Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vaccine

Comments

• seth plum said:
    For @Jessie and @Stu_of_Kunming

Here are some more links about the various Chinese vaccines from the past week.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01146-0  (a well-regarded peer-reviewed scientific periodical)
    https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/who-gives-emergency-approval-sinopharm-first-chinese-covid-19-vaccine-2021-05-07/

This piece from Chile seems to suggest (in the video) that the Sinovac Chinese vaccine they have widely used there is less effective against the Brazilian variant.  https://www.channel4.com/news/covid-cases-surge-in-chile-despite-high-vaccine-uptake The W.H.O. has not yet ruled on this vaccine.

I hope you and your families are keeping well.
  • edited May 2021
    @N01R4M  Thank you. Those articles are very informative. I just have had two of my wisdom teeth removed recently. I will book my vaccination in the near future. :)
  • McBobbin said:
    Generally speaking, for those who had both AZ doses, were the side effects less bad for the second dose?
    Less bad 
  • Just had my second AZ jab

I had wondered how my Health Centre would split things, and it's by the type of vaccine rather than the number, so today was AZ and Pfizer will be tomorrow
  • Jessie said:
    @N01R4M  Thank you. Those articles are very informative. I just have had two of my wisdom teeth removed recently. I will book my vaccination in the near future. :)
    I was meaning to ask how the trip to the dentist went, @Jessie.  I hope you haven't been in too much discomfort since.
  • New Public Health England (PHE) analysis shows for the first time that individuals who receive a single dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine have approximately 80% lower risk of death with COVID-19 compared with unvaccinated individuals.

The report also shows protection against death from the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine rises from approximately 80% after one dose to 97% after 2 doses.

Separate new PHE analysis also confirms the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is highly effective in reducing the risk of hospitalisation, especially in older ages.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-vaccines-further-evidence-of-success

• With restrictions lifted completely in 6 weeks time how are the unvaccinated 18-40s feeling?

Given it takes 3 weeks to be effective I’m pretty certain I won’t be invited in time to be “first dosed” for opening up. I realise that the older group should bring about a level of immunity in the population but it makes me a little anxious. 

I have oval tickets for the 24th and I was convinced I’d be vaccinated by then when I booked them!
  • With restrictions lifted completely in 6 weeks time how are the unvaccinated 18-40s feeling?

Given it takes 3 weeks to be effective I’m pretty certain I won’t be invited in time to be “first dosed” for opening up. I realise that the older group should bring about a level of immunity in the population but it makes me a little anxious. 

I have oval tickets for the 24th and I was convinced I’d be vaccinated by then when I booked them!
    Shouldn’t you have tried to get tickets for headingly........sorry!

will you have to prove a negative test to go? I’ve had both vaccinations and I’m a bit nervous about going back to normal but the other side of the point...

did you go to the Charlton v Middlesbrough game? What were you doing early March 2020? For a very short time in 2020, we were living normally with covid spreading. Easier said than done but try to enjoy the freedom with numbers low and a high number of people vaccinated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wife , who took a spare Pfizer that was left over from place where mother in law was volunteering , got a call up to book her 2nd only 3 weeks and a day after her first .
    There was a lot of confusion when she got down there cos some were saying its too soon , luckily a doctor was there to say 3 weeks is the minimum gap for pfizer and she was allowed her second jab.
    Only side effect , her hatred levels of me have increased .
  • Just had my second AZ jab

I had wondered how my Health Centre would split things, and it's by the type of vaccine rather than the number, so today was AZ and Pfizer will be tomorrow
    Feeling slightly under the weather today, a perfect excuse to slob around being lazy!

Try not to be anxious.

Even if you catch Covid, the chance of anything happening is small compared to the risks you face in the next few years of your life anyway.

Check your blood pressure, exercise regularly, eat and drink sensibly. This will have a far greater benefit on your personal safety than any vaccine. 

The vaccine is primarily for the safety of others.

Try not to be anxious.

Even if you catch Covid, the chance of anything happening is small compared to the risks you face in the next few years of your life anyway.

Check your blood pressure, exercise regularly, eat and drink sensibly. This will have a far greater benefit on your personal safety than any vaccine. 

The vaccine is primarily for the safety of others.
    The last sentence is completely deluded. 
    Not just the last sentence!
  • I had my first vaccine on 27th Feb. Because of a strange reaction which started the day after, I’ve been told to await a decision by an allergy team as to whether I have the second jab under medical supervision in hospital.

In the past week, the vaccination team at my local community hospital have called me several times about booking my jab. I’ve explained my situation each time but last night, they rang again saying that there’d be prepared to use an alternative vaccine (AZ) to my first one.

My GP confirmed that no decision has been made about having different vaccines.
    Just thought it strange that they would make that offer.

• I had my first vaccine on 27th Feb. Because of a strange reaction which started the day after, I’ve been told to await a decision by an allergy team as to whether I have the second jab under medical supervision in hospital.

In the past week, the vaccination team at my local community hospital have called me several times about booking my jab. I’ve explained my situation each time but last night, they rang again saying that there’d be prepared to use an alternative vaccine (AZ) to my first one.

When were you told to wait for the allergy team?
    Were you given a rough timeframe to hear from them?
    Depending on the above I would chase them up as your 12 weeks is getting close.

Hope you get your vaccine soon and have no strange reaction this time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Around a million text messages are being sent to 38 and 39-year-olds in England, inviting them to book an appointment for a Covid vaccine.

Booking will open from 07:00 on Thursday on the NHS website.

Pregnant women will be directed to centres offering Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, NHS England says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57088018

• Ah great. Will book mine up in the morning - I'm pretty sure the NHS don't have my mobile number.
  • WSS said:
    Ah great. Will book mine up in the morning - I'm pretty sure the NHS don't have my mobile number.
    My SIL just booked hers and she is 38, get online and do it now.
  • Gave it a go, says I'm not eligible.
  • I got my first jab 18th Feb a week early after being called one evening as they had some left over. Was advised to cancel original appointment so that somebody else could use the slot which I promptly did. With 2nd jab due I phoned up Monday as had not received an invite. They said I would never have been invited for the second one as I had cancelled the first!

But got booked in quickly attending tomorrow. 
  • If you can spare a morning/afternoon or two volunteering at a vaccine centre then you'll get an early jab if you've not had one yet (unofficially)

When were you told to wait for the allergy team?
    Were you given a rough timeframe to hear from them?
    Depending on the above I would chase them up as your 12 weeks is getting close.
    They’ve promised me an answer this week, as I’ve been chasing them for the past 2. 
    As you say, I’ve only got a couple of weeks to go before the 12.

Hope you get your vaccine soon and have no strange reaction this time.
    Cheers mate, here’s hoping !