Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Maradona dies aged 60

Comments

• Options
    I was at the Barnsley 6-0 game, very soon after Maggie Thatcher passed away.  There were supporters singing in support of her death.
    F****** disgusting.
    ours or theres?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I was at the Barnsley 6-0 game, very soon after Maggie Thatcher passed away.  There were supporters singing in support of her death.
    F****** disgusting.
    ours or theres?
    Would be there’s......Barnsley was a big coal mining town.
  • Options
    Anyone seen what Macron has allegedly said in his tribute to Maradona?
  • Options
    "Allegedly" FFS, mate he's the president of France. He either said it, or he didn't. So what did he say?
  • Options
    "Allegedly" FFS, mate he's the president of France. He either said it, or he didn't. So what did he say?
    He said he was a massive Coqwomble. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Anyway, there's a thread running for us old gits about a player called Albert Bennett whom we were supposed to sign in the late 60s. It turned into a discussion of the game in 67 when we played Coventry, a team which had butchered its way to the top of the second division. It was for this impressionable kid the first sight of our twin striker signings from Grimsby, Matt Tees and Rodney Green. It didnt last long. I saw Green carried off. His career was effectively ended. They did Matt Tees too, although he survived to play again. The referee took no action in either case. I could not process the cold blooded violence I was watching.  The rest of the country never saw this, or any other games that Coventry won in this way because there was no TV coverage, but there was plenty of coverage of Jimmy Hill's "progressive vision" for the club. 

I thought I'd mention that here because I think of those everyday butchers led by their centre half George Curtis, when I read people banging on about Maradona being the worst cheat ever for that handball. So tell me this, people. How many fellow professionals' careers  did Maradona end with his fouls? Actually how many cards did Maradona pick up for "serious foul play"? (and before you say, forwards don't do that, I remind you of Killer...)
  • Options
    Flawed genius or cheating Argie drug taker ?

How far have we got in the debate?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyway, there's a thread running for us old gits about a player called Albert Bennett whom we were supposed to sign in the late 60s. It turned inot a discussion of the game in 67 when we played Coventry, a team which had butchered its way to the top of the second division. It was for this impressionable kid the first sight of our twin striker signings from Grimsby, Matt Tees and Rodney Green. It didnt last long. I saw Green carried off. His career was effectively ended. They did Matt Tees too, although he survived to play again. The referee took no action in either case. I could not process the cold blooded violence I was watching.  The rest of the country never saw this, or any other games that Coventry won in this way because there was no TV coverage, but there was plenty of coverage of Jimmy Hill's "progressive vision" for the club. 

I thought I'd mention that here because I think of those everyday butchers led by their centre half George Curtis, when I read people banging on about Maradona being the worst cheat ever for that handball. So tell me this, people. How many fellow professionals' careers  did Maradona end with his fouls? Actually how many cards did Maradona pick up for "serious foul play"? (and before you say, forwards don't do that, I remind you of Killer...)
    This is not the thread for rational debate. I think most decent people on here agree Diego was the worst cheat ever and he took cocaine and he may not have been the most PC of people.

One of my favourite footballing memories was watching the Charlton legend Ben Thatcher tackle Pedro Mendes with his elbow when he was playing for Manchester City. Nothing wrong with knocking someone unconscious - I was very proud that we signed him. I'm just glad that we never signed Diego.

• Options

https://youtu.be/RyCSGWVpOuE
    My favourite Nicola Sturgeon song.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Anyway, there's a thread running for us old gits about a player called Albert Bennett whom we were supposed to sign in the late 60s. It turned inot a discussion of the game in 67 when we played Coventry, a team which had butchered its way to the top of the second division. It was for this impressionable kid the first sight of our twin striker signings from Grimsby, Matt Tees and Rodney Green. It didnt last long. I saw Green carried off. His career was effectively ended. They did Matt Tees too, although he survived to play again. The referee took no action in either case. I could not process the cold blooded violence I was watching.  The rest of the country never saw this, or any other games that Coventry won in this way because there was no TV coverage, but there was plenty of coverage of Jimmy Hill's "progressive vision" for the club. 

This is not the thread for rational debate. I think most decent people on here agree Diego was the worst cheat ever and he took cocaine and he may not have been the most PC of people.

One of my favourite footballing memories was watching the Charlton legend Ben Thatcher tackle Pedro Mendes with his elbow when he was playing for Manchester City. Nothing wrong with knocking someone unconscious - I was very proud that we signed him. I'm just glad that we never signed Diego.

Well that's certainly an entry for a Charlton Life version of Radio 4's "The Moral Maze". :-)

• Options
    Documentary on ITV at the moment. More examples of Lineker having the upmost respect for Maradona. A lot of footage I’ve never seen from 86. 
  • Options
    Lineker was a great striker, second only to Greaves. Waddle, Hoddle, Barnes etc, great team shame about the goalkeeper. Shilton is lucky people talk about the punch. Bailey & Woods both better options. Wretched goalkeeping, jump, use your hands. It was Shilton that cost England 
  • Options

Maradona, simply wonderful
  • Options
    Lineker was a great striker, second only to Greaves. Waddle, Hoddle, Barnes etc, great team shame about the goalkeeper. Shilton is lucky people talk about the punch. Bailey & Woods both better options. Wretched goalkeeping, jump, use your hands. It was Shilton that cost England 
    Didn’t realise that Robson dropped Martin after an excellent performance in the previous game for Fenwick. Also Glenn Hoddle gets massively fouled before Maradona picks the ball up for the second goal.
  • Options
    how how did no official see that foul?
  • Options
    Shilton was never one to bear a grudge...
  • Options
    Steve Hodge got his shirt and it was valued at 300k when he was alive. Could probably treble that now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So what did Macron say?
  • Options
    Steve Hodge got his shirt and it was valued at 300k when he was alive. Could probably treble that now.

Said on LBC yesterday its now worth 500k.
  • Options
    So what did Macron say?
    Presumably "RIP Diego. Je suis un french ponce"
  • Options
    The film from last year is on All4 free for a month if anyone wants to watch it.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I only sad allegedly because I only see it as a link to a UK tabloid on Facebook and didnt know if the story was 100% correct, or in context with the headline (and we all know what happens if we share stuff that ain't true dont we). Now I've read it myself and as he said it, I'm still none the wiser, partly due to the terrible attempt the French make at being philosophical and partly down to my translating. But in paying tribute to DM he said something along the lines of - Maradona helped beat Thatchers England, having the last say with regards to the Faklands conflict. He also rattles on about dictators,  but sure he mean in Argentina at the time

"Anyway" @PragueAddick, if you were that desperate to know what he said, Google is a blinding tool for that sort of thing mate
  • Options
    Didn’t realise that Robson dropped Martin after an excellent performance in the previous game for Fenwick. Also Glenn Hoddle gets massively fouled before Maradona picks the ball up for the second goal.
    Fenwick and Palmer, would love to know how either got any caps at all
  • Options
    Most exciting death on here since Thatcher.