excellent keeper and a good batsmen.

As an aside another nice reflection on our success and the state of cricket today

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/sep/21/kents-blast-triumph-a-rare-authentic-moment-in-an-endless-sprawl-of-cricket
    Kuhn won't be staying. He qualifies as an overseas player, hasn't produced enough to warrant filling one of those roles and he's 37 now anyway. His calf injury, by all accounts, hasn't been good either.

Agree that Robinson deserves to move up the order. Like a lot of keepers his opportunities to take a prominent position in the order has been stifled by having that second discipline. It shouldn't but it does. Even without Denly or Kuhn we still have Crawley, Cox, Leaning, Billings, Muyeye (playing today), DBD and Robinson so one of those has to miss out when everyone is available. That's not to say that Northeast wouldn't be a very good recruit to bolster our numbers but can't see him being signed if Denly is going to fulfil his contract.

The bowling attack more or less sorts itself though one more player will be signed in the course of the next few weeks. 
  • Options
    Middx put in by us are 42-1 off 18 

Wicket to Gilchrist. Left out Podmore, Quinn and surprisingly Logan and played O'Riordan instead
  • Options

Wicket to Gilchrist. Left out Podmore, Quinn and surprisingly Logan and played O'Riordan instead
    Podmore has gone backwards badly this season, when compared to say Milnes
  • Options

Podmore has gone backwards badly this season, when compared to say Milnes
    I think that is also a reflection of our current strength in depth - to be able to leave Podmore (who hasn't been in great form but has also been injured) and Quinn (given a four year contract) out says as much about our strength in depth as their non selection:

Logan 8 at wickets 14.87
    Gilchrist 29 wickets at 17.86
    Singh 7 wickets at 20.00
    Stevens 35 wickets at 20.05
    Stewart 16 wickets at 20.81
    Quinn 18 wickets at 22.94
    Milnes 25 wickets at 23.08
    Podmore 12 wickets at 34.91
    Leaning 6 wickets at 56.83
    Klaassen 3 wickets at 57.33
    Denly 4 wickets at 68.50
    Cummins 6 wickets at 103.66

Let's hope we sign a more successful overseas bowler for the CC next season than Cummins!

• Options
    70-2

wicket to Stevens
  • Options
    121-3

Stevens bowls dangerman Stoneman for 59
  • Options
    121-4

A 3rd wicket for you know who
  • Options
    122-5

One to Stewart
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    129-6

Stevens 14-8-20-4
  • Options
    130-7 from 121-2

That is quite a collapse. One to O'Riordan who is presumably playing instead of Logan because Middx have 5 left handers in their side
  • Options
    I genuinely hope Kent can keep Denly around in some capacity. I could see him transferring to a white ball only contract.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the challenges he faced in his later career. Having produced a range of top class performances he earned the right to another crack at international cricket but was completely mishandled by England who tried to turn a fluent attractive stroke player into a modern day version of Tavare.

As to Kents position on Denly I suggest much will depend on whether Heino Kuhn is to stay and whether the finances will run to another overseas player.

I had a lot of time of young Mr Northeast but in his latter years his demeanour did everything to send the message we were holding him back. My expectation is he will still believe there are better opportunities out there. For someone who David English described as one of the most outstanding young talents ever seen at Bunbury he must be bewildered as to just quite his planned England career went. 

In terms of looking around Robinson deserves a chance to secure a settled spot. He is an excellent keeper and a good batsmen.

As an aside another nice reflection on our success and the state of cricket today

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/sep/21/kents-blast-triumph-a-rare-authentic-moment-in-an-endless-sprawl-of-cricket
    That is a brilliant piece of writing from Jonathan Liew. He writes superbly about Kent's triumph but also places it in the context of the farce which is cricket in this country at the moment:

"This is why Cox’s catch felt like such a special moment: a 20-year-old and a 46-year-old combining to exorcise a 14-year curse, a rare moment of clarity that like all the best sport felt connected to the past and tethered to the future, while making absolutely no sense in the present."
  • Options
    Great to see God doing his stuff to the end of the season. I hope we can win this match and come top of division 3 or whatever we are in at the moment.
  • Options
    143-8

Milnes becomes the last of the five bowlers to take a wicket
  • Options
    144-9

2nd wicket to Gilchrist

Robbie White came in to bat when the 2nd wicket fell with the score on 58. He is currently on 26* off 102 balls. As commendable as his resistance has been I would suggest that now might be the time to throw the bat!  
  • Options
    Anyone under the age of 35 does not need to read this…..

the secret lemonade drinker is putting up some stubborn resistance 
    The song for the ad was written and performed by Elvis Costello's Dad for those that weren't aware
  • Options
    147 all out from 121-2

Milnes 2nd wicket 
    White 29*
  • Options
    Great stuff. Now let's get some runs!