Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window Verdict Thread (CAFC)

Good? Bad? Ugly?

I am actually glad we got rid of a few of the players. Really have no clue as to the quality of their replacements, though. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Would have kept Maddison. Jonny didn't really create much but was an experienced player that might have been good to have around the place. 

No idea about the 2 from Swindon (Yes, I know one is actually with Arsenal...) but think Smith will have a lot on his shoulders as it looks like he will be the only "playmaker" in the side. Everyone rates DJ but we have to factor in the Bowyer effect - injured for 6 months & never the same when back or does one dodgy pass, is thrown under the bus (which has space now that Bogle, Williams & Maddison have all departed) and never played again. 

Jury out until we've seen them play half a dozen times. Don't forget people were wetting themselves over Levitt after the Lincoln away match. 
  • Options
    Wonder how Swindon fans are reacting to our raids?
  • Options
    As always, ask me once these new boys have played a dozen games each for us. But on the face of it... a decent window. 
  • Options
    I'm delighted. Millar alone has been a cracking loan signing. Schwarz looks a proper poacher. Stockley doesn't have Bogle's touch but is more of a goal threat. DJ gave Maatsen a hard time, not many have done that. I'm not sure how the new midfielder fits in to things, but we'll see. Williams had to go. Shame about Maddison but look where he's gone - he's 100% proven in this league and nobody wants to touch him. 

A very good January window. Remember the last one?
  • Options
    Too soon to know for sure - will they settle? Will they last the season before succumbing to a training injury? - but on the face of it signs to be positive.

As much as we know their pain, Swindon fans' rage at being pantsed at the last minute is a good sign too.
  • Options
    A great window for us, although the refusal to get a decent centre half in may come back to bite us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We concede too many goals. 

This has not been addressed in the window 
  • Options
    Seems great on the face of it but I agree with others:

we need to see the team play
    is the lack of CD cover a big issue?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Went to bed before we signed Jaiyesimi and people were ready to march on Sparrows Lane with pitchforks such was the disappointment at the window, woke up this morning and it’s rosey!! 

I honestly don’t know much/anything about  the players we’ve signed, but excitement is infectious and our fan base seems excited this morning so I am too!! 

Of the players that have left I guess Maddison is the biggest disappointment, I know he’s probably a bit of a nightmare but there’s enough talent there to make a big difference to our season and I would have persisted longer. There’s an emerging theme of Bowyer not being able to handle creative players that concerns me. Jonny really hasn’t been at the races this season so I understand that move (but similarly feel like we never got the best out of him).

Very surprised we didn’t sign a CB, our entire season has seemed to hinge on what happens in that position and we currently have one fit, one retuning, one injured and one not good enough. That area would have been my priority.  
  • Options
    I would have kept one of Williams and Maddison and would have signed another defender.

overall 8/10
  • Options
    Decent, but hoped we'd sign a centre back.

Rating: B.
  • Options
    On paper a decent month, but we will only be able judge it properly in May.
  • Options
    I have no issue with any of the players that have been moved on. 

Good:
    Stockley - will add some bite up top.

Millar - has transformed our attacking play.

Jaiyesimi - A player I think we can get excited about and certainly looks like he will improve us.

Meh:

Schwartz - clearly can shoot, but at the moment seems so far of the pace of the game I'm worried he will be able to adapt.

Smith - No doubting his talent, just not sure where he fits into the team currently. 

Bad:

No defender - With our injury record and Jason Pearce seemingly mistake prone I'm suprised we didn't go in for someone else. 

Overall you have to ask if you think we have improved our team in January, and I think we have. So I'm happy and looking forward to the game tonight. 

• Options
    Think it’s a good window in the longer term plan for rebuilding a settled squad and promotion by May 2022. Would like central midfield to be addressed in terms of permanent players next in the summer. 
  • Options
    Not a bad window, but not a fantastic one either.

Glad we got rid of some of shite though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Schwartz is a different type of player to Smyth, jury obviously still out but I'd suggest it will make us better. Stockley has to be an upgrade on Bogle. Jaiyesimi better for the squad than Maddison who barely played anyway. Millar started well so no worse than Williams. Smith cannot be worse than Levitt who again barely played. 

So man for man I think we are in a better place overall than 31st December. Only thing I would have liked had we been able to afford it was a CB. February is a big move and with the new players still settling in. we simply have to have a really strong month or top 6 hopes will be fading away. 

Bowyer and Gallen look to have a decent job at juggling things. I do fear a CB was way more important than signing Smith when we already have Pratley, Watson, JFC, Morgan, Shinnie and Gilbey in CM. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I think we needed another centre back. Disappointing Williams left, signing the Swindon bloke shows we've a bit of longer term planning. The 3 who came in earlier look decent. Maddison I'm not fussed about it obviously wasn't working. 

Think we've signed 18 players now since TS took over. Now it's time to start seeing results which Bowyer needs to deliver now. He's got rid of Bogle, Williams and Maddison who he has all called out in the media 
  • Options
    Over all probably B to B+ range.

If you take the view that we needed to add some short term stop gaps to give us the best possible chance of promotion.  I think it's an A-, a center half would probably nudge it to an A+.

If your view is its window 1 of the the 2 or 3 we needed to rebuild the squad before we have any real chance of promotion it's probably only a C+ or B-.

If your view is that this season doesn't matter because we are lucky to have a club and could only sign the dregs in the summer.  The project starts next summer etc it's probably a A++.  The most important thing is we certainly won't get relegated and have got out of the options on Maddison and Bogle for next season.

My personal opinion is its an A- because I still think we should have about 10 more points than we have got now and when Famewo is back I can see any reason why we can't/won't go on a great run. 
  • Options
    I would give it a B

Not fussed about any of the players that have left.

The players coming in need to show us/me what they can do before I get excited. Every time we sign a player comments on here go way over the top and most times they turn out to be duff so until the new lads show some promise my judgement will be reserved.

I still think we should have signed a center back as clearly that is a problem area but in the management team we trust.   
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Good? Bad? Ugly?

I am actually glad we got rid of a few of the players. Really have no clue as to the quality of their replacements, though. What are your thoughts?
    Good overall. I won't deny I nearly shit the bed when it looked like we had lost Williams and Maddison without getting in a single replacement. 

In the end it kind of felt like when we nabbed Lyle then the season after Deji from AFC Wombles... Only this time we've done it mid-season to a side I quite like.
    It is what it is and we've been raided plenty of times in January. 

Ins: 
    Schwartz - Permanent ✅ Happy with that, gets in good positions, taking longer than hoped to get up to speed.
    Millar - Loan ✅ Has hit the ground running, someone who runs as much as Washington!
    Smith - Loan :neutral: Too early to tell yet, but has looked okay both times he played us. 
    Stockley - Loan :neutral: Too early to tell yet but has looked okay in his two games. 
    Jaiyesimi - Permanent ✅ This lad is a talent and works hard. Seems to be in good positions often and tore Maatsen to bits both games he played against us. 

Outs:
    Levitt - Loan Ended ✅ Wasn't working out, not given much chance either.
    Smyth - Loan Ended ✅ Hard worker, scrapped too but ultimately not a winger and not a striker. 
    Maddison - Loaned Out :neutral: Obviously I was in his fan club for his raw talent. Sadly it seems his ego & attitude have overtaken his ability. 
    Williams - Permanent Move :disappointed: Sad but probably the best time for him to wrap up his time here and a great opportunity for him to remain relevant under a manager that understands what he brings.
    Bogle - Permanent Move ✅ Wasn't working out, worked hard but simply didn't have the strikers incident.
    Wiredu - Permanent Move ✅ Hadn't broken through, if the stories of a fall out with Bowyer are true him moving on is the least of our issues. Not much of a loss as a result.
    Lapslie - Loan to Permanent Move ✅ Pleased for him, seems to have found his level where he can stand out. Like Jonny a good lad and deserves a chance under a manager that understands what he brings. 

Would have liked a defender in there, but assume we couldn't get one in the cap allowance that would be better than Gunter/Oshilaja covering.

I expect we'll start with the following tonight:

Amos
    Matthews - Gunter - Oshilaja - Maatsen
    Pratley
    Shinnie - F.Caskey
    Millar
    Aneke - Schwartz

Subs: M.Brewer, Purrington, Pearce, Morgan, Smith, Gilbey, Stockley, 
  • Options
    SexyDave said:
    Overall good. A bit gutted about Williams, and a shame MM hasn't worked out. 

I certainly feel like the window felt saved by the last minute signing who we really did need help balance the squad. Just need to really hope Famewo can stay fit and get Inniss back as well and we have a decent squad. A push for play offs and a proper rebuild in the summer awaits I reckon. 
    This.

I think we are still light on RM if Bowyer is playing 442, without any cover for Jaiyesimi. And perhaps a little overloaded in CM where we've got Watson, Pratley, Shinnie, Morgan, Gilbey and now Smith vying for, in effect, 2 or 3 places.

But overall, stronger coming out of the window than when we went in, and I'm feeling hopeful that our form in the second half of the season will reflect that.
  • Options
    Can't grumble really. A little disappointed to lose Jonny but he wasn't having much of an impact for us so not the end of the world

Wiredu might come back to bite us in the bum as I know a few of the academy players have been bigging him up and one of his coaches was particularly pissed off with losing him.  Seems he was well thought of and didn't get the chances

As for the incomings - you have to say we have strengthened and improved on those who have  departed.  Jaiyesimi was a bit of icing on the cake really!  Very tricky and quick though may frustrate by beating his man multiple times but a 3.5 year contract is a signal of intent which is great to see

Hopefully we can get them all to work well together quickly and who knows
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    SexyDave said:
    Overall good. A bit gutted about Williams, and a shame MM hasn't worked out. 

I certainly feel like the window felt saved by the last minute signing who we really did need help balance the squad. Just need to really hope Famewo can stay fit and get Inniss back as well and we have a decent squad. A push for play offs and a proper rebuild in the summer awaits I reckon. 
    This.

I think we are still light on RM if Bowyer is playing 442, without any cover for Jaiyesimi. And perhaps a little overloaded in CM where we've got Watson, Pratley, Shinnie, Morgan, Gilbey and now Smith vying for, in effect, 2 or 3 places.

But overall, stronger coming out of the window than when we went in, and I'm feeling hopeful that our form in the second half of the season will reflect that.
    I don't know if we are light on RM.  I think apart from a few months of madness under Luzon, when we played both Bulot and JBG, in what was effect a 424 we haven't regularly played 2 wingers amd 2 strikers since Robinson and Newton in the 90s? 

Even with Powell's team it was Wiggins that provided the natural width on the left.

I can't see him only playing one of the 4 strikers regularly?