Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas Number 1

13»

Comments

• Options
    I miss the battle for Christmas number one being a thing too, X Factor ruined it really & it feels a shame that (I'd guess) not a lot of us could actually even remember the names of the songs from the last 4 years beyond them being something about sausage rolls.
  • Options

Ladbaby for the fourth consecutive year.

But wasn't it 'Last Christmas', last Christmas?
    No 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I’m 34 and don’t consider myself to be of an ‘older generation’ or anything, but I have absolutely no idea what this LadBaby thing is - and was completely unaware that it’s been number 1 for four consecutive years.

I do feel envious of those who grew up in a different time where the music scene was a lot more genre driven. Not just for the music itself, but the culture that came with it. 

I’d struggle to point out an artist that has had an impact on cultural identity in the past twenty years. I reckon Oasis was probably the closest thing to it in my lifetime. 
    There are artists that do have an impact on cultural identity still, maybe just not identities that affect you and I. Billie Eilish is one example although it is short lived and much more targeted demographic . The last great ‘wave’ that affected mass culture that I recall is The Strokes in 2001. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    BalladMan said:
    cafctom said:
    I’m 34 and don’t consider myself to be of an ‘older generation’ or anything, but I have absolutely no idea what this LadBaby thing is - and was completely unaware that it’s been number 1 for four consecutive years.

I do feel envious of those who grew up in a different time where the music scene was a lot more genre driven. Not just for the music itself, but the culture that came with it. 

I’d struggle to point out an artist that has had an impact on cultural identity in the past twenty years. I reckon Oasis was probably the closest thing to it in my lifetime. 
    There are artists that do have an impact on cultural identity still, maybe just not identities that affect you and I. Billie Eilish is one example although it is short lived and much more targeted demographic . The last great ‘wave’ that affected mass culture that I recall is The Strokes in 2001. 
    You’re probably right. I guess there’s just a doubt in my mind that in 20 years’ time will people know Billie Eilish songs the same way that people of practically all ages will immediately recognise a song like Wonderwall? Probably not, but I might turn out to be wrong.

Ed Sheeran and Adele have that level of stardom where they will likely go down as legendary artists in the public eye (some would argue they already are), but something is still missing in relation to that cultural impact.
  • Options
    I like The Strokes but I wouldn't say they affected mass culture.
    I should imagine the majority of people have never heard of them.
  • Options

So, have I got this right:

'Last Christmas' finally got to number one last year after 36 years but it wasn't actually at Christmas?!
  • Options

So, have I got this right:

'Last Christmas' finally got to number one last year after 36 years but it wasn't actually at Christmas?!
    It got to number one the week after Christmas
  • Options
    Unbelievable! Shame that it couldn't have been a week earlier.

Still, I bet Andrew Ridgeley's laughing his way to the bank.
  • Options

No he isn’t, all profits from the sale of Last Christmas, still to this day go to the original Ethiopian charity, have done since it’s release in 1984. 
  • Options
    When ladbaby first become viral, i found it funny. However it does grate on me now and i try to avoid any if i see them. As for number 1 the last 4 years, thats a travesty. The first year i was like anyone but ladbaby and didn't realise it had been the last few years and i do listen to the so called charts/ popular songs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:

No he isn’t, all profits from the sale of Last Christmas, still to this day go to the original Ethiopian charity, have done since it’s release in 1984. 
    So they are. Googling that led me to this interesting read:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2017/dec/14/still-saving-us-from-tears-story-george-michael-last-christmas
  • Options

I read that he gets £10k a year from Careless Whisper (which he had nothing to do with), so Lord knows how much he gets from LC (which will live forever).