Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The dangers of fast food

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Haven't eaten a McDonalds in well over 2 years. Used to love a couple of Big Macs, a cheeseburger and an apple pie. Also haven't had a KFC for a while as they went down the toilet some time ago.

Current weakness is for Five Guys, if I can't be bothered to make burgers at home (people really should do this more as a decent homemade smash burger is as good as anything out there....a fraction of the price, too). Bonus is that their chips are by far the best out there.

Just thankful that we don't have a decent Korean or Japanese restaurant near us otherwise I'd be remortgaging the house.
  • Options
    who doesn't love a Bacon Double Cheeseburger 
    Super sized, extra large, bacon double cheeseburger meal please - a phrase I have said too many times over my life.
  • Options
    I agree wholeheartedly that fast food is dangerous. I was eating my drive through big breakfast at the wheel the other day and nearly crashed the car 

****joking*****
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Create a healthy fast food chain. There's probably a gap in the market. 

I think making takeaways with more than a certain number of chains or turnover, obliged to put in a nutritional information label about what the people are eating can't be a bad idea though. 

It is incredibly easy to just get takeaways every night if you have the money. And very difficult to stop. 

I started doing it during lockdown with the duo of it's a nice bit of help for the local economies that need support now, and a bit of a treat. But my god it's difficult to stop now I've been doing it for so long. 

It's just gained me so much time that I didn't have. 

Luckily I haven't really gained weight because I've been exercising more, and eat very healthily for lunch/breakfast but the convenience and treat at the end of the day is so appealing. 
    I'd say that's Leon's business model? 
  • Options
    Rarely eat fast food, as in take aways, though it's been going up a bit in lockdown. Not at all tempted by the big chains, and MacDonalds threatened to sue someone I used to know (it was originally the McLibel 5 but 3 of them apologised) so they're never getting any custom off me. 

Tend to cook from ingredients most of the time, enjoy it and it means the kids get proper food.

But... I recognise I've got the money, time and ability to do this. Fresh ingredients cost more than adulterated crap. I work behind a desk so most days my tiredness is mental rather than physical. It's very easy to blame poor people for bad choices in food but if the whole system is geared up to encouraging them to eat badly, it's no surprise. Chicken shops have deals under a quid for schoolkids. In most shopping areas there are more places selling takeaway than fruit and veg. And in a lot of places the shops shut around 6 or 7 so no use if you're getting off a late shift. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Still get the occasional yearning for KFC, not so much McDonalds, though I do like their Apple Pie and Banana milk shake but I resist both now that I don’t eat meat.

Stopped eating Chinese food about 4 or 5 years ago because of their appalling abuse of animals. Don’t particularly miss it.
    Don’t really get this attack on the Chinese in particular for their abuse of animals (though it is appalling). It’s not as if say, the chickens raised in this country for KFC or Nando’s live a beautiful life in rolling fields before being tickled to death. I don’t see animal exploitation in varying degrees of acceptability. All abuse of sentient beings is wrong.
    Still get the occasional yearning for KFC, not so much McDonalds, though I do like their Apple Pie and Banana milk shake but I resist both now that I don’t eat meat.

Stopped eating Chinese food about 4 or 5 years ago because of their appalling abuse of animals. Don’t particularly miss it.
    Odd to pick out Chinese takeaways only. I doubt that KFC, McDonald’s etc have great places for where they’re mass producing animals. 
    Over reaction on both your parts!

I wasn’t suggesting one was worse than the other, they’re all bad!

I simply mentioned I stopped eating Chinese, when I found out about their appalling animal abuse. 

Not as you both, on your quick to react high horses are suggesting, that I’m singling out the Chinese, we could probably include the 🌎 over in the animal abuse list, including the UK.

You can unsadle and get off your horses 🐎 now.

Christ, some people look for things that aren’t even there, including me;)
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of Mcdonalds to be honest , its a bit naff, trying to only have 1 takeaway a month, rather than making them the norm, eat a lot less now i'm not going to footie matches, looking for a quick fix.

Just out of interest can anyone recommend any illegal substances to help with mental fatigue?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Huskaris said:

I think making takeaways with more than a certain number of chains or turnover, obliged to put in a nutritional information label about what the people are eating can't be a bad idea though. 

It is incredibly easy to just get takeaways every night if you have the money. And very difficult to stop. 

I started doing it during lockdown with the duo of it's a nice bit of help for the local economies that need support now, and a bit of a treat. But my god it's difficult to stop now I've been doing it for so long. 

Luckily I haven't really gained weight because I've been exercising more, and eat very healthily for lunch/breakfast but the convenience and treat at the end of the day is so appealing. 
    Lovely food in there. The amount of money I spent in the Cannon Street branch over the years while waiting for a delayed Southeastern train home. 
  • Options

Don’t really get this attack on the Chinese in particular for their abuse of animals (though it is appalling). It’s not as if say, the chickens raised in this country for KFC or Nando’s live a beautiful life in rolling fields before being tickled to death. I don’t see animal exploitation in varying degrees of acceptability. All abuse of sentient beings is wrong.

Odd to pick out Chinese takeaways only. I doubt that KFC, McDonald’s etc have great places for where they’re mass producing animals. 
    Over reaction on both your parts!

I wasn’t suggesting one was worse than the other, they’re all bad!

I simply mentioned I stopped eating Chinese, when I found out about their appalling animal abuse. 

Not as you both, on your quick to react high horses are suggesting, that I’m singling out the Chinese, we could probably include the 🌎 over in the animal abuse list, including the UK.

You can unsadle and get of your horses 🐎 now.

Christ, some people look for things that aren’t even there, including me;)

Slight overreaction there Mart, I was just offering an opinion.

Plus, I wouldn’t ride a horse. It’s exploitative  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's always been fast food, so the concept isn't alien to human culture, there are questions about how we market food and how we consume. 
  • Options
    I bet the owners and Directors of the big fast food chains do not eat what they sell.
  • Options
    I bet the owners and Directors of the big fast food chains do not eat what they sell.
    Not just the bods at the top. A lad I work with was a shift manager at Burger King and some of the stories he’s told me is enough to put anyone off a Whopper.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Give it a rest mate. You don’t wanna eat it then fine, don’t. Plenty enjoy it in moderation and that’s absolutely fine.
    But plenty of people eat them every day, that is what the debate is about.
  • Options
    Good fresh meat ingredients cost a lot.  I try to buy mainly grass fed, free range better than organic.  But I recognise I don't have to feed kids, with that greater cost burden.  I mainly buy these meat products to avoid the industrial process that animals have to go through for cheaper products and fast food. 

I am a hypocrite in that if I cared that much I wouldn't eat it at all, and I love a crap Mcdonald's burger:  Though only once since last March.  I eat a lot of vegetarian food and I can cook that from frozen, fresh and tin at a portion price way lower than a Big Mac. 

I wouldn't preach to anyone about fast food, as I love to grab it sometimes.  In a wider issue I would charge any internet/delivery transaction an extra 10%VAT.  Mainly because these shit companies from Naked Wines, to Deliveroo, and onto Amazon minimise tax, force wages below living wages wherever they can whilst boasting about the massive minority of employees that are paid well.
  • Options
    I have a chicken shish and lamb kofte every other week from the local kebab shop, it is really good quality meat. I suppose it is fast food but its much more healthy than a macdonalds/kfc.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Huskaris said:

Leon is bland and just generally crap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Give it a rest mate. You don’t wanna eat it then fine, don’t. Plenty enjoy it in moderation and that’s absolutely fine.

I know. I already said that. 

If you are fit and healthy, then you can enjoy it in moderation. It's a treat. A lot of people can't though. They become addicted.

If it never existed then a healthy persons treat might just be to put a BBQ on.

You should research an American restaurant named "The Heart attack grill".

This isn't a guilt trip. It's not me attempting to tell anyone what to do. Your life is none of my business.

The world would definitely be a better place without it though.

It's only going one way and it's now increasingly accelerating in the wrong direction.

Due to lockdown, rise depression and financial difficulties in people's lives.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    There's always been fast food, so the concept isn't alien to human culture, there are questions about how we market food and how we consume. 
    Agreed.

Obesity, and the associated health risks, isn't so much about what we eat - it's about how much we eat. Interesting conversation on the 'Life Scientific' episode on Radio 4 this morning - a geneticist was talking about the general principle of our natural and genetic propensity to prepare for famine. It is only relatively recently, certainly in the first world, that there has been a pretty much endless supply of food. But that evolutionary trait hasn't changed (not enough time has elapsed) - so we continue to eat more than we need, even when we are full. This particularly applies to carbs and fats as these provide the high calorific value.     
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I wouldn't eat one and the way their marketing is aimed at kids to pester the f*** out of their parents is disgusting, just like other adverts aimed at kids.  I think we could affordably eat better, learning to cook basic ingredients and how to shop is a start, and obesity is clearly at epidemic proportions.  The occasional burger king or mcdonalds etc is probably ok for most, when it becomes a daily thing and part of a generally poor diet with lots of processed foods containing hidden large quantities of sugar salt and fat it is a problem.

However I think all you've done here is get people's backs up.  Golfie thinks you are denying him his human rights and Valley Gary wants a fight.  Time for a move to a more "nudging" approach I think.  :D
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    So what? Unless we’re talking children, or adults who aren’t capable of making responsible decisions then it’s up to them.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    mendonca said:
    Huskaris said:

Leon is bland and just generally crap.
    Generally don't disagree, but it's still their business model.
  • Options
    I like Leon, there Eggs and Sausage muffins are brilliant, but, I'm not buying its more healthy, in the same way middle class people used to go to GBK and be snobby about MaccieDs, when a GBK burger was far far worse for you
  • Options
    I wouldn't eat one and the way their marketing is aimed at kids to pester the f*** out of their parents is disgusting, just like other adverts aimed at kids.  I think we clearly could eat better and obesity is clearly at epidemic proportions.

However I think all you've done here is get people's backs up.

Here's a story.

Someone I know who I was close with...gave me a patronising annoying few words about it. Maybe about 4/5 years ago now. She is right though and I hope she is sticking with it.

No one is in the wrong here.

I am genuinely sorry if I have actually got on anyone's nerves.

It really wasn't intended to be how it probably sounds. I am not random knobhead Jamie Oliver. 

Your life is none of my business.

Just trying to vaguely raise general awareness on it and send out reminders. 

I just think it's important.
  • Options
    Buy cheap cuts of meat and invest in an all-in-one pressure/slow cooker. Initial outlay that will lead to huge savings.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    So what? Unless we’re talking children, or adults who aren’t capable of making responsible decisions then it’s up to them.
    TBF I didnt read anyone saying you shouldnt be allowed to eat it...