Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Language blind spots

Comments

• Options
    People who say titbits instead of tidbits 
    Titbit is the preferred spelling outside of the USA and Canada. It's listed as titbit in the OED, with tidbit as a North American variant.

• Options
    Always think of these types  of errors as Delboy-isms. 

One I have been guilty of much to my linguistically superior best mate's great amusement are

Par de cours (I thought it was french for something) rather than par for the course.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    When the missus uses the term tiny regarding my cock.....when she obviously, clearly means massive. 
    Well she says mine's massive so mine must be tiny.

:-)
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Haitch
    This.
  • Options
    Prostrate instead of prostate
  • Options
    Reading the excellent @LouisMend interview with Lee Bowyer, I was tickled to see that Louis is under the impression that the word “respite” is spelled “rest-bite”.
    This reminded me of the excellent episode of ‘The IT Crowd’ where Jen thinks “put her on a pedestal” is “put her on a pedal-stool”
    and Roy thinks “Damp Squib” is “Damp squid”

I’ve heard that some people think the phrase “It’s a dog eat dog world” is “It’s a doggy-dog world”

I’m now trying to think of others, but what are your favourite language blind spots?
    Thats it mate, just copy Dave Gorman why don't you. 
    Eh?
    Dave Gorman done an episode on this very subject - even using the "doggy dog world" phrase (which I have never heard of before or since).
    Ok. Never seen it.
  • Options
    Per Say / Per se
  • Options
    Centred around instead of centred upon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Escape goat.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Reading the excellent @LouisMend interview with Lee Bowyer, I was tickled to see that Louis is under the impression that the word “respite” is spelled “rest-bite”.
    This reminded me of the excellent episode of ‘The IT Crowd’ where Jen thinks “put her on a pedestal” is “put her on a pedal-stool”

I’ve heard that some people think the phrase “It’s a dog eat dog world” is “It’s a doggy-dog world”

I’m now trying to think of others, but what are your favourite language blind spots?
    Eh?
    Dave Gorman done an episode on this very subject - even using the "doggy dog world" phrase (which I have never heard of before or since).
    Ok. Never seen it.
    That's where you've gone wrong. You're not allowed to start a topic about anything Golfie has already seen on the TV.

Regardless of whether you've seen it or not.
    Lol. I’m just waiting for the apology. Shouldn’t be waiting too long - golfie always admits when he’s wrong... 😉
  • Options
    I work for the Civil Aviation Authority, alongside a concerningly large number of people who think that the plural of aircraft is aircrafts.
  • Options
    All that glitters is not gold should of course be glisters.
  • Options
    It's time that we brought back arcane words such as 'glisters'.

I'm a great fan of 'eftsoons', although I have unoften used it since hobbledehoydom as it is so selcouth.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I hear people say now, "The proof is in the pudding". 
    What's that supposed to mean?

I was taught at school, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating!" ....... ?

• Options
    Can you be more pacific about that.
  • Options
    I can't be asked.
    Ventokele.
  • Options
    I think his gonna score in a minute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't be asked.
    Ventokele.
    This one's correct.  I believe we may have had this discussion before (I've certainly had it with someone). I'd dig out the thread, but I can't be asked.
  • Options
    All that glitters is not gold should of course be glisters.
    Lovely song. Some faces in there -

https://youtu.be/RWUOU85Gmng
  • Options

I ain't done nothing.
  • Options
    An old chap I knew lamented the passing of the word betrothed.  

Engaged to him meant someone was busy or the toilet was occupied.
  • Options
    Damp Squid is my favourite because i  definitely said that on CL about 5 years ago!
    and at least 3 others have followed the fishy path.

"Will you borrow me your....  was a frequent faux Pas in bygone days at my Alma mater.

• Options
    Cheap at half the price,should surely be, cheap at double the price?
    I called exactly the same thing out on the original thread. 

I think it’s explained in there somewhere as a perfectly correct phrase. 

Every day is a school day. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Eh?
    Ok. Never seen it.
    That's where you've gone wrong. You're not allowed to start a topic about anything Golfie has already seen on the TV.

Regardless of whether you've seen it or not.
    Lol. I’m just waiting for the apology. Shouldn’t be waiting too long - golfie always admits when he’s wrong... 😉
    I'm not sure what you want me to apologise for.......the fact that you haven't seen a tv programme that was on the subject that you raise a thread about (and actually used the phrase "doggy dog" - and that you specifically said it was something that you had heard to have been said) or for calling you out on it.

Doesn't really matter. I humbly apologise for god knows what.