Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hip Replacements

Comments

• Options
    Has anyone on here had a hip replaced ? If so, any advice ?! I’m going in on Monday and not looking forward to it, though will be nice to be pain free afterwards. 

I had one about 4 years ago. Had a really bad limp and a 10 min walk felt like an hour. It took a while for the soreness to go but right as rain  after a couple of months. Haven't  played any impact sports since so be careful if you run, play tennis, squash etc. I play golf and it deffo helped the stance and swing 👍.

I had an injection to numb my back and leg but was conscious and could hear the sawing and drilling (couldn't feel anything), so be prepared for that if they are not knocking you out.

Was in hospital for 3 days and wouldn't let me out until I could walk with the walking sticks. Had a caffater for a couple of days.

Make sure you do plenty of exercises to build up your strength When you come out. 

I had quite severe constipation for a couple of days when I left the hospital as they gave me iron tablets, when I did have a shit it looked like I had drunk 10 pints of guineas 😉.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Good grief no wonder they let you listen to music on the headphones, mine would be turned up full.
    It was a bit bizarre. I could hear it through the music but it felt like it was happening to someone else. But being in a happy place with the sedative all was good 😉 
  • Options
    Don’t scrimp on the post op physio
    Have 2 relatives who had hip ops
    One in his 60s at the time Other in her 70s with hers
    one bellyached about the exercises being painful and “don’t do anything “ t’other just got on and did everything recommended and more besides 
    one still limps and has constant low level pain t’other is right as ninepence 
    No prizes for guessing which is which 
  • Options
    Mum was over 90, with a dicky heart, when she fell and broke te head of her femur.  Had a hip replacement under epidural.  They had her up and walking in the ward the next day.

Post-op, for a number of weeks she was not allowed to bend forward to put her socks on, and I got her a long-handled shoehorn so she could get her slippers on.  I don't remember any other particular problems.

Of course, because of her age, it took her longer to heal than it would for a younger person, but she made a good recovery.  Was provided with a zimmer, but insisted on using a walking stick instead.  (Not difficult to see where my stubbon streak came from!)

I wish you every success, Alan.  Best of luck.
  • Options
    I had one about 2 and a half years ago at the age of 69. Epidural with heavy sedation, so I was totally out for the count and unlike a GA had no after effects. The day after the op they got me up and I did 6 lengths of the corridor with my zimmer. 48 hours after my op, I passed the stairs test on my crutches and was discharged. I came home with a bag of painkillers, but I didn't need them.  You are clearly aware of the constipation issue and the need to adjust your diet accordingly.
    As others have said, it is all about the excercises and getting out walking, mainly to rebuild all of the muscle but also to minimise the risk of a blood clot, which for me was a major factor (and hence a huge motivator!) as I have a heart condition and some history on that front.
    Make preparations for when you come home
    1. Identify a suitable chair as you need to maintain an angle of at least 90deg between your upper body and thigh. Normal armchairs are too low.
    2. In hospital they provide a booster seat on the toilet, so you can keep your thigh horizontal, but in there they have all of the grab rails and handles  for getting on and off the throne. These are things most people do not have at home and you end up using the hand basin, windowsill and anything you can grab hold of. This is risky, so think about getting one with D handles either side (Argos), or a frame which sits around the toilet.(disability aids shop).
    3. Get a leg lifter, which is a simple webbing strap with a loop for putting your foot in. Makes lifting your operated leg into bed and a car much easier. Probably the most important aid you can get.
    4. Other bits like a grabber (for retrieving the bottle opener when you drop it) and a simple device for putting socks on, although you will probably need to wear compression stockings for some time (6 weeks in my case),
    I was lucky with having my op in the summer so was able to go out walking every day, gradually extending my distance and pretty much back to normal after a couple of months. !2 weeks after my op I did an 11 mile walk in the North York Moors with a couple of mates.

I wish you all the very best Alan, and hope everything goes well. 

• Options
    I had one about 2 and a half years ago at the age of 69. Epidural with heavy sedation, so I was totally out for the count and unlike a GA had no after effects. The day after the op they got me up and I did 6 lengths of the corridor with my zimmer. 48 hours after my op, I passed the stairs test on my crutches and was discharged. I came home with a bag of painkillers, but I didn't need them.  You are clearly aware of the constipation issue and the need to adjust your diet accordingly.
    As others have said, it is all about the excercises and getting out walking, mainly to rebuild all of the muscle but also to minimise the risk of a blood clot, which for me was a major factor (and hence a huge motivator!) as I have a heart condition and some history on that front.
    1. Identify a suitable chair as you need to maintain an angle of at least 90deg between your upper body and thigh. Normal armchairs are too low.
    2. In hospital they provide a booster seat on the toilet, so you can keep your thigh horizontal, but in there they have all of the grab rails and handles  for getting on and off the throne. These are things most people do not have at home and you end up using the hand basin, windowsill and anything you can grab hold of. This is risky, so think about getting one with D handles either side (Argos), or a frame which sits around the toilet.(disability aids shop).
    3. Get a leg lifter, which is a simple webbing strap with a loop for putting your foot in. Makes lifting your operated leg into bed and a car much easier. Probably the most important aid you can get.
    4. Other bits like a grabber (for retrieving the bottle opener when you drop it) and a simple device for putting socks on, although you will probably need to wear compression stockings for some time (6 weeks in my case),
    I was lucky with having my op in the summer so was able to go out walking every day, gradually extending my distance and pretty much back to normal after a couple of months. !2 weeks after my op I did an 11 mile walk in the North York Moors with a couple of mates.

Some great advice there mate, thank you. I’ve bought a height adjustable chair for when I return home. According to the phone call I had this week, the nhs will provide the raised toilet seat and other equipment but I’m not 100% convinced about that. 
    As for the weather, most of next week looks like snow and ice in the South West, so I’ll struggle to walk too far, I guess !
    Thank you, once again 
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    Mum was over 90, with a dicky heart, when she fell and broke te head of her femur.  Had a hip replacement under epidural.  They had her up and walking in the ward the next day.

Post-op, for a number of weeks she was not allowed to bend forward to put her socks on, and I got her a long-handled shoehorn so she could get her slippers on.  I don't remember any other particular problems.

Of course, because of her age, it took her longer to heal than it would for a younger person, but she made a good recovery.  Was provided with a zimmer, but insisted on using a walking stick instead.  (Not difficult to see where my stubbon streak came from!)

I wish you every success, Alan.  Best of luck.
    Over 90 ! Stubborn maybe, but also tough !
  • Options
    Don’t scrimp on the post op physio
    Have 2 relatives who had hip ops
    One in his 60s at the time Other in her 70s with hers
    one bellyached about the exercises being painful and “don’t do anything “ t’other just got on and did everything recommended and more besides 
    one still limps and has constant low level pain t’other is right as ninepence 
    No prizes for guessing which is which 
    Point taken ! Cheers for that mate.
  • Options
    Has anyone on here had a hip replaced ? If so, any advice ?! I’m going in on Monday and not looking forward to it, though will be nice to be pain free afterwards. 

I had mine done 11 years ago and haven’t looked back. Can’t do lots of the things that I used to enjoy, play football, rugby and go skiing because the ball part is ceramic and I can’t risk smashing it. But having a hip replacement is a game changer. Don’t fear, embrace 

• Options

Some great advice there mate, thank you. I’ve bought a height adjustable chair for when I return home. According to the phone call I had this week, the nhs will provide the raised toilet seat and other equipment but I’m not 100% convinced about that. 
    As for the weather, most of next week looks like snow and ice in the South West, so I’ll struggle to walk too far, I guess !
    Thank you, once again 
    Regarding furniture, they paid we a home visit before my operation and  raised the settee, armchair and bed so when sitting you are at the right height angle. They also provided a frame and seat raise for both the up and downstaird toilet again so you are sitting at the right angle. They also provided an adjustable seat for the bathroom so you can wash and shave as standing in the shower is obviously a no go for a while. All this is provided for free but I recall filling in form with my height/leg measurements as well as furniture height. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clarky said:

Thank you, once again 
    Regarding furniture, they paid we a home visit before my operation and  raised the settee, armchair and bed so when sitting you are at the right height angle. They also provided a frame and seat raise for both the up and downstaird toilet again so you are sitting at the right angle. They also provided an adjustable seat for the bathroom so you can wash and shave as standing in the shower is obviously a no go for a while. All this is provided for free but I recall filling in form with my height/leg measurements as well as furniture height. 
    Thanks for that. I’m assuming that they’re not carrying out home visits at the moment due to Covid. They never mentioned anything but when I asked, the woman said they’ll sort it all out before I leave hospital, though she didn’t sound certain ! 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Going back to your earlier question Alan.. my first one was titanium,2nd one is the ceramic one.... like everyone is saying..... when you have your physio they will go through things with you and won't let you go home until it is safe to do so. They will have an assessment and chat with you... think of your worse case scenario... there are some things they can provide for you... others you can order online from Amazon.  After 2nd op I ordered things like a sock aid, a few grippers.... you have to wear surgical stockings. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Going back to your earlier question Alan.. my first one was titanium,2nd one is the ceramic one.... like everyone is saying..... when you have your physio they will go through things with you and won't let you go home until it is safe to do so. They will have an assessment and chat with you... think of your worse case scenario... there are some things they can provide for you... others you can order online. After 2nd op I ordered things like a sock aid, a few grippers.... you have to wear surgical stockings. 
    I also rented a chair from a mobility shop similar to what you would find in a hospital, sits higher and is firmer than a sofa. Had it for a couple of weeks. That helped to give me a better sitting position.
  • Options
    I used to do rehab with hip surgery patients on an orthopaedic ward. The sooner you are weight bearing after surgery the better - pain seems to vary tremendously for each patient.

You might need equipment for home - if furniture is too low you'll struggle to get up from it and getting on and off the bed might be a challenge. The therapists should discuss the home environment and may ask for furniture heights- we sometimes raised the bed or sofa if it was too low. Raised toilet seat/frame will be useful.

As others have said a grabber and sock aid - should help - the hospital should issue  these.

If you have a bath at home I doubt you'll be able to use it on discharge so will have to strip wash. You'll probably be given a perching stool to sit on which is easy to get up from.

Worth sorting stuff out at home so you can avoid bending down after surgery - anything in low cupboards etc that you use regularly should be moved to make it easier to get to.

• Options
    In terms of clothing I'd take some tracksuit bottoms to put on if you've got them as they'll be easier to put on - avoid tight clothing. Slip on shoes(trainer style) are better than shoes with laces which you can't do up - they might issue you a shoe horn.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    You might want to purchase these temporary hand grips perhaps in the shower or toilet. 
    And a pee pot is always useful. 

• Options
    I used to do rehab with hip surgery patients on an orthopaedic ward. The sooner you are weight bearing after surgery the better - pain seems to vary tremendously for each patient.

You might need equipment for home - if furniture is too low you'll struggle to get up from it and getting on and off the bed might be a challenge. The therapists should discuss the home environment and may ask for furniture heights- we sometimes raised the bed or sofa if it was too low. Raised toilet seat/frame will be useful.

As others have said a grabber and sock aid - should help - the hospital should issue  these.

If you have a bath at home I doubt you'll be able to use it on discharge so will have to strip wash. You'll probably be given a perching stool to sit on which is easy to get up from.

Worth sorting stuff out at home so you can avoid bending down after surgery - anything in low cupboards etc that you use regularly should be moved to make it easier to get to.

Thanks for that. I had my Covid and  blood tests today. They told me that whereas before, they would have supplied equipment etc by now, due to Covid, anything I need will come home with me when I’m discharged. 
    I’ll definitely be asking about the gear you’ve mentioned.
  • Options
    The temporary hand grab bars are very useful, but you need to be careful because they lose suction eventually and come loose, so you need to reattach them regularly to make sure they're secure. These ones from Argos have an indicator that tells you whether they're attached properly, so they're worth getting even if they aren't very tasteful to look at: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8650799

• Options
    Alan, best of luck with your op on Monday. When you come out... if there is anything you are worried about when you come out just message us on here... we will able to help.... what i will say mate...that pain and stiffness you have at the moment? You will notice the difference very soon, and remember... these hip ops are very common place nowadays.. i was so worried even up to the day of my op. However when i saw one of the people doing the op on the day... in the ward casually reading a magazine before I went down I thought  "well if he is not worried about it then I shouldn't be"... x
    Think of the things you will be able to do that you can't do now.. After the op I was able to do longer walks, play snooker, dance, etc..keep up with my friends... and not have to stop, start, rest, dragging my legs...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We call my Mum the bionic woman after two knee replacements and a hip replacement. The mostnrecent being the hip last year when she was 77. Up and walking within 24 hours of the operations. As others have said above, the physiotherapy, walking, etc. is the most important. Look after that and you will be fine. 
    Good luck on Monday!
  • Options
    Good luck with your op Alan - make sure you get all the support and equipment you need from the hospital. The physio and OTs should give you plenty of helpful advice.

• Options
    Good luck with your op Alan.

I haven't had a hip replacement, but had my right knee replaced 7 years ago. I would agree that a leg lifter is very useful for getting in and out of bed.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    The temporary hand grab bars are very useful, but you need to be careful because they lose suction eventually and come loose, so you need to reattach them regularly to make sure they're secure. These ones from Argos have an indicator that tells you whether they're attached properly, so they're worth getting even if they aren't very tasteful to look at: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8650799

Excellent, thanks for the tip. I’m accident prone enough, so these could be a god send !
  • Options
    Good luck with your op Alan - make sure you get all the support and equipment you need from the hospital. The physio and OTs should give you plenty of helpful advice.

Thank you, much appreciated.
  • Options
    We call my Mum the bionic woman after two knee replacements and a hip replacement. The mostnrecent being the hip last year when she was 77. Up and walking within 24 hours of the operations. As others have said above, the physiotherapy, walking, etc. is the most important. Look after that and you will be fine. 
    Good luck on Monday!
    Thanks for that mate. I feel like a youngster at 52, compared to some of the ages mentioned in this thread ! 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Alan, best of luck with your op on Monday. When you come out... if there is anything you are worried about when you come out just message us on here... we will able to help.... what i will say mate...that pain and stiffness you have at the moment? You will notice the difference very soon, and remember... these hip ops are very common place nowadays.. i was so worried even up to the day of my op. However when i saw one of the people doing the op on the day... in the ward casually reading a magazine before I went down I thought  "well if he is not worried about it then I shouldn't be"... x
    Think of the things you will be able to do that you can't do now.. After the op I was able to do longer walks, play snooker, dance, etc..keep up with my friends... and not have to stop, start, rest, dragging my legs...

Nice one, thanks for that mate.
  • Options
    Good luck with your op Alan.

I haven't had a hip replacement, but had my right knee replaced 7 years ago. I would agree that a leg lifter is very useful for getting in and out of bed.
    Thanks mate. If they don’t offer me one to take home, I’ll definitely get one.
  • Options
    Speedy recovery Alan.