Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Maradona dies aged 60

Comments

• Options
    Fuck him 
    Horrible England hating little cheating drug addict cunt.

If I offend anyone with this post 

Tough 
    Exactly what I expected from you.
    Glad I  never disappointed you.

Any fucker that hates England Will always be supported by a prick  like you.
    You really have anger issues don't you and a rare gift for language. .

You really hate England Don't you.
    And not ashamed to show it
    I am English 

I love my country and always support England in sporting events.

I am not celebrating someones death just because he cheated in a game against us
    Well said Paulie. 
  • Options
    A cheat who said he didn't cheat when he obviously did. Also a liar and drug taker who was booted out of a world cup for using drugs to boast his performance.  

If you admire that more fool you.

Nothing to like there. Compared to Pele . You just can't.  

We can compare them based on their footballing ability as they're both footballers. He may not have been the nicest person on the planet, like a significant number of footballers, but as a footballer he was amongst the best
    He cheated...that ruins football but he then denied it...liar and cheat. I don't  admire that . If you want you can . To me is pointless having rules of we admire those who can't play within them .
    Thierry Henry cheated against Ireland,deliberate handball lead to the winning goal,rarely mentioned,If Maradona had done that to any other country nobody would have given a toss.Cheating is now part of the game,all the time players dive,feign injury,try to get opponents sent off,Lineker and Owen both went down very easily in world cup matches.Cyclists,athletes take drugs,none of this is right but Maradona was not the only guy who ever cheated on a sports field.(I remember Garth Crooks punching one in a Selhurst Park).
    v Norwich? Fake diving header? (or is my memory crap)
  • Options
    From a 44 year old memory  Jimmy Giles did a very similar hand of God goal against Bolton. The Bolton players especially Jim McDonagh went bonkers. Oh how we laughed.
    As for Maradona the best player of my generation of course he was flawed but what a mad life fame and talent gave him
  • Options
    A cheat who said he didn't cheat when he obviously did. Also a liar and drug taker who was booted out of a world cup for using drugs to boast his performance.  

We can compare them based on their footballing ability as they're both footballers. He may not have been the nicest person on the planet, like a significant number of footballers, but as a footballer he was amongst the best
    He cheated...that ruins football but he then denied it...liar and cheat. I don't  admire that . If you want you can . To me is pointless having rules of we admire those who can't play within them .
    Thierry Henry cheated against Ireland,deliberate handball lead to the winning goal,rarely mentioned,If Maradona had done that to any other country nobody would have given a toss.Cheating is now part of the game,all the time players dive,feign injury,try to get opponents sent off,Lineker and Owen both went down very easily in world cup matches.Cyclists,athletes take drugs,none of this is right but Maradona was not the only guy who ever cheated on a sports field.(I remember Garth Crooks punching one in a Selhurst Park).
    v Norwich? Fake diving header? (or is my memory crap)
    spot on,your memory is fine
  • Options
    SID said:
    Good riddance
    Good grief! Because of a hand ball? A genius with a football RIP. 

If you think he cheated just the once you are naïve. How many of those wonderful performances were fuelled on illegal substances. Remember the camera stare at one world cup? He was a thoroughly obnoxious man who surrounded himself with obnoxious people. But because he was good at football we can overlook all that. What a role model he was. But because he came from a poor background we can overlook all of that.
    And just because he may or may not have cheated a few times in a game(yes we all love football but lets remember it is a game) you are glad that a man has lost his life

Wow I actually pitty you, that you can hold that much of a grudge for someone you have never met that you are actually cheering their death.
    Where does he indicate he is cheering his death?
    I think like quite a few, he is simply indifferent.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I think Maradona will always be in the pantomime villain role as far as most England fans are concerned. The bloke comes over as though he’s always been a Marmite type character to anyone, let alone if he scored the winning goal against your nation with his hand to knock em out the World Cup.

He was undoubtedly a brilliant footballer and he certainly seemed to have lived his best life to the end. So, yeah RIP, but I’ll still reserve the right, as an Englishman and England football supporter, to dislike him as a player and a cheat

A genuine question. How would you feel if an English player had done this in the same game and got away with it?
    It didn’t happen, so how can the question be logically answered......other than by saying “I don’t know.”
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think Maradona will always be in the pantomime villain role as far as most England fans are concerned. The bloke comes over as though he’s always been a Marmite type character to anyone, let alone if he scored the winning goal against your nation with his hand to knock em out the World Cup.

He was undoubtedly a brilliant footballer and he certainly seemed to have lived his best life to the end. So, yeah RIP, but I’ll still reserve the right, as an Englishman and England football supporter, to dislike him as a player and a cheat

A genuine question. How would you feel if an English player had done this in the same game and got away with it?
    It didn’t happen, so how can the question be logically answered......other than by saying “I don’t know.”
    I think most people should be able to answer it, and any principled person should be against cheating, who ever the culprit is. Seem to remember Lineker turning down a penalty in an England game, late in his international career.
  • Options
    SID said:
    Good riddance
    Good grief! Because of a hand ball? A genius with a football RIP. 

If you think he cheated just the once you are naïve. How many of those wonderful performances were fuelled on illegal substances. Remember the camera stare at one world cup? He was a thoroughly obnoxious man who surrounded himself with obnoxious people. But because he was good at football we can overlook all that. What a role model he was. But because he came from a poor background we can overlook all of that.
    And just because he may or may not have cheated a few times in a game(yes we all love football but lets remember it is a game) you are glad that a man has lost his life

Wow I actually pitty you, that you can hold that much of a grudge for someone you have never met that you are actually cheering their death.

Its not just the cheating in football. Open your eyes to the other things he did and was. If you are happy to overlook those things because he was good at football, that is fine, that is your view. I'm not glad he has lost his life, I am not cheering his death, I just don't care. That is my view, and like you I'm entitled to one
  • Options
    Mike Bassett and Kevin “Tonka” Tonkinson got our revenge against Argentina. “Do a Maradona son”. https://youtu.be/5AqAwLR15ZA
  • Options
    I'd love to know if any of the posters who've been referring to his drug use/addiction have ever taken drugs themselves. Can't imagine you're all squeaky clean.

more a case that we haven't taken them to enhance our performance in professional sporting capacity
  • Options
    McCartney said:
    From a 44 year old memory  Jimmy Giles did a very similar hand of God goal against Bolton. The Bolton players especially Jim McDonagh went bonkers. Oh how we laughed.
    As for Maradona the best player of my generation of course he was flawed but what a mad life fame and talent gave him
    Wasn't that against Wednesday in the FA Cup ?  Right in front of the Covered End ,I was there , but maybe remembering it wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Do you apply that to all Charlton and England games? 
    Stupid question...but  I don't  countenance cheats. Whst is the point of rules if scurrilous gits get lauded over as a genius when they behave like him. Drugged up cheat for most of his life. Tell me how many Charlton players you know as bad as him. 
    It’s not a stupid question considering your original statement. It doesn’t matter if someone’s ‘as bad as him’ because according to you, cheating or breaking the rules is abhorrent. Therefore ALL cheating should be viewed the same.
  • Options
    SID said:
    Sorry to see how this thread has turned rancorous, but I’m sure it isnt the only one tonight. 

I’ll just say that if I hadnt seen the Maradona film I probably wouldnt even have opened the thread. I  really urge everyone to watch it, its one of the finest sport films I’ve seen, from the director of Senna. If you thought the bloke was just a bit of a knob, as I did, it’ll make you think a bit. And you will see the genius, not least in the clip of him on a waterlogged Napoli training pitch. 

RIP.
    Is that film available on Netflix or something Prague?
    It does not seem to be on Netflix now, although I thought that was where I saw it. They have a series called Maradona in Mexico which I haven't tried, but will not show so much of his talent obviously. It may be on HBO and Amazon Prime. But if there's a You Tube of it that will save you a lot of faff.
  • Options
    Northwestern GIF
    Get down, she's gonna blow!
  • Options
    I'd love to know if any of the posters who've been referring to his drug use/addiction have ever taken drugs themselves. Can't imagine you're all squeaky clean.
    When people start ranking me as one of the great footballers of all time, they can then delve into my private life and debate my merits / faults. Maradona is free to indulge but, no matter how skillful he was as aplayer, I think that negates him from being a "great".

When I think of "great" sportsmen / women, I think of people who were obviously good at their chosen sport, but also competed in the spirit of the game. I also believe a good sportsman / woman conducts themselves with some sort of dignity off the pitch as well as on it. 

Re' the drug taking in general. Does every person who chooses to take recreational drugs deserve to be treated as a victim? Sure, I understand there are addicts who have been preyed upon and taken advantage of, from all walks of life, from those on the street to the likes of Amy Winehouse etc. However, I also think there are plenty of people who are completely in control and binge because they can, and they love it.

• Options
    When people start ranking me as one of the great footballers of all time, they can then delve into my private life and debate my merits / faults. Maradona is free to indulge but, no matter how skillful he was as aplayer, I think that negates him from being a "great".

When I think of "great" sportsmen / women, I think of people who were obviously good at their chosen sport, but also competed in the spirit of the game. I also believe a good sportsman / woman conducts themselves with some sort of dignity off the pitch as well as on it. 

Re' the drug taking in general. Does every person who chooses to take recreational drugs deserve to be treated as a victim? Sure, I understand there are addicts who have been preyed upon and taken advantage of, from all walks of life, from those on the street to the likes of Amy Winehouse etc. However, I also think there are plenty of people who are completely in control and binge because they can, and they love it.

So you have taken drugs then? ;)

• Options
    Thats not the same at all.

One was a linesman getting a decision wrong.

One was a player making a deliberate attempt to cheat.

I'm not getting in to anything around the comments / thoughts etc around his passing. But that comment does not hold up at all.