Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas Number 1

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Off_it said:
    MrWalker said:
    I just had a massive Christmas number 2.
    You've just has a "Last Christmas"?
    I gave it away
    To someone special 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    The charts mean nothing. I feel sorry for my kids (all teenagers) as there are no genres or "types" of music nowadays. Years ago you had mods, rockers, punks, 2tone, new romantics etc. You followed bands like Slade, Mud, Showadawaddy.......or Duran Duran, Madness, Spandau. Oasis/Blur revived that somewhat but the last 20 years have  been dire imo. 
    There are loads of different types of good music coming out, it's just the charts are such an irrelevance that you can perfectly enjoy them in a bubble without other people being aware of them. Spotify/YouTube will just give you similar songs/new releases to what you already listen to and show them to you, even if that music gets nowhere near the charts so you can still have that.

Based off the charts, the success that the sort of Psychadelic scene has again with Tame Impala, the grime scene (not fucking Stormzy), etc wouldn't be noticed at all, but they are all out there it's just not pop culture

• Options
    And now loses its record of best selling song to never reach number one. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Well not quite. It'll hold the record until something surpasses that run of 36 years.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    clive said:

Wham!'s Last Christmas has topped the UK singles chart for the first time, 36 years after it was first released.

The festive classic was streamed 9.2 million times over the last week, knocking LadBaby's Don't Stop Me Eating off the top spot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55509575

Watched a Ch5 programme last night, 'best song of the 80s'. A top 50 countdown and Last Christmas was voted number 1!

What a talent George Michael was though. I'm very eclectic but heavily into the likes of Depeche, Vedder, Weller, Joy Division, James, Radiohead, Editors etc. But boy do I miss George Michael. Such a great (and sad) loss. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Well not quite. It'll hold the record until something surpasses that run of 36 years.
    There will now be a new record holder. 36 years is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Quiz show host : what song has sold most copies without reaching number 1?

Contestant : Last Christmas by Wham! 

Quiz show host : sorry, that reached number 1 in 2021. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5, they said on the radio earlier.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Fairytale of New York?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The charts mean nothing. I feel sorry for my kids (all teenagers) as there are no genres or "types" of music nowadays. Years ago you had mods, rockers, punks, 2tone, new romantics etc. You followed bands like Slade, Mud, Showadawaddy.......or Duran Duran, Madness, Spandau. Oasis/Blur revived that somewhat but the last 20 years have  been dire imo. 
    That could be a good thing imo. It's a bit daft to just follow one genre and have to dress accordingly. I was once, when I was young, accused of not dressing right for a New Order fan. I never got that and as I was a fan of all different bands who all dressed differently themselves. Nowadays I try to steer away a bit from my genre of reference. Surely, it's more 'healthy' to like different types of music.

The last twenty years most certainly have not been dire. You are just not looking in the right places, and you wouldn't listen to any recommendations either. 
  • Options
    Talking of Spotify, is it worth the money?
    I've just started a four month free trial of Deezer and the lack of ads is a revelation. I might not choose Deezer in the long run but I intend to do some other free trials and then make my choice. Also, you do give something back to the music industry, although questions have been raised if the money is spread fairly.

Check out the thread for this:
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90261/online-music-streaming-which-service#latest
  • Options
    That could be a good thing imo. It's a bit daft to just follow one genre and have to dress accordingly. I was once, when I was young, accused of not dressing right for a New Order fan. I never got that and as I was a fan of all different bands who all dressed differently themselves. Nowadays I try to steer away a bit from my genre of reference. Surely, it's more 'healthy' to like different types of music.

The last twenty years most certainly have not been dire. You are just not looking in the right places, and you wouldn't listen to any recommendations either. 
    The late 80’s early 90’’s was a very mixed time for my clothes. 

Consecutive Saturdays could entail dressing in flared jeans, coloured kickers and flower power hoodie for a warehouse rave, or  trousers and collared shirt for Flicks/Zens or a prince of Wales check suit with a black roll neck for looking good when going up west 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    And if that suddenly gets to number 1 the new answer would be Wonderwall.
  • Options
    Race is really hotting up with a real chance for a Sex Pistols ‘God save the queen’ moment……
  • Options
    Anything other than another bloody sausage roll song…… 
  • Options
    This was a contender for a while…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTT45es2hA4

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Surely it will be maroon 5 forever more, unless it’s tied into an incredibly successfully marketing campaign, sporting event etc. Wham always had the potential once a year, does not feel the same for maroon 5.
  • Options
    Elton was and is an icon. But all the modern stuff he is doing is just plain a simply cringeworthy. Sausage rolls a fine example of that. Yes I do know it's for charity. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Surely it will be maroon 5 forever more, unless it’s tied into an incredibly successfully marketing campaign, sporting event etc. Wham always had the potential once a year, does not feel the same for maroon 5.
    Or some other song sells a load and doesn't reach number 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kunts are running ladbaby close this year
  • Options
    And the No1 this year in the UK was…......................
    ?
  • Options
    Ladbaby for the fourth consecutive year.
  • Options
    In the 80's pop stars released records to feed children in Africa, these days it's to feed children in this country.
  • Options
    Plus the bloke who did it is by all accounts a Tory voter, which means he gives a small percentage of the amount people pay to buy the song (once all the costs are taken off first) to help food banks, whilst voting for the party who caused the food banks in rhe first place.

All the while making a healthy profit through the exposure, selling merchandise - sausage roll Christmas jumpers etc.

Wish people would just buy/stream decent songs and donate to the Trussell Trust directly rather than buy his records, personally.
    It’s interesting how ladbaby and the K***s got into a bit of a war of words this year.
    I think the K***s made a good point that they weren’t “labeling themselves as a charity record to shamelessly boost their online presence”, but were actually making donations to chosen charities regardless. This was after ladbaby had questioned whether they were doing it for charity. 
    Seems a bit classless of ladbaby to make a point of the charity element - if you’re doing it for charity, the status symbol of getting to number one shouldn’t matter. We all know, as the K***s rightly point out, that he’s profiting hugely from the exposure he gets from the songs, so I don’t think he’s got the right to sit on such a high horse.
  • Options
    He is a YouTuber - without views and merchandising he doesn’t make a living. If he raises some money for charity along the way all fine by me. Never seen his channel and the songs are shite.  How many people are now aware of the Trussel Trust through these songs ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    He is a YouTuber - without views and merchandising he doesn’t make a living. If he raises some money for charity along the way all fine by me. Never seen his channel and the songs are shite.  How many people are now aware of the Trussel Trust through these songs ? 
    Of course. But he can’t get all holier than thou about his song being a CHARIDEE song when he’s coining it in off the back of it.

To be honest, I just find it a bit hypocritical and quite crass. 
    I don’t really care about the Christmas number one, but I’m not a fan of this sort of thing.

😉
  • Options
    I’m 34 and don’t consider myself to be of an ‘older generation’ or anything, but I have absolutely no idea what this LadBaby thing is - and was completely unaware that it’s been number 1 for four consecutive years.

I do feel envious of those who grew up in a different time where the music scene was a lot more genre driven. Not just for the music itself, but the culture that came with it. 

I’d struggle to point out an artist that has had an impact on cultural identity in the past twenty years. I reckon Oasis was probably the closest thing to it in my lifetime. 
  • Options

Ladbaby for the fourth consecutive year.

But wasn't it 'Last Christmas', last Christmas?