Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thomas to lose £20m this season

13»

Comments

• Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Thanks, @Sage

Give the guys the tools they need to do their job seems a simple rule to follow.
    Seems like a great idea. Makes you wonder why it hasn’t happened before now... at least we have Thomas, he likes to simplify things and gets it done. This to me, seems like another excellent example of how the smaller changes he’ll make within the club can make the biggest improvements.
    In recent times we haven’t been able to spend £100k on a player never mind a piece of medical kit. These are the small relatively unnoticed changes that are ultimately going to move the club forward. Wasn’t there a couple of top notch lawnmowers for Sparrows ? Getting every aspect of the club on a sound footing will take a bit of time but I have little doubt TS will get there sooner rather than later.
    I was actually being sarcastic, it was a throw away comment in a way. However, Roland always had the money to invest in the medical team and new equipment, he chose not to. 
    I wasn’t digging at you. 👍
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Thanks, @Sage

Give the guys the tools they need to do their job seems a simple rule to follow.
    Seems like a great idea. Makes you wonder why it hasn’t happened before now... at least we have Thomas, he likes to simplify things and gets it done. This to me, seems like another excellent example of how the smaller changes he’ll make within the club can make the biggest improvements.
    In recent times we haven’t been able to spend £100k on a player never mind a piece of medical kit. These are the small relatively unnoticed changes that are ultimately going to move the club forward. Wasn’t there a couple of top notch lawnmowers for Sparrows ? Getting every aspect of the club on a sound footing will take a bit of time but I have little doubt TS will get there sooner rather than later.
    I was actually being sarcastic, it was a throw away comment in a way. However, Roland always had the money to invest in the medical team and new equipment, he chose not to. 
    I wasn’t digging at you. 👍
    I know, I didn’t take it that way either.
  • edited November 2020
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Think good old RD got it down to 0.5m operating loss a month in League 1. I doubt we are much worse off (excluding Covid) than that what with the salary cap, so maybe it is in the region now with Covid of £1m a month operating so some of that will be offset by sales, fingers crossed he only loses single digit millions! Still a big 'ouch' though.
    The accounts say otherwise. The operating loss was well over £10m in both 2018 and 2019. I think it’s unlikely the club will lose £20m in 20/21 because of reduced costs as well as revenue, but we know what it lost in L1 under RD because we have the accounts. We don’t have to rely on the nonsense spouted by Roland’s puppets.
    Depends which page/report you read, on the Baton accounts the fools managed to state "The profit for the year, after taxation, amounted to £10.442m (2018  -£10.447m). £1.28m was interest on group loans so a paper money swap in reality and a small sum for rent, again intra group

From memory there was also post balance sheet sales around £4m+ 
    The operating loss in the accounts is quoted before interest charges (and obviously before player trading).  The bottom line loss was £10m in each accounting year. You can look at this in various ways - the actual funding requirement for example - but no matter how you box it up it’s hard to see how the numbers support the idea that “RD got it down to 0.5m operating loss a month in League 1”. The operating losses reported equate to almost £1m a month in 2019 and well over £1m in 2018.

By operating loss I mean what did he have to put in during the accounting period as that ultimately is what the owner has lost to run the club for the year and ultimately what we are talking about here. So unless i've missed something glaringly obvious I read it as;

End of previous year there was £360k in the bank.
    Loan from Parent during the year of £5.694m
    Cash in bank at end of this period £482k

So the paper cash input required was around £5.4m, but remember £1.2m he pays back to himself in interest, so net net was £4.232m that he physically had to write a cheque for, the rest is all paper, accounting and noise. 

Just to add, I wouldn't personally include it in the above but the accounts also quote £4.2m received post balance sheet production and £221k spent, so basically if i'm right above the old codger is saying bar about £200k he broke even!
    You know perfectly well that the term operating loss, which you used, has a specific meaning and doesn’t take account of net income from player sales, as this doesn’t tell you anything about the relative performance of the day-to-day activities. But it will directly impact the funding requirement, potentially to a greater extent than the reported player trading profit because of the way fees are written down over contracts.

If we’re taking income from player sales into account then the £20m quoted in the title of this thread is even more unlikely.