Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Mumford at Bromley Addicks on 17 December

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Would have like to have attended but I’m apolitical :-)

Seriously, Thanks very much for the write up, from that it feels very encouraging. Did he come across well? 
  • Options
    part three

WM's role

"TS is the owner and CEO, He's the boss and I report to him.  Tony Keohane runs operations which is good as he's a details man, Emma is great in finance and Tom heads up Comms"

"Got lots of long serving staff, nobody seems to leave.  When staff got their hampers from TS some of them were in tears. They've not had a present from the boss for a long time.  All the staff got them, including academy kids, maybe as many as 300.

"The tears show the respect for TS but also how bad it was for them before, it was tough for them before so have to give them great credit"

Valley Pass upgrade

No me, it was the Comms team which is still only the same three people (Olly, George and Tom) so when they are doing all the TV stuff they still have to do all the normal stuff like interviews and twitter etc etc but all pulling together.

Shop

Still outsourced to Hummel for this season and next and club will honour that contract as right thing to do.  Thinks there is too much clothing and too much of the same stuff in the shop but thinks Hummel are good partners (WM spoke a lot about partners, clearly he views sponsors, suppliers etc as partners not just cash cows. Personally I though this was interesting and key to his thinking).  WM said that Hummel haven't been given feedback or guidance on the shop from the club previously so left to do their own thing but will now so it can get better.

Kits

Likes Hummel as they are flexible and bespoke.  He went to their offices last week and looked at the new kits for next year which were picked by fans.  TS liked the same kit as the fans did.   Hummel will run the shop, as above, and do the kit next year.

Commercial Aims

In league 1 so not going to be atracting millions and millions but getting lots of people calling him to get involved.  Aim is to build the brand.  CACT is premier league but CAFC don't talk about it enough.  It fits very well with TS's values as TS has his Sandgaard Foundation and CACT and their work is close to his heart. Jason Morgan, CACT CEO, has lots of contacts at high levels.  WM did an EDI ( Equality, Diversity and Inclusion) course with CACT last week and was impressed.

Commercially we need to stop going to just the same well (the same local sponsors/firms as we have for ten plus years)  Not a criticism of commercial staff but encouraging them to think wider.  Want sponsors who we maybe don't have an existing connection with and have a global appeal.  CACT and their work will be key to that.

Sponsors name at the Valley

"I'd be strung up from a lamppost by fans if that was the first thing I did was change the name of the Valley"  "No, it's not on the radar"

Love this, must be amazing for them after Roland and ESI.

Roland didn't even give the academy kids bottled water!!
  • Options
    Thank god they managed to blag their way into Sparrows Lane.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Would have like to have attended but I’m apolitical :-)

Seriously, Thanks very much for the write up, from that it feels very encouraging. Did he come across well? 
    I think he did, positive but not over promising and not full of marketing bullshit like "sweat the asset". 

Plenty of other lifers there who don't take sides : - ) who can maybe say more as I find it more difficult when asking the questions and trying to memorise all the answers for CL.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Sweat the asset was the oft repeated phrase.

Edit: Thanks for the write up Henry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thanks for the write up Henry, interesting stuff. 300+ hampers, fair play to Thomas for that.
  • Options
    With the talk about India and China sounds like we could see link ups with clubs around the world set up over the next few years.

We did a lot of that in the Prem years, though this feels more commercial - getting people watching Valley Pass, buying shirts etc rather than bringing in promising young players. Big difference is Valley Pass wasn’t around back then, so it’s a new opportunity to make the most of.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Part Five

Zynex expanding into Europe

TS doesn't speak much to WM about his business but TS not maximised the market in the US as yet and that is the aim.  Never said anything to WM about the UK or Europe

Sparrows Lane

There are improvements already such as a cryno-chamber and what looks like a dentist chair to test muscle strains (cost £25 TS said on Tuesday).

Also two big portable offices going up as we speak but obviously don't want to spend on permanent building when we don't own the ground.  TS agreed to the rental deal as it needed to happen to prevent club going into admin. Not perfect couldn't hang around. TS will make it the best it can be and may sit down with RD again to see if a deal can be done.

The training ground needs to be the best it can be and the players need better facilities. Aim is Category 1 Academy and Ged Roddy is very comfortable around all of that.

Met with the University of Greenwich (who are next door) this week around using some of their space and equipment which is very good and could be a good link up.

India

Looking at a partnership with a big Indian club with 40m followers. Indian football is on the rise.  Not so much about getting players from them although that might come later but things like summer schools using the Uni of Greenwich dorms for language classes, football training and work of CACT.

WM wants to partner (that word again) with people who bring value and yes we might sell some shirts in India too.  

It's been a long time since we were in the Premier League and things have changed, especially around social media.  China is a huge potential market but we have to get our platforms (social media like instagram, Valley Pass, Wechat, Webo) up to standard so we are ready.  IE Zheng Zhi doing a short film about his time at Charlton, which he speaks glowingly about. Still playing and still a big name out there with 8m followers on social media

Streams

We sell about 4K at home 3.5k away, TS wants 27k! Fleetwood sell 350.  We see the league table and we'd be 4th or 5th in the Championship.   If we want to build internationally (and that was another recurring theme) then the old Valley pass wasn't going to cut it.

England have the test series in India next year. Happy to go over there and wear my Charlton merchandise throughout the series to support the brand. 
    Dam decent offer and I am prepared to join you.

I am also prepared to travel the Caribbean next winter promoting our brand on beaches and bars.
    Put me down for The Seychelles.😉😉😉
  • Options
    I'm doing Colorado in June.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When are we getting LED advertising boards then? 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    no idea, wasn't mentioned.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    when we have enough sponsors to warrant changing boards
  • Options
    Cheers Ben, appreciated 
  • Options
    Interesting that we want to build up football links with India

If only there was a player who has played for us, but also played in the Indian Super League...

Didn't Bikey go there for a bit as well?
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Interesting that we want to build up football links with India

If only there was a player who has played for us, but also played in the Indian Super League...

Didn't Bikey go there for a bit as well?

I was working on India and watched a match (on TV) where Johnson played against Bikey - clash of Titans. 
  • Options

That's all folks, flowers, hampers, promotes all welcome

Next meeting in January with, hopefully, Darren "Football Genius" Pratley and Ben "Midfield General" Watson

People saying Prats and Watson are too slow together.

Though I'm sure they'll cover a lot of ground.