Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    LB said that a fee has been agreed with 3 Championship sides. Stoke is one but who are the other two?
    I ain’t sayin nuffink.
    Is the uneducated poor grammar a hint that Millwall’s another :-) 
  • Makes sense...we need to free up spaces now and he will need most of the season to recover before playing and for us now that is too late. He is6 that much better than he was at Bromley this time last year so Ciao baby Alfie. 
    What spaces will it free up?
    I don’t think it frees up anything U21 so no impact on the salary cap. 

If we want to replace him with another player then more over 21 players need to leave or we find more u21 players who want to move to us. 
    the nonsense of the salary cap and how it's been structured

We could sell him for £20m but still wouldn't be able to spend an extra £500k on wages
    Yup - what makes it worse is that we voted against it. 
    What makes it even worse is it was one vote away from being rejected...

Yes - 8 voted against and two who were going to vote against flipped at the last minute.

Talking about it today with the Stoke CEO - it never got to a vote in the Championship, being thrown out at the proposal stage - and that was a £18m cap. Trying to level the playing field just leads to a race to the bottom - we’ll have drafts next!
  • bobmunro said:
    LB said that a fee has been agreed with 3 Championship sides. Stoke is one but who are the other two?
    I ain’t sayin nuffink.
    Is the uneducated poor grammar a hint that Millwall’s another :-) 
    No - that’s how I speak in real life innit.
  • Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    I ain’t sayin nuffink.
    Is the helicopter on standby to go and pick him up Bob?
    Bentley.
  • When is he due back from injury? 
    End of Feb rings a bell 
    End of Feb rings a bell 
    So he could be available for our run in.
  • I still keep coming back to the medical, not sure how he is going to pass that if he isn’t fit 
  • I still keep coming back to the medical, not sure how he is going to pass that if he isn’t fit 
    They will probably take out some form of insurance to protect them against that.
    They will probably take out some form of insurance to protect them against that.
    The medical is not a fitness test - the doctor will be able to determine with a very high degree of certainty at this stage whether or not a full recovery from the injury will be the outcome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Makes sense...we need to free up spaces now and he will need most of the season to recover before playing and for us now that is too late. He is6 that much better than he was at Bromley this time last year so Ciao baby Alfie. 
    What spaces will it free up?
    I don’t think it frees up anything U21 so no impact on the salary cap. 

If we want to replace him with another player then more over 21 players need to leave or we find more u21 players who want to move to us. 
    the nonsense of the salary cap and how it's been structured

We could sell him for £20m but still wouldn't be able to spend an extra £500k on wages
    Looking at Accrington tonight & previous games against MK and Lincoln I think the answer is in building a TEAM.......not just bringing in players & then trying to cobble something together. On paper we should have beaten Accrington  - we had full internationals & players that have played in the Championship and even the Prem. But we aren't a TEAM. Until the wage cap has been scrapped it's probably best to look for the best young players who are happy on £2.5k p/wk. 

Or you do what I have advocated for months which is to sod the cap, bring in who you need & fight it out in the Courts later. As this is unpaletable to many then we'll just have to scour the best young players who don't want to earn very much. The wag cap is a restraint of trade & age discrimination. Get Freshfields on the case pronto..
  • bobmunro said:
    I ain’t sayin nuffink.
    Double negative, what you saying?
  • At least Lookman and Gomez (and even Aribo and Phillips) reached a level where they had proven themselves as ‘better’ than the club.

I know Doughty is quick and has had some decent appearances but I’m not sure if he’s a Championship level player until he finds more consistency in his game.
  • MattF said:
    The way QPR are playing, he could be back in L1 next season...

QPR have their own contract non signer in Bright Osayi-Samuel, who wants out and is out of contract in the summer
  • MattF said:
    The way QPR are playing, he could be back in L1 next season...

QPR have their own contract non signer in Bright Osayi-Samuel, who wants out and is out of contract in the summer
    Maybe we could swap.  😉
  • MattF said:
    Head Turner.
    Smyth in part exchange with his wages being paid up for this season to allow for another loan? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bournemouth have had a bid accepted. 
  • So the three champ clubs in for Alfie are Bournemouth, QPR and Stoke, with Celtic and Rangers making pre contract offers. 

For me it’s a toss up of Bournemouth (potentially prem next season) and the two Glasgow clubs but in doing that shafting us. Would prefer him to go now instead of getting fit for either of those clubs next summer. 
  • RedRobin said:
    So the three champ clubs in for Alfie are Bournemouth, QPR and Stoke, with Celtic and Rangers making pre contract offers. 

For me it’s a toss up of Bournemouth (potentially prem next season) and the two Glasgow clubs but in doing that shafting us. Would prefer him to go now instead of getting fit for either of those clubs next summer. 
    Stoke are only two points off the Play-Offs...
  • edited January 2021
    I saw QPR, Bournemouth would possibly be more attractive from both a footballing and financial perspective.
  • Richard J said:
    MattF said:
    Head Turner.
    Smyth in part exchange with his wages being paid up for this season to allow for another loan? 
    Smyth not for me....Too lightweight
  • edited January 2021
    Dansk_Red said:
    Bournemouth have had a bid accepted. 
    Why would we accept bids ? We should be saying the bid does not meet our evaluation and be playing the teams that have bid, off against each other
  • Bournemouth easily the most attractive offer. On 1st season down parachute payments so should be able to afford decent wages, play an attacking style of football, a good chance of promotion to the PL AND a more attractive (and nearer) place to move to than Stoke or Glasgow
    Who plays for Bournemouth who might be worth taking in part exchange?