Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fairytale of New York

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    Yet Radio 2 is playing the original version 
    Because no one listens to Radio 2?
    8 million is hardly "no one". 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Yet Radio 2 is playing the original version 
    Because no one listens to Radio 2?
    Reckon Radio 2 gets a significant amount of more listeners than Radio 1
  • and Radio 2 average age of listener is 56, Radio 1 is 30. I would expect the full version on Radio 2 or 6 Music where the age of the listenership is older, not Radio 1 where it likely to be heard more by kids. 

I find people's relationship with Radio 1 weird, it's like the station shouldn't change from how they remember it when they were 15
  • Rothko said:
    and Radio 2 average age of listener is 56, Radio 1 is 30. I would expect the full version on Radio 2 or 6 Music where the age of the listenership is older, not Radio 1 where it likely to be heard more by kids. 

I find people's relationship with Radio 1 weird, it's like the station shouldn't change from how they remember it when they were 15
    When I was 15 it was pretty much all crap Smashy and Nicey stuff until 10.00pm when John Peel came on and he played some terrible stuff too quite often.
  • Rothko said:
    and Radio 2 average age of listener is 56, Radio 1 is 30. I would expect the full version on Radio 2 or 6 Music where the age of the listenership is older, not Radio 1 where it likely to be heard more by kids. 

When I was 15 it was pretty much all crap Smashy and Nicey stuff until 10.00pm when John Peel came on and he played some terrible stuff too quite often.
    You do Annie Nightingale a disservice.
  • Addickted said:
    Rothko said:

You do Annie Nightingale a disservice.
    Fair enough
  • Back in the 80s the word faggot was rarely used as a homosexual insult in the UK anyway, it always was more of an American usage. After in the UK a faggot is a type of meatball  while fag is a cigarette or a public school term for junior pupils forced to do chores for senior pupils. 

I guess this is an example of how language has evolved, and how the internet in particular has spread American usage around the English speaking world. 

c. slang (originally and chiefly North American). Frequently derogatory and offensive. A homosexual man, sometimes spec. one considered to be effeminate; (occasionally) a lesbian. Also more generally: any man considered to be effeminate; (as a term of abuse or contempt) a weak or cowardly man or boy; a sissy. Cf. fag n.5
    The usual sense in North America.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is the same BBC that didn't have a problem with The Shamen playing Ebenezer Goode on Top of the Pops. 
    28 years on I doubt the same people are making the decisions...  :D  
  • I was gutted when Gary Glitter was banned by the BBC. Used to have his poster on my wall when I was growing up along with ones of Jimmy Saville and Jonathan King. At least they're still playing Michael Jackson.

Another Rock 'n' Roll Christmas is one of my favourite Christmas songs. As is Alvin Stardust's Merry Christmas Everyone. Don't hear them much over here!
  • edited November 2020
    Change it and let's just stop all of this nonsense. A non story.
  • Who’s Lawrence Fox and why has everyone got their arse in the air about him?
    Some Snowflake that's trying to make a name for himself. 
  • Huskaris said:
    It's designed to make you angry. 

You're supposed to be angry that they did it, or angry that people are angry that they did it. 

Then you go online, and watch other people getting angry at each other, minor celebrities and the like. Find a couple of extreme examples and make them representative of everyone you disagree with...

I don't know why but I feel like all media is constantly trying to turn us into overly opinionated furious people. All media. 

And for so many people it's working. 
    Conspiracy mate. First they take away our pubs and bars, now they're stopping us listening to Kirsty McCall sing faggot.

Hope it snows this year, so i can kick my snowperson on the penina
    I laughed so hard at this my drink came out my eyes
    He accused a modern day witch burner or being a witch. It's incensed/inspired the usual suspects.
  • Didnt Tony Blackburn refuse to play Down In The Tube Station once upon a time?
    is he claustrophobic then?
    an actor, sister of Amelia, related to James & Edward Fox
  • Sponsored links:

He’s trying to make a living out of saying that the country is declining because there’s people out there being too nice.
  • edited November 2020
    There is something about Emilia though - even if her acting is a bit wooden and her brother’s a bit of a cock, although it’s maybe refreshing for someone to speak their thoughts (and in his case the thoughts of many) rather keep them locked up. Debate is required unless it turns into mud slinging on social media.
    He's an (ex - now cancelled) actor who dared to challenge the sacred belief/conspiracy theory/divisive bollocks that is the concept of  'white privilege' on Question Time.  He was called racist for pointing out that making generalised derogatory statements about folk based on the colour their skin was probably racist, what with it being the dictionary definition and all.  Unfortunately, the person he defended himself against was not only a woman, but also not white and in the woke pantheon they are infallible and always right (unless they vote Tory, in which case they're race traitors).  For this he must BURN!  Pile on!

Also made himself look a bit of an arse in an argument about Sikhs in the British Army in WWI.  Doesn't always choose his battles wisely.  

He is now a kind of Trump replacement figure to the woke (they have to tweet about someone else all day now that the orange one is being slowly shuffled, unwillingly, toward the exit door - they will need someone else to spend their whole day hating now) and as such has become the virtue signallers 'go to'. He's also posh, making him even more of a hate figure on the left, although he probably comes from the same demographic as most of those who run and support the Labour Party. 

So get online and tweet about how much you hate him in order to inveigle yourself into the woke tribe and rack up some 'right on' points with the righteous.  It's all the rage! ;)
    White privilege isn't a concept. It is fact, though the term is too simplistic for the nuance. 

White privilege is best articulated as the absence of additional hardships on the basis of skin colour - not that "all white people" have it good or better than non-white people. (It would be absolutely ridiculous to accuse a working-class twenty-something unemployed white man from Burnley, for instance, of being more privileged than myself overall, for instance.)

I'd like to clarify that the following isn't based on whatever specific Fox incident you're talking about, but invoking a dictionary definition is always a fun one. Racism is an incredibly complex topic and defining it strictly according to a book that originated with white people is probably not the path to go down.

But if we are to follow a dictionary definition - what the fuck are you on about with this "woke pantheon" and supposed infallibility of women of colour? Can you perhaps not make generalisations about non-white people?

What is "wokeism" to you? What is "virtue signalling"? You use these terms with derision but I've not seen you define them.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Who’s Lawrence Fox and why has everyone got their arse in the air about him?
    He's an (ex - now cancelled) actor who dared to challenge the sacred belief/conspiracy theory/divisive bollocks that is the concept of  'white privilege' on Question Time.  He was called racist for pointing out that making generalised derogatory statements about folk based on the colour their skin was probably racist, what with it being the dictionary definition and all.  Unfortunately, the person he defended himself against was not only a woman, but also not white and in the woke pantheon they are infallible and always right (unless they vote Tory, in which case they're race traitors).  For this he must BURN!  Pile on!

Also made himself look a bit of an arse in an argument about Sikhs in the British Army in WWI.  Doesn't always choose his battles wisely.  

He is now a kind of Trump replacement figure to the woke (they have to tweet about someone else all day now that the orange one is being slowly shuffled, unwillingly, toward the exit door - they will need someone else to spend their whole day hating now) and as such has become the virtue signallers 'go to'. He's also posh, making him even more of a hate figure on the left, although he probably comes from the same demographic as most of those who run and support the Labour Party. 

So get online and tweet about how much you hate him in order to inveigle yourself into the woke tribe and rack up some 'right on' points with the righteous.  It's all the rage! ;)
    White privilege isn't a concept. It is fact, though the term is too simplistic for the nuance. 

White privilege is best articulated as the absence of additional hardships on the basis of skin colour - not that "all white people" have it good or better than non-white people. (It would be absolutely ridiculous to accuse a working-class twenty-something unemployed white man from Burnley, for instance, of being more privileged than myself overall, for instance.)

I'd like to clarify that the following isn't based on whatever specific Fox incident you're talking about, but invoking a dictionary definition is always a fun one. Racism is an incredibly complex topic and defining it strictly according to a book that originated with white people is probably not the path to go down.

But if we are to follow a dictionary definition - what the fuck are you on about with this "woke pantheon" and supposed infallibility of women of colour? Can you perhaps not make generalisations about non-white people?

What is "wokeism" to you? What is "virtue signalling"? You use these terms with derision but I've not seen you define them.
    Must be a winner at cliche bingo, though
  • Some posts on this thread bring to mind some lyrics to another song.
    All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow.

"I wonder if he's ever had a day of fun in his whole life".
  • Some posts on this thread bring to mind some lyrics to another song.
    All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow.

"I wonder if he's ever had a day of fun in his whole life".
    It's like a faux intellectual circlejerk on some of these threads sometimes. You weren't invited, but you stumble in and are horrified at what you see...

But still... You just can't stop watching... No matter how hard you try...
  • Don’t get me started 
    I could talk all night 
    but I would probably get abused by some millwall 
    c c c 
    cottonheandedninykin.  
    Can’t wait another 10 years when that’s censored in elf 
    It’s a Christmas song depicting two drunk Irish people.in the 80s
    Doesn’t spoil song for me if they bleep it out or not. 
    But wish they’d bleep out all the crap shows on tele now bleeding in the jungle don’t know why people watch this and why I pay a tv license.