Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst live acts you have seen

Comments

• Options
    Thought the Who at 02 was quite pedestrian but to be fair I was probably seeing  them 30 years too late.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Seen Weller many times and he's always superb and will always be an absolute legend to me, but I didnt think much of his first O2 gig. Reckon seeing him at smaller venues over the years made seeing him there a bit less personal, so maybe it was the venue, but ended up leaving early regardless.
    The O2 is usually pretty terrible for atmosphere - not too bad if you're near the stage but if you are miles away it just feels like an aircraft hangar. The trouble is a lot of big acts only play there 
    Depends what type of music you go there to see. Went to see Tiesto (when he was good) and Above & Beyond there. Usually stand towards the back cos the front is too rammed and you can’t dance. The sound and lasers/lights were incredible. Then add in the panoramic view of both the stage and everyone dancing not only on the floor but on their seats in the stands, it’s one of the best adapted dance music venues I’ve ever been too.
  • Options
    Queen.

It was free.

I left early
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Not because of the music, but Destination Docklands the open air concert put on by Jean-Michel Jarre in Beckton in October 1988 will chiefly be remembered for the freezing rain that fell that evening!

I remember that. We was at an Acid House warehouse do up the river. Which I’m sure was a lot better
  • Options
    Jimmy Page Outrider tour. My mates uncle was the tour manager and we had AAApasses. Still didn’t stay more than 20 minutes. My god it was dull
  • Options
    Not because of the music, but Destination Docklands the open air concert put on by Jean-Michel Jarre in Beckton in October 1988 will chiefly be remembered for the freezing rain that fell that evening!

I remember that. We was at an Acid House warehouse do up the river. Which I’m sure was a lot better
    I love your description of the event you went to as a, 'do'.
  • Options

Out of interest which acid party was it?
  • Options
    Miranda Hart’s attempt at stand up comedy. I won tickets at work for their box at the 02 and took the Wife.

She had this game where if you had to get up to go to the toilet you had to gallop like a horse (because apparently the word gallop is funny). This big Ross Kemp lookalike gets up and she screams ‘GALLOP!’. He turns round, gives her the finger and doesn’t come back.

We left after 30 minutes. Not even the free booze numbed the pain.
    Did you gallop?
  • Options

Pretty sure it was called Apocolypse Now. One off ted type rave do. We were pretty early at the table my lot so by then we were already a year in. I was a member of Shoom and Spectrum, went to Boys Own, Future, Kazoo, etc years ago,  still pop out to things a couple of times a year (Faith, Boys Own)
  • Options

Pretty sure it was called Apocolypse Now. One off ted type rave do. We were pretty early at the table my lot so by then we were already a year in. I was a member of Shoom and Spectrum, went to Boys Own, Future, Kazoo, etc years ago,  still pop out to things a couple of times a year (Faith, Boys Own)
    Genesis did an apocalypse now at the time so it was probably that , the bloke didn’t have much cash but got a load of cargo nets cheap from an army surplus.
    if you’ve not already read it have a look out for “class of 88” by Wayne Anthony, it should bring back some memories for you judging by your old haunts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Showaddywaddy in tunbridge Wells about 6 or 7 years ago
    They were shocking
    Although I was probably 45 years too late
  • Options
    Pearl Jam at the O2. Then again I don't think you can see a good gig at the O2. So sanitised as a venue. 
  • Options
    Ian Brown at V Leeds in 97 was f’ing atrocious. 
  • Options
    The Happy Monday’s at Glastonbury in 1990 were awful. 
  • Options
    Thought the Who at 02 was quite pedestrian but to be fair I was probably seeing  them 30 years too late.

I've seen the Who a few times - the first time was at The Valley. Every time I have seen them they have been great, but the last time I saw them was when Entwhistle was still alive - doubt they're as good these days. In my "top ten gigs" they probably hold the top 3 spots.

Worst band I saw was Sparks at the Fairfield Halls. I was in my early teens and me and my mates decided to stave off the boredom by dancing in the isles - the band LOVED it, as they misinterpreted it as adoration.
  • Options
    Whitney Houston, Wembley Arena, early 90's I think, truly awful, she was high as a kite, voice was gone and spent most of the time wittering on incoherently about religion.... what a waste of an incredible talent.

Bob Monkhouse in Watford on a works do, never liked the guy anyway, but live was just so bad, the least funny 'comedian' I have ever seen, and I've seen Gina Yashere.......
    I was a flyman at Her Majesty's theatre in the early 90s when Monkhouse did a corporate gig there on a Sunday - lots of extra money for us but he was such an obnoxious shitehouse I wanted to drop a lighting bar on his head and put us all out of his misery.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Hawkwind Brixton Fridge it would have been around 1982 or 3.  I was pissed before they came on, smoked a joint and left after falling asleep for the first 20 minutes by which time they were still doing "whooooooooo" spooky sci fi noises and hadn't started actually playing a song.
  • Options
    Lenny Henry
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Lenny Henry
    Yeh, why is he so unlikeable when he tries so hard?

Maybe it's because he tries so hard.
  • Options
    Lenny Henry
    Yeh, why is he so unlikeable when he tries so hard?

Maybe it's because he tries so hard.
    Was years ago at The Tram Shed in Woolwich. Long before he was up his own arse. My personal view is that he tries too hard to come accross as an intellectual and he really isn’t. I blame Dawn French. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whitney Houston, Wembley Arena, early 90's I think, truly awful, she was high as a kite, voice was gone and spent most of the time wittering on incoherently about religion.... what a waste of an incredible talent.

Bob Monkhouse in Watford on a works do, never liked the guy anyway, but live was just so bad, the least funny 'comedian' I have ever seen, and I've seen Gina Yashere.......
    I was a flyman at Her Majesty's theatre in the early 90s when Monkhouse did a corporate gig there on a Sunday - lots of extra money for us but he was such an obnoxious shitehouse I wanted to drop a lighting bar on his head and put us all out of his misery.
    What’s a “flyman” ?
  • Options
    Can’t agree on Sparks, but Destination Docklands was a few lights 2miles away in the rain. A real borefest 
  • Options
    I love the Buzzcocks, but at their peak they weren’t great live. John Maher terrible drummer
  • Options
    Earth Wind & Fire at Wembley Arena. Great ‘show’, lighting, costumes etc, but their singing was awful. We were very disappointed.
  • Options
    Happy Mondays. Shaun Ryder singing was him talking. Inspiral Carpets beforehand made up for it though. 
  • Options
    Has anyone ever seen Amy Winehouse? I loved her music but her gigs always looked an utter shambles.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Has anyone ever seen Amy Winehouse? I loved her music but her gigs always looked an utter shambles.
    No but of you ever get the opportunity to watch the film of her life, do. A tragic story - a genius but flawed character surrounded by a few people that ruined her. 
  • Options
    No but of you ever get the opportunity to watch the film of her life, do. A tragic story - a genius but flawed character surrounded by a few people that ruined her. 
    I saw the documentary - it was excellent.
  • Options
    I went to see comedian Al Read at the Adelphi I think it was.  A supporting act was Shirley Bassey who I thought was absolutely dreadful.  Little did I know.
  • Options
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Reading Festival 07