Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs?

Loved how he referred to us always as WE! Plus you could tell how he felt about the tactics and the subs the same as the majority of the Postmatch thread. Alan is Charlton, could he? Would he? Long time out the game but still comes across as knowing what is needed, just like back in the day....

Comments

• Options
    Always wanted and still want Bowyer to do the business again but had so much Curbs love after seeing him today.  Yeah, long time out the game but still understands the principles of football and knows how to get Promotion! Curbs love us! So much better than some journeyman league 1 manger if Bowyer is given the boot...
  • Options
    Time will tell...
  • Options
    Talking of Curbs. You have to see this. He has a new career in acting I tell ya.....

https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/1340250525074374656?s=21

That's brilliant...
  • Options
    Curbs should be football advisor.

role one. Explain to bowyer the disadvantages off 4 full backs
  • Options
    Loved how he referred to us always as WE! Plus you could tell how he felt about the tactics and the subs the same as the majority of the Postmatch thread. Alan is Charlton, could he? Would he? Long time out the game but still comes across as knowing what is needed, just like back in the day....
    he's finally learnt on that score - that was the one thing i didn't take to with curbs - the fact u always felt he was west ham - whether thats just being honest or not i don't know but that is the clearest indication i've seen in years that he might be hovering for the job - something i would massively welcome 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I bow to nobody in my love and appreciation of the great Curbs but it is a whole lot easier to say what people want to hear as a pundit than to do it as a manager as he well knows.

All that said Lee Bowyer does need to learn how to finish a game. These late goals have happened far too often now.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Curbs frequently employed the same tactic of swapping out attacking players for defensive early in games we were winning.
    Hilarious to see people wanting him to replace Bowyer! 

There isn't anything wrong with doing it if you can make it work. Also bearing in mind, Curbs had to play against much better sides. You need zero knowledge of football to know that we can't make it work against the likes of Swindon and should desist immediately.
  • Options
    Curbs oversaw many years of ordinary football, but also some of our happiest and most successful in the clubs history. The desire for success, drove ,Curbs out of the club. Consistency had been the mainstay, but hunger and greed for even greater heights, saw his and our downfall. Just like when Ferguson left Man Utd, the following years have not measured up. They say never go back to a lost love and I agree.

As recently as last week, Bradford City parted company, yet again(4th time as manager) with their club legend McCall, following a run of SIX straight defeats.

Let Curbs stay one of our greats and lets see how Lee does over the next 15 years to see if there is any parity. 
  • Options
    Curbs, even now is light years in front of Bowyer as a manager/coach, I don’t care how long he’s been out the game  
    a god is a god 
    Was Curbs light years ahead in those early years, the man who brought on Tom Hovi to shore it up against Derby when we were 3-1 up, was someone who was learning as Bow is now 
  • Options
    Was curbs doing Gillette soccer Saturday?

He's part of the group?
  • Options
    When doing in management...it's safe to say curbs was probably quite an unlikeable character from a players point of view.

Wouldn't have been a problem though. They respected him as he was probably someone that would get under their skin but for the right reasons.

Do your job or f*CK off...I think was one of his general standard tactical messages!
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Curbs, even now is light years in front of Bowyer as a manager/coach, I don’t care how long he’s been out the game  
    a god is a god 
    Was Curbs light years ahead in those early years, the man who brought on Tom Hovi to shore it up against Derby when we were 3-1 up, was someone who was learning as Bow is now 
    Curbs had a shit budget, we were pretty skint early on in his managerial career and he kept us up in the 2nd tier and competitive every time by hook or by crook with some junk as well from 1981-2009 we were never in the third tier (Curbs managed us 91-06)
    Bowyer is a good few years away from being able to tie Curbs laces as a manager .
    Well aware of that, Curbs would have struggled to have kept that squad up last season especially post resumption. Curbs didn’t have Roland or Southall to deal with and had a stable operation behind him 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    a god is a god 
    Bowyer has made the same mistakes 10 times now since last October! That isn’t learning
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Curbs should be football advisor.

role one. Explain to bowyer the disadvantages off 4 full backs
    Didn't Curbs famously squeeze 5 full backs into one of his sides back in the day?
  • Options
    Curbs loved converting a full back into a midfielder. Kish and Konchesky were regularly played in midfield. If he could have got away with it he would have had a team of full backs crossing balls up to Shaun Bartlett every week 
  • Options
    Of course they key question is will LB ever reach the heights of a back 4 of Fortune, Costa, Fish and Young ? 
  • Options
    Of course they key question is will LB ever reach the heights of a back 4 of Fortune, Costa, Fish and Young ? 
    Back in 2016, there was also that classic Charlton subs bench: Pope, Suk-Yung, Fanni, etc.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Back in 2016, there was also that classic Charlton subs bench: Pope, Suk-Yung, Fanni, etc.

Wasnt Johnson on the Bench too, what with being close to that Sunderland player going to prison?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Wasnt Johnson on the Bench too, what with being close to that Sunderland player going to prison?
    He was, the biggest Johnson since Boris. 

• Options
    Curbs was human and made mistakes as everybody does. I just don't recall him continuing to make the same ones all of the time.
  • Options
    Don’t know if I’ve missed this before, but just read an article on The Athletic confirming that Curbs was interviewed for the Liverpool job before they gave it to Rafa Benitez. Istanbul could have been his
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I should think TS has been very impressed with way Curbs has spoken on valley pass.