Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst live acts you have seen

Comments

• Options
    Lenny Kravitz and The Prodigy at Wembley Arena (not at the same time....). Left both gigs early.  Wondering if its a venue thing as neither Wembleys score high on my (gig) best list
  • Options
    Not because of the music, but Destination Docklands the open air concert put on by Jean-Michel Jarre in Beckton in October 1988 will chiefly be remembered for the freezing rain that fell that evening!

I Was there , hours standing around in the pissing rain for most of the day and they nearly pulled the plug because the stage was on a pontoon in the docks and it was getting a bit choppy out there . ( still got my t shirt and ticket stub )
  • Options
    kafka said:
    Can’t agree on Sparks, but Destination Docklands was a few lights 2miles away in the rain. A real borefest 

Agree , i saw Sparks a couple of years ago the Hippotomus tour , best gig for a few years .
  • Options
    The Cult Finsbury Park.  They got booed, told the audience to fuck off & I can't recall if they walked off or not.

Marilyn Manson Brixton Academy - a fan probably  would have enjoyed, but he just screamed & screeched all the way through. 

Morrissey   Alexander Palace just boring.

Of Mice and Men - Brixton Academy - I bought the wrong tickets should have been Of Monsters and Men who are not so heavy.
  • Options
    Gerry Sadowitz stand up used to be very hit and miss. He invariably insulted nearly everybody but he was never boring. He had a gift for self destruction.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    MrWalker said:
    Not because of the music, but Destination Docklands the open air concert put on by Jean-Michel Jarre in Beckton in October 1988 will chiefly be remembered for the freezing rain that fell that evening!

I remember that. We was at an Acid House warehouse do up the river. Which I’m sure was a lot better
    I love your description of the event you went to as a, 'do'.
    Doesn't everyone describe a do as a do ? I do

• Options
    Is 'Do I do' by Stevie Wonder your favourite song? 
  • Options
    U2 and Echo and The Bunnymen, both at the Lyceum Ballroom on the Strand around 1978/79.  Both boring.

Two others that stand out, not for how bad the performances were though.  Joan Armourplating at Blackbushe Aerodrome was totally the wrong act to have along side Graham Parker, Eric Clapton and Bob Dylan.  The other was The Stone Roses at Ally Pally.  The sound was appalling.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Someone I worked  with saw Kajagoogoo back in the day, and in their 10 song gig they opened with Too Shy, closed with Too Shy then did an encore of Too Shy 
    At the height of Kajagoogoo's fame, Limahl's sister's best friend's cousin's boyfriend was

drum roll please

me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Someone I worked  with saw Kajagoogoo back in the day, and in their 10 song gig they opened with Too Shy, closed with Too Shy then did an encore of Too Shy 
    At the height of Kajagoogoo's fame, Limahl's sister's best friend's cousin's boyfriend was

drum roll please

me.
    Did you have the same haircut?
  • Options
    Ed Stewart, Lewisham Theatre, as a Pantomime Dame, Just terrible. Forgot lines and just plain uninterested.
    Some time later he went into MaccyDs and  effed and blind at a poor girl behind the jump.

• Options
    Ben Hur Live at The O2

took my parents and wife’s mum as big fans of the film

other than the chariot race a complete pile of poo. 

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I'm sorry to say Van Morrison at Plymouth about 3 years ago.  He hardly sang - just stood morosely in front of his team of competent but dull session musicians while they did barely recognisable funk versions of his lesser known hits.  If I remember Moondance went on for about 10 minutes and he sang for about 2 of them in the middle then everyone had to pretend to enjoy his terrible saxophone noodling...
  • Options
    Has anyone ever seen Amy Winehouse? I loved her music but her gigs always looked an utter shambles.

I have seen her but not singing, a few years ago I went to the IOW for a few days and I didn't know the IOW festival was on. I was having an evening meal in a hotel in Newport and she came in with he entourage and sat at the bar and had a drink. She was lovely to other drinkers and had time to have a picture and give autographs, to be fair there wasn't that many people in the bar. Wish I had the balls to go up and ask now.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever seen Amy Winehouse? I loved her music but her gigs always looked an utter shambles.

I have seen her but not singing, a few years ago I went to the IOW for a few days and I didn't know the IOW festival was on. I was having an evening meal in a hotel in Newport and she came in with he entourage and sat at the bar and had a drink. She was lovely to other drinkers and had time to have a picture and give autographs, to be fair there wasn't that many people in the bar. Wish I had the balls to go up and ask now.
    She always struck me as a really nice person with a f***ed up life. So sad she died so young.
  • Options

I remember that. We was at an Acid House warehouse do up the river. Which I’m sure was a lot better
    Out of interest which acid party was it?
    Pretty sure it was called Apocolypse Now. One off ted type rave do. We were pretty early at the table my lot so by then we were already a year in. I was a member of Shoom and Spectrum, went to Boys Own, Future, Kazoo, etc years ago,  still pop out to things a couple of times a year (Faith, Boys Own)
    Genesis did an apocalypse now at the time so it was probably that , the bloke didn’t have much cash but got a load of cargo nets cheap from an army surplus.
    if you’ve not already read it have a look out for “class of 88” by Wayne Anthony, it should bring back some memories for you judging by your old haunts
    I am more than impressed that you can both remember where you went.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    kafka said:
    Can’t agree on Sparks, but Destination Docklands was a few lights 2miles away in the rain. A real borefest 

Agree , i saw Sparks a couple of years ago the Hippotomus tour , best gig for a few years .
    Well, They must've improved. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Black Sabbath at Hammersmith Odeon in the 70's, Ozzy was pissed music was loud and unless you knew the songs couldn't understand a word he sung.

The back up band called Bandylegs were fantastic but never heard from them again. In fact they did a couple of encores. which back up bands rarely do.

Just found out by a colleague they changed their name to Quartz, and I have a couple of their albums, didn't know they changed their name.
    I think Ozzy being pissed is all part of the act ;)

• Options
    primal scream - brixton about 8 years ago - reinforced they have 3 great tunes, the rest is pure durge and happy mondays circa 1990 - they had a fight on stage and were shit thereafter - shame coz i like/d em    
  • Options

Two threads. One man. Best gig John Martyn 1982 with Danny Thompson. Glasgow somewhere. Mesmeric. Worst gig. 1983. John Martyn. Glasgow somewhere. Walked (that’s exaggerating) on stage. Sat on a stool. Said something like “shlweempthdnb”. Fell off stool. Crawled offstage. Announcement “sorry folks Mr Martyn is unwell”.   Legend. RIP big Muff. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Re. Jean-Michel Jarre. I was in the vicinity, mooching about, trying to find a vantage point. Desolation. No vantage point. A faint sound. Lots of rain. Disappointment Docklands.
    Probably not Jean-Michel Jarre being a bad act, more that you didn't pay for admission.
  • Options

Out of interest which acid party was it?
    Pretty sure it was called Apocolypse Now. One off ted type rave do. We were pretty early at the table my lot so by then we were already a year in. I was a member of Shoom and Spectrum, went to Boys Own, Future, Kazoo, etc years ago,  still pop out to things a couple of times a year (Faith, Boys Own)
    Genesis did an apocalypse now at the time so it was probably that , the bloke didn’t have much cash but got a load of cargo nets cheap from an army surplus.
    if you’ve not already read it have a look out for “class of 88” by Wayne Anthony, it should bring back some memories for you judging by your old haunts
    I am more than impressed that you can both remember where you went.
    I read a lot of books on it trying to fill in the many many blanks!
  • Options
    Bob Dylan - Brixton and it was the first time I’d seen him.
  • Options
    The Stone Roses never failed to disappoint on the few occasions I saw them.
  • Options
    I was at the Live 8 concert at Hyde Park and Peter Doherty stunk the whole place out with Elton John for their 1 song. He could barely string 2 words together