Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The cancelled game thread (due to Covid)

Comments

• Options
    https://www.efl.com/news/2021/march/efl-statement-covid-19-results

Good news. The latest EFL testing has shown ZERO positive test results
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58148878

Time to resurrect my old thread

Harrogate forced to postpone 3 games
  • Options
    Just the two games postponed for Harrogate now.

Rochdale have been given a bye into the Second Round of the League Cup as Harrogate couldnt play it.
  • Options

Rochdale have been given a bye into the Second Round of the League Cup as Harrogate couldnt play it.
    Harsh

If this happened later in the season to Liverpool or City, and they couldn't fit the game in, would they have done the same?
  • Options

Harsh

If this happened later in the season to Liverpool or City, and they couldn't fit the game in, would they have done the same?
    Didnt it happen with Leyton Orient against Spurs last season as well? 
  • Options

Harsh

Didnt it happen with Leyton Orient against Spurs last season as well? 
    Easy to do, when it's only minnows...
  • Options
    Accrington Stanley have been fined £7,000 by the EFL after having four games called off in October last season due to the pandemic.
    https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/news/2021/august/fine-club-fined-7000-for-covid-19-outbreak/
  • Options
    clive said:
    Accrington Stanley have been fined £7,000 by the EFL after having four games called off in October last season due to the pandemic.
    https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/news/2021/august/fine-club-fined-7000-for-covid-19-outbreak/
    This part is interesting, "We got told we were being investigated for COVID-19 and the EFL have fined everybody who had to postpone games. If true, they’ll be plenty of other clubs about to be fined. 
  • Options
    A whole £7000...
  • Options
    Ebbfleet's game at Chippenham this weekend is off due to Covid cases at the home side
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a cancelled game, but Christian Pulisic has tested postive. No symptoms, he's full vaccinated
  • Options
    The first cancellation for a while

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59102123

Hibernian's Scottish Premiership game at Ross County has been postponed after two of the visitors' players were found to have Covid-19.
    The duo - who are both asymptomatic - returned positive lateral flow tests at 10:00 BST on Saturday, having been on one of two buses that travelled north to Dingwall on Friday.
    With everyone else who shared that bus deemed a close contact and required to self-isolate, Hibs informed the SPFL that they would be unable to field a team and asked for a postponement.
    The Edinburgh club will conduct further testing throughout next week, with those who are isolating able to return if they are double vaccinated and return a negative PCR test.
  • Options
    The first cancellation for a while

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59102123

Hibernian's Scottish Premiership game at Ross County has been postponed after two of the visitors' players were found to have Covid-19.
    The duo - who are both asymptomatic - returned positive lateral flow tests at 10:00 BST on Saturday, having been on one of two buses that travelled north to Dingwall on Friday.
    With everyone else who shared that bus deemed a close contact and required to self-isolate, Hibs informed the SPFL that they would be unable to field a team and asked for a postponement.
    The Edinburgh club will conduct further testing throughout next week, with those who are isolating able to return if they are double vaccinated and return a negative PCR test.
    Scotland have different isolation rules to us then? If the players were jabbed surely they wouldn't need to isolate
  • Options
    Wigan v Oxford has been called off today due to COVID, the latter have seven players missing.
  • Options
    I might feel differently if it was Charlton but am i alone in thinking that if you have players missing through covid then tough shit? If they have 7 players missing then it should be the same as 7 players injured.

You have a squad of 22/23 senior players + kids, you can't tell me they can't field a team. Havant had to play us with just 4 subs named and even put a keeper on as an outfield sub, so Oxford can surely muster 14 players.
  • Options
    Wigan v Oxford has been called off today due to COVID, the latter have seven players missing.
    all that Robbo hot air blowing the germs around
  • Options
    I might feel differently if it was Charlton but am i alone in thinking that if you have players missing through covid then tough shit? If they have 7 players missing then it should be the same as 7 players injured.

You have a squad of 22/23 senior players + kids, you can't tell me they can't field a team. Havant had to play us with just 4 subs named and even put a keeper on as an outfield sub, so Oxford can surely muster 14 players.
    I suppose it depends on who the infected players were in contact with.

But then I find the rules around Covid, and how they're applied really confusing, thinking back to last summer when Mount and Chilwell had to isolate due to talking to Billy Gilmour after the England Scotland game, when none of the Scotland players had to self isolate
  • Options

You can play a match if you're 'carrying a knock'. But you won't pass that injury on to team-mates in training, opponents and officials during the game and support staff at any time. 

So, although I agree with you that's it's basically tough titty if you have players out "ill", there is a good reason for it 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

You can play a match if you're 'carrying a knock'. But you won't pass that injury on to team-mates in training, opponents and officials during the game and support staff at any time. 

So, although I agree with you that's it's basically tough titty if you have players out "ill", there is a good reason for it 
    But the rest of their squad (i assume) would have tested negative so could play?
  • Options
    And only lateral flow tests so could be manipulated if that way inclined 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oxford played last night, so I'm now really confused why they couldn't play on Saturday.

I can only assume that the EFL rules meant that they could play if the other players had a number of negative tests?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Belenenses v Benfica in the Portuguese top flight is one game that probably should have been cancelled. Home side could only filed nine players including one of their goalkeepers playing outfield due to a Covid outbreak. They are currently 0-7 down at half time. 
  • Options
    Beleneneses (pretty sure I’m spelling that wrong, ridiculous repetitions of letters in the name) have basically forfeited the match by coming back out after half time with only seven players and then taking once off due to injury. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Belenenses v Benfica in the Portuguese top flight is one game that probably should have been cancelled. Home side could only filed nine players including one of their goalkeepers playing outfield due to a Covid outbreak. They are currently 0-7 down at half time. 
    That's ridiculous. If a side genuinely has so few players, and can't play youngsters to get an 11 plus subs, then no way should the game go ahead
  • Options
    Oxford played last night, so I'm now really confused why they couldn't play on Saturday.

I can only assume that the EFL rules meant that they could play if the other players had a number of negative tests?
    Oxford have done brilliantly despite missing loads of players, winning midweek and drawing against Rotherham today

Karl Robinson had to bring in, on an emergency loan, a goalkeeper, which he got from Bowyer's Birmingham. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Beleneneses (pretty sure I’m spelling that wrong, ridiculous repetitions of letters in the name) have basically forfeited the match by coming back out after half time with only seven players and then taking once off due to injury. 
    Absolute farce that it was allowed to go ahead, does the 7-0 result stand or does it go down as a 3-0 forfeit?
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59560114

Tottenham's preparations for their pre-Christmas fixtures have been disrupted by a coronavirus outbreak at the club.
    It is understood a number of players and club staff have returned positive tests.
    More testing is due to take place over the next 24 hours.
    Spurs are due to face Rennes in a crucial Europa Conference League group game in London on Thursday before a Premier League trip to Brighton on Sunday.
    Under Uefa regulations, if they have 13 available players, including a goalkeeper, from their 25-man A list, they must fulfil the Rennes fixture, which they need to win to stand a chance of qualifying for the final 32.
    The game could be postponed if they do not have sufficient player numbers but all group matches must be completed by 31 December.
  • Options

Tottenham manager Antonio Conte says that eight players and five members of staff have tested positive for Covid-19 at the club.

Spurs are scheduled to play Rennes in the Europa Conference League on Thursday and Uefa says "the match is due to take place as scheduled".

They then play Brighton on Sunday in a Premier League game which is believed to be under review.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59576387

• Options
    Spurs aren't a non league side with only 18 players to pick from. They have U21's they can play as well as younger age players if needs be. If I were Brighton I would insist the game is played or it is forfeited by Spurs & Brighton handed the 3 points. 
  • Options
    I've no idea whether Spurs care about the GM Vauxhall Europa Conference, but as they are joint second in their group and playing the group winners, I assume they'll need a win tomorrow to go through