Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Language blind spots

Comments

• ‘We’re being too reactionary!’ when shouted at a football match. 

No. We’re being too reactive. Reactionary means an ultra conservative outlook and the opposition to progress and reform. 
  • Stig said:
    I can't be asked.
    Ventokele.
    This one's correct.  I believe we may have had this discussion before (I've certainly had it with someone). I'd dig out the thread, but I can't be asked.
    Aksed!
  • Stig said:
    I can't be asked.
    Ventokele.
    This one's correct.  I believe we may have had this discussion before (I've certainly had it with someone). I'd dig out the thread, but I can't be asked.
    Aksed!
    Agree with you on that. I thought we were heading into Asked v Arsed territory.
  • Stig said:
    Stig said:
    I can't be asked.
    Ventokele.
    Aksed!
    Agree with you on that. I thought we were heading into Asked v Arsed territory.
    Lol. Annoying when the k is pronounced before the s
  • edited November 2020
    Off_it said:
    Reading the excellent @LouisMend interview with Lee Bowyer, I was tickled to see that Louis is under the impression that the word “respite” is spelled “rest-bite”.
    This reminded me of the excellent episode of ‘The IT Crowd’ where Jen thinks “put her on a pedestal” is “put her on a pedal-stool”
    and Roy thinks “Damp Squib” is “Damp squid”

I’ve heard that some people think the phrase “It’s a dog eat dog world” is “It’s a doggy-dog world”

I’m now trying to think of others, but what are your favourite language blind spots?
    Thats it mate, just copy Dave Gorman why don't you. 
    Eh?
    Dave Gorman done an episode on this very subject - even using the "doggy dog world" phrase (which I have never heard of before or since).
    Ok. Never seen it.
    That's where you've gone wrong. You're not allowed to start a topic about anything Golfie has already seen on the TV.

Regardless of whether you've seen it or not.
    Lol. I’m just waiting for the apology. Shouldn’t be waiting too long - golfie always admits when he’s wrong... 😉
    I'm not sure what you want me to apologise for.......the fact that you haven't seen a tv programme that was on the subject that you raise a thread about (and actually used the phrase "doggy dog" - and that you specifically said it was something that you had heard to have been said) or for calling you out on it.

Doesn't really matter. I humbly apologise for god knows what.
    For accusing the poster of copying Dave Gorman. Which you pacifically did. 
  • The whole asked v aksed thing is interesting. It used to be that aksed was correct in the 17th century. It evolved to asked in England but stayed the old way in the West Indies and was brought back in the 20th century by Caribbean migrants. 
  • rananegra said:
    The whole asked v aksed thing is interesting. It used to be that aksed was correct in the 17th century. It evolved to asked in England but stayed the old way in the West Indies and was brought back in the 20th century by Caribbean migrants. 
    But don't people say arksed not aksed (or asked) now?
  • edited November 2020
    rananegra said:
    The whole asked v aksed thing is interesting. It used to be that aksed was correct in the 17th century. It evolved to asked in England but stayed the old way in the West Indies and was brought back in the 20th century by Caribbean migrants. 
    Didn’t know that, more in link below. 

• Off_it said:
    Reading the excellent @LouisMend interview with Lee Bowyer, I was tickled to see that Louis is under the impression that the word “respite” is spelled “rest-bite”.
    This reminded me of the excellent episode of ‘The IT Crowd’ where Jen thinks “put her on a pedestal” is “put her on a pedal-stool”

I’ve heard that some people think the phrase “It’s a dog eat dog world” is “It’s a doggy-dog world”

I’m now trying to think of others, but what are your favourite language blind spots?
    Eh?
    Dave Gorman done an episode on this very subject - even using the "doggy dog world" phrase (which I have never heard of before or since).
    Ok. Never seen it.
    That's where you've gone wrong. You're not allowed to start a topic about anything Golfie has already seen on the TV.

Lol. I’m just waiting for the apology. Shouldn’t be waiting too long - golfie always admits when he’s wrong... 😉
    I'm not sure what you want me to apologise for.......the fact that you haven't seen a tv programme that was on the subject that you raise a thread about (and actually used the phrase "doggy dog" - and that you specifically said it was something that you had heard to have been said) or for calling you out on it.

Jesus Christ. I wasn’t serious. Have a day off from being miserable for crying out loud.
  • Piers Morgan just now on GMB: “it beggars the question”. It beggars belief he said that and begs the question if he knows what he’s talking about. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If I see one more person writing about heard immunity, I think I will try and infect them with something myself. 
  • Paul Konchelsky. 
  • Off_it said:

Eh?
    Ok. Never seen it.

Apology accepted. 
  • Paul Konchelsky. 
    Wasn't he asked what part of Bulgaria he comes from and he replied Barking.
  • The difference between "amount" and "number".

For example, it's "amount of beer" but "number of pints".
  • People who use the word prawns instead of pawns in naming chess pieces.
  • Priti Patel consistently says "counterterrorism offences".

• Uboat said:
    ‘We’re being too reactionary!’ when shouted at a football match. 

No. We’re being too reactive. Reactionary means an ultra conservative outlook and the opposition to progress and reform. 
    People actually shout ‘we’re being too reactionary!’ at a football match?
    Well i never.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    People who use the word ‘literally’ wrongly. I am literally going to explode if I don’t get a few likes for this.
    **Edited**
  • I bet @SoundAsa£ is loving this thread!
  • People who use the word ‘literarily’ wrongly. I am literarily going to explode if I don’t get a few likes for this.
    Do you mean"literally"?

"Literarily" means in relation to literature.
    And I thought I could spell. Note to self: never post before 7am. I am literally going to tear my hair out at my incompetence.
  • When will crowds be aloud back at games? 🤦‍♂️

• Someone didn't quite get this right.

Love Concurs All Or wait is it conquers Yup  Misspelled tattoos Tattoo  fails Bad tattoos
  • edited November 2020
    I just read a post on facebook where someone wrote: "..you feel like you have been pushed [from] pillow to post".  :D
  • edited December 2020
    Escape goat.

Is that Bogle's way out of training?
  • edited December 2020
    Addickted said:
    You've got another think coming.

For all intensive purposes.

Expresso coffee.

I changed my life by 360 degrees.

Momento.

This thread could run and run for the site's pedants.......
    ... Is actually correct. 'Thing' makes no sense, and appears to have entered usage because Glen Tipton and Rob Halford were ignorant brummies...
    Both "think" and "thing" make sense, in different ways.

For instance, a teacher says to their pupils: "If you think you can get away with not revising properly and still pass your exams...

...you've got another think coming" means 'You need to rethink'.

...you've got another thing coming" means 'Something else will happen [i.e. you will fail your exams]'.

If "thing" is indeed the more recent usage, then it's surely because we run together the "k" at the end of "think" and the "c" at the beginning of "coming" rather than because of any ignorance.

But both are absolutely fine :-)