Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Fleetwood Town | Tuesday 3rd November 2020 | Post Match thread

Comments

• Options
    A great win against a very good side at this level. 

I would like to see us hold on to the ball better at times - only 35% possession - but not complaining one bit.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Moo said:
    Can’t see poor Levitt getting in this side. 
    Apart from the Cup games, I totally agree.

Crazy he has got in the side before Morgan.

In fact, I'll stick my neck out now. I reckon he could well go back to Man Utd in January.
    The only reason we might keep him is that as an U21 his wages (if we pay any) don't count towards the cap

Man U might not be happy though!
    Good points.

But, as you say, I can't see United being happy if he doesn't play. In that respect, I'd love to know whether there is a clause in the loan agreement that he has to be in the 16 if fit.
    I'm always a bit suspicious when a loan player keeps appearing on the bench but never seems to come on...

He's been in the 18 in every match, started 3, been on the bench in the other 7 matches and NEVER come on.

He's starting to look like a last resort signing, in that period before TS took over when we had no money and he was all we could bring in. Once the finance arrived, we could and would do better
    I think we're being ridiculously harsh on Levitt. He put in a really good showing against Lincoln, then couldn't pick the Sunderland lock and was a little cowed in storm conditions at Northampton. He's obviously a classy player and I think he has a part to play this season, especially when we groove a little more as an attacking force 
    You obviously don't play for United and your country at such a young age without a huge amount of talent. But I've seen absolutely nothing from him in any of the games he has played to say he has been classy for us. 

Anyway, let's not get hang up on him tonight after such a cracking game. Which he watched from the subs bench. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I certainly don't think Doughty uses the ball particularly well yet. His pace and directness is a weapon but he won't help a possession game. Not that without him we've gone for that either. 
  • Options
    First watch of the season for me, very impressed with Washington’s all round game, not so impressed with central midfield. Know it won’t happen but would love to build the team round Albie - proper player who plays with his head up. Gunther was quality and Pratley too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Moo said:
    Apart from the Cup games, I totally agree.

Crazy he has got in the side before Morgan.

In fact, I'll stick my neck out now. I reckon he could well go back to Man Utd in January.
    The only reason we might keep him is that as an U21 his wages (if we pay any) don't count towards the cap

Man U might not be happy though!
    Good points.

But, as you say, I can't see United being happy if he doesn't play. In that respect, I'd love to know whether there is a clause in the loan agreement that he has to be in the 16 if fit.
    I'm always a bit suspicious when a loan player keeps appearing on the bench but never seems to come on...

He's been in the 18 in every match, started 3, been on the bench in the other 7 matches and NEVER come on.

He's starting to look like a last resort signing, in that period before TS took over when we had no money and he was all we could bring in. Once the finance arrived, we could and would do better
    I think we're being ridiculously harsh on Levitt. He put in a really good showing against Lincoln, then couldn't pick the Sunderland lock and was a little cowed in storm conditions at Northampton. He's obviously a classy player and I think he has a part to play this season, especially when we groove a little more as an attacking force 
    You obviously don't play for United and your country at such a young age without a huge amount of talent. But I've seen absolutely nothing from him in any of the games he has played to say he has been classy for us. 

Anyway, let's not get hang up on him tonight after such a cracking game. Which he watched from the subs bench. 
    Also going to be plenty of opportunities for Levitt yet

Still a LOT of Football and a good few injuries / suspensions to come
    It didn't feel quite right liking a post that predicts we'll have lots of injuries and suspensions, but I'm sure it's true. It's far too early to write Levitt off. There's a quality player in there, he just needs to get used to playing in a league that's so physical.  I hope hope he gets a chance to play in the cup for us and prove some of the doubters wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Supporters who purchased the game on Valley Pass can watch Bowyer's full post-game press conference.

The press conference is also available for Valley Pass subscribers.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5fa1db1441ccd/bowyer-were-well-ahead-of-where-we-should-be-theyre-getting-fitter-and-better

• Options
    18 points in 17 days! At this rate we'll finish on 209 points. 

• Options
    MattF said:
    Moo said:
    Thing is i can see United recalling him January if he doesn't play, would
    that be a bad thing, he seems to be struggling to get a foothold
    and Lee clearly doesn't see him as a regular in the side.
    Downside to him going back would be that whatever wages we're paying him (if any) aren't counting towards the cap, and it then becomes a case of do we roll the dice for another kid who won't likely have played any senior football this season
    He is taking up a loan spot though. So could be an opportunity to take a look at the squad and bring in a different loanee. Another striker to cover/compete with Washington could be a good shout. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    RC_CAFC said:
    Leuth said:
    LenGlover said:
    Moo said:
    I don't see Levitt offering anything Albie doesn't or could.
    They're different players. One's an attacking midfielder and the other one's a deep-lying playmaker. Levitt gets in the side if Pratley and Watson are unavailable, or we fancy knocking it about a bit more
    But Levitt can't do the defensive job Pratley and Washington can do, Shinnie is our set piece king, and in terms of creative passes, is Levitt any better than Morgan?
    Give the kid a chance! He's only 18/19 and only been here 5 minutes. We have played some very tricky sides recently where you want the trusted 'old heads'. Over the course of the season when he settles into the squad, i am sure we will see some more of him and we can see what he brings. 

He is a very different player to Morgan.
    Whilst I agree, with Gilbey coming back, that’s another midfielder fit. Morgan did well tonight too. January could be another chance to push on, but with a wage cap. 

Levitt, ‘the best passer of a ball at united’ will no doubt come good. I just don’t think he’s gonna be necessary for us this season. 
  • Options
    Wonder if Lee has broken it down into the 9game blocks again. First 9 ended with Portsmouth W6 D1 L2. 19 points. Second 9 starts with a win, wonder how many we’ll get from this block? With the fixtures coming up I’d say 20-22 isn’t unrealistic to aim for. That would give put us around 40points after 18. Too early to predict we’ll have the league win by March? I’m going to go lay down. 
  • Options
    great result great result and no shortage of resolve, this squad are going places this year. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moo said:
    He'll play in the Cup on Saturday

• Options
    Wonder if Lee has broken it down into the 9game blocks again. First 9 ended with Portsmouth W6 D1 L2. 19 points. Second 9 starts with a win, wonder how many we’ll get from this block? With the fixtures coming up I’d say 20-22 isn’t unrealistic to aim for. That would give put us around 40points after 18. Too early to predict we’ll have the league win by March? I’m going to go lay down. 
    I've no idea whether he has or not. Surely if he has though, getting the first supportive owner of his managerial career would be significant enough to start counting again from then.
  • Options
    Barton post-match comments:

“It was a really good game”

“After Evans two goals, only thinking about winning the game, we were the better side, the better footballing team”

“They’re a big physical side, Lee has set them up well. They’ll be efficient in this league due to that physicality “

...but we fouled them more and when you add in the 65% of possession we had makes us quite physical as well, and of course Evans clearly fouled their player when he scored our second from another lump up front, and obviously we bought down their player in the box and we had no other chances after that and....blah blah blah.