Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton v Accrington | Fri 8 Jan 2021

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

Don’t you love all the armchair critics on this board calling for LB’s (and some even for SG’s) heads? They need a cold dose of reality, rather than wallowing in some sense of Arsenal style fan entitlement. Let’s deal with the facts.

In the Summer transfer window, having lost most of the squad from the previous season, Lee and Steve were left with mostly unwanted scraps to pick up in the market place. In most positions their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices had gone, as players were no longer prepared to wait to see (a) whether TS’s takeover would ever be completed and (b) that the transfer embargo would be lifted. To top matters off when the club finally did secure our heroic owner/saviour the league had, by then, imposed a financial cap on all clubs in League 1 and below, effectively negating any positive financial impact that TS could bring to the table.

People may argue why pick up these scraps? Well the answer is quite simple, we would be heading for League 2 if we hadn’t, as we would be relying heavily on our Under23s to get us through the season, many of whom wouldn’t be able to make that step up and would have had their careers irreparably damaged by having their respective confidences shattered. Yes, some would have made the grade, but many wouldn’t simply because of the week in week out physical demands of League 1.

In spite of having assembled a team of mostly 5th rate choices LB has amazingly managed to steer his team towards the top end of the table. It was achieved mostly on the back of having a physically imposing backline in Innis and Famweo. They were ever presents in our 6 match winning streak, when no goals were conceded, and having an attacking outlet in Alfie Doughty.  That back line, and Innis, in particular, were also massive pluses in any set pieces in oppositions’ goalmouths. All three players are out, having incurred long term injuries. And it is simply no surprise that our form has dipped since they have disappeared. Pearce came back from a long term injury and LB has had to juggle with his back line because of the absence of his first choice centre backs.

More recently an injury to Watson, and with Pratley suspended, has meant that much of the experience in this group has temporarily gone. We are left with a lightweight midfield, with little energy, aggression or vision. That’s not Lee’s fault. He’s been dealt a crap hand and I, for one, would not be prepared to judge him until he has been able to assemble a proper squad of his choosing. And that won’t happen in the current window. It will be in the Summer.

Aside from this I love all of the snowflake comments about throwing players under a bus, poor man management, bla bla bla, all out of an HR manual. People forget that with full stadia players are mercilessly crucified on a weekly basis if they fail to perform. A lot of them are simply too comfortable in the current crowd free environments. Lee wouldn’t have to castigate some of the players if there were crowds in place, they would be doing it for him in a far more effective manner.

I equally love the ‘Lee’s lost the dressing room mantra’ that’s thrown up on a regular basis on this board. Throughout my entire career I never once worked in a company where someone wasn’t having a pop at the management. Disaffection is the norm in most organisations, unless of course you work in Nirvana. So to hear that Player X said this, or Player Y has said that, cuts no ice with me. People forget that professional football is a brutal sport, with no room for failure. Do you think for one second that Alex Ferguson (THE exemplar of success) was all sweetness and light? Hell no. He intimidated players, scared them shitless when necessary. Lee is a pussycat by comparison. To reiterate Lee is presiding over the legacy of previous failed ownerships and because of Covid cannot redress the situation yet. Hopefully with the aid of vaccines we will see the return of crowds by the beginning of next season and the lifting of salary caps. Then, and only then, will I judge Lee.

i understand all the circumstances etc etc etc, however, can you tell me why TS told us that he was advised that if we bring in the players we are looking to bring in, in the last window, that they would pretty much guarantee play offs as a minimum, with one recent prem star amongst them. That doesn't sound like bargain bin to me.

I liked LB as a manager as much as everyone else but let's not keep making excuses - he is an overly negative manager now and he continually changes the side, picks shit line ups and makes shit substitutions. That is it - that is why i want him gone. The other things are secondary - throwing people under the bus (started with solly, taylor) then bonne and now another 5 or so this year - exceptionally high number of players injured in training - neither of those are my gripe but won't be helping - my gripe is his team selections and if us fans are struggling with it, so too will the players be. He has to go for his and our sake.  
    can any of the bowyer apologists provide an answer to my post above and how TS's statement squares with the crap we are producing?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    meldrew66 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    meldrew66 said:
    My heart sank when I saw that Oshilaja was starting yesterday. For me, he is always a fatal mistake waiting to happen. I blamed him for us losing vital points due to predictable but unforgivable mistakes in a couple of the final games last season. For me, he is a liability that we can’t afford. Others on here don’t seem to see his errors, poor decision making, rash tackles, panicked clearances and terrible distribution.
    That doesn’t reflect yesterday’s game at all. 
    It does James. 100%.
    Well if we judge this on 'likes' I win 19 to zero  ;-)
    Sorry Vic.
    I think the main reason that he seems to have attracted support on CL is not only did he play decently, but he also looked like he was giving a proper 100% effort all the way through the game. Hope Bowyer spotted that.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    meldrew66 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    meldrew66 said:
    My heart sank when I saw that Oshilaja was starting yesterday. For me, he is always a fatal mistake waiting to happen. I blamed him for us losing vital points due to predictable but unforgivable mistakes in a couple of the final games last season. For me, he is a liability that we can’t afford. Others on here don’t seem to see his errors, poor decision making, rash tackles, panicked clearances and terrible distribution.
    That doesn’t reflect yesterday’s game at all. 
    It does James. 100%.
    Well if we judge this on 'likes' I win 19 to zero  ;-)
    Sorry Vic.
    I think the main reason that he seems to have attracted support on CL is not only did he play decently, but he also looked like he was giving a proper 100% effort all the way through the game. Hope Bowyer spotted that.

• Options
    Charlton always struggle when Sky televise the match.

On that performance I would give Pearce a free transfer. He has become a real liability.
  • Options
    Lee is a classic example of why top ex players struggle to manage in the lower leagues.Because they had qualities as a player,sometimes it is difficult for them to accept that players of a lower level just cannot produce the same level of performance.Lee picks out Williams and Maddison for shying tackles which he would never have done,but not all players are like that.I think good teams have the balance,which to be fair we have when Pratley plays,defensive midfield.I do not like players being called out in public,but as someone else said on here ,in normal times there would be 15000 of us getting the message across so at the moment,Bowyer having a go in public is really just doing what we would do if allowed.We need a ball to go in of someones arse and the whole thing could change in a flash,keep the faith.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Don’t you love all the armchair critics on this board calling for LB’s (and some even for SG’s) heads? They need a cold dose of reality, rather than wallowing in some sense of Arsenal style fan entitlement. Let’s deal with the facts.

In the Summer transfer window, having lost most of the squad from the previous season, Lee and Steve were left with mostly unwanted scraps to pick up in the market place. In most positions their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices had gone, as players were no longer prepared to wait to see (a) whether TS’s takeover would ever be completed and (b) that the transfer embargo would be lifted. To top matters off when the club finally did secure our heroic owner/saviour the league had, by then, imposed a financial cap on all clubs in League 1 and below, effectively negating any positive financial impact that TS could bring to the table.

People may argue why pick up these scraps? Well the answer is quite simple, we would be heading for League 2 if we hadn’t, as we would be relying heavily on our Under23s to get us through the season, many of whom wouldn’t be able to make that step up and would have had their careers irreparably damaged by having their respective confidences shattered. Yes, some would have made the grade, but many wouldn’t simply because of the week in week out physical demands of League 1.

In spite of having assembled a team of mostly 5th rate choices LB has amazingly managed to steer his team towards the top end of the table. It was achieved mostly on the back of having a physically imposing backline in Innis and Famweo. They were ever presents in our 6 match winning streak, when no goals were conceded, and having an attacking outlet in Alfie Doughty.  That back line, and Innis, in particular, were also massive pluses in any set pieces in oppositions’ goalmouths. All three players are out, having incurred long term injuries. And it is simply no surprise that our form has dipped since they have disappeared. Pearce came back from a long term injury and LB has had to juggle with his back line because of the absence of his first choice centre backs.

More recently an injury to Watson, and with Pratley suspended, has meant that much of the experience in this group has temporarily gone. We are left with a lightweight midfield, with little energy, aggression or vision. That’s not Lee’s fault. He’s been dealt a crap hand and I, for one, would not be prepared to judge him until he has been able to assemble a proper squad of his choosing. And that won’t happen in the current window. It will be in the Summer.

Aside from this I love all of the snowflake comments about throwing players under a bus, poor man management, bla bla bla, all out of an HR manual. People forget that with full stadia players are mercilessly crucified on a weekly basis if they fail to perform. A lot of them are simply too comfortable in the current crowd free environments. Lee wouldn’t have to castigate some of the players if there were crowds in place, they would be doing it for him in a far more effective manner.

I equally love the ‘Lee’s lost the dressing room mantra’ that’s thrown up on a regular basis on this board. Throughout my entire career I never once worked in a company where someone wasn’t having a pop at the management. Disaffection is the norm in most organisations, unless of course you work in Nirvana. So to hear that Player X said this, or Player Y has said that, cuts no ice with me. People forget that professional football is a brutal sport, with no room for failure. Do you think for one second that Alex Ferguson (THE exemplar of success) was all sweetness and light? Hell no. He intimidated players, scared them shitless when necessary. Lee is a pussycat by comparison. To reiterate Lee is presiding over the legacy of previous failed ownerships and because of Covid cannot redress the situation yet. Hopefully with the aid of vaccines we will see the return of crowds by the beginning of next season and the lifting of salary caps. Then, and only then, will I judge Lee.

i understand all the circumstances etc etc etc, however, can you tell me why TS told us that he was advised that if we bring in the players we are looking to bring in, in the last window, that they would pretty much guarantee play offs as a minimum, with one recent prem star amongst them. That doesn't sound like bargain bin to me.

I liked LB as a manager as much as everyone else but let's not keep making excuses - he is an overly negative manager now and he continually changes the side, picks shit line ups and makes shit substitutions. That is it - that is why i want him gone. The other things are secondary - throwing people under the bus (started with solly, taylor) then bonne and now another 5 or so this year - exceptionally high number of players injured in training - neither of those are my gripe but won't be helping - my gripe is his team selections and if us fans are struggling with it, so too will the players be. He has to go for his and our sake.  
    can any of the bowyer apologists provide an answer to my post above and how TS's statement squares with the crap we are producing?
    I would remind you that we won 6 on the spin without conceding a goal then all the new players, 'recent prem star' included, have got injured so we are back to 'Super Duper Phone' dross and Snow White reject

@Henry Irving has more chance of a 'promote' than Charlton at the moment, given the injuries, irrespective of the manager.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

I would remind you that we won 6 on the spin without conceding a goal then all the new players, 'recent prem star' included, have got injured so we are back to 'Super Duper Phone' dross and Snow White reject

@Henry Irving has more chance of a 'promote' than Charlton at the moment, given the injuries, irrespective of the manager.
    mmm - the 2 centre halfs and shinnie r a miss, yes - we have been relegation form crap for the last 8 games, all but one included the prem star?? 3 players out and we are relegation fodder? really?   
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

mmm - the 2 centre halfs and shinnie r a miss, yes - we have been relegation form crap for the last 8 games, all but one included the prem star?? 3 players out and we are relegation fodder? really?   
    Who’s the prem star ? 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Who’s the prem star ? 
    Watson 🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Who’s the prem star ? 
    Watson 🤷‍♂️
    exactly - point is - gallen and bowyer felt that the players we asked TS to sign would be good enough to guarantee top 6 - we are now being told by bowyer apologists that he is working miracles on bargain bin signings
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Who’s the prem star ? 
    Watson 🤷‍♂️
    exactly - point is - gallen and bowyer felt that the players we asked TS to sign would be good enough to guarantee top 6 - we are now being told by bowyer apologists that he is working miracles on bargain bin signings
    Doesnt help though that its virtually a new squad from scratch again though isnt it

Before this season started only five players who started Friday night had played together before - By this point of the season you'd expect the players to know and understand each other a lot better, again if they dont you have to wonder what they're doing in training. One thing I do agree with against Bowyer is the fact he needs to relax with the rotation a little bit now, that right there is one reason this new squad is struggling.

Back to the initial point though and this constant building each summer needs to end!!

We're going into another summer not knowing what League we'll be in (its getting clearer) and we've upteen players out of contract - How the hell are we supposed to build a cohesive unit with the majority of players from last season when we keep having this roll over, its certainly not right on Steve Gallen to an extent, and its why at this rate you wont see a repeat of Charlton finishing ninth in the Championship or seeing us do a Norwich (win League One, win the Championship the next year) because of the rebuild that they're forced to go through
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Doucher- gallen and bowyer felt that the players we asked TS to sign would be good enough to guarantee top six.

Where is your evidence for this? I do distinctly recall Steve Gallen saying that they had missed out on a number of their targets simply because of the delays in getting the purchase of the club over the line. It follows, therefore, that Lee and Steve did NOT get their leading choices. Jonson Clark-Harris (League 1's leading goal scorer) was certainly one that got away.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Don’t think any criticism should go the way of JFC. He’s the only one who looked bothered 
    He and Osilaja plus Washington. As we let 2 in every game is Amos still not at fault !
    What did Amos do wrong?
    Absolutely nothing, don't be ridiculous. 
    Well Bowyer managed to blame him, as well as Pearce, for the first goal!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have never been part of the "Bowyer Out" brigade, I've been a more cautious member of @ForeverAddickted's group.

However, after this evenings post-match interview I think the manager has had enough.

He hasn't just thrown a player or two under the bus, he's put on full Rambo outfit, lobbed a couple of smoke grenades into the dressing room and started spraying bullets everywhere.

There can't be a player left in that squad who'd want to run through brick walls for the boss.

It's a sad day for the Charlton Athletic Football Club.
    Sadly I think you are right.
    Welcome to Danish Dan the next manager of Charlton some no mark that fans can get behind for a year.
    The point is Bowyer has to take responsibility for that shit show.
    Then perhaps genuine fans would be more willing to draw a line under it and allow Bowyer to do what he needs to do behind closed doors.
    I think it is very poor management to single out individual players publicly like he has done. 
    It's his style and I don't know why people are shocked by it. 
    I'm just saying be careful what you wish for.
    It's not a great style as it doesn't seem to work. We can't play much worse.
    We can and have played worse, many nights I travelled home watching us at shitty Selhurst. And many times under many managers since.
    Bowyer had no interest In football after he retired. Robinson with his gob somehow talked him into coming back(maybe he was wrong). Bowyer was then left in charge and done an amazing job under the circumstances. I'm not saying that makes him untouchable but I'd give him this season with the new ownership to build.
    I don't think he will even get this season though as it appears so many want him gone.
    So when some random Danish manager rocks up with a Charlton kit on I'm sure everyone will behind him. 
    Weren't we in the top tier for most of the time at shitty Selhurst?  We were never rolled over by fucking Accrington Stanley. Liverpool, Clough's Forest, Arsenal, Spurs maybe but fucking Accrington Stanley?!?!

Karl Robinson lost a lot of the fan base by loosing to Gillingham.  But fucking Accrington Stanley?

The wage cap isn't an excuse because they didn't make us pay Gunter and Watson about half of their 1st 11s wages. 

I am not embarrassed we lost to Accrington Stanley, I am embarrassed we didn't give our selves a chance to win and were out played, out thought and out battled. 
    You mentioned Accrington Stanley a lot then say you aint embarrassed?
    Yes we didn't lose to them whilst playing at Selhurst but we were still awful to watch there against whoever we played. I'm as lost as you why we ain't battling but Im hoping LB can sort that out still.
    The wage cap is not an excuse it's a fact and it's fkd us. I just think LB needs a bit of breather and change of plan.
    I don't think he will be given that time though

The wage cap hasn't fucked us, how we spent it fucked us.  How many Accrington players wages do you think Gunter's and Watson's cover?

The same is true for Burton, MK Don's, Shrewsbury etc etc.  I'll give you a clue, it's about 5 or 6.
    Sorry you really are not making sense.
    Those players were bought in during the last transfer window when we didn't really know if we would still have a club, so it was very last minute. This window we have money but are hampered by the cap.
    Gunter and Watson were bought in after Thomas bought the club.  So we did know we still had a club. They are on over 10k a week between them. 

That's why we are hampered by the cap. Accrington, Burton, MK dons could probably have 4 or 5 players on that between them. 

Have you seen where Burton are in the table?  They'll stay there as well with fat bum in charge.
    Quality over quantity I prefer.
    That is the Burton that we conceded 4 to is it. 
    And?
    Burton are in the relegation zone.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have never been part of the "Bowyer Out" brigade, I've been a more cautious member of @ForeverAddickted's group.

However, after this evenings post-match interview I think the manager has had enough.

He hasn't just thrown a player or two under the bus, he's put on full Rambo outfit, lobbed a couple of smoke grenades into the dressing room and started spraying bullets everywhere.

There can't be a player left in that squad who'd want to run through brick walls for the boss.

It's a sad day for the Charlton Athletic Football Club.
    Sadly I think you are right.
    Welcome to Danish Dan the next manager of Charlton some no mark that fans can get behind for a year.
    The point is Bowyer has to take responsibility for that shit show.
    Then perhaps genuine fans would be more willing to draw a line under it and allow Bowyer to do what he needs to do behind closed doors.
    I think it is very poor management to single out individual players publicly like he has done. 
    It's his style and I don't know why people are shocked by it. 
    I'm just saying be careful what you wish for.
    It's not a great style as it doesn't seem to work. We can't play much worse.
    We can and have played worse, many nights I travelled home watching us at shitty Selhurst. And many times under many managers since.
    Bowyer had no interest In football after he retired. Robinson with his gob somehow talked him into coming back(maybe he was wrong). Bowyer was then left in charge and done an amazing job under the circumstances. I'm not saying that makes him untouchable but I'd give him this season with the new ownership to build.
    I don't think he will even get this season though as it appears so many want him gone.
    So when some random Danish manager rocks up with a Charlton kit on I'm sure everyone will behind him. 
    Weren't we in the top tier for most of the time at shitty Selhurst?  We were never rolled over by fucking Accrington Stanley. Liverpool, Clough's Forest, Arsenal, Spurs maybe but fucking Accrington Stanley?!?!

Karl Robinson lost a lot of the fan base by loosing to Gillingham.  But fucking Accrington Stanley?

The wage cap isn't an excuse because they didn't make us pay Gunter and Watson about half of their 1st 11s wages. 

I am not embarrassed we lost to Accrington Stanley, I am embarrassed we didn't give our selves a chance to win and were out played, out thought and out battled. 
    You mentioned Accrington Stanley a lot then say you aint embarrassed?
    Yes we didn't lose to them whilst playing at Selhurst but we were still awful to watch there against whoever we played. I'm as lost as you why we ain't battling but Im hoping LB can sort that out still.
    The wage cap is not an excuse it's a fact and it's fkd us. I just think LB needs a bit of breather and change of plan.
    I don't think he will be given that time though

The wage cap hasn't fucked us, how we spent it fucked us.  How many Accrington players wages do you think Gunter's and Watson's cover?

The same is true for Burton, MK Don's, Shrewsbury etc etc.  I'll give you a clue, it's about 5 or 6.
    Sorry you really are not making sense.
    Those players were bought in during the last transfer window when we didn't really know if we would still have a club, so it was very last minute. This window we have money but are hampered by the cap.
    Gunter and Watson were bought in after Thomas bought the club.  So we did know we still had a club. They are on over 10k a week between them. 

That's why we are hampered by the cap. Accrington, Burton, MK dons could probably have 4 or 5 players on that between them. 

Have you seen where Burton are in the table?  They'll stay there as well with fat bum in charge.
    Quality over quantity I prefer.
    That is the Burton that we conceded 4 to is it. 
    And?
    Burton are in the relegation zone.
    And two of which were gift wrapped early doors 😏.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Well, we were asking Bowyer to play players in their right positions and be more attacking. He did that and we still lost 2-0. TBH I thought we looked better than the last couple of games and it's not Bowyer's fault that Pearce and Amos collectively mucked up and gave them a goal. Nor is it his fault that we gave them a second through poor defending. When we saw the post match interview on Sky I said to my daughter, "well, at least he's not publicly naming the player he's digging out, which is something". How little did I know? His comments about Maddison elsewhere are a disgrace - he should not have done it. What is it with LB and flair players? And I think the lack of effort from the team as a whole is his fault - something's wrong and he's got to sort it out, though I'd suggest the naming and shaming thing isn't helping.

I'm now of the view that we won't get anything out of this season and will probably finish somewhere around 10th. With the players and experience we have at our disposal, that really isn't good enough. I read comments from @oohaahmortimer and @golfaddick and think "yeah, these guys are calling it right and have a realistic understanding of where we're at" so my optimism is running very low indeed. 

When we had that good run 100 years ago (or October, can't quite remember) I thought that we would improve once we got players like Gilbey back to fitness. He was slightly better yesterday but still pretty anonymous. Had 2 of our better shots. Miller looked good. JFC put the effort in. Oshilaja looked the best of our defenders. Washington and Smyth both put in a lot of effort too. Morgan fairly anonymous, Pearce error prone, Maatsen made more errors. Too early to tell on Schwartz. 

Agree with every word there apart from the bit I highlighted. Can't see where Amos did anything wrong as he was in the right position to collect a simple header back from Pearce. No way could he anticipate Pearce losing the flight of the ball and failing to get enough power into his header, something he will still do 99 times out of a hundred. It left Amos in no man's land, and if he had been more aggressive, would likely have taken out Bishop, conceded a penalty and been sent off.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Who’s the prem star ? 
    Watson 🤷‍♂️
    Doesnt help though that its virtually a new squad from scratch again though isnt it

Before this season started only five players who started Friday night had played together before - By this point of the season you'd expect the players to know and understand each other a lot better, again if they dont you have to wonder what they're doing in training. One thing I do agree with against Bowyer is the fact he needs to relax with the rotation a little bit now, that right there is one reason this new squad is struggling.

Back to the initial point though and this constant building each summer needs to end!!

We're going into another summer not knowing what League we'll be in (its getting clearer) and we've upteen players out of contract - How the hell are we supposed to build a cohesive unit with the majority of players from last season when we keep having this roll over, its certainly not right on Steve Gallen to an extent, and its why at this rate you wont see a repeat of Charlton finishing ninth in the Championship or seeing us do a Norwich (win League One, win the Championship the next year) because of the rebuild that they're forced to go through
    no, rebuilding regularly doesn't help but CP proved it can be done - putting the players in the right formation is far more important   
  • Options
    Doucher- gallen and bowyer felt that the players we asked TS to sign would be good enough to guarantee top six.

Where is your evidence for this? I do distinctly recall Steve Gallen saying that they had missed out on a number of their targets simply because of the delays in getting the purchase of the club over the line. It follows, therefore, that Lee and Steve did NOT get their leading choices. Jonson Clark-Harris (League 1's leading goal scorer) was certainly one that got away.
    this isn't a court case and i can't be arsed to find it but it was said - a far cry from the picture u have painted 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Charlton always struggle when Sky televise the match.

Been true for many years.

I've said before but we seem to struggle more when we don't play at 3pm on a Saturday. Last two seasons show Saturday games, 54 points from 35 games, ppg 1.54. Games at other times 23 points from 30 games, ppg  0.77. Exactly half!
  • Options
    Another issue about squads is that we did our business so late in the window, die to the court & ownership issues unfolding. Other clubs were quicker and done when we were getting started. Lincoln's manager on Five Live last week was saying their success was doing business very early ahead of the window opening they had most of their work done, they just needed the window to open to sign off deals. January is never a good time for business in football. Next summer if Bowyer has a chance to sit down with TS and Gallen will be a time to see what can be achieved. 

This season's signings on the surface were good, but would they have been first choice signings? It hasn't worked out really and injuries are a constant battle to keep people fit for selection. The problem appears to be rotation. It isn't working the constant change so that players don't develop an understanding of what each other does and how they play. 

Keep it simple Lee. Pick up our best 11, that can last a game. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Who’s the prem star ? 
    Watson 🤷‍♂️

no, rebuilding regularly doesn't help but CP proved it can be done - putting the players in the right formation is far more important   
    Powell only had to do it once though, this summer if he's still around will be the fourth time Bowyer has to do it

Shouldn't have to keep happening, its been miss-management above Bowyer that has been the root cause - His comments werent wrong last week either; Hull's team was largely in tact compared our rebuild yet they sit just six points above us
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    DOUCHER - "gallen and bowyer felt that the players we asked TS to sign would be good enough to guarantee top six."

When I questioned you where is your evidence for this statement you replied..

"this isn't a court case and i can't be arsed to find it but it was said - a far cry from the picture u have painted"

The reason for me raising this is that NO manager would "guarantee" a position in the table, as there are simply too many imponderables in football, such as injuries and suspensions (so I would argue that your recall is either imagined or flawed). Look what's happened to us after losing Innis, Famweo, Doughty and now Shinnie, Watson and previously Smyth, all to injuries and now Pratley to a suspension. The point I'm making is that this squad does not have the depth and breadth of quality that we had over the previous two seasons. We may have the numbers, but as I have already stated, like for like quality replacements are simply not there. That's because LB and SG had to assemble a 'make do' squad at short notice. And to reiterate it is a matter of public record that we missed out on a number of our first choice targets, simply because the takeover took place very late into the Summer transfer window. And this was at a time when most teams in the division had assembled their squads, prior to the punitive constraints of the salary cap being imposed by the EFL. That's why I will not judge this management team until after next Summer.

Precisely right.
    Indeed it is precisely right. Bowyer has a very difficult hand at the moment and we all know the reasons why and sympathise. But that doesn’t excuse the ridiculous tinker man selections and defensive mind set.  It absolutely doesn’t excuse the Neanderthal rantings culminating in his outrageous remarks about Maddison. Bowyer is paid handsomely to perform in a professional management role. His behaviour needs to reflect that status and at the moment he is bordering on being an embarrassment to the club and hovering seriously close to professional misconduct.  I hope he gets it back together very quickly or Thomas’s decision will make itself. 
    I’m not excusing them. That post and the preceding posts were about facts regarding transfers.
    i don’t condone LB’s public comments as manager but I happen to agree with the content of them and, while they are most unwise from a man management perspective, sacking him would be an over-reaction IMO.
    I strongly suspect  that TS will adopt a smarter, more constructive approach.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that once Pratley and Watson are available they will be nailed on starters from what LB said the other night. What would that do to your wanting to put yourself on the line if you were Deji or some of the other players ? I'm not saying that they shouldn't be starting as that is the managers call and his responsibility however by sending that message to the players that are available is a bad move imo. You need to encourage them to step up and not basically say you are only playing until I get the others back.