Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton v AFC Wimbledon | Sat 12 Dec 2020

Comments

• Bar the last 7/8 minutes of the first half we looked decent at times. Not all the time, but no one is suggesting that are they?
  • Williams goals celebration is pure class
    It's nice that he has the opportunity to display his goal celebration.
  • Trying to think the last time we scored 5 at home. I can only think of the Cardiff match but we must have done it since then. 
    Rochdale, last hime game before the play offs. I think we scored 5
  • Defensively we still look fragile especially to high balls but so much better than previously, played on the front foot and took the chances.

Lee "knows nothing/lost the dressing room/should be sacked" Bowyer seems to have learnt so much about football in just one week  :D

The subs really impacted.  Well done Lee.  And pushing the full back forward gave us the width we've lacked in recent games

MOM Gunter

JFC did a lot of work that will go unnoticed by a few, got the important goal, Maddison looked better without really sparking, Aneke such an improvement on Bogle.  Will work well with Ronnie.

Still a long way to go but we're in the top six and very close to the top two and with Innis, Famewo, Morgan, Smyth and others to return.

Lee Bowyer's Red and White Army

We looked good defensively before all the injuries to the CBs. I don't think we have done too badly when playing with no CBs and other players covering, considering. And only 1 CB today. I think we will become better defensively once we get 2+ CBs back. What bad luck for Famewo to come back, only to injure himself 'just' doing a  drill in training
  • DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    DOUCHER said:
    first half poor, then chucks and williams come on - hopefully in the window we will bring more in that are at their level and be able to have a 90 minute threat 
    Are you sure you were watching our game?

Poor 10 minutes at the end of the 1st half, but we were exploiting space and creating chances. I thought Maddison played well, and tactically the front two splitting to the wings left their back three marking each other forcing their full backs to play as a back five. FC playing right side didn’t work for me, but we had clearly identified a weakness there and tried to exploit it all game.

Second half we were superb with most of our attacks coming down their left and Gunter took full advantage of the space, and what a game he had. Chucks outstanding and Williams busy. Comprehensive well deserved victory. Roll on Tuesday. COYR!
    there were a few decent performances first half but had we not brought chucks and williams on, we would not have won that game - our goal was a great individual effort but don't kid yourself that we looked like a good team first half coz we didn't. 
    But we did bring them on as that's what subs are for.

Also apart from the last 10 mins of the first half we looked quite comfortable and 10 times better than the team that got rolled over by MK Dons, so why the negativity?

Don't understand some people
    I'd argue that although we looked comfortable -  for the last 25 minutes of the first half we ended up getting trapped in the same patterns of play that has caused us issues over the last set of games. 

So it came as no surprise to me that Wimbledon nicked a goal. 

Second half though we looked so much more dynamic and fluid even before the subs came. I had a feeling we would get back into it especially with the quality we could bring in off the bench 

• The only good thing the ref did was to book their ‘keeper early for time wasting; other than that I thought he was dreadful.

Madison has started to show what he is capable of. He and Forster-Caskey are a class above most midfielders in this division.

Bogle tried really hard, got into some great positions, but he’s no Aneke.

Overall, a good performance, and while 5-2 may flatter us, all the goals were really well worked.
    I liked the way he kept the card in his pocket first half. Lost it in the second
  • Defensively we still look fragile especially to high balls but so much better than previously, played on the front foot and took the chances.

Lee "knows nothing/lost the dressing room/should be sacked" Bowyer seems to have learnt so much about football in just one week  :D

The subs really impacted.  Well done Lee.  And pushing the full back forward gave us the width we've lacked in recent games

MOM Gunter

JFC did a lot of work that will go unnoticed by a few, got the important goal, Maddison looked better without really sparking, Aneke such an improvement on Bogle.  Will work well with Ronnie.

Still a long way to go but we're in the top six and very close to the top two and with Innis, Famewo, Morgan, Smyth and others to return.

We looked good defensively before all the injuries to the CBs. I don't think we have done too badly when playing with no CBs and other players covering, considering. And only 1 CB today. I think we will become better defensively once we get 2+ CBs back. What bad luck for Famewo to come back, only to injure himself 'just' doing a  drill in training
    I just hope that when our proper centre backs return, or we buy one or two new ones, that we don't play both Watson and Pratley in the same midfield. It just makes us so negative and slows the play down too much. 
  • Trying to think the last time we scored 5 at home. I can only think of the Cardiff match but we must have done it since then. 
    Think that was 4-0
  • Sponsored links:

• So much for trusting @happyvalley who only predicted four goals. So much for reading the whole of the ‘Where are the goals coming from?’ thread this morning. Never doubted we would score five today.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Redrobo said:
    DOUCHER said:
    first half poor, then chucks and williams come on - hopefully in the window we will bring more in that are at their level and be able to have a 90 minute threat 
    Are you sure you were watching our game?

Poor 10 minutes at the end of the 1st half, but we were exploiting space and creating chances. I thought Maddison played well, and tactically the front two splitting to the wings left their back three marking each other forcing their full backs to play as a back five. FC playing right side didn’t work for me, but we had clearly identified a weakness there and tried to exploit it all game.

Second half we were superb with most of our attacks coming down their left and Gunter took full advantage of the space, and what a game he had. Chucks outstanding and Williams busy. Comprehensive well deserved victory. Roll on Tuesday. COYR!
    there were a few decent performances first half but had we not brought chucks and williams on, we would not have won that game - our goal was a great individual effort but don't kid yourself that we looked like a good team first half coz we didn't. 
    But we did bring them on as that's what subs are for.

Also apart from the last 10 mins of the first half we looked quite comfortable and 10 times better than the team that got rolled over by MK Dons, so why the negativity?

Don't understand some people
    I'd argue that although we looked comfortable -  for the last 25 minutes of the first half we ended up getting trapped in the same patterns of play that has caused us issues over the last set of games. 

So it came as no surprise to me that Wimbledon nicked a goal. 

Second half though we looked so much more dynamic and fluid even before the subs came. I had a feeling we would get back into it especially with the quality we could bring in off the bench 

And that is a pretty fair analogy and I'd agree with your point of view.

I was mainly responding to Douchers comments as it sounds like he was watching a rerun of the MK Dons game
  • Wonder if any of the historians on here can answer this...

Is this the first time in our history that we have had three substitute goalscorers in a single game? 
  • DDOUBLEE said:

Now it's Gilbey's turn for the cryptic tweets...
    What a performance. A terrible one.
    Apart from one cross field ball he did not do anything bar pass back the way the ball came. Did even get his shirts dirty. At least Bogle works hard.
  • cafctom said:
    Wonder if any of the historians on here can answer this...

Is this the first time in our history that we have had three substitute goalscorers in a single game? 
    Already been asked but not answered.
  • Bloody hell, jumpers for goal posts, we were transported back to the 1970's, when that was a typical Charlton performance.

Hales, Flanagan, Powell, Peacock, Martin Robinson, banging the goals in one end.
    Les Berry, Jimmy Giles, Curtis, Warman and others, shipping them just as quick at the other end.

Aneke was absolutely brilliant. Unplayable.
    Williams was superb, his best game for Charlton after nearly 2.5 years.
    (Thank you Lee Bowyer for finally getting through to him & playing him in the danger zone).

Washington & JFC with arguably their best games.

All the defenders played well especially Pearce and a great goal line clearance from Gunter.

Maddison & Watson were decent.

Gilbey was gash and no sign of improving and Bogle is now making a bid for the worst forward in Charlton history. The whole game lifted & changed immediately when they were subbed.

I wouldn't start Bogle anymore, he's sooooo bad.

Maybe I'd play Washington up front and 5 in midfield or try something else, but Bogle's statuesque performances seem to be dragging the whole team down.
    Yup. 

And love the 70’s comparison. 
    Think that was 4-0
    It was. We also beat Scunthorpe 4-0
  • Just the performance the team and fans needed. Lots of sublime and keystone cops moments and the first time since lockdown I was out of my seat punching the air when Johnny got his first Valley goal. Bring on Tuesday 
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw a reference to Tom Allen on Sky, and I assumed it was a sports reporter with the same name as the ubiquitous comedian, but no!

He went to school in Chislehurst - Coopers - so maybe he's a fan?
  • I thought we were atrocious first half if I'm honest. Wimbledon just weren't good enough to take advantage of our sloppiness. Goal as excellently taken as it was by Connor was against the run of play

Second half we were brilliant, used the ball well, raised the intensity and deserved a few goals. Williams and Aneke showed what they have in their locker. 

I'm not making him a scapegoat but for me Gilbey is either playing with an injury, being played out of position or he isn't very good. 

• I know we can be an emotional lot, and many of us me included make snap judgements on what's going on, and that's the beauty of football - but some of the comments about Bowyer were embarrassing. 

• Off_it said:
    I saw a reference to Tom Allen on Sky, and I assumed it was a sports reporter with the same name as the ubiquitous comedian, but no!

He went to school in Chislehurst - Coopers - so maybe he's a fan?
    He is my mates mate (one of them turn outs!). Safe to say he isn’t a Charlton fan. 
  • edited December 2020
    The second half performance was excellent, reminiscent of the 18/19 play-off winning side, great intensity and purpose. We need to start games with that hunger. 
  • I’m still wondering ... where are the goals gonna come from ?!
    Not from Famewo & Innis.