Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window Verdict Thread (CAFC)

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    A good window - i''ve not been on much today so don't know if this info is out there but i am reliably informed that Jonathon Fortune is the Swindon winger's agent and he let us know that the player had a £300k release clause so Swindon couldn't do anything about it.   
    Once an Addick, always an Addick!!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    As we are today which player(s) is obviously ahead of Forster-Caskey in the player of the season stakes?
    Potentially Aneke given his impact relative to his actual playing time. But that's not a hill I would die on -  JFC currently gets my vote too.
  • Options
    jfc has done well the last couple of games but aneke by a country mile for me 
  • Options
    Definitely pleased.

Sad to see JW go, but can see why.
    Also understand now how important it was to get MM out of the place so he can go and disappoint another club's fans instead.

All the players we have brought in have the mark of quality IMHO.

Hope this heralds a faster, more attacking ethos.

We are stronger now than we were before the window.  Well done SG et al.

Onwards and upwards, COYR.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    No complaints from me or meltdowns before the window slammed shut. In TS and the management team I trust. Three points tonight please COYRs.
  • Options
    When many regulars were calling for Bowyer to go when we were not only on a bad run but Lee was making so many poor calls,( Lee was making dubious positional changes)  I said Lee Bowyer must be given this window to bring in fitter younger players.

I stated then and again now he must have until the end of this season when Thomas Sandgaard and who ever advisers him on football matters will decide if Lee is the right man to lead Cafc next season.

Lee and Steve Gallen have brought in fitter younger Players in this window and now we may have a chance of progressing.

When Golfie said is Smith going to be the midfield creator; Albie Morgan should've had 3 assist in a recent match but everyone was missed !

8/10 from me or B+ on the window.

Well done Lee, Steve and Thomas Sandgaard who has given as a chance of having a team to support in 2021.

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    A good window - i''ve not been on much today so don't know if this info is out there but i am reliably informed that Jonathon Fortune is the Swindon winger's agent and he let us know that the player had a £300k release clause so Swindon couldn't do anything about it.   
    Once an Addick, always an Addick!!
    Certainly true of JF.  Back in the good ol' days of actually going to games - JF is a permanent fixture in the Millennium lounge.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    There are different ways to look at it. We lost some decent players but Williams and Maddison were not going to play a lot and Doughty had a bad injury. Rightly or wrongly in the case of the first two.

It shouldn't have a detrimental effect on us because of that. I think we should definitely improve but I think Millar is the only one who has proven his worth as of yet. That isn't a criticism of the others at all, more that they need a bit more time and a chance to do so. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Potentially overall going forward we are stronger than the last time we got out of league one.

Havent got the silky skills of Aribo in the middle or ‘warrior’ mentality of Cullen and Bielik, and yes we have taken a gamble on Ryan and Akin coming back (when?) and then not breaking down again, could be our Achilles hill, a legacy of signing injury prone players.

On a positive note, we are trying to score ourself out of the division, bring back Keegan football, and get that lockdown perm ready!
  • Options
    I think this window shows that Bowyer has the confidence of TS. The players Lee felt were not fitting in or had some attitude were moved out. If the owner does not trust the manager they will usually make team changes other staff deem fit to make because they are already planning on someone else managing in the near future. The fact they moved out players they did tells me TS is still listening to Bowyer. He would only do that if he still trusts him. In light of this I see no chance of Lee being replaced as long as we don’t become a relegation candidate, which even in the worst parts of our recent run of form, was not close to happening. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    We concede too many goals. 

This has not been addressed in the window 
    Bump
  • Options
    The game speaks volumes.  

Didn't sign a defender and been punished for it. 
  • Options
    Something tells me that we needed a centre half this window
  • Options
    Something tells me that we needed a centre half this window
    I'm sure that Stevie Wonder posted that a few days ago
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It's a bigger issue than just signing a new centre back for me - as a team we need to defend better.
    Of course. But having a half decent CB playing CB would surely help the team defend better?
  • Options
    Criminal that we didn't sign a CB on loan. Must be loads of premier league U23 CBs looking to get experience. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It's a bigger issue than just signing a new centre back for me - as a team we need to defend better.
    This. We can buy new deckchairs and move them about as much as we want, but for me this squad doesn't have enough belief or desire. They do the simple things very badly
    Bow's used to say on a weekly basis.
    " The players are giving me everyfink"

Don't think I've heard him say it once this season.

The reason for that, I'm starting to think, is unfortunately Bowyer.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    This. We can buy new deckchairs and move them about as much as we want, but for me this squad doesn't have enough belief or desire. They do the simple things very badly
    Bow's used to say on a weekly basis.
    " The players are giving me everyfink"

Don't think I've heard him say it once this season.

The reason for that, I'm starting to think, is unfortunately Bowyer.
    Don't take the piss out of the way that Bowyer speaks ... you'll get 'Leuthed'.
  • Options
    7/10

Very happy with Jaiyesimi, the sort of young, hungry player we should be targeting
    Very happy with Millar, clearly very talented and hard working
    Happy with Stockley, a much needed target man option
    Waiting to see how successful Schwartz is
    Unsure about Smith, not because he isn't a good player, but whether we needed someone in that position

Disappointed that we now have 6 loans, and only signed 2 players permanently in the window
    Slightly disappointed that we didn't sign a centre back OR a dominant defensive midfielder for when we want to be solid
    Slightly disappointed that we lost 2 academy players in the window in Lapslie and Wiredu, who might have done a job this season
    Slightly disappointed that we lost Williams and Maddison (even allowing for the latter's issues)
    Happy to have moved Bogle on, the stick he got here was unfair, but we are definitely stronger up top now
    Happy to have got a fee for Doughty and a clean break, seeing that he was unlikely to feature much this season and wouldn't sign a contract
    I might remove the word "slightly" from this comment...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Of course. But having a half decent CB playing CB would surely help the team defend better?
    The team needs to put 3 passes together witch would be a start but we can’t we’re bad
  • Options
    We now need a settled team, constantly chopping and changing isn’t bringing any consistency and this is showing in our results. Hopefully now we have no mid week games we can see an improvement, not holding my breathe though!  
  • Options
    Did I get it wrong but I'm sure I heard Steve Gallen say during his interview that we have also completed a new contract for Akin. I wonder what that is all about ?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Did I get it wrong but I'm sure I heard Steve Gallen say during his interview that we have also completed a new contract for Akin. I wonder what that is all about ?
    I think it was just to keep him until the end of the season but yeah SG mentioned that.
  • Options
    It was a strange one as Akin had already signed for the season
  • Options
    Improved contract because other teams wanted to take him, possibly?
  • Options
    Unless maybe they wanted more money and threatened to pull him out? So we either had to pay a fee or increase our wage contribution. 
  • Options
    Unless maybe they wanted more money and threatened to pull him out? So we either had to pay a fee or increase our wage contribution. 
    "We can see that Famewo has been taking up a lot of your physio's time. If you want that to continue, pony up."
  • Options
    Just a small thought. 

Did we actually have any investment this January, or were the purchases offset completely by the sales? 

I imagine we made a tidy profit this January if you include the Williams and doughty fees. 
  • Options
    Just a small thought. 

Did we actually have any investment this January, or were the purchases offset completely by the sales? 

I imagine we made a tidy profit this January if you include the Williams and doughty fees. 
    Paid about £600k havent we this window given the Schwartz and Jaiyesimi signings

Maybe a bit more if we've had to pay loan fees for Smith | Millar | Stockley

So yeah we've probably made abour £200k profit maybe more or less depending on how much we got up front for Williams and Doughty