Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v AFC Wimbledon | Sat 12 Dec | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v AFC Wimbledon
Saturday 12th December 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: David Rock (Hertfordshire)

Introduction
This forum is certainly well known by its Members ability to debate and discuss any number of topics. This last week has perhaps seen more discussion that describes our divisive fanbase, the failure to despatch Shrewsbury Town with Jonny Williams at the centre of attention the biggest talking point... This Saturday though its a chance to forget what has happened previously and start again fresh, after all matters off the pitch early this season could have seen us replicate one of two clubs in this Division; Wigan are the first of those, their administration woes as they wait for a takeover are a clear reminder of what Charlton fans have endured this past year!!... The second of those clubs is the team we face this weekend, worst case scenario we could easily have replicated AFC Wimbledon's journey back through the Football pyramid albeit under a new identity.

Of course as fans we should never settle for what we have at present, we should always strive for more... Russell Slade is my special guest this Match Preview, patience is key!!

The Opposition
Name: AFC Wimbledon (14th) | Manager: Glyn Hodges
Ground: Plough Lane
Previous Result: AFC Wimbledon 2-4 Bristol Rovers

Of course there is no need to go into the story behind AFC Wimbledon's formation, its a story that is sadly well known amongst the majority of football fans in this country... Of course the one fact about this team that might not be so obvious is that they've never ever been relegated, six promotions later and they're still around League One, although some fans from the Wirral would argue that they pushed their luck last time out.

Recent years have seen them struggling at this level, after all they are only fan owned, yet Wycombe Wanderers proved last term that fan owned teams can still aim higher and I believe that this could yet well be the case for AFC Wimbledon... This season alone the club have had reason to rejoice, many of course will argue that the two teams are different but Wimbledon finally has a Football club in the borough of Merton for the first time since 1991, the orginal Plough Lane is long gone, turned into flats, but on 3rd November that all changed with the newly built Plough Lane hosting a draw between themselves and Doncaster Rovers.

So why could things be slightly different for AFC Wimbledon? - Well not for one minute do I believe that this side could challenge for the Play-Offs, they appear to inconsistent with their results (beating Peterborough at Plough Lane this time last week, only to lose to struggling Bristol Rovers on Saturday) to mount a realistic challenge. In addition they remain closer to the drop (five points) than the Play-Offs (seven points), yet victory in SE7 on Saturday afternoon could very quickly change the dynamic of that... Joe Pigott will return to the club where he hopefully had many a happy year in the Academy, with ten goals (eight in the League) this term, is Joe finally showing the type of promise that prompted Chris Powell into giving him his League Cup debut?

Charlton Team News
Rotation, Rotation, Rotation... The words that appear to haunt the minds of any Charlton fans at the moment, the biggest grumble amongst the faithful at the moment is the fact that there is little consistency within the team, and thats before you get to the matter of Lee Bowyer speaking out about players, and is something that I'll leave well alone for this particular discussion.

Yet with a week of rest you could expect fewer changes than normal, yes we have a midweek encounter with Bristol Rovers coming up (so Bowyer will no doubt have one eye on that fixture), yet with this being the last empty midweek before the New Year its hopefully been a chance for the squad to work on some much needed togetherness rather than acting as individuals!! - That said, we should be able to welcome Marcus Maddison back after he missed the trip to Shropshire through illness, whilst Deji Oshilaja has now returned to the team after self-isolation... Ryan Inniss and Alfie Doughty remain absent from the squad with long term injury, whilst Dylan Levitt has finally been able to return to training after struggling with the after effects of COVID-19

Amos
Matthews | Famewo | Pearce | Maatsen
Morgan | Watson | Pratley
Maddison
Aneke | Washington

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Gunter | Gilbey | Purrington | Levitt | Bogle | Williams

Prediction
This Saturday is certainly going to be a difficult one to try and predict... Reports coming from Sparrows Lane seem to hint that its not a happy camp for once and that Lee Bowyer could well be feeling the strain for the first time in his Managerial career. Of course it was only a few weeks ago that a lot of us were preparing for life back in the Championship so its proof of how quickly fortunes can chance in this game. As we learnt under Curbishley, sometimes you need to strip it right back down and really return to basics to grind out results, games against AFC Wimbledon have never been pretty and I dont see Saturday being any different. Patience honestly remains the key, knee jerk reactions at this level and we could well be down here for longer than we'd like!!

Comments

• Options
    I am not happy with your review and team FA, mainly because this is the first time I have totally agreed with you, and you know what that means..........we both have it wrong, :)  Seriously, enjoyed reading it
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Williams should start but I think we all know that's not gonna happen.

Your team is what I'd go for (Except Jonny for Madds). No idea what Bow will do.
  • Options
    That team looks good.
  • Options
    Great preview @ForeverAddickted. Love the never been relegated fact, hadn’t actually realised that. 

Shinnie being back is a big deal. 

If we’re wanting 3 points from this game, I think we’ll need 2+ goals, as feels like an almost certainty that Pigott will score. 
  • Options
    Excellent preview. 

Something is not right in the state of Denmark Hill. 

That team is very strong so will never be seen this season. 

Lets focus on Bristol. 

Time to clean the oven again. 
  • Options
    Great preview @ForeverAddickted. Love the never been relegated fact, hadn’t actually realised that. 

If we’re wanting 3 points from this game, I think we’ll need 2+ goals, as feels like an almost certainty that Pigott will score. 
    Unfortunately this is the achilles heal of my previews

In terms of team fitness its all guess work as have no sources etc - I wont be surprised in the slightest if Shinnie is still absent

Hopefully we'll find out more when Bowyer does his press conference
  • Options

Unfortunately this is the achilles heal of my previews

In terms of team fitness its all guess work as have no sources etc - I wont be surprised in the slightest if Shinnie is still absent

Hopefully we'll find out more when Bowyer does his press conference
    Well, thanks for the needed mood boost even if only temporary. 
  • Options
    I also love that team ! Fitness allowing that's exactly what I would pick ( maybe swap pratley for Watson) if he is fit MM has to start we badly need some attacking creativity, give he a run of 3/4 games and see what he does
  • Options
    Never before has the fan base needed a preview thread to read so badly! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice review

In your section about AFC, I assume you mean that Wimbledon are back in Merton rather than Kington-upon-thames
  • Options
    Nice review

In your section about AFC, I assume you mean that Wimbledon are back in Merton rather than Kington-upon-thames
    Cheers Killer, have updated that little bit
  • Options
    I like the look of that team. 

I would give aneke and bogle time up top together because that is one area where we are very very predictable 
  • Options
    No pace in that midfield. Purrington at left back and Maatsen left wing  or left side of the diamond.
  • Options
    Like the look of that team but sadly i expect to see yet another pedestrian midfield setup with both Watson and Pratley.
  • Options
    1-0 either way would seem to be smart bet.
  • Options
    1-0 win. Back to basic and make sure we get the 3 points
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    You just know he's gonna start Pratley and Watson again. 
  • Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    I totally agree with the team you have picked. I just hope Bowyer does as well.
    Unfortunately I think he will go with both Pratley and Watson which in my opinion is wrong.
    With Forever s team we will win 3.1
    If it's Pratley and Watson  it's a 1 1 draw.
  • Options
    If we get to see FA’s predicted line-up I’ll be happy.

No mid-week game will have given them a bit of a mental and emotional recharge regardless of any supposed bad feeling at SL.

Onwards to Saturday and a good chance for 3 points. COYA.

• Options
    Another great preview mate. 
    I believe this game will tell us a few things that some have eluded to in regards to possible fractions appearing at the club, and possibly LB’s state of mind. 

If he does indeed go for another defensive line up with Prats and Watson in midfield, I can only see another defeat or draw. That will be an interesting post match interview, let’s see how LB handles himself this week. 

I hope he’s had a kind word said in his ear regarding his ‘honest’ opinions being told to the media post match. 

If we play to win with a line up that has creativity, we will get the 3 points. We can now put out a solid defence, hopefully shinnie and Maddison start, I’d put chuks and Bogle up top to get them on the end of MM’s deliveries. 

It obviously goes without saying we need to win this. IMHO LB may feel he is under perceived pressure, I don’t believe he is, but another rant about players will do serious  damage to squad harmony twice on the bounce. 

That said, if the players are willing to respond to him positively, we should win this. We have the quality. 

3-1. MM to get his first league goal, a bogle header and shinnie to seal it. 
  • Options
    If we go with that team, we win 2-0 . however i doubt it will look that balanced and well on paper come saturday so i'll go for a negative this week 1-1 . but the hope and expectation we should be winning this game. 
  • Options
    Good preview and suggested team FA but I doubt it will happen. Instead we will get Pratley & Watson in midfield and our only form of attack will be lumping the ball to Bogle and/or Aneke and my guess is that the Wombles will have some capable tall defenders, so that won't work.
    If we play your line up we have a chance 2-1
    If we play the geriatric midfield option 0-1
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Whilst your team looks decent and is exactly what I expect to see FA, I don't want to see it. 

I want to see a classic 4-4-2, full backs staying defensive, only pushing up so far as to support midfield, let the creative wingers be creative. 

Amos
    Maddison | Watley | Shinnie | Williams
    Aneke | Washington

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Gunter | Pratson | Purrington | Morgan | Gilbey | Bogle

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Whilst your team looks decent and is exactly what I expect to see FA, I don't want to see it. 

I want to see a classic 4-4-2, full backs staying defensive, only pushing up so far as to support midfield, let the creative wingers be creative. 

Amos
    Maddison | Watley | Shinnie | Williams
    Aneke | Washington

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Gunter | Pratson | Purrington | Morgan | Gilbey | Bogle

I don’t think Williams is a winger. I would rather see Purrington with Maatsen in front.

Who is Watley or is that Pratley autocorrected or Watson?