Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ipswich v Charlton | Sat 28 Nov | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Oggy Red said:

I'm thinking back to Jonny Williams scoring for Wales, and Ryan Giggs saying that he played him as a 'false 9'.
    Now to me, a false 9 is actually a '10' with no central striker in front of him ........ but with an advanced striker either side.

So ..... Joniesta is the 10/false 9 with Washo and Little Smyth either side and advanced of him.

Fuck me that's me confused. If it works on Ipswich as well as it worked on me I say do it.
  • Options
    1-2 to Charlton.
    I think we may see a great reaction after Tuesday.
    Mind you IO won't be putting money on it.
  • Options
    Here's a more realistic formation 

Amos
    Matthews - Gunter - Pratley - Maatsen
    Watson 
    Morgan - Shinnie
    Maddison
    Washington - Bogle

Not the prettiest side we'll play but I think they'd do a job. Given Ipswich's crossing in their last game I'd gamble on a narrower formation.
  • Options
    Can Matthews play 3 games in a week? I'm sure I read somewhere that he is yet another one that needs to be 'nursed.'
  • Options
    The makeshift central defence did a good job in its first game, lacked a bit in the second and dreadful in the third.

That is not unexpected and the opposition do their homework.

It would prefer to see a back 4 of Gunter Barker Pearce Purrington for this game. If Pearce isn't ready for 90 minutes then with five subs he could be swapped at half time with either Purrington moving inside or Pratley as a direct replacement. Maatsen could do with a rest and Matthews has probably been overplayed sonce his arrival.

I'd also prefer to see Maddison and Gilbey on the bench, perhaps starting with Jonny Williams at the head of a diamond.

Despite the injuries, we do have choices this time round. Anyone know how JFC is getting on?
  • Options
    2-2
  • Options
    Can’t see a win,  those last two performances have been utter junk and I’m still not seeing any real sign of a performance improvement from the midfield or attackers who should be with the game time and fitness that they’ve been getting .
    3-1 to the tractor boys 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Here's a more realistic formation 

Amos
    Matthews - Gunter - Pratley - Maatsen
    Watson 
    Morgan - Shinnie
    Maddison
    Washington - Bogle

Not the prettiest side we'll play but I think they'd do a job. Given Ipswich's crossing in their last game I'd gamble on a narrower formation.
    For me Pearce has to start and maybe Maatsen could do with a rest. I'd even consider playing Barker as he's never let us down.
    I wouldn't mind going with an old fashioned 442 if the personnel is right.

Amos
    Gunter - Barker/Pratley - Pearce - Purrington
                            Watson
                     Shinnie
    Smyth                                    Maddison
                 Aneke       Washington
  • Options
    I'd like to see Purrington and Maatson in the team together it could add a real threat going forward on the left and work well defensively.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I predict a victory for us we'll lose so instead I'll go for 3-1 to the Tractor Boys and hope for something better.

If we don't go more direct we'll struggle.
  • Options
    Not usually any good with starting line-ups, but IF Bows is telling the truth about Pearce & Oshilaja AND has had enough of Bogle & Maddison then I think we could line up as follows......

Amos
      Mathews   Gunter   Pratley    Purrington
    Morgan Shinnie  Watson Williams Maartsen
                                Washington

Not the team I would pick as I would have Barker in the back 4. Anyhooo.....all I can say is that if we conceed first then we won't win. 

3-1 to the Tractor Boys.

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Can Matthews play 3 games in a week? I'm sure I read somewhere that he is yet another one that needs to be 'nursed.'
    Only missed the Cardiff game during Project Restart
  • Options
    I really dont know what to expect, this is the sort of game we should lose but will sneak. But after midweek i dont hold out too much hope..

2-1 to the tractor boys
  • Options
    0-5 Leaburn hat trick 
  • Options
    It’s a shame Barker doesn’t have slightly more first team experience as feel he would be more than a decent option for while the 4 CBs  are injured.  
    hes miles off first team
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    0-5 BOGLE hat trick 
    Corrected for you.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I agree with bringing Purrington in and let Maatsen do his thing further up the pitch.  

With TS now looking over, I'm wondering if Bows and the Management team are more wary of throwing Pearce/Osh straight into the team, seeing them break down injured again and the focus being on decision making? 

I'm just surprised that we've suddenly gone for the extra cautious approach. We are also talking about a less intense league than the Championship. Last season, we admitted that our players had niggles and needed a rest before getting injured (perhaps wasn't the best public interview to give about Connor G).

We managed the return of mid-term injuries to Taylor and Cullen and in a more intense league. 
  • Options
    0-0
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Redhenry said:
    It’s a shame Barker doesn’t have slightly more first team experience as feel he would be more than a decent option for while the 4 CBs  are injured.  
    hes miles off first team
    Why?
    He's played in it before and done well.
    We have the four senior players out.
    He's not too young to play.
    He's a good player.
    Pratley and Gunter just had a very bad game

Why's he 'miles off?' @Redhenry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only reason Barker played was because of the embargo we were under - if we'd have played an u21 they would have counted towards our senior squad meaning under the embargo we couldn't bring a new player in. 

There are u21s ahead of Barker in the pecking order, I'm sure. 
  • Options
    You're sure?
    Ok, who?
  • Options
    The only reason Barker played was because of the embargo we were under - if we'd have played an u21 they would have counted towards our senior squad meaning under the embargo we couldn't bring a new player in. 

Maybe, but he came in and did well. Should that fact be ignored?
  • Options
    I think the big question is can Aneke start the game? Depends very much on how he is feeling right now but we also have an extra day until MK on Wednesday, so he could recover in time to play 30 minutes on Wednesday. Or does he play 30 tomorrow with the idea of he has an extra day and therefore can start against his former side?

Either way, Bowyer has no choice but to play Bogle at some point, and I am sure he will be right up for it to put it straight, he will want to impress Bow now.

Really hope Williams and Morgan start, and I am certain Washington does too.

Surprised to hear Bowyer say neither Pearce or Oshilaja are fit to play. I understand Pearce more as he pretty much missed the very short pre-season, but Deji should be fit enough you would assume to start.

Reaction is needed, that’s for sure. And I just think Aneke will be on the bench with the view to starting and playing a good 70 minutes on Wednesday...

Amos
    Matthews Gunter Pratley Maatsen
    Watson
    Morgan Shinnie
    Williams
    Bogle Washington

Maynard-Brewer, Pearce, Oshilaja, Gilbey, Maddison, Aneke, Smyth

Ipswich Town 1-2 Charlton Athletic
    Washington
    Aneke
  • Options
    I still don't understand why he can't start games. He had a big injury last season, but has been back quite a while. He seemed able to play games for MK Dons. And he didn't seem to lag despite significant minutes against Plymouth and Burton.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    hes miles off first team
    Why?
    He's played in it before and done well.
    We have the four senior players out.
    He's not too young to play.
    He's a good player.
    Pratley and Gunter just had a very bad game

Why's he 'miles off?' @Redhenry
    Agree. Barker was our best player v Plymouth. That doesn't happen if you aren't almost ready.

Perhaps its needs a youngster to give the old 'uns a kick up the arse on this occasion. 
  • Options
    You're sure?
    Ok, who?
    Jay Mingi, Luca Vega

Maybe, but he came in and did well. Should that fact be ignored?
    No of course not - he should be developed. I'll trust the judgement of Avory, Bow, Roddy and co. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I was commenting in terms of the reserve players ahead of him point. My suggestion is that whilst he may not have got the chance in normal circumstances, he got it, did well, and must now be ahead of them.
  • Options
    I was commenting in terms of the reserve players ahead of him point. My suggestion is that whilst he may not have got the chance in normal circumstances, he got it, did well, and must now be ahead of them.
    If that was the case he'd be getting games ahead of them for the u23s. 

Not saying he didn't do well when he was thrust in to the team under unusual circumstances - he's an exciting prospect for sure. 
  • Options
    I still don't understand why he can't start games. He had a big injury last season, but has been back quite a while. He seemed able to play games for MK Dons. And he didn't seem to lag despite significant minutes against Plymouth and Burton.
    Putting my LB hat on; because if Aneke has only got limited minutes in him per game, we feel its of more benefit to have those minutes towards the end against tiring defences and when the game is more open.