Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Another big handicap where Le Breuil bowls along then drops anchor a few furlongs from home but somehow finishes like a train in the final few hundred yards. At least I didn't back him today! Surely he will win a decent race again at some point but it won't be the National off ~140
    Bit harsh to say he dropped anchor IMHO (you must be confusing him with the fella carrying my wedge :'( ).
    The way I saw Le B's run, it simply confirmed he lacks any change of gear and he got outpaced when it began to hot up down the back.
    I thought it showed a good attitude the way he kept on tbh and you can see why he won the 4-miler on testing ground. Was the only one not slowing down after the last and would have hauled them if there were another 1/2 furlong. Wind op may have helped but his engine's lacking sadly.
    Obviously would need it soft if he ever gets a tilt at the biggie but, as you say, he won't get in off 140.
    I'd have thought the Midlands National would be perfect for him and, if so, that could put him on a mark to protect (from falling!) for next time.
  • Options
    Dont know anything about horse racing even though my sister has shares in 3 race horses, and knows almost everything about all aspects of the racing game, it would be you peanuts I would turn too if I needed to know anything about putting my pound on.

Welcome back. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Dont know anything about horse racing even though my sister has shares in 3 race horses, and knows almost everything about all aspects of the racing game, it would be you peanuts I would turn too if I needed to know anything about putting my pound on.

Welcome back. 
    Thanks @Chippycafc
    Very kind of you but, in truth, I'm very much a one-trick pony. Away from the GN fences and marathon handicaps, there are much smarter cookies among Addicks posting here.
    I follow them 95% of the time.
    But I appreciate the thought and hope you enjoy this year's GN musings, even if some of the antepost plots have proved to be raspberries.
  • Options
    Just placed my first ante post/trading bets for the National. Cloth Cap and The Conditional both at 25/1
  • Options
    Another big handicap where Le Breuil bowls along then drops anchor a few furlongs from home but somehow finishes like a train in the final few hundred yards. At least I didn't back him today! Surely he will win a decent race again at some point but it won't be the National off ~140
    Bit harsh to say he dropped anchor IMHO (you must be confusing him with the fella carrying my wedge :'( ).
    The way I saw Le B's run, it simply confirmed he lacks any change of gear and he got outpaced when it began to hot up down the back.
    I thought it showed a good attitude the way he kept on tbh and you can see why he won the 4-miler on testing ground. Was the only one not slowing down after the last and would have hauled them if there were another 1/2 furlong. Wind op may have helped but his engine's lacking sadly.
    Obviously would need it soft if he ever gets a tilt at the biggie but, as you say, he won't get in off 140.
    I'd have thought the Midlands National would be perfect for him and, if so, that could put him on a mark to protect (from falling!) for next time.
    Yes you're probably right, maybe not dropping anchor quite but he does seem to get to the point in these races 3/4/5 from home when some kick to press on and he's often caught one paced until his last spurt in final couple of hundred yards. I always had him down as having more class than a plodding stayer but maybe that's his forte. Good shout on the Midlands National.

Was surprised to see Walk In The Mill so flat with the headgear.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Just placed my first ante post/trading bets for the National. Cloth Cap and The Conditional both at 25/1
    Nice one Killer. 

Distinctly mixed results from my ante post manoeuvres. A couple of duds to be unwound but at least I’m on a couple of my model’s current top-ratings at nice prices.
    Obviously still lots of wood to chop but, having run the slide rule over about 60 likely runners, as things stand right now the top 4 for me (covering a range of going prefs by happy coincidence) are:

Magic Of Light at 33/1
    Kimberlite Candy (top selection if Soft) 40/1
    Cloth Cap 20/1
    Crosspark 66/1

If it were to come up Soft (but only if), I’d definitely keep/add to my trading position on Yala Enki .

Lots of moving parts still though, obviously.
  • Options
    Kimberlite Candy is my 50/50 haven’t got a clue what to do horse at the moment.My head is having a yes/no row at the moment and neither are winning!!!!!
  • Options
    Very, very impressive PM!
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Cheers @meldrew66
    You're very kind.
    Looks good on the drawing board but, as always, the best laid plans can go ........

:) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Cheers @meldrew66
    You're very kind.
    Looks good on the drawing board but, as always, the best laid plans can go ........

:) 
    Of course, I recognise that you can't legislate for one horse bringing another one down at the GN but your model is, effectively, based on fact and not opinion. The incredible recent success of the horses who fit your 'model' speaks for itself. I, for one, am right behind you PM.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Cheers @meldrew66
    Much appreciate your vote of confidence.

Facts yes, though there’s always a large element of subjectivity as to how one defines the parameters of a stat model. My GN model’s been profitable for me for 12 out of the 14 years I’ve used it (hence I keep anoraking away) but it’s always been (and I’m certain always will be) work in progress. Sadly still no Ferrari in my garage. 

Tbh, the biggest kick for me comes when one of it’s “wilder” picks brings home the bacon, even if just making the frame.

On which subject, buckle up boys and girls. The handicapper having obliged with a drop in his mark, there's a serious outsider that’s burst into contention.

Has the GN as his stated target, is sure to make the cut and, if he gets decent ground, is now rated by my model as "strong place potential" (2 fails of the Overlay tests is fine, providing it’s a decent surface, though suggests winning's a stretch). 

If you thought Crosspark was funky, try this fella for size. Beginning to wonder if my model’s got a virus    :*

Minellacelebration - 100/1 
    • stayed on strongly to win the Listed Summer Cup over 26f at Uttoxeter last July
    • never tried beyond 26.5f but related to classy stayer (twice Whitbread winner) Ad Hoc and Ryalux, strong-finishing winner of the Scottish National on his first try beyond 25f. Has Wild Risk on his damside.
    • very much a spring horse (has 62.5% win and 75% frame-making rate in 8 chases Apr~July, compared to 22% wins and 33% frame-making in other months) 
    • loves flat, left handed tracks, especially Aintree - form reads 1211 over the Mildmay course. Was unlucky to unseat on the flat early in the Becher last December but had jumped and travelled well for a long way on ground too soft a year earlier
    • handles any ground (won from Good to Heavy) but a sound surface would suit best
    • 2 wins from 5 runs this season (forget 2 subsequent URs - both misfortune), he's "as hard as nails" according to regular pilot Ben Poste and, ignoring those 2 URs and a BD, has a 95% completion rate in 44 chases, hurdles and PtPs (never PU'd) 
    • the 11yo has just been dropped to OR148 by the handicapper (6lbs below his career high RPR154, set in October over the Mildmay course) and would carry just 10.04 if the topweight runs off 168.
    His record in the spring is key to his chances, from my model's perspective, and if he has a prep over fences within a month of the big day, he'd need to confirm that spring form (and thereby his serious contender rating) by making the frame. That said, an earlier spin (just after the weights) might tee him up best for 10 April, as he's won 4 of last 5 runs after a >50 day break. 

The problem with using a stat-model is weighing up whether or not to take an early price when significant stats are liable to change. But, Bet365 are the only firm offering 100/1 (he’s 66s elsewhere and only 40s with SkyBet) so, as the stake is modest, I've made him the 5th bet on my antepost slip. I just don’t want to miss the chance of screaming at the telly as a 100/1 shot carrying my shilling goes over the last upsides, just like Vic Canvas did a few years back.

And it would be a good old-fashioned GN fairy story for his yard if he were to run a biggy. 

Agh, it’ll probably come to nowt but hey ho. One can but dream.

• Options
    Good enough rationale for me; £5 e/w with bet365 @ 100-1 it is then. Will you be able to hear my screams from Sunny Orpington?
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Good enough rationale for me; £5 e/w with bet365 @ 100-1 it is then. Will you be able to hear my screams from Sunny Orpington?
    I'd probably hear them in John O' Groats   :smile:

Here's hoping!!
  • Options

I see there are other 'Minella' horses running. They always seem to do well, don't they?!

So, list of bets placed so far for the GN are:

1. Minella Celebration

2. Native River

3. Milan Native

4. Walk in the Mill

Watch Crosspark go and win it on that basis!

• Options
    Walk In The Mill retired. Had some great spins around Aintree but looked like he didn't want anything to do with Warwick last week. Good to see prompt action as he deserves his pasture.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Interesting comment from Nicholls after Yala Enki duly won (as he should have at the weights) back to back Portman Cups at Taunton yesterday:

"Where we'll go now I don't know, the trouble is he likes plenty of cut and we'll focus on soft ground. I'd love to see him in a Scottish National one day on really soft ground, but at the back end of the season you're never guaranteed that."

Why not, "I'd love to see him in a GN on really soft ground"? He was an intended runner a year ago, when Nicholls expressed optimism about him handling Aintree-style GS and the fact is (unsurprisingly as they're earlier in April) that there have been more GNs (2 of the last 4) run on Soft than Scottish versions in recent years. 
    May be his first fence departure in the Becher (on favoured Soft) has deterred connections from risking him again at Aintree even on Soft? It was only YE's 2nd F/UR in 32 chases, so no doubt a big disappointment.  
    Entries should be out this week and while I expect they'll give him a GN entry to keep options open, I've closed out my positions on YE in case he's a surprise omission.
    I'd still want him on my ticket e/w on Soft if he were to run and wouldn't be overly worried about that Becher mishap. Plenty of GN winners and near-missers (pre- and post-fence changes) have tipped up on earlier attempts over the fences (most recently, Pineau de Re tipped up on his debut over them before winning the big one on his next attempt in 2014) and Nicholls would have schooled him over Aintree-style fences if he were to let him take his chance.

Magic Of Light ran well enough to finish 2nd in the mares hurdle at Ascot, beaten by the much superior Roksana. No surprise at the weights and still nicely on track for another tilt at the biggy.
  • Options
    Interesting comment from Nicholls after Yala Enki duly won (as he should have at the weights) back to back Portman Cups at Taunton yesterday:

"Where we'll go now I don't know, the trouble is he likes plenty of cut and we'll focus on soft ground. I'd love to see him in a Scottish National one day on really soft ground, but at the back end of the season you're never guaranteed that."

Why not, "I'd love to see him in a GN on really soft ground"? He was an intended runner a year ago, when Nicholls expressed optimism about him handling Aintree-style GS and the fact is (unsurprisingly as they're earlier in April) that there have been more GNs (2 of the last 4) run on Soft than Scottish versions in recent years. 
    May be his first fence departure in the Becher (on favoured Soft) has deterred connections from risking him again at Aintree even on Soft? It was only YE's 2nd F/UR in 32 chases, so no doubt a big disappointment.  
    Entries should be out this week and while I expect they'll give him a GN entry to keep options open, I've closed out my positions on YE in case he's a surprise omission.
    I'd still want him on my ticket e/w on Soft if he were to run and wouldn't be overly worried about that Becher mishap. Plenty of GN winners and near-missers (pre- and post-fence changes) have tipped up on earlier attempts over the fences (most recently, Pineau de Re tipped up on his debut over the GN fences before winning the big one on his next attempt in 2014) and Nicholls would have schooled him over Aintree-style fences if he were to take him chance.

Magic Of Light ran well enough to finish 2nd in the mares hurdle at Ascot, beaten by the much superior Roksana. No surprise at the weights and still nicely on track for another tilt at the biggy.
    Yala Enki’s owner was interviewed on tv yesterday. Said he wasn’t a National man but would see what the trainer says. 
    Does seem strange not to want to go to Aintree.
  • Options

I'd still want him on my ticket e/w on Soft if he were to run and wouldn't be overly worried about that Becher mishap. Plenty of GN winners and near-missers (pre- and post-fence changes) have tipped up on earlier attempts over the fences (most recently, Pineau de Re tipped up on his debut over the GN fences before winning the big one on his next attempt in 2014) and Nicholls would have schooled him over Aintree-style fences if he were to take him chance.

Yala Enki’s owner was interviewed on tv yesterday. Said he wasn’t a National man but would see what the trainer says. 
    Does seem strange not to want to go to Aintree.
    Thanks for that @alan dugdale
    I'd missed that - was too switched onto Scotty, Curbs and Brownie for their very entertaining pre-match chinwag.
    Maybe like Native River's owners - just not wanting to risk their fellas. I can understand it and, though it was always a dream of mine to have a GN runner, it would probably have meant divorce    :*

• Options
    You may only get one chance in your life at a Grand National runner Peanuts but always a chance of a second or even more wives..............................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You may only get one chance in your life at a Grand National runner Peanuts but always a chance of a second or even more wives..............................

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Evening folks.
    A few likely Irish contenders for Aintree glory squelched their way round a soggy Gowran Park yesterday in the Thyestes, though none with any incentive to draw the attention the handicapper this side of the GN weights-framing.
    So nothing particular to note from the runs of Acapella Bourgeois and Class Conti (who at least made an effort to get involved), Any Second Now and Alpha Des Obeaux (who didn't).
    The impressive winner, 6 yo Coko Beach, too young to run this year anyway, is NH Chase bound.
    Burrows Saint has a similarly unremarkable trot round in a hurdle on the same card.

Tomorrow's Cotswold Chase, which might have seen some English contenders in action, alas has been lost to waterlogging.

Which leaves us with the SkyBet chase at Donny, forecast to be run on Soft (though it rarely gets deep there) and there are several who may have Aintree as their ultimate target.

Former Scottish National winner, 12 yo Takingrisks, and up and comer 8 yo Cap Du Nord (hot favourite for tomorrow, based on his recent second to Royale Pagaille and being 3lb well-in) could both have Aintree in their sights. But, regardless of how they fare, they (and topweight Mister Malarky, despite being from the family of GN 2nd Just So and 4th Dubacilla) are unlikely to have the stat-profiles to make my team.

But 2 others in the 13 strong field very well may:

Aye Right (15/2 tomorrow; 33/1 for the GN)

2nd to Cloth Cap in November's Hennessy (and running off just 1lb higher is currently weighted on level terms on paper with Cloth Cap), a win or near-miss tomorrow could (depending on not prompting too big a hike in the handicap) secure the front-running and strong-jumping 8yo a strong place potential stat-rating for April (at least on decent ground). 

Give Me A Copper
    (16/1 tomorrow; 50/1 for the GN)

The 11 yo son of Presenting is having his second run after a wind op (ran very impressively on return after 357 days to near-miss at Donny in Dec on GS; raised 3lbs for that). Just needs a safe spin to confirm his contending stat-rating for the GN (though, again, assuming no serious handicap raise and decent ground in April.

Should be a belter.
  • Options
    Interesting you flag up Aye Right Peanuts. I'm not sure he'll be going to Aintree reading the latest comments from Harriet Graham. If he did, his progressive trajectory is quite taking even though the trip is uncharted territory. It's hard to believe he was 100/1 in a 10 runner RSA chase less than a year ago.
  • Options
    Interesting you flag up Aye Right Peanuts. I'm not sure he'll be going to Aintree reading the latest comments from Harriet Graham. If he did, his progressive trajectory is quite taking even though the trip is uncharted territory. It's hard to believe he was 100/1 in a 10 runner RSA chase less than a year ago.
    Many thanks @ISawLeaburnScore
    I should have made it clear that we’re still awaiting entries (due imminently, with the weights set to be announced on 16 Feb).
    We’re still antepost (not Non-Runner No Bet) so, as you highlight, need to be careful about intentions.
    I’m just putting the slide rule over those that have the CV and mark to make it a credible target - some are definitely intended, others unknown and Aye Right is indeed one of the latter.
    I’ve seen Harriet quoted as saying the race tomorrow is a good prep for “the Nationals” in the spring and she mooted the Scottish, so maybe they’ll give Aintree a swerve. We’ll see.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    ...... and a belter it was indeed. Aye Right ran a blinder before just being reeled in by the redoubtable Takingrisks.
    Good enough to make Aye Right very interesting indeed if he does go to Aintree (on the small side maybe but the way he jumps and travels, strikes me as the perfect type for the Aintree spruce) and the ground is GS or thereabouts but the presumption seems to be that Ayr is preferred.
    Fitzy and Ruby hold the same view as me re the GN being the better target and current 33s is very appealing but sadly not as an antepost bet, so it's a watch and wait for GN entries and NRNB.
    Give Me A Copper needs a sound surface (as do many sons of Presenting) and struggled from halfway on tacky and unusually testing ground for Donny. Still very much flashing away on the radar screen for Aintree, providing the rain stops, and should have a lb or two less to carry now. 
    Takingrisks is such an likeable, stout stayer but, aside from being a tad long in the tooth at 12, just doesn't tick enough of the stat-boxes for a GN. 
  • Options
    Do you think Aye Right would have won today had his jockey not dropped his whip about two out.
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    Do you think Aye Right would have won today had his jockey not dropped his whip about two out.
    I missed that - good spot. Could well have made a diff.
    Sort of wish you hadn't told me that @Bournesnr  - missing the win component of my e/w cost me £240  :'(   
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Bournesnr said:
    I missed that - good spot. Could well have made a diff.
    Sort of wish you hadn't told me that @Bournesnr  - missing the win component of my e/w cost me £240  :'(   
    My stake was half yours then! 

I think the whip drop makes a big difference looking at the strikes and impact on Takingrisks after the last. I'll try to take the positives... Aye Right is going to win a big'un at some point and perhaps another gallant defeat might hide a bit from the handicapper. One to follow for sure as an each way steady eddie but just as you suggest, he's not an Ante Post prospect.

Out of interest Peanuts - do you think it's your revamped model that gives him a squeak when your previous model(s) wouldn't have? 7 chase starts only one win including an unseat and never running over more than 3m 2f would put many off...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Brilliant insight as ever @PeanutsMolloy

I am intrigued that your stat model is bringing to life the popular assessment that the race has fundamentally changed and the more forgiving obstacles now give materially more chance to horses carrying a higher weight and/or those who are progressive chasers. Sweeping generalisation but I remember the "old" model putting up more experienced types with an emphasis on course or marathon trip form whereas the revisions now bring up potentially more classy types and seemingly look for a broader range of qualities; and are more forgiving of the negatives without putting a line through. The 8 year old comment is particularly telling after the last 5 years or so. Have to say I find the tinkering with your model fascinating.