Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hip Replacements

Has anyone on here had a hip replaced ? If so, any advice ?! I’m going in on Monday and not looking forward to it, though will be nice to be pain free afterwards. 

Comments

• Has anyone on here had a hip replaced ? If so, any advice ?! I’m going in on Monday and not looking forward to it, though will be nice to be pain free afterwards. 

Father in law had his done a few years back. No problems and gave him a new lease of life. Good luck and speedy recovery 
  • My mum has had 3 (genuinely).

She is a trooper and each time it has given her huge additional mobility. 

The key is to ensure you follow the post op exercise routine.  If you do that you will recover much quicker.

Best of luck.
  • Best of luck Alan. I’ve only heard that they want to get you up dancing afterwards (or walking). You’d better take some beers in with you or wobble to the kitchen.

Whilst on the subject of replacements. I have to have a knee replacement so if I can be so bold to hijack Alan’s post, anybody had their knee replaced and can throw any info on recovery time etc. 
  • edited February 2021
    My ex mother in law had one. As SHG said, a new lease of life. They had her up walking the next day. If memory serves me correctly, she was as good as new (and driving) after 6 weeks.

as long as they replace the hip with a hip and not a knee you will be fine mate! 
  • My father had 3 as well, as other said they gave him a new lease of life. The last one got him out to Burma to visit the war grave and say good bye to his mates, he fly all that way and back, marched with done surviving comrades, he could only make the trip if he had the operation and got himself fit, he was 80 when he had the operation.
  • Old man had two over the years on the same side.  He went over in the shower room a couple of weeks ago and after seeing him last Saturday (at a socially safe distance) he has fucked it again.  At 84 i think he'll just put up with the pain rather than the bother.
  • Friend of mine had double hip replacement 5 years ago - he was a Saturday and Sunday amateur footballer from 16 until his early 40’s - most of which as a speedy winger - his hips were a mess - playing golf he had the worst fade you have ever seen - he aimed so far left off the tee it was hilarious - all because of his hips - eventually he bowed to the inevitable and went for it - transformed his life - like a new man - cut 4 shots off his handicap - can walk the dogs etc etc 

My Mum also had hip replacement in 2019 - also transformed her life

Amazing what they can do with the human body these days 
  • short term pain for long term gain .. good luck
  • My Dad a few years short of 70 had one about a year and a half ago... Op went well, only issues were the fact his calcium levels were a bit low afterwards due to a secondary problem they found.

Has made an excellent recovery long term though and was constantly on the Golf Course every week up until lockdown - We joke now its a shame the op couldnt improve his form out on the course!! 
  • Thought it was a thread on the latest from the treatment room.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for the posts, all seem very positive. Soapy - hope your Dad’s ok after his fall.
    No doubt, I’d be in the squad a week later, knowing our medical team !
  • I had one done just over 2yrs ago. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be although I did have age on my side, 58 at time. I decided to have the injection rather than anesthetic and glad I did. The op took a couple of hours and you are in a happy place (if you get my drift), can see what is going on (quite an experence) and can listen to music on your headphones if you wish. 
    My advice is do everything they say in terms of aftercare and you will be fine, particularly the exercises they give you when you get home. They do help to quicken recovery. Get on your crutches as soon as you can but take it slowly and build up distance each day gradually. I found it useful to go out two or three times daily. 
    They send you home with painkillers but I found I didnt need them.
    On the downside, you have to sleep on you back for quite a while and it is uncomfortable sitting on the toilet at first. 
    Good luck although I really dont think you will need it.
  • Clarky said:
    I had one done just over 2yrs ago. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be although I did have age on my side, 58 at time. I decided to have the injection rather than anesthetic and glad I did. The op took a couple of hours and you are in a happy place (if you get my drift), can see what is going on (quite an experence) and can listen to music on your headphones if you wish. 
    My advice is do everything they say in terms of aftercare and you will be fine, particularly the exercises they give you when you get home. They do help to quicken recovery. Get on your crutches as soon as you can but take it slowly and build up distance each day gradually. I found it useful to go out two or three times daily. 
    On the downside, you have to sleep on you back for quite a while and it is uncomfortable sitting on the toilet at first. 
    My nan had multiple knee and hip replacements.  The pain went.  She didn't do the physio or the rehab she should have done.

Just make sure you are as active and mobile as possible as soon as possible. 
  • Has anyone on here had a hip replaced ? If so, any advice ?! I’m going in on Monday and not looking forward to it, though will be nice to be pain free afterwards. 

I had one about 4 years ago. Had a really bad limp and a 10 min walk felt like an hour. It took a while for the soreness to go but right as rain  after a couple of months. Haven't  played any impact sports since so be careful if you run, play tennis, squash etc. I play golf and it deffo helped the stance and swing 👍.

I had an injection to numb my back and leg but was conscious and could hear the sawing and drilling (couldn't feel anything), so be prepared for that if they are not knocking you out.

Was in hospital for 3 days and wouldn't let me out until I could walk with the walking sticks. Had a caffater for a couple of days.

Make sure you do plenty of exercises to build up your strength When you come out. 

I had quite severe constipation for a couple of days when I left the hospital as they gave me iron tablets, when I did have a shit it looked like I had drunk 10 pints of guineas 😉.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Solidgone said:
    Best of luck Alan. I’ve only heard that they want to get you up dancing afterwards (or walking). You’d better take some beers in with you or wobble to the kitchen.

Whilst on the subject of replacements. I have to have a knee replacement so if I can be so bold to hijack Alan’s post, anybody had their knee replaced and can throw any info on recovery time etc. 
    Mum's had two of them an all (she is slowly being turned into a robot by the NHS), last one was in July, middle of pandemic but obvs when it was quieter.  Her mobility had really dropped massively in the 18months or so before, she couldn't do stairs and was really shuffling around.  It was certainly a longer rehab than her previous because of how bad her mobility had become but she is now up and down stairs, outside for walks, and walks rather than shuffles.  

I got her one of those cheap cycle machines you can sit on a chair and just slowly and gently use for £20 on ebay on advice of a neighbour although never asked if she used it.
  • Clarky said:
    I had one done just over 2yrs ago. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be although I did have age on my side, 58 at time. I decided to have the injection rather than anesthetic and glad I did. The op took a couple of hours and you are in a happy place (if you get my drift), can see what is going on (quite an experence) and can listen to music on your headphones if you wish. 
    Thanks for that advice. I’ll be having the epidural injection too, though not sure I want to watch what’s happening !! 
  • edited February 2021
    Hi Alan, I have had 2 hip replacements. One in 2007 and the other in 2019. I have titanium in one and ceramic in the other one.  Feel free to message me anytime.  I don;t know id you have ever seen me. I am 4ft 11 and always walked with a limp. I had dis-formed hips when I was born.  I got to the stage on the 1st one where I could hardly walk and was dragging my leg. I was in a lot of pain and stiffness. I was depressed with it. It still took me the courage of a year to get 1st one done after friends and family persuaded me to get it done.  Technology has come along way since the 70's.  From feeling depressed before having the 1st done, after a year I went on a long 3.5 mile walk with a friend. I felt very happy. Have you had the pre-op discussion?  

As someone said earlier, the key is as soon as the op is down, within about 24hrs they will try and get you to get the exercises going. This is the key... (if you go on line it will show you the type of exercises you do.  You can do some of them in your hospital bed, 

Please don;t be alarmed though about the swelling particularly in your bum area which I  don't expect, and the itchiness. That is only natural and on both occasions. You will get medication and things to take. DON't worry about how long it takes to recover from the op. It varies from person to person.  On average they say 6-8 months. Some people do it in less. My 1st one was 6 months at 40yrs old and my 2nd one took 8 months.

I also took up/persuaded them to have extra physio at the hospital and had sessions after and went to the gym for the 1st time off my life. 

I felt like I wanted to play football for Charlton after that.

To show the difference.... the times when we could go to football, us 4 used to go to the Swan.
    Before the ops, no way. Never get there.

After the 2nd right one done and the gym I walked up and only had to stop 3 times unit; I got fit. 

I will say taking plenty of reading material in the hospital, and prepare for when you come out and have things within easy reach. 

Oh and bye the way, before I went in my Consultant said "Think of it like a racing car. You have   tyres that are worn out. You are replacing them with new tyres"

BEST OF LUCK Alan

I had one about 4 years ago. Had a really bad limp and a 10 min walk felt like an hour. It took a while for the soreness to go but right as rain  after a couple of months. Haven't  played any impact sports since so be careful if you run, play tennis, squash etc. I play golf and it deffo helped the stance and swing 👍.

I had an injection to numb my back and leg but was conscious and could hear the sawing and drilling (couldn't feel anything), so be prepared for that if they are not knocking you out.

Was in hospital for 3 days and wouldn't let me out until I could walk with the walking sticks. Had a caffater for a couple of days.

Make sure you do plenty of exercises to build up your strength When you come out. 

I had quite severe constipation for a couple of days when I left the hospital as they gave me iron tablets, when I did have a shit it looked like I had drunk 10 pints of guineas 😉.

Yes, I’ll be having the epidural as the surgeon said that anaesthetic slows recovery. Funny you say about catheters and constipation - the last op I had, a few years ago, the catheter caused me to have a serious water infection and the constipation was a nightmare. When I did go, it was like a telegraph pole !
    Thanks for that and will do.
  • Solidgone said:
    Best of luck Alan. I’ve only heard that they want to get you up dancing afterwards (or walking). You’d better take some beers in with you or wobble to the kitchen.

Mum's had two of them an all (she is slowly being turned into a robot by the NHS), last one was in July, middle of pandemic but obvs when it was quieter.  Her mobility had really dropped massively in the 18months or so before, she couldn't do stairs and was really shuffling around.  It was certainly a longer rehab than her previous because of how bad her mobility had become but she is now up and down stairs, outside for walks, and walks rather than shuffles.  

I got her one of those cheap cycle machines you can sit on a chair and just slowly and gently use for £20 on ebay on advice of a neighbour although never asked if she used it.
    That’s good to know, thanks. Glad your Mum is able to walk ok now too
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Not me, but my mum had one as an ‘emergency’ at St Thomas’s when she went A over T at Waterloo tube a few years back.  She had epidural too.  Said it was a bit weird when they started up the power tools!!!  As others have said, slow and steady to start but deffo full recovery and walking before you know it.  Hope everything goes well
    No doubt, I’d be in the squad a week later, knowing our medical team !
    Get out of it you'd be in the squad saturday if you have some boots.

Good luck with the op & a speedy recovery

Good grief no wonder they let you listen to music on the headphones, mine would be turned up full.
  • Clarky said:
    Thanks for that advice. I’ll be having the epidural injection too, though not sure I want to watch what’s happening !! 
    You hear more than you see to be honest, but as I say you can listen to music.
    By the time I went back to see the surgeon after about 6wks I was walking without a limp and pain free. I was given the all clear to resume golf and was back at the gym lifting weights within 7wks of the op. I have had absoluely no problems since and still cannot believe what a change it has made to my life. Well worth 3 days in hospital and a few weeks on crutches.
  • Rudders22 said:
    Hi Alan, I have had 2 hip replacements. One in 2007 and the other in 2019. I have titanium in one and ceramic in the other one.  Feel free to message me anytime.  I don;t know id you have ever seen me. I am 4ft 11 and always walked with a limp. I had dis-formed hips when I was born.  I got to the stage on the 1st one where I could hardly walk and was dragging my leg. I was in a lot of pain and stiffness. I was depressed with it. It still took me the courage of a year to get 1st one done after friends and family persuaded me to get it done.  Technology has come along way since the 70's.  From feeling depressed before having the 1st done, after a year I went on a long 3.5 mile walk with a friend. I felt very happy. Have you had the pre-op discussion?  

As someone said earlier, the key is as soon as the op is down, within about 24hrs they will try and get you to get the exercises going. This is the key... (if you go on line it will show you the type of exercises you do.  You can do some of them in your hospital bed, 

Please don;t be alarmed though about the swelling particularly in your bum area which I  don't expect, and the itchiness. That is only natural and on both occasions. You will get medication and things to take. DON't worry about how long it takes to recover from the op. It varies from person to person.  On average they say 6-8 months. Some people do it in less. My 1st one was 6 months at 40yrs old and my 2nd one took 8 months.

I also took up/persuaded them to have extra physio at the hospital and had sessions after and went to the gym for the 1st time off my life. 

I felt like I wanted to play football for Charlton after that.

To show the difference.... the times when we could go to football, us 4 used to go to the Swan.
    Before the ops, no way. Never get there.

After the 2nd right one done and the gym I walked up and only had to stop 3 times unit; I got fit. 

I will say taking plenty of reading material in the hospital, and prepare for when you come out and have things within easy reach. 

Oh and bye the way, before I went in my Consultant said "Think of it like a racing car. You have   tyres that are worn out. You are replacing them with new tyres"

BEST OF LUCK Alan

Thanks very much for that, sounds like you’ve made amazing progress from where you were. Presumably the titanium one was the latest of the two ? 
    I had a pre op discussion by phone and have had a lot of paperwork regarding exercises sent through but not much detail in person. 

• Clarky said:
    Clarky said:
    By the time I went back to see the surgeon after about 6wks I was walking without a limp and pain free. I was given the all clear to resume golf and was back at the gym lifting weights within 7wks of the op. I have had absoluely no problems since and still cannot believe what a change it has made to my life. Well worth 3 days in hospital and a few weeks on crutches.
    When you said earlier that you went for 2 or 3 walks a day, do you remember how soon that was after the op ? 
  • Clarky said:
    Clarky said:
    When you said earlier that you went for 2 or 3 walks a day, do you remember how soon that was after the op ? 
    Came out of hospital on Monday and was out walking the next morning but not far at all. The physio paid me a home visit on the Thursday and by then it was upto a couple of hundred yards. After about a week I could probably do 30 mins and then added a second shorter walk. When I was comfortable with that  and had increased the distance on both I added the third. By the time I went back to see the surgeon I was probably doing upto 2hrs per day.
  • Madison was a hip replacement. Too hip for most of us.

I'll get me coat.

Yes, I’ll be having the epidural as the surgeon said that anaesthetic slows recovery. Funny you say about catheters and constipation - the last op I had, a few years ago, the catheter caused me to have a serious water infection and the constipation was a nightmare. When I did go, it was like a telegraph pole !
    Thanks for that and will do.
    👍

Good luck.