Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Gallen at Bromley Addicks

Comments

• Options
    Does Gallen think we'll try again with Schwarz or did he hint that it was a deal they'd leave now what with the player turning us down on Deadline Day
    He didn't say it was dead but only mentioned his named when asked
  • Options
    Thanks @Henry Irving for the write up. Gallen comes across very well and fills me with confidence

• Options
    Thanks for that @Henry Irving , really interesting.
  • Options
    Thanks for the write up. Very interesting role at the club, SG does a lot more than I thought he did. Sounds like we are lucky to have someone like him at Charlton.
  • Options
    Great stuff

The job never ends really, especially with the shorter gap between the summer and January windows this season

ANY of the 5 loan player could be recalled (or indeed sent back by us), players can go down injured in key positions, other clubs may come in with bids we can't turn down in January, so you have to have potential replacements lined up.
  • Options
    Thanks for that @Henry Irving , really interesting. Gallen is a real asset  and so glad he decided to stay.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thanks Henry. Very interesting snippets there.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    aliwibble said:
    Thanks for that @Henry Irving , really interesting.

And thanks @aliwibble for you know what :- )
  • Options
    Part four

On the January window

Two positions but wasn't saying which.

He also needs to make sure Famewo and Maatsen are happy as could lose them. Speaks to them, their agents and their clubs all the time.  Also praised the work @Tracey does in keeping the players happy as part of her job.

Relationships with others a big thing for SG.  Big friends with Dougie Freeman at Palace who did us a great favour with Inniss so he stays in with him and lots of others.

He has a big list of people who could come in. No unrealistic ones but 3 or 4 for every position but it changes depending on circumstances and our changing needs ie if loanees get recalled 
    NB  He didn't say they will or are likely to be recalled, only that he needs to be prepared in case they are as with Gallagher who "people no longer at the club could have kept"

LB has final say on players and will say no, that's the manager's decision.

SG said that was sure Kieffer Moore would have been great for us but Karl Robinson thought he was useless so he had to accept that.

Asked where he got his "brilliant negotiating skills" as described by Sandgaard he said he learnt from his mistakes which thankfully no one found out.

His main thing is that he never promises what he can't deliver whether than is money or playing time.  He also makes sure that a player knows that the club and the manager want him as that's what he and most players want to hear.

He had said earlier that his philosophy is "What is the best thing for the club, for the player and last for me?"   He doesn't want whats best for him or the player like some agents.

He said some agents are fine and just want the best for their clients and he says that he's also an agent but working for Charlton rather than a player.

He added that on his negotiating skills he's also done a Level 4 qualification in Leadership in football which he said was very good and included a module on negotiation.

SG has also done his pro licence as had Jason Euell and Jacko is doing it.  Bowyer has done his A licence and SG is trying to get him to do his pro licence so SG thinks we're a well educated team.

In response to a question about how to become a director of football he said go on FA courses on scouting and other areas, not just for the qualification but for the networking with other football people who you can learn so much from.
    Martin Sandgaard has said we’ll be getting a very high profile loan signing in attacking midfield. Bigger profile than Maatsen apparently. 

Also strongly hinted Ronnie Schwartz will be signed, as well as Famewo likely going back. 
  • Options
    It was very difficult knowing about the embargo but not being able to say although Bowyer was tempted to say it pubically a few times.
    The mind boggles.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I would have thought Simms would be far more likely to go on loan to a northern club and possibly in the Championship, before going to a L1 London club, but of course I have no idea in truth.
    https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league-2-div-1/top-goal-scorers.html
  • Options
    Great reporting, Henry and many thanks for taking the time to do so. 

I know that @killerjerrylee thinks very highly of Steve and I can understand his reasons now. 

Let's hope we can hold onto him .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If there are any Bromley Addicks Members out there who did not get notified by me then send me an email ( as Henry says above ) to tony.warran@btinternet.com.
    I keep a membership list but if you never come to meetings and/or never reply to any emails you might have dropped off.
    Happy to stick you back on the list and keep you informed in the future .
  • Options
    Thanks for that @Henry Irving , very interesting , your efforts much appreciated.
  • Options
    Really interesting read.

Thank you Henry and others. Much appreciated.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for write up Henry much appreciated, do we know why Amis was at the training ground everyday ? Obviously not coaching so what was he doing there ?
  • Options
    Thanks for write up Henry, do we know why Amis was at the training ground everyday ? Obviously not coaching so what was he doing there ?
    I would guess, seeing which players we could sell quickly - and turnover the cash?

• Options
    Part seven

Best deal?

Bonne. To buy him for £200k and get ten times that is good but Emma Parker in CAFC accounts pointed out in the summer how important the Grant and Gomez deal add ons where and kept us going as big payments based on Grant and Gomez appearances.

Where will we be in five years?

Difficult to predict. QPR spent millions to get to the Prem but are still 15th or 18th in the Championship.

Want to get out of league 1 with two years. Top six this year, then promotion next year (HE'S NOT SAYING HE DOESN'T WANT OR DOESN'T THINK WE CAN GO UP THIS SEASON!)

Then stabilise like Preston and Spanners in Championship, building slowly, then we can look up.  That's the way SG thinks is the way to do it, through stability.

--------------------- 

That's all folks but I'm sure I've forgotten or missed somethings.  Feel free to add what I've missed.

Big shout out to @Tracey for arranging and for sharing a little about the goings on at the club this years which really belong on the shenanigans thread.
    I appreciated when you added your thoughts in bold to stop people freaking out or second guessing their thoughts - you second guessed mine I have to admit. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Thanks for write up Henry much appreciated, do we know why Amis was at the training ground everyday ? Obviously not coaching so what was he doing there ?
    Thinking he’s incredibly important and trying to give off that impression is my guess, when he’s only just as much of a mug as the other characters, other than Southall, he’s in a special muggy world of his own.
    Trying to see if he could get someone to actually call him "vice-Chairman" the bullshit title he invented for himself.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Thinking he’s incredibly important and trying to give off that impression is my guess, when he’s only just as much of a mug as the other characters, other than Southall, he’s in a special muggy world of his own.
    Trying to see if he could get someone to actually call him "vice-Chairman" the bullshit title he invented for himself.
    I didn’t even know Amis was vice chairman!!

Did he clean the windows on the range rovers!